Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
After 20 years of wanting to play and 4 years of really holding back on the purchase (I have small children and time is now just freeing up) I finally picked up a starter guitar. Didn't want to invest a lot into the new hobby until I got myself over the beginners hump but think I found one of the better values out there. Now to make my fingers bleed and cramp up for a few months.

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-FG700S-Acoustic-Guitar/dp/B000FIZISQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The only gay car is the Transformer Jazz.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Robawesome posted:

It was quite a while ago but I'm pretty sure I just got mine from here

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/forumdisplay.php?f=248

Woo! Thanks!

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Rythe posted:

I found this nice 33 1/2 RPM record at the local goodwill today.

Front Cover:

Back Cover:

Looks like it is from 1974, it is a little beat up but that art work is pretty awesome looking and is in decent shape for its age. Not sure what the heck I am going to do with it for now, probably toss it into my closet until I move, than I can maybe figure out some space to display it or something.

I would buy this from you if you ever feel the need to get rid of it. So cool.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

TraderStav posted:

After 20 years of wanting to play and 4 years of really holding back on the purchase (I have small children and time is now just freeing up) I finally picked up a starter guitar. Didn't want to invest a lot into the new hobby until I got myself over the beginners hump but think I found one of the better values out there. Now to make my fingers bleed and cramp up for a few months.

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-FG700S-Acoustic-Guitar/dp/B000FIZISQ

I've had this guitar for two years and I love it to death. Get it set-up at a guitar shop just to make sure the action is low enough and you'll have fun learning on this. I still suck, but I've had a lot of fun in the past two years! crazy value for the money

KingColliwog has a new favorite as of 18:51 on Jan 5, 2015

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

KingColliwog posted:

I've had this guitar for two years and I love it to death. Get it set-up at a guitar shop just to make sure the action is low enough and you'll have fun learning on this. I still suck, but I've had a lot of fun in the past two years!

Really glad to hear about the endorsement. Not having any knowledge I was a bit uncertain that I didn't go the wrong route. Can you be more specific on what I should ask for when I go to the guitar shop to get set up? I bought it at Guitar Center but doubt I will go back there for anything regarding service and such.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

I've had that Yamaha guitar or one very close to it/same price range for probably 10 years. Great sounding guitar that's easy to play for beginners. I've lent mine to a co-worker to learn on and she likes it/wants one just like it. That reminds me, I need to get it back from her. Good luck with your new hobby.

Content: I splurged on some video game related purchases over the past week or so. Between credits, sales, trades, etc. I think I only payed full price for GTA5 and some Mario Kart DLC

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I had this for the 360 and repurchased for the PS4. I never finished the 360 version but I'm enjoying the PS4 version a lot more, even though I'm still repeating stuff I've already done. Such a great game.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

TraderStav posted:

Really glad to hear about the endorsement. Not having any knowledge I was a bit uncertain that I didn't go the wrong route. Can you be more specific on what I should ask for when I go to the guitar shop to get set up? I bought it at Guitar Center but doubt I will go back there for anything regarding service and such.

Just go in a reputable guitar shop, say that you're new to this and want the guitar setup. It shouldn't cost a whole lot and they can probably lower the action a little bit (make it so the strings are closer to the neck, which makes it easier to play/less painful on your fingers) and they might make a few adjustments to make sure the guitar sounds as good as it can. Even to my newbie ears and finger, there was a noticeable difference when I got mine set up.

KingColliwog has a new favorite as of 18:57 on Jan 5, 2015

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I bought a set of snow tires and steel wheels for my car from TireRack today. First time I've ever bought anything but all-seasons. Worn out tires just happened to coincide with "Holy gently caress winter is here!" so I figured what the hell, I can get non-winter tires once spring hits.

Also preordered the collector's edition of The Witcher 3 since I kept forgetting to and putting it off, etc.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

KingColliwog posted:

Just go in a reputable guitar shop, say that you're new to this and want the guitar setup. It shouldn't cost a whole lot and they can probably lower the action a little bit (make it so the strings are closer to the neck, which makes it easier to play/less painful on your fingers) and they might make a few adjustments to make sure the guitar sounds as good as it can. Even to my newbie ears and finger, there was a noticeable difference when I got mine set up.

Right on, thanks for the tip. I live just north of Ann Arbor so there's plenty of independent shops to choose from.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I had this for the 360 and repurchased for the PS4. I never finished the 360 version but I'm enjoying the PS4 version a lot more, even though I'm still repeating stuff I've already done. Such a great game.

I had it for the PS3, beat it, got sick of the broken and boring online mode and didn't touch it for months. I decided to pick it up for the hell of it and wow, it's a whole new game with the first person mode. I'm enjoying it again.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

I wanted a little bluetooth gadget for listening to audiobooks and doing Siri stuff, and the Motorola Hint is out of my price range at the moment. This one is only $15 (with prime shipping) and has the best reviews of all the products like it. Link here, for the interested.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Just received what I think must be the last gift for Cards Against Humanity's Kwanzaa holiday thing...

They bought an island in Maine, named it Hawaii 2, and sent everybody who participated a deed for one square foot of the property and permission to visit and use the land for recreation anytime

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

PCOS Bill posted:

I bought a set of snow tires and steel wheels for my car from TireRack today. First time I've ever bought anything but all-seasons. Worn out tires just happened to coincide with "Holy gently caress winter is here!" so I figured what the hell, I can get non-winter tires once spring hits.

Thank you for making everyone on the road just a little bit safer. I've always driven RWD+Snow Tires in the winter and have never, ever gotten stuck or been unable to stop in time. Every trip is spent dodging and keeping distance from SUVs with all-seasons sliding all over the place.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Robawesome posted:

Just received what I think must be the last gift for Cards Against Humanity's Kwanzaa holiday thing...

They bought an island in Maine, named it Hawaii 2, and sent everybody who participated a deed for one square foot of the property and permission to visit and use the land for recreation anytime

I enjoyed the map they gave us, but if anyone is curious as to where it actually is here's an article with a google map embedded.

http://www.pressherald.com/2014/12/24/game-maker-cards-against-humanity-buys-remote-maine-island-and-changes-its-name-to-hawaii-2/

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

TraderStav posted:

Right on, thanks for the tip. I live just north of Ann Arbor so there's plenty of independent shops to choose from.

In that case, take it to Ann Arbor Guitars on Liberty. Solid little shop and they do great work.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

colas posted:

Yeah, it's 2015 and all cars are heterosexual. Content - this is probably the best diet soda I've ever had.

I grew up on an aged vanilla farm and I can tell you first hand, you can really taste the aged vanilla.

Also, my Solara is gayer than a Miata. I'd take a rwd car over it any day.

My parents had this in their fridge, and when I went to visit them I tried it, and was shocked that it was a diet soda. It's the only diet soda i've tried that doesn't taste like a diet soda.

You can't go wrong with Yamaha FG's. Easily the best entry level acoustic guitars out there. Elliott Smith's main guitar was an older Yamaha FG. Make sure to put some top notch strings on it to get the most out of it though.

I picked up Forza Horizon 2. I've been renting it from gamefly, but it's going to keep me occupied for several months, and the cost of it used made it a smarter decision to just buy a copy.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I've finished it on both 360 and PS4 now and will try to have some fun online after I finish dragon age, and probably still fail.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

ChocNitty posted:

My parents had this in their fridge, and when I went to visit them I tried it, and was shocked that it was a diet soda. It's the only diet soda i've tried that doesn't taste like a diet soda.

You can't go wrong with Yamaha FG's. Easily the best entry level acoustic guitars out there. Elliott Smith's main guitar was an older Yamaha FG. Make sure to put some top notch strings on it to get the most out of it though.

I picked up Forza Horizon 2. I've been renting it from gamefly, but it's going to keep me occupied for several months, and the cost of it used made it a smarter decision to just buy a copy.

the miata screenshot is a nice touch

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
This is the most meta thread. It's also the best thread.

I bought You Need a Budget to help plan for some savings goals and visualize my money better. I'm pretty good with money and budgeting, but it's nice to have good software to track and plan some big things now. It gets an A+ from me so far, and it's so much better than Mint.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Bottom Liner posted:

I bought You Need a Budget to help plan for some savings goals and visualize my money better. I'm pretty good with money and budgeting, but it's nice to have good software to track and plan some big things now. It gets an A+ from me so far, and it's so much better than Mint.

The webinars are nice too. They run them almost daily.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Been using YNAB for just over three years now and it's amazing. We don't hold ourselves to the budgeted amounts as well as we should but it's fantastic for categorizing stuff to cushion the unexpected expenses, which was a big issue for me pre-YNAB. I always feel like I'm running hot on my budget due to categorizing so many things but when I run the annual income/expense report it's quite in the black, so all is well!

Buy this.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

I had GTA V for the 360 but my dogs ate it the second day. I am going to purchase it on the PC as soon as it is released. They can't eat digital media.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Bottom Liner posted:

Thanks for this, just started my free trial. I'm never in the red, but I want to start saving for a new car, so this is awesome.

semicolon
Jun 20, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

What exactly makes it so much better than Mint?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

YNAB is part philosophy and part software. Really hard to describe it. Check out the free eBook they have and try the 34 day trial. You'll feel like you have much more control of your finances in that month.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
I got a remote start for my gay car. It's a Viper. I got it because it gets cold here and hot here and I like a comfortable car.

I also got a JL Audio 10" Sub with amp and box.

I don't have pictures of any of this because it's installed in my gay car.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Tortoiseshell Looking Pocket Comb

It's a good comb but I'm slightly disappointed that its not real tortoiseshell

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

LTBS posted:

I got a remote start for my gay car. It's a Viper. I got it because it gets cold here and hot here and I like a comfortable car.

I don't have pictures of any of this because it's installed in my gay car.

This post couldn't have been more confusing. Is it a Viper brand remote start or is your gay car a Dodge Viper?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

semicolon posted:

What exactly makes it so much better than Mint?

It's actually easy to describe. It makes you pay attention to exactly what you spend by requiring you to input things manually, constantly review your finances by sending you emails and warnings, and generally keep money (and your potential spending of it) at the forefront of your mind. This works for a lot of people because it's like a constant reminder offsetting impulse purchases.

Mint, on the other hand, is a much more passive tool, a good "one stop shop" grouping of your overall financials without being particularly good at investment views, retirement planning or month-to-month budgeting. It's more for people who like seeing overall net worth graphs and like a convenient place to look at charges across multiple accounts.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

YNAB for me has been great, because it isn't all about setting exact spending limits on various categories; but it helps you manage and visualize how, if you overspend in one, you have to pull from another category. Then you can use that month to adjust for next month. It's been really helpful for me to understand my own spending habits.

I went a little nuts with the Steam sale, and I had gotten a gift card.

I love them all, except for the Game of Thrones one. I didn't really know what a Telltale game was like, and it's not very fun. It's like if a regular game wasn't very good at quick time events, and then made a whole game out of them. The story's not particularly interesting either. I do love Saints Row the Third, but I made the mistake of playing it after Saints Row 4, which I think is better.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I remember seeing YNAB on sale on steam and I regret not getting it. Argh.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

SaltLick posted:

I remember seeing YNAB on sale on steam and I regret not getting it. Argh.

Same... oh well, does it go on sale sometimes?

codespace
May 3, 2011

Le0 posted:

It regularly goes down to around $15 on Steam. Put it on your wishlist, and buy it when you get the notification that it's on sale. Fantastic piece of software.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Fractal Design Define R5

Here's to having a quieter, cooler, sleeker-looking computer in 2015 :toot:

I got one of these yesterday and it was an absolute dream to work with. Tons of space, great cable management and love the drive bays/SSD mounts.

My PSU is a bit further away from my motherboard so I need to get some extension cables today but it's a small quibble and not that surprising :)

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Bhodi posted:

It's actually easy to describe. It makes you pay attention to exactly what you spend by requiring you to input things manually, constantly review your finances by sending you emails and warnings, and generally keep money (and your potential spending of it) at the forefront of your mind. This works for a lot of people because it's like a constant reminder offsetting impulse purchases.

Mint, on the other hand, is a much more passive tool, a good "one stop shop" grouping of your overall financials without being particularly good at investment views, retirement planning or month-to-month budgeting. It's more for people who like seeing overall net worth graphs and like a convenient place to look at charges across multiple accounts.

Well, you're correct, I just wasn't able to articulate what made it so great!

I didn't know YNAB can do email alerts and don't see them as an option now that I'm looking for them. Where is this done?

Also, YNAB is one of those things that even if you can't get it on sale, you'll be better off just paying for it rather than waiting. You'll save more money than the discount by not waiting. Plus you can share the key with someone if you are really strapped for cash.... Your data is completely separate of your key.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

LTBS posted:

Why do people still do this? A lovely sub makes a lovely sound system louder not better. Replace all the speakers first if you must drive around and be laughed at when your car rattles.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Le0 posted:

http://www.steamgamesales.com/p5NcR/you-need-a-budget-4

looks like it goes on sale every 6 months during the winter/summer sales. i'll probably wait for a minor discount since i doubt it's going to go on sale any time soon. or i may just pull the trigger anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's

big mean giraffe posted:

Why do people still do this? A lovely sub makes a lovely sound system louder not better. Replace all the speakers first if you must drive around and be laughed at when your car rattles.

I like the sound of the system that is in the car. I wanted some more bass. My trunk doesn't rattle.

Thanks though.