Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tiggum posted:

In that case it worked out well for them because their competitors couldn't advertise either. In the toothpaste example only one company stopped advertising.

Ads work on everyone, but most people think they're the exception. Because ads don't work in a simple, straight-forward way it's hard to see how they're affecting you. You don't see a McDonald's ad and immediately go out and buy a burger, but the constant advertising makes sure that you know what McDonald's is, you know what they sell, you recognise them instantly when you see them, you know what to expect when you go there. When you're walking down the street and you see the golden arches you think "burgers", not "a big yellow M". When you're thinking "Where can I go for a quick meal?" one of the answers that instantly pops into your head is "McDonald's". And there are a lot of more subtle effects, like using particular words, colours, symbols, sounds, etc. to give certain impressions and fix certain associations in your mind. None of it translates directly from seeing the ad to buying the product, but in its totality it's hugely effective in making large numbers of people more likely to buy the product.

Well of course *I* am the exception :)

Commercials make sense in some regard. They legitimize a product or service. If they have enough money to show up on the TV then they MUST be worth while, right? I can see that psychology working.

The trouble I have is when they just throw something, ANYTHING, at you and it has either nothing to do with the product/service or is misleading.

I come back to facebook ads. "The top 20 things they DON'T WANT YOU TO KNOW"!

"Click here to save $402 a month on car insurance!!111"

"Catch the burglar and win a $100 Wal Mart gift card!"

I am just thinking to myself "really...this is such an obvious click bait"...then I see it actually WORKS. Maybe its like the freemium game thing where most people ignore them, but that small 5% of loyal people click and click and click and click and are the cash cow, so now the rest of us have to wade through bullshit because that 5% demographic makes them all their money.

Edit: Dumb moves for my company-I work for a ~premium~ insurance retailer and we actually advertise in areas we are either intentionally not competitive, or don't even write insurance for.

Jastiger has a new favorite as of 16:51 on Jan 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

It's also kind of a step up from what came before it, which was just a greasy paper bag.

They used to have Happy Meal boxes that were custom-printed for every change in toy campaign. If the toy was a Hot Wheels car the box would have all these little perforated segments to open up tunnels and flip out ramps and poo poo so the box was part of the toy set. Then they dumped that and went to the greasy paper bags in the name of savings. This box is just a return to the previous ones, but a lot shittier

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
What is really loving hilarious to me is how bad YouTube advertisements are, at least here in Finland. Even if you don't use adblock you can usually skip the ad after 5 seconds, which is what most people do. So, logically, you should try to ram the important bits (your product / company name at the very least) into those first five seconds, right? Nope! Everyone puts the weirdest poo poo that has nothing to do with the advertised thing at the start!

Seriously, at one point I considered doing a collage of the most goddamn funny "first 5 seconds of youtube commercials before you skip them". I think my favourite one was something like a clip of some random old people with a "Huyyyyrrgh?" sound effect. I still have no idea what that's supposed to sell.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Dropbear posted:

What is really loving hilarious to me is how bad YouTube advertisements are, at least here in Finland. Even if you don't use adblock you can usually skip the ad after 5 seconds, which is what most people do. So, logically, you should try to ram the important bits (your product / company name at the very least) into those first five seconds, right? Nope! Everyone puts the weirdest poo poo that has nothing to do with the advertised thing at the start!

Seriously, at one point I considered doing a collage of the most goddamn funny "first 5 seconds of youtube commercials before you skip them". I think my favourite one was something like a clip of some random old people with a "Huyyyyrrgh?" sound effect. I still have no idea what that's supposed to sell.

I quite like how this played with that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gMjJNGg9Z8

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Dropbear posted:

Now that I've finally caught up with the rest of the world and got a smartphone I sometimes watch youtube when in bed or on the toilet, and for the first time in forever I have ads I have to skip. There's a few I still don't know what they advertise not because the first 5 seconds are absurd or anything, but because they start with the standard PEGI rating. Always skipped before the actual ad started. I guess that's not really up to the advertisers, though, and probably a law they have to abide by. Still funny though.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

More fun with N-Gage! (this is probably the only time in history anyone has said that) I was just reading through the obsolete/failed technology thread and came across this tidbit:

Suspicious Dish posted:

So, according to some contacts formerly employed at Nokia, the N-Gage was pushed heavily onto a team that knew it was a terrible idea and sucked. Or at least too early for its time.

As a "gently caress you" from the team, it was designed to look like a goatse intentionally.

Now you know.

:ssh: it even has the ring
I also remember Nokia's marketing people going ":smug: Game Boy is for babbys, what kind of a loser manchild plays on a GBA in public? The N-Gage is designed for mature audiences" leading up to the N-Gage's release. I'm guessing these are the same people who came up with those brilliant ads.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Jastiger posted:

I am just thinking to myself "really...this is such an obvious click bait"...then I see it actually WORKS. Maybe its like the freemium game thing where most people ignore them, but that small 5% of loyal people click and click and click and click and are the cash cow, so now the rest of us have to wade through bullshit because that 5% demographic makes them all their money.

I have to believe/assume this is the case for all sorts of terrible pop up ads and bullshit email adverts. It costs next to nothing (compared to print ads) to run them and just hope for hits.

I think the Happy Meal Character is pretty weird, and slightly superfluous, but not exactly a bad idea. Happy Meals/The happy meal box are pretty iconic - I know as a kid my fast food place of choice was McD's - half because of the happy meal, half because they had better fries then anyone else. Burger King was just lame by comparison. I think they had something like a kids meal, but it sure as hell wasn't anywhere as memorable. Doesn't help I've never like their food either.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Dropbear posted:

There's actually a really good campaign going on down here at the moment for an insurance agency where the first five seconds are: "Hii'mheretotellyouaboutthisinsurancecompanywhereyoucansavexeverymonthonyourpremiumsaaaandskip"... If you don't skip the ad continues with the whole "Oh, you're still here? Well then..." pitch - but it's a clever way of using that microsecond (in advertising terms) to get the message across.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Oxyclean posted:

I have to believe/assume this is the case for all sorts of terrible pop up ads and bullshit email adverts. It costs next to nothing (compared to print ads) to run them and just hope for hits.

I think the Happy Meal Character is pretty weird, and slightly superfluous, but not exactly a bad idea. Happy Meals/The happy meal box are pretty iconic - I know as a kid my fast food place of choice was McD's - half because of the happy meal, half because they had better fries then anyone else. Burger King was just lame by comparison. I think they had something like a kids meal, but it sure as hell wasn't anywhere as memorable. Doesn't help I've never like their food either.

Uh buddy, McDonald's never had the BK Kids Club.

Calling the kid stuck in a wheelchair "Wheels" gets me every goddamn time.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

They must have retired the whole gang by the time I was born, because as a small kid I only remember Kid Vid, and my taped shows from the 90s back me up that I'm not just forgetting them. Looks like the same people behind Doozy Bots. There the disabled kid turned into a tank while everyone else got legs as a robot.

WickedHate has a new favorite as of 20:00 on Jan 5, 2015

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

WickedHate posted:

They must have retired the whole gang by the time I was born, because as a small kid I only remember Kid Vid, and my taped shows from the 90s back me up that I'm not just forgetting them. Looks like the same people behind Doozy Bots. There the disabled kid turned into a tank while everyone else got legs as a robot.

Kid Vid definitely became the main thrust of their advertising, because look at how loving 90's that dude is. I know they were still around, though. Hell, as late as 2000, they added an Asian girl who was in band named "Jazz".

Then they had these loving things for a year.

Eventually they joined some group of businesses that voluntarily changed their marketing to children to be less pandering and cartoony. I think it's more that they had no idea what they were doing and this seemed like a good out.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I like the trademark beside each and every name, like they were totally going to take off and be the next thing. Totally gives me ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL vibes.

Also they make me think of those Mr. Men characters.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Was Lingo's thing that he was really good at languages? Like he spoke a lot of different ones? Then what about Jaws? What was Jaws' thing? Did he just talk a lot, but only in English? Was he a street-wise, smart-mouthed teen with an attitude?

Why would any of these people make me want a cheeseburger?

EDIT: Jaws is the only one with visible lips. Boomer, Snaps, and Wheels have the exact same face.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
The Eeps etc. remind me of this lot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVuODEx2_9Y

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Vargo posted:

Was Lingo's thing that he was really good at languages? Like he spoke a lot of different ones? Then what about Jaws? What was Jaws' thing? Did he just talk a lot, but only in English? Was he a street-wise, smart-mouthed teen with an attitude?

Why would any of these people make me want a cheeseburger?

Lingo was a Hispanic kid who could also speak Spanish.

Jaws ate a lot.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

In a group meant to promote a fast food franchise, it's weird only one ate a lot. "He's the only one who can stomach our food!"

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

WickedHate posted:

In a group meant to promote a fast food franchise, it's weird only one ate a lot. "He's the only one who can stomach our food!"

Has any fast food place ever managed to license Jughead from Archie Comics?

My brain is telling me the Archie crew used to advertise A&W. Am I crazy?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Lingo was a Hispanic kid who could also speak Spanish.

Jaws ate a lot.

That's better than I thought; I was worried he was a second black character who always spoke in the dialect that white marketing executives think "urban" youth speak.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I was hoping Jaws had sharp metal teeth and hated James Bond.
He is taller than the other kids.

Sunshine Mix
Jun 11, 2009

Vargo posted:

Has any fast food place ever managed to license Jughead from Archie Comics?

My brain is telling me the Archie crew used to advertise A&W. Am I crazy?

They did, at least in Canada. Perhaps in the United States, though if so then before my time.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

I see Vince from Recess (x2), Pepper Ann and a bunch of other kids that look like rip-off "original characters".

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

canyoneer posted:

I was hoping Jaws had sharp metal teeth and hated James Bond.
He is taller than the other kids.

I just assumed he was the kid with braces.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Funny fact: Burger King also exists in Australia in under the name 'Hungry Jack's' (kind of. weird franchising things and lawsuits happened between 1997 and 2003 when both existed). Just like in the USA, Hungry Jack's had the Kid's Club.
Except Lingo, the Hispanic character, was nowhere to be found. This is the first time I've ever seen the character.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

bewilderment posted:

Funny fact: Burger King also exists in Australia in under the name 'Hungry Jack's' (kind of. weird franchising things and lawsuits happened between 1997 and 2003 when both existed). Just like in the USA, Hungry Jack's had the Kid's Club.
Except Lingo, the Hispanic character, was nowhere to be found. This is the first time I've ever seen the character.

Man, I'd like to see the minutes of that meeting.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
If Lingo's gimmick was that he spoke English and Spanish, it might kind of make sense, because I assume there isn't as many Hispanic kids for corporations to appeal to with multilingual stuff. It's still weird they felt it absolutely necessary to go through the trouble of taking him out, though.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Stottie Kyek posted:

I see Vince from Recess (x2), Pepper Ann and a bunch of other kids that look like rip-off "original characters".

Except the BK Kids Club was before Recess and Pepper Ann. They're still incredibly stupid and generic though.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Doc Morbid posted:

More fun with N-Gage! (this is probably the only time in history anyone has said that) I was just reading through the obsolete/failed technology thread and came across this tidbit:

I also remember Nokia's marketing people going ":smug: Game Boy is for babbys, what kind of a loser manchild plays on a GBA in public? The N-Gage is designed for mature audiences" leading up to the N-Gage's release. I'm guessing these are the same people who came up with those brilliant ads.
I really hope the Goatse story is real, but I'm gonna need a source on it because the internet has made me cynical of things that are too fantastic to be true. :smith:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Question Mark Mound posted:

I really hope the Goatse story is real, but I'm gonna need a source on it because the internet has made me cynical of things that are too fantastic to be true. :smith:
Unfortunately that one post is all that thread had on the subject. I really want it to be true as well, so I'll believe it until someone proves otherwise.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

WickedHate posted:

If Lingo's gimmick was that he spoke English and Spanish, it might kind of make sense, because I assume there isn't as many Hispanic kids for corporations to appeal to with multilingual stuff. It's still weird they felt it absolutely necessary to go through the trouble of taking him out, though.

He only looks vaguely Hispanic, you could probably just switch out his ethnicity with a more relevant one to Aussies and not turn too many heads.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
  • Kid Vid, a blond Caucasian male who loved video games and technology; he was the leader of the group.
  • Boomer, a sports loving Caucasian tomboy with red hair tied into a ponytail.
  • I.Q., a male Caucasian nerd with red hair and freckles who wore red glasses, a green lab coat, and a pocket protector.
  • Jaws, a tall African-American male with an insatiable appetite.
  • J.D., a dog and the group's mascot.
  • Lingo, a multi-lingual, Hispanic male who liked art and carried an easel.
  • Snaps, a blonde Caucasian female who always carried her camera.
  • Wheels, a Caucasian paraplegic male in a wheelchair.

In the early 2000s a new female character was added to the group:

• Jazz, an Asian girl who loved music and wore a beret.

From wikipedia.

Cage has a new favorite as of 00:44 on Jan 6, 2015

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That's weird that the white people all looked the same and only had a single characteristic that they made the entire focus of their personalities.

Fast food advertising isn't usually that honest.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

InediblePenguin posted:

They used to have Happy Meal boxes that were custom-printed for every change in toy campaign. If the toy was a Hot Wheels car the box would have all these little perforated segments to open up tunnels and flip out ramps and poo poo so the box was part of the toy set. Then they dumped that and went to the greasy paper bags in the name of savings. This box is just a return to the previous ones, but a lot shittier

poo poo, the boxes used to BE the toys:

I vaguely remember the boat, but not the other two. That UFO is :krad:

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
A Happy Meal General Lee? You can't be serious hahahaha

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Radio Paranoia posted:

There's actually a really good campaign going on down here at the moment for an insurance agency where the first five seconds are: "Hii'mheretotellyouaboutthisinsurancecompanywhereyoucansavexeverymonthonyourpremiumsaaaandskip"... If you don't skip the ad continues with the whole "Oh, you're still here? Well then..." pitch - but it's a clever way of using that microsecond (in advertising terms) to get the message across.

I remember seeing a YouTube ad for the movie The Is The End that basically started with Franco, Rogen and co sitting on a couch yelling "DON'T SKIP DON'T SKIP DON'T SKIP". I thought that was pretty amusing.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

THE OOZE BLASTIN' OOZINATOR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdAIt4MgnHc

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007

Cage posted:

In the early 2000s a new female character was added to the group:

[*]Jazz, an Asian girl who loved music and wore a beret.[/list]

From wikipedia.

They tried to drag that out into 2000? Wow Burger King.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Phalanx for SNES has probably been mentioned at some time. I wish I could find the commercial that ran on television for it, because it was even more out there than the box art. The ad ended with the banjo playing and I think it only had a couple of brief scenes showing that it was a space shooter.

It might not be a dumb move, though, because 15 years later I bought a copy of it used based solely on the memories of the ad campaign.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Dropbear posted:

I like to play a game of trying to work out what is being advertised within that five seconds. It's surprisingly hard. Most of them also seem to really fail at incentivising you to not skip. You've got to show something within those five seconds that tells me why I should listen to the rest of your ad, and most of them just don't. I don't get it.

mrkillboy posted:

I remember seeing a YouTube ad for the movie The Is The End that basically started with Franco, Rogen and co sitting on a couch yelling "DON'T SKIP DON'T SKIP DON'T SKIP". I thought that was pretty amusing.
I hated that ad so much, I made a special point of never letting it actually play.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tiggum posted:

I like to play a game of trying to work out what is being advertised within that five seconds. It's surprisingly hard. Most of them also seem to really fail at incentivising you to not skip. You've got to show something within those five seconds that tells me why I should listen to the rest of your ad, and most of them just don't. I don't get it.

So a lot of this ties back to companies getting too smart for their own good. When pre-roll videos started companies didn't think about the first five seconds so you'd get a weird ad that was just the first 5 seconds of a TV spot making it both annoying and usually not great branding. Well pretty soon they realized, hey, people are skipping these so all these impressions I'm paying for are hot garbage since nobody is finishing these ads. So for many companies they try to pay based on completed (usually at least 50% of ad watched) pre-roll rather than just raw total pre-roll. So this payment incentive means advertising agencies want to be intriguing to stall you to get to the cutoff point where they get paid rather than rush out to beat you clicking skip.

Of course a lot of that is moot as companies are now just paying for unskippable pre-roll and therefore know a) they aren't being bypassed and b) exactly where in the video you click close in disgust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

mrkillboy posted:

The remake of Evil Dead had a similar ad, actually:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak9nzwj2_RY