Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Helmet 10 Warehouse posted:

I made the necessary fanart.

The thread can now continue as normal.

I am quite happy this was made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Genocyber posted:

WW is great. One of the first games I actually managed to beat (tho not without a strategy guide). Eager to see if Geop will do better or worse than my 10-year old self.

I still have my strategy guide for the original game which I used for a couple of the sidequests in the HD version. Can't wait to watch this LP though I'll have to wait until I get off from work tomorrow.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
The "active looking" thing Panzer mentioned is a really good technique for building believable NPC AI. People tend to not just look forward all the time, they swivel their heads and move their eyes to focus on different things in the environment. NPCs that snap their focus at objects in the world seem like they're actual people in an actual world. I know they used it in Red Dead Redemtion, but I have no idea if Rockstar bothered paying royalties to Nintendo.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Kabanaw posted:

The "active looking" thing Panzer mentioned is a really good technique for building believable NPC AI. People tend to not just look forward all the time, they swivel their heads and move their eyes to focus on different things in the environment. NPCs that snap their focus at objects in the world seem like they're actual people in an actual world. I know they used it in Red Dead Redemtion, but I have no idea if Rockstar bothered paying royalties to Nintendo.

Although it can also make them look worse if they're just constantly swiveling their head to try and track multiple things, like in Bethsoft games.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Genocyber posted:

Although it can also make them look worse if they're just constantly swiveling their head to try and track multiple things, like in Bethsoft games.

I can only imagine what wonderful bugs could happen, like swiveling so fast it turns into headbanging and going wide-eyed because each eye is tracking a different target.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

I'm confused about one thing though. I remember in playing Silent Hill II that James will look at important objects you can grab. That game came out about a year earlier than Nintendo. Does the patent just apply to NPCs?

Also I'm so excited to watch this, Geop. :neckbeard:

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Kabanaw posted:

Chicken Doodle posted:

I'm confused about one thing though. I remember in playing Silent Hill II that James will look at important objects you can grab. That game came out about a year earlier than Nintendo. Does the patent just apply to NPCs?

Also I'm so excited to watch this, Geop. :neckbeard:

Oh boy I get to jabber about software patents! The specific patent I'm referring to is this one right here, I loving love the patent art on this by the way its incredible. This became active in May of 2001, and Silent Hill 2 came out September that same year. It's likely Konami already had the James Looks At Things system in the game already and put it out ignoring the patent. v:confused:v Though maybe they paid royalties, we'll never know. This isn't a who made it first argument either, though, as I have no idea how long the project cycle was for Windwaker or when they first put it into the game, but they certainly filed the legal documents first.

As an aside, software patents in games is some major horseshit garbage. I won't derail the thread over it but this poo poo makes me so angry. :mad:

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Kuvo posted:

also windwaker has the best music in the zelda series and i will fight anyone who disagrees

Indeed it does sir! Although I will add a caveat that it doesn't have the best dungeon music, which is still held by the Stone Tower Temple from Majora's Mask.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

The Bahamas pigs aren't the only swimming pigs, they're just good at it in general. Thinking about it, the reason why there are pigs in this game is probably because IRL pigs were one of the farm animals (along with dogs and chickens) that the Polynesians brought with them when they migrated out to various islands chains. It's probably good to have animals that can swim when they accidentally fall off the boat!

I really love Wind Waker, it's such an expressive and colorful game. I know people don't like the sailing but I actually really liked it most of the time because I love how open and expansive the world feels when you're on the sea.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Panzer Skank posted:

Oh boy I get to jabber about software patents! The specific patent I'm referring to is this one right here, I loving love the patent art on this by the way its incredible. This became active in May of 2001, and Silent Hill 2 came out September that same year. It's likely Konami already had the James Looks At Things system in the game already and put it out ignoring the patent. v:confused:v Though maybe they paid royalties, we'll never know. This isn't a who made it first argument either, though, as I have no idea how long the project cycle was for Windwaker or when they first put it into the game, but they certainly filed the legal documents first.

As an aside, software patents in games is some major horseshit garbage. I won't derail the thread over it but this poo poo makes me so angry. :mad:

A lot of games I play have this feature like MGS4 and MGS5:GZ. Though it's extremely subtle (I once left MGS4 running and noticed how Snake's head bobs back and forth and realized it was tracking enemies on screen) making me wonder just how much Nintendo benefits from this.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jan 5, 2015

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I don't know about video games, but for the software industry patents are basically mutually assured destruction. All the big companies infringe each others' patents all the time in a sort of "if you sue us into oblivion you're going down with us" understanding. In this way, there's a bit of collusion going on to squish notable up-and-comers who want to use patented but widely used techniques.

The entire software patent industry is basically terrible, to the point that there are entire websites dedicated to striking down patents by finding prior art before they're granted.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Jsor posted:

I don't know about video games, but for the software industry patents are basically mutually assured destruction. All the big companies infringe each others' patents all the time in a sort of "if you sue us into oblivion you're going down with us" understanding. In this way, there's a bit of collusion going on to squish notable up-and-comers who want to use patented but widely used techniques.

It is absolutely the same in the game industry. I feel like the entire situation is so complex it's hard to explain but you nailed it pretty well.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Panzer Skank posted:

Grim Fandango did it back in 1998, so it's not exactly a "New" idea when it was patented in the first place.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

pointlessone posted:

Grim Fandango did it back in 1998, so it's not exactly a "New" idea when it was patented in the first place.

The US Patent Office is widely considered... how to put this... ah, "fundamentally incompetent" at gauging whether a given software technique is novel enough to be a legitimate patentable invention. Most software patents probably wouldn't hold up under a fair court case, but it's easy to draw out a legal battle long enough to win by sheer attrition (except against another big company, in which case see "mutually assured destruction").

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.

Jsor posted:

That's pretty much how the mobile phone industry worked as well, until Apple came along. Since they weren't in the club they got enforced against, they enforced their own patents back, and it all turned into a hideous and very expensive mess where nobody came out well except the lawyers.

I am actually in the same boat as Geop - played no Zelda since Link To The Past. Looking forward to getting things explained to me along with him.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
In looking up the original release date, I saw Grim Fandango AND Day of the Tentacle are getting remastered version releases from Double Fine Studios! Grim Fandango is one of my favorite games, and now I'm all excited about it, it's supposed to be released this month. Getting a version that will run on a modern system will make me so happy.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
This game has the best camera angles.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The lobster shirt rocks. Right, Aonuma?

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Panzer Skank posted:

I wholeheartedly encourage this sorta stuff :v: Maybe if we get a nice stack of info, I'll gut one of my earlier posts and use it as a quote-box of sorts!

WaltherFeng posted:

This game has the best camera angles.

I hovered over that for a while when I was editing :3: Amazing.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Panzer Skank posted:

The specific patent I'm referring to is this one right here, I loving love the patent art on this by the way its incredible.

Nintendo has the best patent art.

METHOD AND APPARATUS FOR PROVIDING INTERESTING AND EXCITING VIDEO GAME PLAY USING A STABILITY/ENERGY METER

SYSTEM AND METHOD FOR DETECTING MOVEMENT OF IMPACT AND/OR STRENGTH OF A SWING BASED ON ACCELEROMETER DATA

The adorable SYSTEMS AND METHODS FOR PROVIDING EDUCATIONAL GAMES FOR USE BY YOUNG CHILDREN, AND DIGITAL STORAGE MEDIUMS FOR STORING THE EDUCATIONAL GAMES THEREON

(That one has plenty of extra content, highly recommended you take a look)

And my favorite, the laziest of all, where some sap just printed out some Metroid Prime screenshots and the patent office ran Find Edges on them:

METHOD AND APPARATUS FOR USING A COMMON POINTING INPUT TO CONTROL 3D VIEWPOINT AND OBJECT TARGETING

If the images are too big, let me know! I also have a treasure trove of other Nintendo goodies, like this:

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
I guess it's sad that we'll never see Mario Tooth Brushing but why is this guy trying to kill trumpet-playing Reggie?

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Game Dad clearly doesn't know proper waggle etiquette.

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy
Game Dad looks quite a bit like Joel from The Last of Us. Geop's LPs are coming full circle now. :ohdear:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Nihilarian posted:

The lobster shirt rocks. Right, Aonuma?

I'm so glad this gif exists.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Geop is pretty good at playing the role of a bumbling child.

Helmet 10 Warehouse posted:

I made the necessary fanart.

The thread can now continue as normal.

:allears:

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Nintendo has the best patent art.

This would only be true in a world where Sony never patented the PS Move.

Or the ability to detect emotion.

(edited to add links)

Kloro fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 5, 2015

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Kloro posted:

This would only be true in a world where Sony never patented the PS Move.

Bahahahaha are you trying to tell me Sony has patents for PS Move controllers you strap to your feet?

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
is this the dumb video games patent thread?

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

ChaosArgate posted:

Bahahahaha are you trying to tell me Sony has patents for PS Move controllers you strap to your feet?

That patent is from 2012 - two years after Microsoft introduced the Kinect. Sony kind of went "all in" on the PS Move at the time, the same year they released the Harry Potter tie-in Wonderbook: Book Of Spells. (Which I'd love to see someone LP, though I'm not sure how they'd do it.)

Kloro fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 5, 2015

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I think this thread has found its true calling and I couldn't be happier

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Kuvo posted:

Jesus Christ this is a terrifying concept.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

ChaosArgate posted:

can't wait for them to add Move support to Bayonetta

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Jesus Christ this is a terrifying concept.

As I recall, at the time Sony claimed they were patenting it as an act of public charity to prevent anyone actually doing it.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
No ocean can compare to the baffling depths of corporate law.

cofaigh
Dec 30, 2006
Ha ha... dangly parts

Kuvo posted:

As soon as I saw people discussing videogame patents I knew this would appear (or fall on the sword™ and post it myself).

I grew up playing SNES Zelda games but, lacking an N64, backseat gamed with a friend of mine on OoT and MM. When the Gamecube rolled around, I knew I would lap up whatever Zelda-themed poo poo appeared on the console. Thankfully it was this, absolutely magic. Looking forward to more videos.

there's no real spoilers in this image but I thought I'd play it safe seeing as the character hasn't been introduced yet.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

ChaosArgate posted:

Someone must have seen Vicas' Mario 64 LP and thought "holy poo poo this is the future of gaming we have to patent this before anyone else does".

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

So tempted to buy a lobster shirt right now.

cofaigh posted:

there's no real spoilers in this image but I thought I'd play it safe seeing as the character hasn't been introduced yet.

Aaaaaaaaaahhh :allears:

This game hasn't even started and it has the best fanart.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

cofaigh posted:

SEASEEKER FRAMPT?! :h: And Smaw & Orwing!

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.

Geop posted:

SEASEEKER FRAMPT?! :h: And Smaw & Orwing!

:ssh: Look in the background some more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peach Style
Nov 10, 2003

I don't speak 'crazy head sucker' language.
I can never get ENOUGH of Wind Waker and seeing Wind Waker just makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

My husband works for a custom apparel company and I got him to make me a rash guard of such lobster shirt.

• Locked thread