Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I'm talking more along the lines of the level designs in generations it just goes from cool, cheery looking levels and now sonic is in a loving hellscape fighting godzilla lizards.

Like where did it all go wrong.
being in a hellscape fighting godzilla lizards is cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

DoctorWhat posted:

OH MY GOD THIS ROOFTOP RUN MODERN RUN IS MAKING ME FURIOUS

HE RAN OUT OF BOOST, HE DIDN'T DO CLOCKTOWER SKIP (WHICH EVEN I CAN DO), HE'S NOT M-SPEEDING, HE'S poo poo poo poo poo poo!!!

fcuk

I was gonna make fun of you, but you know what,

We'll be ok, we are in this together.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

DoctorWhat posted:

DarkspineSonic was on the couch for SA2 and he runs Generations and he's probably better than Talon is.

He's 100% better, at least he can do m-speed and out of bound glitches with a fair degree of consistency

He's hells of more charismatic (and dreamy :allears:) too!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

DoctorWhat posted:

HE RAN OUT OF BOOST BEFORE THE GODDAMN BARRELS, HE DIDN'T DO CLOCKTOWER SKIP (WHICH EVEN I CAN DO), HE'S NOT M-SPEEDING, HE'S poo poo poo poo poo poo!!!

fcuk

Calm down, go submit your run next year or whatever

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

aaaaah forgot to jump.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Lord Chumley posted:

I was gonna make fun of you, but you know what,

We'll be ok, we are in this together.

i'm gonna bust out this new "shadowplay" thing on my new laptop and record my run of Rooftop Run Modern and trounce this motherfucker

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I'm the guy with the sweet as hell sonic 'tar and I'm pretty sure this dude is gonna give himself a stroke/heart attack by the end of this sonic block

DoctorWhat posted:

and then, ROOFTOP RUN!

it went back to okay! Planet Wisp, too!

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

DoctorWhat posted:

HE RAN OUT OF BOOST BEFORE THE GODDAMN BARRELS, HE DIDN'T DO CLOCKTOWER SKIP (WHICH EVEN I CAN DO), HE'S NOT M-SPEEDING, HE'S poo poo poo poo poo poo!!!

fcuk

"I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG RUNNER!!!" - Doctor Nagman

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

fcuk

it's just a video game you weirdo

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

beep by grandpa posted:

I'm the guy with the sweet as hell sonic 'tar and I'm pretty sure this dude is gonna give himself a stroke/heart attack by the end of this sonic block

i'm dropping out after Generations, I have no interest in watching a Heroes run.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Get rid of the Twiddle bros and bring back the SA2 couch. If anything they'll bring up the energy and he'll stop choking.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

it's just a video game you weirdo

but he's being bad and slow on a charity stream about being good and fast

it's awful.

Sage Grimm posted:

Get rid of the Twiddle bros and bring back the SA2 couch. If anything they'll bring up the energy and he'll stop choking.

the game's almost over. It's like one stage, a couple of missions, and a couple of bossfights away from over.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

make fun of him but dont weep bloody tears

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
The real tradgedy here is not 3 3D sonics in a row, its that the pinball stream is down and joe is asleep so it won't be back up for a while.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

They really need set couchers on every run or just wake up Spike Vegeta and get him to comment on everything.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Endorph posted:

Save that for Castlevania.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Endorph posted:

bloody tears

^^drat same minute^^

wrong series fool

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Endorph posted:

i'm gonna do better, I'm gonna beat all his Modern Stage GDQ times over the next couple of days and put them on youtube.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

weekly font posted:

There's an awful awful thread on Reddit about why this AGDQ is so dull and they site a whole bunch of horribly nerdshoe bullshit and not the fact that every third speedrunner is loving garbage at the game.

In fairness, the first two days of every GDQ event usually suck pretty hard. They usually put a good run or two at the start (SGDQ '14 had Mario 3D World, for example) but then it's like 36 hours of lame stuff.

At least tonight we'll have the Early FPS block, that's always good stuff.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
If I hadn't looked at this thread I wouldn't have known I wasn't supposed to like this run because some cosplay nerd thinks he can do so much better

Dude's doing a great job commentating while playing and is solid at the game (his PB is less than 20 seconds from the WR), a lot of the (few) things that have handed can be chalked up to marathon luck and safe strats

Stop getting so upset at videogames

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

flatluigi posted:

solid at the game

ahahaaha

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

In fairness, the first two days of every GDQ event usually suck pretty hard. They usually put a good run or two at the start (SGDQ '14 had Mario 3D World, for example) but then it's like 36 hours of lame stuff.

At least tonight we'll have the Early FPS block, that's always good stuff.

Excuse me, F-Zero is coming up. Also, I think Tropical Freeze was a perfect start this year.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

i'm gonna do better, I'm gonna beat all his Modern Stage GDQ times over the next couple of days and put them on youtube.

no one will care

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

flatluigi posted:

If I hadn't looked at this thread I wouldn't have known I wasn't supposed to like this run because some cosplay nerd thinks he can do so much better

Dude's doing a great job commentating while playing and is solid at the game (his PB is less than 20 seconds from the WR), a lot of the (few) things that have handed can be chalked up to marathon luck and safe strats

Stop getting so upset at videogames

full-game wrs are pointless in Generations, ILs are the actual measure of skill. He's OKAY at safe-strats and the missions and other gimmicks,, but safe strats are boring and no one cares about the missions.

Brother Entropy posted:

no one will care

it'll make me feel better.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

You might want to read more than four words of my post

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
I think DoctorWhat is one of the guys on the couch and the reason why they look so upset is because he is mad at this runner.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

flatluigi posted:

You might want to read more than four words of my post

I did. Dude admitted he can't do the speed run tricks you need to do to SPEEDRUN THE GAME.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah fzero run is going to salvage this sonic poo poo.

those games are actually fast :colbert:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

"Unfortunately I'm too fast"

lol

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

DoctorWhat irl

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

DoctorWhat posted:

full-game wrs are pointless in Generations, ILs are the actual measure of skill. He's OKAY at safe-strats and the missions and other gimmicks,, but safe strats are boring and no one cares about the missions.

it'll make me feel better.

You don't do ILs in a marathon setting. You grind ILs individually for hours at a time.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Yeah, that F-Zero GX run from last year was the most exciting run all stream, and even though I've never personally played F-Zero, it singlehandedly got me really excited for the whole block

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvrepvisxA0
Everyone should watch this

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Mr E posted:

Excuse me, F-Zero is coming up. Also, I think Tropical Freeze was a perfect start this year.

You're right, I forgot F-Zero was today too. I love the F-Zero stuff. Tropical Freeze was really good but that was kinda my point.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Sonic the floathog

SeXReX posted:

The real tradgedy here is not 3 3D sonics in a row, its that the pinball stream is down and joe is asleep so it won't be back up for a while.

We really need Sonic 06 speedrun.

It actually does have some broken speedrun things in it.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

DoctorWhat posted:

The thing about marathon runs is that IL strats tend to be extremely risky and don't matter as much in the context of the marathon and if you aren't willing to not go for IL strats every time you end up with stuff like the mario kart wii run.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

You don't do ILs in a marathon setting. You grind ILs individually for hours at a time.

Yeah this

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Then they should exhibit Sonic Generations at *GDQ in a more IL-friendly context. Better, more tech-capable runners to maximize hype.

Mainly it's the M-Speed thing. It's The Thing when it comes to going fast in Modern Levels but he's not even confident in using it on a boss fight.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
The opening run of donkey kong tropical freeze owned and will be hard to top. Really good commentary and the person playing it obviously completely owned at the game. Also a good game to watch being speed run too, pretty looking and fast paced gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

flatluigi posted:

yeah, how dare someone who cosplays insult the good people of the awesome games done quick marathon

wait

hrm

• Locked thread