Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ayn rand hand job posted:

don't be harsh

he could be rick scott

poo poo that's right, it's literally on the level of drug testing welfare users.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
bubble

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVxyHcMrccE

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ayn rand hand job posted:

that intersection sucks

it very much does, yes

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

oh good it's hp hovercraft's nightmare: intersection chat

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

IPvSH6T posted:

im trying to think where that sign would make sense that wouldnt be better served with a stop sign

i have encountered exactly one intersection in pittsburgh where you can do this. except you just end up stopped at another red light ten feet past that one

if the first light is red then so is the second. the way the light works, it's impossible to save more than like five seconds by turning left on red there. yet people do it

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i've done it a few times, for the novelty factor.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

prefect posted:

it very much does, yes

i almost moved to that avalon apartment complex down the road when i first moved to mass

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

automated bollards should piston outta the ground within the stop bar of each intersection that has a pedestrian crossing whenever that approach has a red

i'm down with this

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nintendo Kid posted:

poo poo that's right, it's literally on the level of drug testing welfare users.

nah, because rick scott at least profited from that

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Necc0 posted:

i failed the written test the first time i took it. the question that got me was: when are you allowed to make a left turn on red?

a ) bullshit
b ) bullshit
c ) when you're going from a one way road and to a one way road
d ) when there is a sign permitting you to do so

d was the wrong answer :mad:

dmv questions are terrible, there's always at least one on the quiz with ambiguous and multiple answers

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

automated bollards should piston outta the ground within the stop bar of each intersection that has a pedestrian crossing whenever that approach has a red

bollards are hosed up bullshit and it is every good citizen's duty to gently caress them up, or destroy them if they are able.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i took my driving test in florida and you literally never leave the dmv parking lot.

if you want to know why florida drivers all suck it's becuase they're old, but also because that

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yessssssss

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Shaggar posted:

bollards are hosed up bullshit and it is every good citizen's duty to gently caress them up, or destroy them if they are able.

why are they hosed up

if the car isn't supposed to be there at that time then what does it matter to you?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

duTrieux. posted:

dmv questions are terrible, there's always at least one on the quiz with ambiguous and multiple answers

when i took the test, there was a question about why you weren't allowed to drive through a funeral procession, and one of the possible answers was "because it's against the catholic religion". i got all outraged and offended, because i cared way too much about some things back then

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

duTrieux. posted:

why are they hosed up

if the car isn't supposed to be there at that time then what does it matter to you?

because they cant take into account unknown circumstances. they're far more likely to destroy a vehicle that got stuck in the intersection than to protect a pedestrian

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Shaggar posted:

because they cant take into account unknown circumstances. they're far more likely to destroy a vehicle that got stuck in the intersection than to protect a pedestrian

good

if the car is stuck then it already hosed up and should be punished

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Shaggar posted:

you can't. thats why it's called a "bollard" instead of a "stick poking up out of the ground"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

keyboard vomit posted:

good

if the car is stuck then it already hosed up and should be punished

yeah that makes sense. gently caress up the intersection for hours and get the city a lawsuit for litterrally no reason.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
atleast it wouldn't be as bad as those completely retarded single lane bollards they have in foreign shitholes

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Shaggar posted:

atleast it wouldn't be as bad as those completely retarded single lane bollards they have in foreign shitholes

those things are great because if you get hosed up by them it's your own drat fault and you deserve everything that happens

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Shaggar posted:

the same can be said of trains. do you think we should get rid of trains.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
can't wait for these guys to flameout

http://www.bridj.com/

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

keyboard vomit posted:

those things are great because if you get hosed up by them it's your own drat fault and you deserve everything that happens

no they're always poorly labeled and people who hit them are used to normal, safely flowing traffic and not random objects appearing in front of them. they're dumb poo poo designed by and for morons.

duTrieux. posted:

obviously the difference is a train can try to stop and people understand their car being there is a problem. bollards are secret and will hit you without warning.

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

bollards be a cold motherfucker

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Shaggar posted:

obviously the difference is a train can try to stop and people understand their car being there is a problem. bollards are secret and will hit you without warning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV2rdGX4JYc

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
putting a train on the road like that is really stupid and probably costs the city a ton of money every year.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
*out of towner follows the signage, gets plowed by a train*

"lol, hey moron didn't you know here in retardville our trains drive in the same lane as you?!?!?! wtf how are you not as hosed up in the head as us?!" - retardville resident.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Nintendo Kid posted:

can't wait for these guys to flameout

http://www.bridj.com/

oh boy the experience of an airport shuttle, for my daily commute

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

*out of towner follows the signage, gets plowed by a train*

"lol, hey moron didn't you know here in retardville our trains drive in the same lane as you?!?!?! wtf how are you not as hosed up in the head as us?!" - retardville resident.

doing anything at grade is dumb

turn all urban roads into pedestrian malls

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Experience Bridj

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

you're basically saying we should force people who don't have time to take a test that we know doesn't work because it makes you feel better.

it's you, you're the uber ceo

i'm an extreme elitist about who should be allowed to drive. you're getting all riled up at this stuff about re-testing but this is like my most generally acceptable belief about how the roads should be run. my real favorite idea is to mandate testing every year and only giving licenses to those who score in the top 75%!

bassguitarhero posted:

he also remarked it would have been easier to take the test in an automatic rather than the manual i had but i'm a boss shifter so it was all good

mine too but i owned the poo poo out of him with my amazing skills. besides it was drive dad's small manual car or mom's giant automatic minivan and i fuckin hated trying to parallel park that huge thing.

prefect posted:

when i took the test, there was a question about why you weren't allowed to drive through a funeral procession, and one of the possible answers was "because it's against the catholic religion". i got all outraged and offended, because i cared way too much about some things back then

i forget, are you one of the ones in the south? only below the mason-dixon line have i heard people say with complete sincerity "he's not christian, he's catholic"

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

R. Mute posted:

so it's uber dropping all pretence and actually driving rape-vans

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
dmv questions come in four kinds:

poorly-worded questions with multiple answers
ridiculously precise questions about mandatory signaling/following distances
questions with obvious right answers that are impossible to obey in reality because of other drivers
questions about rules that change between states, like whether you can turn left on red between one-way streets

the last are actually important to know, except you also need to know the answer for nearby states you're likely to visit, and that's never on the test

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sagebrush posted:

i'm an extreme elitist about who should be allowed to drive. you're getting all riled up at this stuff about re-testing but this is like my most generally acceptable belief about how the roads should be run. my real favorite idea is to mandate testing every year and only giving licenses to those who score in the top 75%!

yes we get it you're a piece of poo poo who thinks poor people should be unemployed since they might not be ale to take a test that doesn't actually prove anything about driving capability. and all your other ideas are even worse.

why don't you take your driving test right over to r/atheism, seems like it's more your speed

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i've enjoyed airport shuttles more than i have busses :shrug:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

yes we get it you're a piece of poo poo who thinks poor people should be unemployed since they might not be ale to take a test that doesn't actually prove anything about driving capability. and all your other ideas are even worse.

why don't you take your driving test right over to r/atheism, seems like it's more your speed

i made the fishmech angry! this is neat

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

prefect posted:

i've enjoyed airport shuttles more than i have busses :shrug:

less loving terrible than a regular bus, for only double the cost of a regular bus!

(and losing money, because their $3 flat fare is just an introductory offer)

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

duTrieux. posted:

something something replace them with BRT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

duTrieux. posted:

we absolutely should.

all trains should be grade separated inside all built-up areas, no exceptions. train/road intersections are a terrible, unnecessary hazard.

• Locked thread