Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Thyrork posted:

I think thats the fairest thing i've seen written about Faulconer's work. Good, but used poorly.

I wonder whos to blame for that. :raise: No, really, does the artist get to decide how its used in the pacing? That's got to be someone elses job right?

I think usually it's up to the director? Composers won't often be given video to work with and be told, "here, do whatever", the director will say, "I want a cue here, and a cue here, and I want the mood to change here..."

So when Faulconer came in to make music for an episode the director probably just told him "I need there to be background music ALL THE TIME!" and Faulconer was like "Okay" because that's his job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Double Post.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 5, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Esroc posted:

His nuking of the stadium is meaningless since every main character knows death has no real consequence in their Universe. At best you wish them back, and at worst they end up in a baller Otherworld chillin' with Gods and heroes of yesteryear while waiting for their loved ones to kick it and come join the party.

I love how the main characters never stop to ponder the fact that they're literally playing God with people's lives, especially when Piccolo tells Super Buu to kill humans to buy time for Gotenks.

Then again, Piccolo was fused with God, so what do I know? :v:

Blockhouse posted:

The problem - and it's not his fault - was that they were played constantly. There was never a silent moment in the old Funimation dub.

That reminds me of the episode where Krillin got stabbed through the chest by Frieza's horn and the tense music was playing.

Then Gohan tries to rush Frieza and the heroic tune kicks in, only for him to get bitchslapped away and the tense music plays again.

It sounds as awkward as you might think.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

The problem - and it's not his fault - was that they were played constantly. There was never a silent moment in the old Funimation dub.

This is why I find any clip that uses the Japanese soundtrack, dubbed or otherwise, incredibly strange. I don't associate DBZ with silence.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Well as DBZA just showed, if you remove the dramatic fight music, you just have two guys screaming at each other and it is hilarious.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crosspeice posted:

Well as DBZA just showed, if you remove the dramatic fight music, you just have two guys screaming at each other and it is hilarious.

The Piccolo vs 17 fight may be the funniest fight in the series. It's kind of amazing how ridiculous it is even on its own.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
No wonder why Mr. Satan thought it was all a trick. poo poo anyone would be if all they heard was screaming. :v:

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

ImpAtom posted:

The Piccolo vs 17 fight may be the funniest fight in the series. It's kind of amazing how ridiculous it is even on its own.

This is one of my favorite fights in Z, just because there is very little ki blasts flying all over, and more of the whacky martial arts. Plus, get to see Piccolo being relevant.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Mordaedil posted:

The singing about parfait and refusing to share got me good.

The lyrics are completely over the top in exactly the way you'd expect them to be in a song about the Ginyu Force.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
It's also one of the last examples in the series of a fight where both people are on equal footing more or less. The only ones afterward that come to mind are Goku vs Cell, Gohan vs Dabura, and Goku vs Majin Vegeta. Definitely the last instance of a non-saiyan being relevant in a fight, anyway.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wasn't Falconer's cell theme used as a backing track for a rap song?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Gohan vs Dabura was only even because Gohan was goofing around a ton, right?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

TriffTshngo posted:

It's also one of the last examples in the series of a fight where both people are on equal footing more or less. The only ones afterward that come to mind are Goku vs Cell, Gohan vs Dabura, and Goku vs Majin Vegeta. Definitely the last instance of a non-saiyan being relevant in a fight, anyway.

I hate that, too. As much as I enjoy the show, I loved Krillin and Piccolo fighting Nappa. They got to show a lot of range, and even though they got stomped, they did well. DBZA shits all over Krillin, and I get it, but he's still one of my favorite characters. He shows up to every fight, and dammit, he tries. That's more than some people do (*cough*Yamcha*cough*).

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Endorph posted:

Wasn't Falconer's cell theme used as a backing track for a rap song?

Wouldn't surprise me, DBZ is huge in the hip hop community

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

IIRC it was because Gohan as a lot weaker since he hadn't trained at all since the fight with Cell.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

New Leaf posted:

That's more than some people do (*cough*Yamcha*cough*).

Yamcha tries and they both equally give up during the Buu saga.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tien going 'Yeah, I might suck, but gently caress you' to Cell is one of my favorite moments in the series. Shame it accomplished jack poo poo.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Endorph posted:

Tien going 'Yeah, I might suck, but gently caress you' to Cell is one of my favorite moments in the series. Shame it accomplished jack poo poo.

Tien is the best because he never gave up. He knows he's not going to be able to save the day, but even when Buu and Gohan are fighting, he shows up to see if he can do something.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Endorph posted:

It had a real chance to accomplish a number of things, had Krillin and/or Vegeta not been complete morons.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Tien is the best because he never gave up. He knows he's not going to be able to save the day, but even when Buu and Gohan are fighting, he shows up to see if he can do something.
Didn't he save Hercule when he did that? When meant Hercule could convince people to give their energy, since he was with Goku and Vegeta instead of on Earth with everyone else who got revived.

Tien: Hero of Earth.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

The way Vegeta and Gohan talk about it makes it seem like Gohan probably would've won had Dabura not ducked out, but Gohan wasn't quite putting 100% into it so it wound up going on for awhile. That plus the aforementioned drop in power and a dulled battle instinct due to lack of training for 7 years.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
the faulconeer music is amazing

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

If you look at the fight, Gohan was clowning him and trying to enjoy himself (hell, he was only in normal Super Saiyan gotten). Vegeta only bitched him out so he can get Majin'd.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Esroc posted:

His nuking of the stadium is meaningless since every main character knows death has no real consequence in their Universe. At best you wish them back, and at worst they end up in a baller Otherworld chillin' with Gods and heroes of yesteryear while waiting for their loved ones to kick it and come join the party.

Actually most people end up as puffy white clouds who wait in lines for eternity until they get reincarnated you have to be a hero and poo poo to keep your body.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

ImpAtom posted:

why did they explode

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

BlitzBlast posted:

why did they explode

Explosions are contagious.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

Elfgames posted:

Actually most people end up as puffy white clouds who wait in lines for eternity until they get reincarnated you have to be a hero and poo poo to keep your body.

I thought they got to enjoy themselves as clouds, go on little afterlife vacations and poo poo

I can't remember if that was only anime filler or in the manga, though. All the same, it's not like they have legs to get tired while they wait in line.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

New Leaf posted:

That's more than some people do (*cough*Yamcha*cough*).

No matter how much Krillin gets beaten up, at least he doesn't have a meme about being dead like Yamcha. :v:

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

TriffTshngo posted:

Fat Buu and SSJ3 Goku (wasn't really a "fight" since Buu just let Goku hit him and then copied a kamehameha)
Super Buu and Gotenks, twice
Goku and Kid Buu

Buu wasn't a huge jump over Cell in default power, and most of the fights in that saga were near close or seemingly winnable, even when there was an underdog (Vegita's explosion not working because of the regen, for instance). That saga was more about people cheating, being silly, or out strategized than pure power.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I really liked Yamcha as a kid. He had cool scars, got the wear the same orange pajamas as Goku and knew the Kamehameha, but he also got to do that cool Spirit Ball technique and control it with his fingers. Plus the Wolf Fang Fist sounded so cool, and you heard a wolf howl when he did it.

Granted, my like of characters had nothing to do with how strong/cool they were, because I was also a fan of Trunks. Trunks pretty much does absolutely nothing in the series. Killing Freeza was awesome, and then he proceeds to pretty much job in every fight from then on.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Firstborn posted:

Granted, my like of characters had nothing to do with how strong/cool they were, because I was also a fan of Trunks. Trunks pretty much does absolutely nothing in the series. Killing Freeza was awesome, and then he proceeds to pretty much job in every fight from then on.

I feel like that was kind of the point of Trunks. He shows up, completely outclasses Freeza and then tells the crew that he's fought these things even stronger than Freeza.

So, clearly he's weaker than 17 and 18, because he couldn't beat them in the future and Perfect Cell is orders of magnitude stronger.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Darko posted:

Fat Buu and SSJ3 Goku (wasn't really a "fight" since Buu just let Goku hit him and then copied a kamehameha)
Super Buu and Gotenks, twice
Goku and Kid Buu

Buu wasn't a huge jump over Cell in default power, and most of the fights in that saga were near close or seemingly winnable, even when there was an underdog (Vegita's explosion not working because of the regen, for instance). That saga was more about people cheating, being silly, or out strategized than pure power.

I really don't count Buu vs SSJ3 Goku a real fight. They were just messing around and Goku never intended it to be anything more than a stalling tactic.
Kid Buu was stronger than both of them but was having fun fighting so he didn't go for the kill on Goku. He and Vegeta were basically tagging in and out trying to bash their heads against a problem they couldn't solve on their own, it really wasn't that even.
Super Buu claimed he was holding back against Gotenks because he could feel Gohan's power from Earth, though he could've been bluffing. If they were truly even though, Gotenks was at a severe disadvantage because of how you have to beat Buu; you either gotta quickly overpower and destroy him or outpace and wear him down over the course of a long fight, neither of which Gotenks were capable of. Buu was never really in danger of losing that fight.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Regardless of how strong Buu is, I really hope it doesn't turn out that he really is controlling the whole DBM tournament. I desperately want that to be a red herring. I'm fine with him not really being in the ball, but surely that many insanely strong powers would mop the floor with him.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

TriffTshngo posted:

Gotenks was at a severe disadvantage because of how you have to beat Buu; you either gotta quickly overpower and destroy him or outpace and wear him down over the course of a long fight, neither of which Gotenks were capable of. Buu was never really in danger of losing that fight.

Yeah, but not because he was just more powerful then Gotenks the way it was with like, Nappa vs the Z Fighters.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Trunks is the only Saiyan without black hair, so that automatically makes him badass. :colbert:

I am curious how his Super Saiyan hair works, though.

Also, I have to admit that I do have a guilty pleasure of using Yamcha in video games because Wolf Fang Fist is pretty fantastic. Especially in the Budokai games.

Makes me wish that Tien and Yamcha had fused together during the Buu Arc.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

New Leaf posted:

Regardless of how strong Buu is, I really hope it doesn't turn out that he really is controlling the whole DBM tournament. I desperately want that to be a red herring. I'm fine with him not really being in the ball, but surely that many insanely strong powers would mop the floor with him.

I don't know that there's actually that many characters capable of stopping Buu, though. Vegeto, sure. Gogeta, if/when he shows up. Beyond them, maybe Gast and Bra, but Gast's sealing thing seemed like it had more to do with Magic than brute strength and Bra can't control herself.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I wish Gogeta was canon. He was so much cooler than Vegito.

Come to think of it, he was the only Saiyan fusion that wasn't a cocky dick. Until GT happened anyway.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I wish Gogeta was canon. He was so much cooler than Vegito.

Come to think of it, he was the only Saiyan fusion that wasn't a cocky dick. Until GT happened anyway.

You mean all 1 times he showed up? I really didn't like movie 13, even moreso than Brolly 2.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Hey, that one appearance was pretty cool. Besides, Vegito only shows up once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

AlternateNu posted:

You mean all 1 times he showed up? I really didn't like movie 13, even moreso than Brolly 2.

Movie 13 has Gotenks fighting Hitler what's not to like?

• Locked thread