Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

rjmccall posted:

but since this is silicon valley, we can achieve an equivalent measure of social value by carefully determining the peak usage hours and rigging the upper deck to collapse

100x this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

quote:

LaForge suggests Barclay get counseling from Troi, whose counterpart on the holodeck displays clear signs of sexual attraction towards Barclay.

:lol:

even in 1990 we knew how this was going to turn out

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Bloody posted:

reminder: install cloud-to-butt

do it while you're drunk or distracted or something so you forget, cloud-to-butt is even funnier if you don't realize it's installed

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

ultramiraculous posted:

:lol:

even in 1990 we knew how this was going to turn out

TNG predicted MMOs eight years early.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

if I was Google I would make the employees ride literal school buses. like yellow school buses.

the man children would love it.

nasa does exactly that here

Sagebrush posted:

motorcyclists shouldn't have to follow any of the rules except for red lights and right of way.

motorcyclists are allowed to treat red lights like stop signs hth

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

bullshit; no proper nasa logo :colbert:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Citizen Tayne posted:

TNG predicted MMOs eight years early.

cyberpunk literature predicted them like twenty years early, and i'm sure the concept existed in some other kind of sci-fi well before that

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

motorcyclists are allowed to treat red lights like stop signs hth

can you show me the relevant section of the california highway code? i know this is true for sensored red lights if your motorcycle isn't triggering them to change and you've waited the equivalent of one full light cycle, but i don't think it applies to all red lights in general

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

nasa's least impressive shuttle

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

cyberpunk literature predicted them like twenty years early, and i'm sure the concept existed in some other kind of sci-fi well before that

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

qntm posted:

nasa's least impressive shuttle

it's always late, costs you more than it should, but it doesn't explode into a massive fireball so it might be their best

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

you must be insufferable irl

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Citizen Tayne posted:

seems to be actually pretty ok

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

can you show me the relevant section of the california highway code? i know this is true for sensored red lights if your motorcycle isn't triggering them to change and you've waited the equivalent of one full light cycle, but i don't think it applies to all red lights in general

ok it looks like they've decided to update the code to enforce the installation of actuators that can read motorcycles and having it be covered under signal blackout rules (when a light is out) instead of pushing through a specific exemption

that's really surprising b/c i thought for sure i had read this in the dmv handbook this summer

interesting too due to the state having otherwise some of the most motorcycle-friendly law in the nation - the onus being on the driver to determine if a signal is actuated is a little much

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sagebrush posted:

cyberpunk didn't predict mmos in 1971.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

why not have a maximum cycle time where no matter what the lights change every 30 seconds or whatever so you don't have spend a fuckton of money on special systems for motorcylces and bicycles

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
b/c that's how traffic patterns get hosed up. for poo poo to work properly you need sensors and modeling that extends beyond just a single light.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Citizen Tayne posted:

just wait for it, a few more --

Nintendo Kid posted:

there we go

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Shaggar posted:

b/c that's how traffic patterns get hosed up. for poo poo to work properly you need sensors and modeling that extends beyond just a single light.

particularly for certain movements like protected left turn signalling you don't want it triggering every cycle if you can help it

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Bloody posted:

why not have a maximum cycle time where no matter what the lights change every 30 seconds or whatever so you don't have spend a fuckton of money on special systems for motorcylces and bicycles
replace all signal lights with colored strobes, problem solved

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Nintendo Kid posted:

i was in the ultima online beta test

it was terrible

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

well yeah but you probably also don't want to spend another 50k at every intersection because you've been in the red for a decade and your bridges are collapsing and you probably also don't want to abandon motorcyclists and bicyclists in those positions forever

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

FMguru posted:

ban private automobiles in urban areas, problem solved

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

FMguru posted:

replace all signal lights with roundabouts, problem solved

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Bloody posted:

abandon motorcyclists and bicyclists in those positions forever

do that

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

replace all intersections with roundabouts, require immediate re-licensing of all drivers to ensure they know how to use them (and simultaneously get all the lovely ones off the road, i estimate this would cut the number of drivers in half), problem solved

what this country needs is a good milquetoast fascist dictator

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

particularly for certain movements like protected left turn signalling you don't want it triggering every cycle if you can help it

yeah most of the time the real problem is in the modeling of the intersection. either its out of date or someone hosed with it. you can tell when stuff is setup properly cause you don't wait long.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Bloody posted:

well yeah but you probably also don't want to spend another 50k at every intersection because you've been in the red for a decade and your bridges are collapsing and you probably also don't want to abandon motorcyclists and bicyclists in those positions forever

motorcycles are an edge case that isn't worth designing around and bicycles do not belong on roads.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

amazing to think that we live in a country where the president would be more likely to be impeached for making everyone in the country take a driving test than for spying on them, holding them without trial, promoting unbelievable wealth disparity, etc

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
  • "Rip up all city streets with jackhammers" and "sod the streets at once.... All public movement would be by foot and a fleet of bicycles, maintained by the city police force."
  • "Change the name 'Aspen', by public referendum, to 'Fat City'. This would prevent greedheads, land-rapers and other human jackals from capitalizing on the name 'Aspen'.... These swine should be hosed, broken, and driven across the land."
  • "Drug Sales must be controlled. My first act as Sheriff will be to install, on the courthouse lawn, a bastinado platform and a set of stocks in order to punish dishonest dope dealers in a proper public fashion. Each year these dealers cheat millions of people out of millions of dollars.... it will be the general philosophy of the Sheriff’s office that no drug worth taking should be sold for money."
  • "Hunting and fishing should be forbidden to all non-residents, with the exception of those who can obtain the signed endorsement of a resident- who will then be legally responsible for any violation or abuse committed by the non-resident he has ‘signed for’…. By this approach-making hundreds or even thousands of individuals personally responsible for protecting the animals, fish and birds who live here-we would create a sort of de facto game preserve, without the harsh restrictions that will necessarily be forced on us if these blood-thirsty geeks keep swarming in here each autumn to shoot everything they see."
  • "The Sheriff and his Deputies should never be armed in public. Every urban riot, shoot-out and blood-bath (involving guns) in recent memory has been set off by some trigger-happy cop in a fear frenzy."
  • "It will be the policy of the Sheriff’s office savagely to harass all those engaged in any form of land-rape."

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

qirex posted:

Andrew Borovsky, a founder of a design agency acquired by Square who went on to lead product design for Square’s Wallet app, has left Jack Dorsey’s company. Borovsky announced the news on Twitter on Thursday. Borovsky’s departure comes eight months after Square pulled its digital wallet app, Square Wallet, in favor of an order-ahead app called Square Order that lets users place pickup orders at participating coffee shops and cafes. Both products have been part of Jack Dorsey’s mission to score a breakout hit with consumers that would give merchants an extra reason to use Square’s suite of payment processing and business management tools rather than a competitor’s. Square is still looking for that consumer hit.

i like the imagine the square execs sitting in a conference room together watching the apple pay announcement, and suddenly a gentle smell of poo poo starts wafting out of the room

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

prefect posted:

• "Rip up all city streets with jackhammers" and "sod the streets at once.... All public movement would be by foot and a fleet of bicycles, maintained by the city police force."
  • "Change the name 'Aspen', by public referendum, to 'Fat City'. This would prevent greedheads, land-rapers and other human jackals from capitalizing on the name 'Aspen'.... These swine should be hosed, broken, and driven across the land."
  • "Drug Sales must be controlled. My first act as Sheriff will be to install, on the courthouse lawn, a bastinado platform and a set of stocks in order to punish dishonest dope dealers in a proper public fashion. Each year these dealers cheat millions of people out of millions of dollars.... it will be the general philosophy of the Sheriff’s office that no drug worth taking should be sold for money."
  • "Hunting and fishing should be forbidden to all non-residents, with the exception of those who can obtain the signed endorsement of a resident- who will then be legally responsible for any violation or abuse committed by the non-resident he has ‘signed for’…. By this approach-making hundreds or even thousands of individuals personally responsible for protecting the animals, fish and birds who live here-we would create a sort of de facto game preserve, without the harsh restrictions that will necessarily be forced on us if these blood-thirsty geeks keep swarming in here each autumn to shoot everything they see."
  • "The Sheriff and his Deputies should never be armed in public. Every urban riot, shoot-out and blood-bath (involving guns) in recent memory has been set off by some trigger-happy cop in a fear frenzy."
  • "It will be the policy of the Sheriff’s office savagely to harass all those engaged in any form of land-rape."

lol

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
gently caress roundabouts

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sagebrush posted:

amazing to think that we live in a country where the president would be more likely to be impeached for making everyone in the country take a driving test than for spying on them, holding them without trial, promoting unbelievable wealth disparity, etc

if you take away the major way people get to work a lot of people would be mad, yes

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

computer parts posted:

if you take away the major way people get to work a lot of people would be mad, yes

if you cannot demonstrate on the spot that you can operate a motor vehicle at least as well as a sixteen-year-old with ten hours behind the wheel, it is absolutely not safe for you to be driving on public highways and everyone would benefit from your removal from the road

i mean hey i'm not suggesting we revoke the licenses for anyone but those people who can't pass the test they already passed once. what's so bad about that? why are you scared? what are you worried about??

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm planning on moving closer to my job to have a bus route available since when class is in the foreign students are possibly the worst drivers I've ever had to deal with and I've been on the LIE and the beltway

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

i mean hey i'm not suggesting we revoke the licenses for anyone but those people who can't pass the test they already passed once. what's so bad about that? why are you scared? what are you worried about??

it's a good idea but olds will never let it happen

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

also the first time i took the driving test the examiner failed me for two things: not being able to identify/turn on the "parking lights" and for pulling over into a spot she told me to pull over into. (the rules specifically said you wouldn't be dinged for following the instructions of the instructor, but the rules were a lie!)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

duTrieux. posted:

also the first time i took the driving test the examiner failed me for two things: not being able to identify/turn on the "parking lights" and for pulling over into a spot she told me to pull over into. (the rules specifically said you wouldn't be dinged for following the instructions of the instructor, but the rules were a lie!)

what are "parking lights"?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

she meant the parking brake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Sagebrush posted:

people get failed on driving tests for bullshit reasons all the time. its bad enough when it just means having to retake the test, it could be devastating if your lifestyle depends on your ability to drive

• Locked thread