Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

prefect posted:

what are "parking lights"?

bullshit nobody uses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

prefect posted:

what are "parking lights"?

halfway between off and on

it's the white reversing lights only

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sagebrush posted:

i mean hey i'm not suggesting we revoke the licenses for anyone but those people who can't pass the test they already passed once. what's so bad about that? why are you scared? what are you worried about??

most people don't have two hours to take a driving test

especially when the dmv is open from 9-4 m-f

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

keyboard vomit posted:

halfway between off and on

it's the white reversing lights only

no, she literally pointed at the parking brake when i was all "parking... lights? what?"

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

duTrieux. posted:

no, she literally pointed at the parking brake when i was all "parking... lights? what?"

then your driving test person was dumb and shouldnt be driving a car at all

considering that i had to put my car in a ditch this morning because no one can drive i'm fine with less people being allowed to drive

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

what this country needs is a good milquetoast fascist dictator

you're welcome to come back to canada at any time

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shaggar posted:

yeah most of the time the real problem is in the modeling of the intersection. either its out of date or someone hosed with it. you can tell when stuff is setup properly cause you don't wait long.

if you think that you've been waiting at an intersection "forever" that's your driverbrain telling you that you've just exceeded 80 seconds or so stopped at a red

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

if you think that you've been waiting at an intersection "forever" that's your driverbrain telling you that you've just exceeded 80 seconds or so stopped at a red

traffic lights should only stay green long enough to let one car through at a time, with sensors to skip a road if there are no cars there

i like this idea, and want to figure out how things behave when there are no cars coming/waiting

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Gum posted:

people get failed on driving tests for bullshit reasons all the time. its bad enough when it just means having to retake the test, it could be devastating if your lifestyle depends on your ability to drive

Sounds like you hosed up in choosing your lifestyle, why should I possibly pay with my life because you made poor decisions?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

someone should at least figure out how to make a stoplight that stays red all ways when an intersection is gridlocked

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
automated bollards should piston outta the ground within the stop bar of each intersection that has a pedestrian crossing whenever that approach has a red

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

qirex posted:

someone should at least figure out how to make a stoplight that stays red all ways when an intersection is gridlocked

traffic lights should also have retractable mechanical arms with hammers that they can use on cars that clog up intersections

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Sagebrush posted:

amazing to think that we live in a country where the president would be more likely to be impeached for making everyone in the country take a driving test than for spying on them, holding them without trial, promoting unbelievable wealth disparity, etc

well yeah, licensing drivers is clearly a power left to the states (read your Constitution) so the president doing anything about them is a Constitutional violation

god bless the Founders

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i passed my first drivers test but like... i was driving my gfs 20+ year old busted up 3 series bmw for it and the driving instructor was like 'ooooooh this is a faaaaaaaaancy car, i can't believe i finally get to ride in one of these!" and she gets in and she's an apprentice instructor and like the teacher person gets in the back taking notes. the apprentice starts like taking pictures of the inside and calls her mom to tell her she's in a BMW and you would NOT believe how nice it is but like, the seats are all ripped up and the car is basically a pos and none of the ac/heat work and the parking brake lever moves but doesn't actually engage anything. but no matter, she's freaking out and mashing all the ac buttons and non-functional heat-warmer buttons (in july, in dallas). she's all 'all right let's roll' and the teacher in the back clears her throat and the apprentice jumps out and is like 'oh right, we gotta check the signals' which i do and she's all "wow that's so fancy the way the blink" i'm totally dumbfounded and a little nervous, but the driving test goes fine up until the very end when I come to a T intersection with a red light. the light is red on approach so I come to a complete stop. a cyclist goes by in front of me I then turn right as per her instructions safely, and get back to the dmv and she gives me the little form and she's like 'you did great except you don't need to stop at a red light at a T intersection if you're turning right." the instructor lady nods in agreement. i take my 90/100 and drive off forever, still making stops at red lights at t-intersections.

that's my driving test story, i hope that helps

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Gum posted:

people get failed on driving tests for bullshit reasons all the time. its bad enough when it just means having to retake the test, it could be devastating if your lifestyle depends on your ability to drive

if you don't understand the rules of the road well enough to follow them to the letter once every decade or so, why should you be allowed to keep driving? you're a hazard. your desire to get to work in your own personal suburban assault vehicle doesn't supercede other drivers' human right to safety of person

computer parts posted:

most people don't have two hours to take a driving test

especially when the dmv is open from 9-4 m-f

guess what, people find the time to do things they don't really want to do when there's enough of a reason to do it

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

lol if you had to take a driving test. poor not being able to take driver's ed.

texas now allows (or maybe it was always this way) parent-taught driver's ed. blind leading the blind

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sagebrush posted:

guess what, people find the time to do things they don't really want to do when there's enough of a reason to do it

that's why we have 100% voting turnout

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

People working lovely wage slave jobs don't always have the option of taking time off

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
"either get fired for taking time off to take a dumb test or get fired for not being able to drive to work anymore, what a choice!"

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sagebrush posted:

if you don't understand the rules of the road well enough to follow them to the letter once every decade or so, why should you be allowed to keep driving? you're a hazard. your desire to get to work in your own personal suburban assault vehicle doesn't supercede other drivers' human right to safety of person

actually no, many of the tested rules are useless, and many of the untested stuff is necessary to be a good driver

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

itt people seriously argue that it's better to allow people who are totally incapable of operating a motor vehicle safely to continue driving because they might find it inconvenient to sit in an office for a couple of hours one day in ten years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqP3Bk_cX-4

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Beast of Bourbon posted:

i passed my first drivers test but like... i was driving my gfs 20+ year old busted up 3 series bmw for it and the driving instructor was like 'ooooooh this is a faaaaaaaaancy car, i can't believe i finally get to ride in one of these!" and she gets in and she's an apprentice instructor and like the teacher person gets in the back taking notes. the apprentice starts like taking pictures of the inside and calls her mom to tell her she's in a BMW and you would NOT believe how nice it is but like, the seats are all ripped up and the car is basically a pos and none of the ac/heat work and the parking brake lever moves but doesn't actually engage anything. but no matter, she's freaking out and mashing all the ac buttons and non-functional heat-warmer buttons (in july, in dallas). she's all 'all right let's roll' and the teacher in the back clears her throat and the apprentice jumps out and is like 'oh right, we gotta check the signals' which i do and she's all "wow that's so fancy the way the blink" i'm totally dumbfounded and a little nervous, but the driving test goes fine up until the very end when I come to a T intersection with a red light. the light is red on approach so I come to a complete stop. a cyclist goes by in front of me I then turn right as per her instructions safely, and get back to the dmv and she gives me the little form and she's like 'you did great except you don't need to stop at a red light at a T intersection if you're turning right." the instructor lady nods in agreement. i take my 90/100 and drive off forever, still making stops at red lights at t-intersections.

that's my driving test story, i hope that helps

when I passed my drivers test I was in my parents suburban. there was an electronic yahtzee on the passenger side dash or something and the instructor played it the entire time, only looking up now and then to point at where to turn.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

duTrieux. posted:

also the first time i took the driving test the examiner failed me for two things: not being able to identify/turn on the "parking lights" and for pulling over into a spot she told me to pull over into. (the rules specifically said you wouldn't be dinged for following the instructions of the instructor, but the rules were a lie!)

i failed the written test the first time i took it. the question that got me was: when are you allowed to make a left turn on red?

a ) bullshit
b ) bullshit
c ) when you're going from a one way road and to a one way road
d ) when there is a sign permitting you to do so

d was the wrong answer :mad:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

automated bollards should piston outta the ground within the stop bar of each intersection that has a pedestrian crossing whenever that approach has a red
same but these things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQDy-5IQvuU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Necc0 posted:

i failed the written test the first time i took it. the question that got me was: when are you allowed to make a left turn on red?

a ) bullshit
b ) bullshit
c ) when you're going from a one way road and to a one way road
d ) when there is a sign permitting you to do so

d was the wrong answer :mad:

what state was that? i've seen at least one "left turn on red okay, just wait a second" sign in massachusetts

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sagebrush posted:

itt people seriously argue that it's better to allow people who are totally incapable of operating a motor vehicle safely to continue driving

driver's tests don't test for that, child

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

when i did my driver's test i came within one error of failing because i didn't check my right-side blind spot while turning right from the right lane. i had noted that there were no pedestrians in the area as we drove up to the corner, so when i turned i was pretty sure that no pedestrians had materialized there in the two seconds i looked away, but because i didn't actively check i got a MAJOR ERROR because YOU COULD HAVE KILLED SOMEONE and you only get one of those.

i am okay with this because it would in fact have been safer if i had looked in the blind spot.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

prefect posted:

what state was that? i've seen at least one "left turn on red okay, just wait a second" sign in massachusetts

PA

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

prefect posted:

massachusetts drivers don't know how to drive

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
my friend failed his driving test three times for speeding. when we'd yell at him to watch his speedometer he'd get mad and say 'I KNOW HOW FAST I'M GOING DAMNIT'

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

driver's tests don't test for that, child

"criminals will get guns whether we like it or not, so why try and regulate them at all"

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

prefect posted:

im trying to think where that sign would make sense that wouldnt be better served with a stop sign

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
blinking red for a left turn is the best

why arent there more of these

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sniep posted:

blinking red for a left turn is the best

why arent there more of these

because its the same thing as a stop sign

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

ayn rand hand job posted:

because its the same thing as a stop sign

no

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

i took my driver's test right before christmas and my driving instructor looked just like santa claus and even said "Ho Ho Ho!" when I passed well that's my driving test story hope you enjoyed it

he also remarked it would have been easier to take the test in an automatic rather than the manual i had but i'm a boss shifter so it was all good

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sagebrush posted:

"criminals will get guns whether we like it or not, so why try and regulate them at all"

you're basically saying we should force people who don't have time to take a test that we know doesn't work because it makes you feel better.

it's you, you're the uber ceo

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Nintendo Kid posted:

you're basically saying we should force people who don't have time to take a test that we know doesn't work because it makes you feel better.

it's you, you're the uber ceo

don't be harsh

he could be rick scott

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

IPvSH6T posted:

im trying to think where that sign would make sense that wouldnt be better served with a stop sign

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Bill...tts&deg=90&z=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost