Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
THE POOOOR
NEED TO BE TURNED INTO OIL!!!
TO POWER THE CARS!!!
OF THE RICH!!!!!

"That sounds like genocide, Adam."

Yep, she got canned for that reason, I'm thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I think Allison may have been having an extra-marital affair with Adam and she was threatening to exposure their relationship if he didn't divorce his wife and marry her. He fired her knowing that if she does blow the whistle now, no one will believe her because it will look like she's only doing it out of spite.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

What

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I look forward to the introduction of the next young Teresa Strasser.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
is gina grad the one with the loving terrible try-hard "radio" voice?

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

In the last month she had to sit and listen to either racist or hand wavy arguments regarding murder, the resulting complaints about protests by citizens/athletes, and a guest insinuate for about 20 minutes that Janay Rice was partially at fault for getting knocked out with Adam not disagreeing. I'm sure there was more to it than that, but it couldn't have helped. Then again Adam is routinely hypocritical (look at how happy he was with himself to let Conway say goodbye), so I wouldn't put it past him to can someone for not lining up with his ideology.

It would be fantastic if Adam would hire someone as intelligent as Teresa/Alison AND is willing to challenge Adam on his lovely and simplistic political views, but I won't hold my breath. Best we get is Bryan challenging him on coffee prices or iPhone design choices and all that amounts to is yelling.

Medullah posted:

I look forward to the introduction of the next young Teresa Strasser.

this is 100% on point and hilarious, I wonder if he even notices (his wife probably does, as did Teresa)

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
If anyone cares enough there is a Twitter movement to tweet @nerdist to get Alison Rosen Is Your New Best Friend to his network. A tweet using #HashtagAlisonForNerdist. Chris is on Twitter right now so he'll surely see it.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

What would that do for Alison? I ask not in a smug way, I just do not know what the nerdist is or what podcast networks even do for anyone. Also lol what if Carolla tries to keep her podcast's name and staff via some legal spite. Could that be possible?

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

beep by grandpa posted:

What would that do for Alison? I ask not in a smug way, I just do not know what the nerdist is or what podcast networks even do for anyone. Also lol what if Carolla tries to keep her podcast's name and staff via some legal spite. Could that be possible?

She's stated that she owns all of the rights to her show and if she leaves she can take the show. Plus she just tweeted that the show will continue.

Putting it on a large network would increase her exposure, hopefully make her more money, and in return would keep us entertained!

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Also, podcasts aren't impossible to go solo on but it's nice if there is an existing place to use the studio, mics, producers/interns, borrow guests passing through, tap into advertising options, etc.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I cannot believe how brutal it must feel to be spoken about publicly as being "not a good sidekick" after having that job for like 5 years???

Not to mention bald Bryan still has a job and he is the most useless, white noise human being on the earth.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

beep by grandpa posted:

I cannot believe how brutal it must feel to be spoken about publicly as being "not a good sidekick" after having that job for like 5 years???

Not to mention bald Bryan still has a job and he is the most useless, white noise human being on the earth.

The main thing I like about BB is the fact that he sometimes has the nuts to say he disagrees with Adam.

CatfishClyde
Jul 22, 2001
Orange Rhyming Dictionary
Strasser challenged Adam all the time politically, didn't she? I don't see that as the reason Allison would get dumped. My guess is he got loaded and made a move on her on New Years Eve or something.

Gina Grad will get this job because not only is she "side-kick material" but she also has very large breasts. Bald is dragging this show slowly but surely into the shitter. Why Adam has sided with him over now two news girls, I'll never understand.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

They're like Walter White and Jesse.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

beep by grandpa posted:

Except he said she was a good sidekick. Just not a great one. Plus he said she was a better host than a sidekick which is a compliment. This will probably end up being a good thing for her career anyway.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

CatfishClyde posted:

Strasser challenged Adam all the time politically, didn't she? I don't see that as the reason Allison would get dumped. My guess is he got loaded and made a move on her on New Years Eve or something.

Gina Grad will get this job because not only is she "side-kick material" but she also has very large breasts. Bald is dragging this show slowly but surely into the shitter. Why Adam has sided with him over now two news girls, I'll never understand.
Is this for real? You really think he made a pass at her and then fired her? That's wild.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

CatfishClyde posted:

A big reason why Bald is still around is because of the longevity/loyalty for all these years, and probably partly because Adam would probably feel awful for firing a cancer patient.

CatfishClyde
Jul 22, 2001
Orange Rhyming Dictionary

Moniker posted:

Is this for real? You really think he made a pass at her and then fired her? That's wild.

Eh, not really, I don't think she's his type actually, and I think Allison is assertive enough to not just keep quiet if she was harassed.

I would not be surprised if it came to light that he was having an affair, though. His marriage has been rocky and he's been boozing a lot, at least these are the impressions I have.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

CatfishClyde posted:

Eh, not really, I don't think she's his type actually, and I think Allison is assertive enough to not just keep quiet if she was harassed.

I would not be surprised if it came to light that he was having an affair, though. His marriage has been rocky and he's been boozing a lot, at least these are the impressions I have.

I would agree but I think he's got so many issues the guy would rather jerk off that gently caress hot chicks. Haha.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Tweak posted:

this is 100% on point and hilarious, I wonder if he even notices (his wife probably does, as did Teresa)

Yeah they talked about it on her first show. If I remember correctly they even tweeted the picture with something like "Meet the new Teresa Strassar! We couldn't find a new news girl so we just cloned her"

Beeez
May 28, 2012

beep by grandpa posted:

They're like Walter White and Jesse.

This is a really good analogy.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I'm miffed about how there was no farewell show or any loving thing, just HEY NEW YEAR ALISON'S GONE, welp, back to the show.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

followed immediately by, "here's why i'm such a hero for letting Conway say good-bye"

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Probably good for Allison's career to leave, I'd be surprised if the show really takes off at this point, it will probably just be a long downward slope, regardless if she would have stuck around or not.

Show is getting pretty desperate and Adam's personal life seems like it's a big alcoholic ticking time bomb, so at least we have his divorce to look forward to.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Mangria rules though. I went through 3 bottles over the holiday season.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
It's hard to say from here but I would guess that if Carolla's life goes to hell it will be due to his working too much more than his drinking too much.

Agree it was probably in Alison's interest to leave. Assuming she keeps her show going I'm sure she'll give a straight version as to what she thinks happened.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

pangstrom posted:

It's hard to say from here but I would guess that if Carolla's life goes to hell it will be due to his working too much more than his drinking too much.

Agree it was probably in Alison's interest to leave. Assuming she keeps her show going I'm sure she'll give a straight version as to what she thinks happened.

I doubt she'll say anything. If it was something awful, she won't say anything because of a potential lawsuit, and if it was something trivial she'll avoid saying anything to not trash her relationship with Adam further. No sense burning bridges if they're not already smoldering.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Medullah posted:

I doubt she'll say anything. If it was something awful, she won't say anything because of a potential lawsuit, and if it was something trivial she'll avoid saying anything to not trash her relationship with Adam further. No sense burning bridges if they're not already smoldering.
She has a largely-confessional podcast and this is the question 90% of her fans are interested in. I think the lawsuit talk is silly and I doubt saying what happened is going to further burn any bridges, and even if I'm wrong she can corporate-it-up a little.

How Much Art
Oct 29, 2003
Trampoline Destroys Bear
I haven't listened to him in a few years, but I liked Alison, so I checked out this show. He was more diplomatic about getting rid of Bonaduce. Kind of bizarre.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

visuvius posted:

Alison was great. I'm convinced she was booted because she wasn't conservative enough for him. Its pretty obvious that she runs liberal and often had to hold back when political poo poo came up. She is getting canned for the few times she couldn't hold back and very lightly challenged him. He takes the "don't poo poo on my point" stuff really loving seriously. I don't get it man, he was great but he has really gone off the rails recently. He is waaaay too full of himself and is now the blowhard he used to make fun of.

Gina Grad is really, really bland.

I doubt that. Teresa was pretty liberal and so is Bald Bryan. The chemistry between the two got worse and worse over the last year that I think he just realized they needed to change. Alison's brand of humor is much different from Adam's. They are both better off this way.

I'm disappointed he didn't try to bring in a young up-and-coming comedian to replace her though. Gina Grad is generic female radio sidekick #484823. Find some local talent, have them sit-in for a few shows, and see if you find someone who connects. This idea of a "newsgirl" is so outdated.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Niwrad posted:

I doubt that. Teresa was pretty liberal and so is Bald Bryan. The chemistry between the two got worse and worse over the last year that I think he just realized they needed to change. Alison's brand of humor is much different from Adam's. They are both better off this way.

I'm disappointed he didn't try to bring in a young up-and-coming comedian to replace her though. Gina Grad is generic female radio sidekick #484823. Find some local talent, have them sit-in for a few shows, and see if you find someone who connects. This idea of a "newsgirl" is so outdated.
It's possible that's the plan and Grad is just a placeholder. He's going to try out others he said.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
Her husband posted this to Instagram: http://instagram.com/p/xe0NDRoxXv/

Seems as if them parting was was not necessarily on good terms and (like the assumptions have shown) they weren't happy with one another for a while now.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
Random speculation... I'm going with the money hypothesis. Her show was #2 on the ACE network, she probably wanted a bigger paycheck. Alison has been a freelance writer for a long time, and from my own experience over the past few years freelancing on the side (I do have a day job), there are some publications or gigs that pay less than the time and frustration involved. You can do it for a while to get experience and get your name out there, but eventually, it's just not worth it and you've got to move on (contrary to Adam's maxim that you should work for free until finding success). Seeing as how Adam has severed ties with other lifelong friends when they asked to be compensated for their contributions to his empire... I doubt she's going to sue him, though, there was probably more dignity in leaving.

There was some hint at this when The Film Vault left the ACE network, and Anderson and Bryan basically came out and said that when their lawyer looked over the new paperwork, "It was the most one-sided contract he'd ever seen" in terms of revenue sharing and content rights.

Alison is smart, sober, and quick witted, which meant that she'd occasionally drop a little joke in a regular show or a live show that would get a laugh before Adam figured it out. Either it was slightly complicated wordplay or a more educated reference, but I'm guessing that really ground on Adam over the years. Add to that her habit of actually asking relevant and probing questions during interviews, like knowing that Eliot Gould's ex-wife was Barbara Streisand. Best of luck to her, and I hope ARIYNBF finds a home on Nerdist or Maximum Fun or elsewhere.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I bet its money - it's all Adam cares about.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

benito posted:

Random speculation... I'm going with the money hypothesis. Her show was #2 on the ACE network, she probably wanted a bigger paycheck. Alison has been a freelance writer for a long time, and from my own experience over the past few years freelancing on the side (I do have a day job), there are some publications or gigs that pay less than the time and frustration involved. You can do it for a while to get experience and get your name out there, but eventually, it's just not worth it and you've got to move on (contrary to Adam's maxim that you should work for free until finding success). Seeing as how Adam has severed ties with other lifelong friends when they asked to be compensated for their contributions to his empire... I doubt she's going to sue him, though, there was probably more dignity in leaving.

There was some hint at this when The Film Vault left the ACE network, and Anderson and Bryan basically came out and said that when their lawyer looked over the new paperwork, "It was the most one-sided contract he'd ever seen" in terms of revenue sharing and content rights.

Alison is smart, sober, and quick witted, which meant that she'd occasionally drop a little joke in a regular show or a live show that would get a laugh before Adam figured it out. Either it was slightly complicated wordplay or a more educated reference, but I'm guessing that really ground on Adam over the years. Add to that her habit of actually asking relevant and probing questions during interviews, like knowing that Eliot Gould's ex-wife was Barbara Streisand. Best of luck to her, and I hope ARIYNBF finds a home on Nerdist or Maximum Fun or elsewhere.

Very well thought out post. I can't see it going any other way honestly. From what I gathered (might be speculation) the amazon links were all dumped into the pot for Ace Broadcasting and then shows were paid out of that. So I'd assume she was making very little money seeing as she suggested everybody update the Amazon links from this point onward. I guess only time will tell. Adam definitely needs to talk about it more if he wants to win fans back, that's for certain.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

benito posted:

This is a good post that might be close to the truth.

Alison shows up to work every day, had/has a successful show on his network, and adds to his show. Combined with the fact that her departure was at the end of 2014/beginning of 2015, it just seems like it'd be the money/contract thing.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

I've been a listener throughout Alison's run on the show, and it really bummed me out to hear she was let go. I thought her wit and personality brought a lot to the show, and her compassion and just actual empathy to other human beings was a nice contrast to Adam's "gently caress the poor" and "pro shame" rhetoric.

I did listen to her podcast today with Jo Koy, and in the intro she mentions that she will eventually explain the situation. So I guess we'll get that when she has her own show off and running outside of Carolla's network.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

And she's starting IVF soon, right? Probably would have been nice to get a salary bump to start it comfortably and not worry about it bankrupting you before the kid(s) do.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I wouldn't trust Adam at all with distributing up the revenue from Amazon links and that sort. I know a few times on Adam and Drew's show, Adam has given the wrong promo code and Drew sort of chimes in about it and Adam blows him off. Drew is a pushover and probably doesn't put up much of a fight. Adam has made it clear when he talks that he feels he deserves most of the money and everyone else should be happy with whatever scraps he leaves for them.

I'm hoping Alison lets us know what happened but I have a feeling it's a mix of them being a bad match on-the-air and Alison wanting more responsibility/money for her position with the show (and perhaps being paid a larger cut for her own show).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

When he said that she wasn't a good side kick my jaw dropped. No way it took you three years to come to that conclusion. I knew right then there was some other reason for it.

I guess we'll have to wait until Allison explains it on her own podcast sometime in the future.