Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

krushgroove posted:

Bitzbox.co.uk just started selling 3rd party canopies for the various flyers...not sure which one you need but if you can't find a real GW one these look alright: http://www.bitzbox.co.uk/index.php/3rd-party-products-canopies-c-438_506

Thanks! Just ordered my "Space Raven" canopies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I'm interested in playing this again, how has CSM held up from 6th? I've got around 3 tac squads, some obliterators, bikers, a Heldrake, and various other dudes.

I've also got an Imperial Knight that is half painted, but I don't think they can ally.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

krushgroove posted:

Bitzbox.co.uk just started selling 3rd party canopies for the various flyers...not sure which one you need but if you can't find a real GW one these look alright: http://www.bitzbox.co.uk/index.php/3rd-party-products-canopies-c-438_506

Even 3rd parties can't keep Eldar canopies in stock

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Drythe posted:

I'm interested in playing this again, how has CSM held up from 6th? I've got around 3 tac squads, some obliterators, bikers, a Heldrake, and various other dudes.

I've also got an Imperial Knight that is half painted, but I don't think they can ally.

CSM are fairly 'low-tier' if you follow/care about that sort of thing; when it comes to marks, Nurgle still is your best bet overall, so if you are a plague-loving kinda guy you could just run the tac squads as Plague Marines. Bikes and Oblits are still solid choices, and the Heldrake is okay but not quite the murder machine it once was (it no longer has a 360-degree fire arc). You can make it work, especially if you ally in daemons, and the IA13 book is all about giving Chaos some love.

Technically you can ally in a Knight now, it will just be a Come the Apocalypse situation--which is to say, keep it 12" away from the rest of your army.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Alright that sounds neat, I'll have to take a look at the IA13 book.

Man 30k sounds sweet though. But I don't think anyone here plays it and it seems from you guys 30k vs 40k ends poorly?

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Drythe posted:

Alright that sounds neat, I'll have to take a look at the IA13 book.

The IA book is solid gold for CSM armies.

quote:

Man 30k sounds sweet though. But I don't think anyone here plays it and it seems from you guys 30k vs 40k ends poorly?

It's not that it ends poorly, but 30k has access to a lot more options, especially in the AP2/AP3 weapon ranges. In very general, very broad terms they're great for armies intent on tabling your opponent or sitting on a gunline and blasting away anything in range. However they're not quite the highly mobile, objective scoring armies that the current 40k meta favors.

The discussion in the last page or two about mechanicus is in reference to one specific 30k army that's sort of the 40k Eldar analogue. They've got those one or two unique units that are arguably on the bullshit line, but the rest of the army is pretty fairly represented. Against 40k though, the amount of AP3/AP2 they can wield is scary.

I'm trying to be careful about calling them imbalanced or overpowered. They're not necessarily that, but you have to treat them differently to win against them and it's not something you'd be used to playing against if you were a regular 40k player.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Been a surprisingly productive week for me all of a sudden as I managed to finish another one of my models in my backlog.

Mostly glad to get this one finished because I hate the Cadian Greatcoat figure for reasons I've mentioned before so finally getting it painted is a huge relief.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Slimnoid posted:

CSM are fairly 'low-tier' if you follow/care about that sort of thing; when it comes to marks, Nurgle still is your best bet overall, so if you are a plague-loving kinda guy you could just run the tac squads as Plague Marines. Bikes and Oblits are still solid choices, and the Heldrake is okay but not quite the murder machine it once was (it no longer has a 360-degree fire arc). You can make it work, especially if you ally in daemons, and the IA13 book is all about giving Chaos some love.

Technically you can ally in a Knight now, it will just be a Come the Apocalypse situation--which is to say, keep it 12" away from the rest of your army.

If you have access to Imperial Armour 13: War Machines of The Lost and The Damned and your group isn't opposed to playing with Forge World models and Rules - CSM is now more mid tier. Also you have a lot more options...

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I would love to get Curze and use him since he's one of my favorite Primarchs, and Night Lords are cool by themselves. Such a huge investment though.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Cooked Auto posted:

Been a surprisingly productive week for me all of a sudden as I managed to finish another one of my models in my backlog.

Mostly glad to get this one finished because I hate the Cadian Greatcoat figure for reasons I've mentioned before so finally getting it painted is a huge relief.

Your paint seems a little bit thick, but the brushwork on the face is excellent. You've captured a lot of personality, and made an eyeball that doesn't look super mongoloid. This is a herculean task.

Have you considered a light wash on the coat to bring out the folds a little bit more?

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
So what makes for good helmets for the legion praetors, I'm looking to pick some up to start my Iron Warriors, but I despise the idea of dudes wearing giant suits of armor, charging through sheets of incoming fire, and having a big "shoot me" sign in the shape of a bare face.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 5, 2015

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

TheChirurgeon posted:

2 CSM squads (1 w/Mark of Khorne and CC Weapons), 1 Helbrute, 1 Forgefiend, a Chaos Lord, a Terminator champion/lord, and Abaddon, who is too big to be included in games with this army. As I don't play with unpainted units, I need to figure out where to go next to add stuff in, so I figured I'd open it up to suggestions.

Here's what I've got available to paint next:
- Havocs (1 squad, lots of extra autocannon/lascannon bits lying around though)
- Raptors (the old metal ones, 10)
- Berserkers
- Terminators (19 unpainted)
- Sorcerer
- Chaos Space Marines squad (another one)
- Cultists

You've got a decent mix of shooty and stabby, so I'd definitely go for the sorcerer. He's my choice for Black Legion HQ, shy of Abbaddon as well. I keep hearing good things about Havocs, but I've never really used them either. After that, cultists for a cheap objective grabber or maybe ablative wounds for an IC are what I'd go for.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Ghost Hand posted:

If you have access to Imperial Armour 13: War Machines of The Lost and The Damned and your group isn't opposed to playing with Forge World models and Rules - CSM is now more mid tier. Also you have a lot more options...

I'm trying to hold off on buying this book because I'm about to have a baby but this is making it really tempting.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
newborns don't need juice anyway

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Ignite Memories posted:

Your paint seems a little bit thick, but the brushwork on the face is excellent. You've captured a lot of personality, and made an eyeball that doesn't look super mongoloid. This is a herculean task.

Have you considered a light wash on the coat to bring out the folds a little bit more?

Yeah I think I got a bit sloppy with the Russ Grey on the coat on this case. I realized that as well after a while but didn't really want to start over with it.
That was also further exaspterated by the fact paint kept getting rubbed off at the edges which I had to keep painting over to fix.

I just gonna say I got lucky with the eye dot in this case as I lost all sight of where I should be painting the eye itself once I had tossed on the flesh tone for it.
I was following a WD guide for flesh and was going to do Cadian Fleshtone and Kislev on top of the Bugmans glow until I realized that face barely has any features to it anyway and the thing would've just come off as a pale mess.

Could probably do a wash on the coat yeah. I'll probably just go with Agarax Earthshade unless something else works a lot better with that blue.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

newborns don't need juice anyway

Unironically this, breastfeed only

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
Just got my order from Puppetswar in, man these are really nice figures, the detail is better than the pics on the site. I am pretty jazzed about my choas project now, thousand sons here I come. Couple of tiny air bubbles on close inspection, but only 3 I found on 5 figs + extra heads and shouldpads, all of a size of a pinhead at best, easily fixed/covered.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Mange Mite posted:

Unironically this, breastfeed only

Weird thread for parenting advice, but yeah. Health aside, the insane savings from not buying formula will save you enough to buy two or three full armies.

Or, ya know, childrens clothing and furniture.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Armies. Always.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Drythe posted:

Armies. Always.

One weird trick to clothe your babies in green-stuff! Mothers hate it!

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
They say it costs over 100 Warhammer armies to raise a child to adulthood.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Drythe posted:

It typically does, but usually for the 30K army. 30K struggles with a lot of important facets of the game- it's designed to have big hordes of infantry shooting and assaulting each other with some tanks and other units in the background. Consequently, a lot of the stuff that normally makes SM armies shine (ATSKNF, Drop Pods, Combat Squads, embedded special weapons, MSU units, high mobility via bikes/transports, etc) is just completely absent. All of these things leave the army vastly less flexible and efficient than a typical 40K army is, and even with the addition of various kooky special abilities and options it really doesn't make up the difference. A good 40K army will typically shred a 30K army into a fine red mist in relatively short order because the 30K army just lacks the right kinds of answers to a lot of stuff- it might have great guns or powerful units, but there are simply too many gaps in what it can do.

Feel free to take all of that as a challenge to win with them, though; they're certainly not unbearably bad, just noticeably below the mark compared to where a lot of the 5E/6E armies are sitting. Comparing them to the 7E books is less clear-cut, but I think it still might not go well.

Mr.Booger posted:

Just got my order from Puppetswar in, man these are really nice figures, the detail is better than the pics on the site. I am pretty jazzed about my choas project now, thousand sons here I come. Couple of tiny air bubbles on close inspection, but only 3 I found on 5 figs + extra heads and shouldpads, all of a size of a pinhead at best, easily fixed/covered.

I've had pretty consistently good experiences with Puppetswar myself. Their quality of casts is quite high, with very little cleaning required, and they're pretty intelligent about the way they put a lot of their kits together. While the aesthetic is sometimes not entirely in line with what 40K does, I think that's fine- I mean, it's what you get when you have sculptors with a different design philosophy and anyone who's looking into 3rd-party stuff is obviously searching for a different look for their models.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Cooked Auto posted:

Yeah I think I got a bit sloppy with the Russ Grey on the coat on this case. I realized that as well after a while but didn't really want to start over with it.
That was also further exaspterated by the fact paint kept getting rubbed off at the edges which I had to keep painting over to fix.

I just gonna say I got lucky with the eye dot in this case as I lost all sight of where I should be painting the eye itself once I had tossed on the flesh tone for it.
I was following a WD guide for flesh and was going to do Cadian Fleshtone and Kislev on top of the Bugmans glow until I realized that face barely has any features to it anyway and the thing would've just come off as a pale mess.

Could probably do a wash on the coat yeah. I'll probably just go with Agarax Earthshade unless something else works a lot better with that blue.

Maybe Nuln Oil would work better, because then you're not mixing warm and cool colors. I haven't used it myself, my orks want to have that brownish grimy look usually.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

AbusePuppy posted:

It typically does, but usually for the 30K army. 30K struggles with a lot of important facets of the game- it's designed to have big hordes of infantry shooting and assaulting each other with some tanks and other units in the background. Consequently, a lot of the stuff that normally makes SM armies shine (ATSKNF, Drop Pods, Combat Squads, embedded special weapons, MSU units, high mobility via bikes/transports, etc) is just completely absent. All of these things leave the army vastly less flexible and efficient than a typical 40K army is, and even with the addition of various kooky special abilities and options it really doesn't make up the difference. A good 40K army will typically shred a 30K army into a fine red mist in relatively short order because the 30K army just lacks the right kinds of answers to a lot of stuff- it might have great guns or powerful units, but there are simply too many gaps in what it can do.

Feel free to take all of that as a challenge to win with them, though; they're certainly not unbearably bad, just noticeably below the mark compared to where a lot of the 5E/6E armies are sitting. Comparing them to the 7E books is less clear-cut, but I think it still might not go well.

God that just makes me want to 30k more as that's what I enjoy with this game.

e: Oh man Mechanicus models look awesome.

Drythe fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 5, 2015

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Drythe posted:

God that just makes me want to 30k more as that's what I enjoy with this game.

e: Oh man Mechanicus models look awesome.

For another perspective, I really enjoy 30k in 40k. Its the only thing I play anymore. I have a lot of fun because the army is really thematic and it's the army I've always wanted to play. It's not any different from flagship 40k books, except that the internal balance is a bit better and fewer people know your rules. So, unless your group is entirely alpha level warhams who know every codex, its about the same as starting an army your group doesn't normally play. You should absolutely proxy some models and give it a shot, but make sure to tell everyone what everything does. My group is pretty cool and our meta competitive, but only enough to keep things fun. I got grief when I loving up my rules a few times and there was definitely a learning curve for my friends (which unit does what, how do you beat it etc), but I think everybody in my group is totally fine with it. Most of them post here, so I'll let them talk about their experiences if they want.

That said, I tend to bring TAC lists. There's a crazy amount of options in the book so you can absolutely make stupid bullshit deathstars or 'just for fun' loose all the time lists.

AbusePuppy posted:

I don't mean to be a dick, but two pages ago you were saying 30k is mostly overpowered bullshit. Now you're saying its going to get shredded and has tons of gaps. Do you play these armies and make lists for them? It's fine if you don't, but my experience is apparently very different from yours.

Hencoe posted:

So what makes for good helmets for the legion praetors, I'm looking to pick some up to start my Iron Warriors, but I despise the idea of dudes wearing giant suits of armor, charging through sheets of incoming fire, and having a big "shoot me" sign in the shape of a bare face.

If you can wait, FW will definitely release a kit for our Iron Bros sometime... soon? Another good place to look is the GW Iron Warrior upgrayedd pack. You can buy bits from it on ebay every now and then.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

BULBASAUR posted:

If you can wait, FW will definitely release a kit for our Iron Bros sometime... soon? Another good place to look is the GW Iron Warrior upgrayedd pack. You can buy bits from it on ebay every now and then.

I meant specifically for the praetors caraphractii and artificer armors since they have the "collar" I want to do all my regular marines in MKII with pads, and will certainly get more when those kits come out since I'm starting small. I'm just at a loss over their helmets.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I like what the FW guy did. Its a sons of horus command sprue head. You just need to chop off a few bits:

Or, what I might do, is to take an Iron Gorgon head from the iron hands and slap it in there:

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Only thing to be aware of with 30k Mechanicus is that they have a lot of rules. Like rules within rules.
If you're not good at memorizing what every unit does/how it does it/what bullshit it can ignore or shrug off (which ends up being anywhere from a long list to a loving LONG LIST), then you probably don't want to bring them to a game.

e.: SoH sea-green is the loving best. So hard to do though.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Looks like the DiceBucket.com website domain is up for sale. May want to update the OP.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Master Twig posted:

They say it costs over 100 Warhammer armies to raise a child to adulthood.

And people complain about the cost of GW models. Take that! I can have over 1000 grey plastic babies for the price of your one flesh baby!

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Looks like the DiceBucket.com website domain is up for sale. May want to update the OP.

Done. Thanks for the heads up, Mr. President.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

LordAba posted:

And people complain about the cost of GW models. Take that! I can have over 1000 grey plastic babies for the price of your one flesh baby!

Got me to thinking. How have GW prices increased over the last 20 years compared to the cost of a college degree over the same time frame.

Can I take out loans for a new army?

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010
Encountered a Seer Council w/ invisibility on bikes. I was playing what I thought was a dead-hard Tau list.

Send help. Or dice with nothing but sixes.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Every time I consider doing a Sons of Horus detachment, I just get to look at how loving dogshit garbage apparently the most effective Terminator force in the 30k universe is.

Guess I'll be making more Imperial Fists.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Of all the reasons that I'm happy to have moved over to a xeno army this year, the most is having the "I'm only buying/building/painting/focusing on my dark eldar" to keep me from winding up with a huge 30k army by December 2015.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
We've actually went back to the older just give the unit stealth and shrouding instead of Snap Shots for Invisibility.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

I like what the FW guy did. Its a sons of horus command sprue head. You just need to chop off a few bits:

Or, what I might do, is to take an Iron Gorgon head from the iron hands and slap it in there:

Ok, gently caress getting IA 13 I'm starting my Sons of Horus army.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

panascope posted:

I'm trying to hold off on buying this book because I'm about to have a baby but this is making it really tempting.

panascope posted:

Ok, gently caress getting IA 13 I'm starting my Sons of Horus army.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
look we already established the baby does not need juice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
"Your kid's not gonna remember poo poo from their first 2-3 years on the planet, screw juice and unisex onesies, buy plastic/resin space barbies instead!"
- SRM, childless goon

• Locked thread