Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

thehustler posted:

I know, and I do tell people that, but that seems to be one of the things they don't care about, going in for passenger satisfaction and punctuality instead.

Southern are particularly bad for that. i think their punctuality (as self reported) is at like 60% recently, and their reliability was only about 90% - that means you can only actually get a train 9 out of 10 times, I think?

Also, their advertising often says poo poo like "our passengers voted us most reliable" or horseshit like that - which makes me wonder why they need passenger opinions for a statistic which should be empirically provable one way or another. If somebody were prepared to go digging I bet you could find they make up bullshit massaged stats pretty much constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oberleutnant posted:

Don't really have any longbows up here. There's a bison skull (was here before me) above my desk I could drop out the window, maybe

Put your computer speakers out the window and blare this at them.

Or try and find a halberd. Chillingham Castle has a nice halberd upstairs and an iron maiden in the basement.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Won't anyone think of the pheasants

Red7
Sep 10, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

I do all the time. They taste AWESOME.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Oberleutnant posted:

Don't really have any longbows up here. There's a bison skull (was here before me) above my desk I could drop out the window, maybe

You could improvise boiling oil with a kettle and a quick trip to Halfords.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You could improvise boiling oil with a kettle and a quick trip to Halfords.

lmao the nearest halfords is probably at least 20 miles away.
There is a cauldron in the armoury downstairs though.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Zephro posted:

Also with a small and shrinking all-volunteer force the number of people with direct experience of serving in the armed forces - which is a pretty good inoculation against the hero-worship - is shrinking all the time.

In the US something like a quarter of the male population are veterans and they really don't seem to be inoculated.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"

thehustler posted:

I know, and I do tell people that, but that seems to be one of the things they don't care about, going in for passenger satisfaction and punctuality instead.

No because that was not how it ran. The question of punctuality only really became important once delay minutes began to exist (NR gets fined if they make a TOC late, TOC gets fined if they make another TOC late etc), and was not how we ran a railway in Britain.

It must be said, BR ran a lot less trains than we do today, but quite often these were longer (8 car HST vs 4 car Voyager is a classic modern thing) so there were more seats. BR also had empowered staff on the ground and because delay wasn't so absolute millions of pounds crucial, they would hold trains at stations to allow connections etc to happen which simply doesn't happen any more. The drivers/guards/train managers were also more flexible and well trained so if things did go tits up, they could work round problems where now you find the issue of the silos of drivers only sign one route and can't go round the alternatives. They also delivered lots of engineering works with trains still running, and had integrated plans to run "blockade buster" services etc. Kings Cross is a classic example of this at Christmas, in any sensible world, trains would have been sent into St Pancras (as Hull Trains did incidentally...) but to do this in the modern age it requires the East Coast driver to be 'route conducted' by a East Midlands Trains driver, the two companies to come to work out a compensation scheme between them, NR to agree to the train plan and it's a loving farce.

Financially, at it's death in the mid-90s, BR was the most financially efficient railway IN EUROPE.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

Pheasants are idiots and will charge for your car when you drive along, I'm assuming because they associate it with the farmer or whoever coming and feeding them. So they're probably not idiots really, just conditioned to get themselves killed by cars then set free in places where lots of cars are. Also the person responsible for them is absolved of any responsibility so if they gently caress up your car (or damage your garden or anything that costs people money) the people who get paid to breed them can just shrug their shoulders.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You do get a free pheasant though.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Bozza posted:

No because that was not how it ran. The question of punctuality only really became important once delay minutes began to exist (NR gets fined if they make a TOC late, TOC gets fined if they make another TOC late etc), and was not how we ran a railway in Britain.

It must be said, BR ran a lot less trains than we do today, but quite often these were longer (8 car HST vs 4 car Voyager is a classic modern thing) so there were more seats. BR also had empowered staff on the ground and because delay wasn't so absolute millions of pounds crucial, they would hold trains at stations to allow connections etc to happen which simply doesn't happen any more. The drivers/guards/train managers were also more flexible and well trained so if things did go tits up, they could work round problems where now you find the issue of the silos of drivers only sign one route and can't go round the alternatives. They also delivered lots of engineering works with trains still running, and had integrated plans to run "blockade buster" services etc. Kings Cross is a classic example of this at Christmas, in any sensible world, trains would have been sent into St Pancras (as Hull Trains did incidentally...) but to do this in the modern age it requires the East Coast driver to be 'route conducted' by a East Midlands Trains driver, the two companies to come to work out a compensation scheme between them, NR to agree to the train plan and it's a loving farce.

Financially, at it's death in the mid-90s, BR was the most financially efficient railway IN EUROPE.

It was poo poo. I don't care what imaginative wizardy informs the comment that it was 'financially efficient', the service objectively sucked balls. It was slow and unreliable. It was not a better train service than you could have gotten in several other European countries.

It's faster now, but the increase in speed is not commensurate with the increase in price. Just like all neo-liberal privatization miracles, the service is slightly better for a poo poo load more cash. It probably should have just been privatized better, with more efficient and tight regulation. Unfortunately, the forces in the UK who wanted to privatize everything were totally beholden to big business.

Rail is also just a lovely industry. It's always been a problem industry.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Well, assuming you want to stop in the middle of the dual carriage way and pick it up.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Red7 posted:

:magical:

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

Disinterested posted:

It was poo poo. I don't care what imaginative wizardy informs the comment that it was 'financially efficient', the service objectively sucked balls. It was slow and unreliable. It was not a better train service than you could have gotten in several other European countries.

It's faster now, but the increase in speed is not commensurate with the increase in price. Just like all neo-liberal privatization miracles, the service is slightly better for a poo poo load more cash. It probably should have just been privatized better, with more efficient and tight regulation. Unfortunately, the forces in the UK who wanted to privatize everything were totally beholden to big business.

Rail is also just a lovely industry. It's always been a problem industry.

Er, we had the highest percentage high speed lines in Europe well into the late 80s, we run more trains than half of Europe combined. The service from London to Bristol/Cardiff is now slower than it was in the early 90s. Literally only the West Coast is higher speed than it was in the BR days and that was after they spunked billions on it and didn't do a proper job. It was unreliable because the whole loving network had been starved of money for decades on single year budgets. You have no idea what you are talking about.

There were better ways to privatise it, but still wouldn't solve many of the problems that exist within the network which are almost universally to do with interfaces.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Mister Adequate posted:

Well, I think that seals it. I'll be swallowing my misgivings over their stance on some scientific issues and voting Green (I was anyway).

That was always a pretty major part of Green policy, I don't know why you needed her to write a Guardian article stating what is already her party's line to come to that decision?

Bozza posted:

No no no no loving no.

gently caress off with this poo poo, stop using East Coast as a catch all for nationalisation. Yes they did a lot of good poo poo, but they are not the model for a modern nationalised railway network.

We need integration between train operator and infrastructure controller again, absolute destruction of the concept of delay minute attribution and joined up thinking regarding delivery of railway operations, with an eye towards management of engineering works.

I wish I could sit down with people like Lucas (who I like) and explain how to make the industry work better. Clue: it would involve going back to a BR type sector approach because that was the best the railway in this country has ever been run.

I don't think she's outright saying 'East Coast is the specific model we should be following' but more 'public owned is better than private in the broad sense'. East Coast has done well on some things, as you say, and is therefore better than say CrossCountry, but that doesn't say that something even better couldn't be done within the framework of public ownership. Pretty sure she'd agree with that.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 5, 2015

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Bozza posted:

Er, we had the highest percentage high speed lines in Europe well into the late 80s, we run more trains than half of Europe combined. The service from London to Bristol/Cardiff is now slower than it was in the early 90s. Literally only the West Coast is higher speed than it was in the BR days and that was after they spunked billions on it and didn't do a proper job. It was unreliable because the whole loving network had been starved of money for decades on single year budgets. You have no idea what you are talking about.

There were better ways to privatise it, but still wouldn't solve many of the problems that exist within the network which are almost universally to do with interfaces.

And here you have one of the biggest problems of all. Had the whole thing been sold off as a monolithic lump, presumably with a BT-style covenant on service provision, it would probably have all worked out a lot better. Instead John Major was convinced by splitting it up that way you'd instantly get a return to the days of the Big Four and the GWR competing with the LMS to run the best services. Instead, like all attempts to force a market where one can;t naturally exist, the main business of the companies involved is gaming that market rather than providing the services that market is supposed to represent.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Red7 posted:

Like chips, they taste far better poached from an unsuspecting owner though

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

And here you have one of the biggest problems of all. Had the whole thing been sold off as a monolithic lump, presumably with a BT-style covenant on service provision, it would probably have all worked out a lot better. Instead John Major was convinced by splitting it up that way you'd instantly get a return to the days of the Big Four and the GWR competing with the LMS to run the best services. Instead, like all attempts to force a market where one can;t naturally exist, the main business of the companies involved is gaming that market rather than providing the services that market is supposed to represent.

To be fair to Major, he did propose a return to the Big Four, but the Adam Smith Institute convinced him to create a "vibrant market place" or some other such bollocks. To copy paste from my train thread, the complexity is the biggest issue with the industry at the moment. Here is a watered down diagram:

edit: and this was worse when Railtrack was in charge cos maintenance wasn't in house so was another subcontract. Madness.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Guavanaut posted:

I thought you couldnt pick it up if you hit it, but if you find one thats been hit you can?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

serious gaylord posted:

I thought you couldnt pick it up if you hit it, but if you find one thats been hit you can?

this was my understanding of the laws of pheasants

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

serious gaylord posted:

Yes. If you were planning to go on a car-based pheasant hunt you'd need two people and vehicles, one for the kill and the other for the retrieval. If you want to feel upper class you can put dogs in the second vehicle. (e: Do not let the dogs drive)

If it just happens in the middle of a country lane and nobody notices, it's probably not an issue. :ssh:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

ThomasPaine posted:

That was always a pretty major part of Green policy, I don't know why you needed her to write a Guardian article stating what is already her party's line to come to that decision?

Did you not see where I said "I was voting for them anyway"? I just like that she's raised the issue at all, even if most of the rest of government will brush it off and reiterate the power of the ~free market~

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Bozza posted:

I wish I could sit down with people like Lucas (who I like) and explain how to make the industry work better. Clue: it would involve going back to a BR type sector approach because that was the best the railway in this country has ever been run.

Write her a letter and you probably could. It's not like they have a lot else to do at the moment, and you're likely more of a rail expert than anyone else they have easily available.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
has anyone made pheasant and red wine flavoured crisps yet?

Fluo
May 25, 2007

JFairfax posted:

has anyone made pheasant and red wine flavoured crisps yet?

'Red Wine' sounds abit lower middle class, What type of red wine we talking? :wotwot:

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fluo posted:

'Red Wine' sounds abit lower middle class, What type of red wine we talking? :wotwot:

French, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, French errr Southern French. Danish.

Cotes... eau de cotes, chateau neuf, any of the papes, 97 through to 81

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Just give me a Vimto.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Don't pick a pheasant up that's been hit by a car you idiots, they have very flimsy bones which break easily especially when hit by a car at sixty miles an hour. Roadkill isn't meant to be eaten.

They're all poo poo now anyway, but you can probably get one for two quid that was shot. By a posh fella.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I'm still concerned that the Greens want to scrap HS2. It's a fundamentally un-Green policy aimed at capturing a few council seats in Camden.

I'm also concerned that the cancellation of HS2 might be one of Lucas's demands if the Greens are in a position to offer Supply and Confidence.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Fluo posted:

"Claret" is the word you're after

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Speaking of HS2, there's a rumour going round they want to flatten the Soho Curzon to make a ticket office/station. While these are unsubstantiated at the moment, why the gently caress would the Curzon be an appropriate/realistic place to put something like that?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Goldskull posted:

Speaking of HS2, there's a rumour going round they want to flatten the Soho Curzon to make a ticket office/station. While these are unsubstantiated at the moment, why the gently caress would the Curzon be an appropriate/realistic place to put something like that?

As in, the one in London? That's more at danger from Crossrail.

The Birmingham terminus will be at the old Curzon Street station, which is now half railway land, half car park. Maybe that's what they mean.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Duh my bad, I misremembered it from this morning, Crossrail 2 it is, not HS2.

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/save-the-curzon-soho?bucket&source=facebook-share-button&time=1420394983

Anyway, hopefully just rumoured, although the speed at which Westminster are knocking the gently caress out of anything interesting in Soho nothing would suprise me. Tons of Tourist tat shops littering Shaftesbury Ave? They can stay! Much loved and respected indie cinema? Flatten it!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

LemonDrizzle posted:

Caroline Lucas is arguing for railway renationalisation.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jan/02/fare-rises-british-railways-should-be-renationalised-caroline-lucas

Also, household debt dropped from 175% of income after the crash to around 130% so yay, we're less poor!

We aren't, old people are (unless you're an old person in which case apologies :corsair:)

http://www.theguardian.com/business/economics-blog/2015/jan/04/credit-boom-ticking-timebomb-uk-plc

'Yet the overall figure depends on the over-50s paying off their mortgages at an accelerated rate. By contrast, the under-40s take on bigger mortgages to buy a home with an inflated price and borrow on credit cards to fund a lifestyle ravaged by six years of below inflation pay rises.'

(over-50s are also the people who were able to buy houses back before they cost more than the GDP of Argentina, and have been ringfenced from austerity cuts to pensions, of course...)

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

notaspy posted:

Seeing as he is an unrepentant rapist as well as an unsocialised criminal does that mean that he can never be accepted back into civilisation?

For example if he applies for a job as a builders mate should that be denied to him? Or are we saying that being a footballer is too privileged a position for him?

We already bar people convicted of certain crimes from working in certain jobs and industries, the finance sector won't hire anyone who's been convicted of fraud (unless they're rich or have the right friends to let them in). He could do any job that doesn't require a CRB check and doesn't have contact with children and vulnerable adults, just like any other nonce. And of course for the time being, he'd have to take a job that fits the conditions of his sentence, since he served half in prison and is serving the other half out. I'm not too sure how that works.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Someone needs to tell people that footballers aren't role models. Especially lower league waste men, rapists or otherwise.

If you're thinking right now of a footballer who you think is a role model, him being a footballer is probably irrelevant.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Someone needs to tell people that footballers aren't role models. Especially lower league waste men, rapists or otherwise.

If you're thinking right now of a footballer who you think is a role model, him being a footballer is probably irrelevant.

Sorry mate but he's on telly all the time, driving around fancy cars and that's because he can run up field and put the ball in the goalhole.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToAah0ME4bY

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

stickyfngrdboy posted:

You will literally never manage that because kids aren't learning to admire and emulate footballers from their parents or from their teachers. The poor lad from the council estate who became a world-famous millionaire footballer with a fit bird and a nice car is going to appeal to a gently caress load of average kids no matter what anybody else says, and why not? Who wouldn't want that? Now try to convince those kids to square away that aspirational dream with the notion that these guys are not to be admired for any moral qualities, or whatever. It's not going to work. Kids will emulate their heroes, and their heroes are not necessarily the people that you or their parents or teachers might wish them to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

croc suit
Nov 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Bozza posted:

To be fair to Major, he did propose a return to the Big Four, but the Adam Smith Institute convinced him to create a "vibrant market place" or some other such bollocks. To copy paste from my train thread, the complexity is the biggest issue with the industry at the moment. Here is a watered down diagram:

edit: and this was worse when Railtrack was in charge cos maintenance wasn't in house so was another subcontract. Madness.

Complex for a non-mensan, sure.

• Locked thread