Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?

ImPureAwesome posted:

Am i a bad person for thinking non gx f-zerois kinda boring

No, not really. F-Zero X looks like mud so that it can run at 60 FPS and with the amount of racers it does, so unless you are actually playing it, it takes a bit to get interested. As for the original, SNES games are always a bit weird to spectate, at least for me.

If you mean outside of streams and just in general, then you are a bit weird, yeah.

Sad to hear that it's as bad as it is, though. I loving love F-Zero and seeing you guys rip on this current run is a real bummer. Has ANYTHING noteworthy happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

So that's what that feels like
At least the race is a lot closer than DKR, unless 6ish second is a huge gap in this game

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
honestly racing speedruns are only fun when poo poo is completely broken/breakable like in GX and probably the DKR any%

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

That entire run was so unbelievably hype. I've never even beaten GX's story mode and he completely clowned it.

For my money the best moment in all of AGDQ 2014 was that straight line dash mission, where CGN is bribed into deliberately skipping a capsule. Just after "Oh wait, he doesn't have enough boost so this is going to be a little--", there's this beautiful gap of a few seconds where nobody in the whole room is breathing. Then he makes it with like 0.9 seconds to spare and the crowd goes wild. It's like something out of a film.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?

qntm posted:

For my money the best moment in all of AGDQ 2014 was that straight line dash mission, where CGN is bribed into deliberately skipping a capsule. Just after "Oh wait, he doesn't have enough boost so this is going to be a little--", there's this beautiful gap of a few seconds where nobody in the whole room is breathing. Then he makes it with like 0.9 seconds to spare and the crowd goes wild. It's like something out of a film.

Naming a best "moment" from that run is impossible. The whole thing is magic. There's a bit where one of the guys takes off his shades and he actually has another pair underneath. It's loving incredible.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Voted Worst Mom posted:

honestly racing speedruns are only fun when poo poo is completely broken/breakable like in GX and probably the DKR any%

F-Zero X and GX are just very challenging games, so watching people play it skillfully is very impressive to me.

poo poo like Mario Kart is not very exciting to watch people go fast at normally because it's not that hard.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

F-Zero last year was nice because the runner was really laid back and made decent commentary about cool shortcuts while also taking breaks to let people hear the cool soundtrack. It wasn't some amazing adrenaline rush, but this weirdly relaxed run that was a very appropriate primer for the crazy GX run.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Sdoots posted:

No, not really. F-Zero X looks like mud so that it can run at 60 FPS and with the amount of racers it does, so unless you are actually playing it, it takes a bit to get interested. As for the original, SNES games are always a bit weird to spectate, at least for me.

If you mean outside of streams and just in general, then you are a bit weird, yeah.

Sad to hear that it's as bad as it is, though. I loving love F-Zero and seeing you guys rip on this current run is a real bummer. Has ANYTHING noteworthy happened?

Yeah I meant watching it. I've never actually played it

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
I think I'm coming to the realization that race based speed run races are lame as gently caress. They should just race each other.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

Rorus Raz posted:

F-Zero last year was nice because the runner was really laid back and made decent commentary about cool shortcuts while also taking breaks to let people hear the cool soundtrack. It wasn't some amazing adrenaline rush, but this weirdly relaxed run that was a very appropriate primer for the crazy GX run.

Reading this made me think about what it'd be like if that guy who did Perfect Dark did the GX run.

"That guy" being the one who interupted others abruptly with "I NEED TO CONCENTRATE" and didn't participate in anything that the rest of the people there tried to do, like a quick "Happy birthday!" to a donator or something. It was painful.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Listen to all those enthusiastic F-Zero fans demanding the series comes back.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I like Naegleria as a couch dude. I dunno why. He's a total dickwad but he's just so blunt.

"This trick saves, uh, 0.2 seconds?" "And how costly is it if you miss?" "...Well, you die."

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Crain posted:

I think I'm coming to the realization that race based speed run races are lame as gently caress. They should just race each other.

I assumed all the races would be against each other :(

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Random Stranger posted:

Nerds are awkward people who don't do normal things, so we get jumping jacks instead of fandom cheering.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Ramadu posted:

I assumed all the races would be against each other :(

F-Zero is a single-player game. It has no multiplayer. GX's story mode is the same way I think? I don't know about Climax though.

Diddy Kong Racing could have been a co-op run any% run though.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Random Stranger posted:

Seems to be a trend this AGDQ, this is the most lifeless I've ever seen any GDQ. Even the runners seem afraid of showing a personality, and the GDQ monitor is gone. :smith:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Crain posted:

Yep. I don't really see the point when both are essentially playing the exact same way with a few seconds of difference.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

I like Naegleria as a couch dude. I dunno why. He's a total dickwad but he's just so blunt.

"This trick saves, uh, 0.2 seconds?" "And how costly is it if you miss?" "...Well, you die."
This exactly why a race was a terrible idea. F-Zero seemed to have a bunch of crazy high-risk shortcuts that saved mere portions of a segment. In a race nobody is going to risk dying for such a small lead.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

RyokoTK posted:

I agree, I think there's something so genuine about how much of an rear end in a top hat he can be that comes off endearing, haha.

I also really enjoyed his Sonic 1 run last year where afterwards he pulled off this really loving clutch TAS trick in Green Hill Act 3, if anyone remembers that.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Alteisen posted:

Seems to be a trend this AGDQ, this is the most lifeless I've ever seen any GDQ. Even the runners seem afraid of showing a personality, and the GDQ monitor is gone. :smith:

Yeah, With the exception of the obvious runs most of these guys, even the ones with good runs, seem really subdued this year. Everyone seems like they are trying way too hard to be professional.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Crain posted:

Depends on the game. There's been some very enjoyable runs of newer F-Zero games in years past. I don't think the SNES one lends itself to an entertaining watch though.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Hakkesshu posted:

Yep. I don't really see the point when both are essentially playing the exact same way with a few seconds of difference.

Rorus Raz posted:

This exactly why a race was a terrible idea. F-Zero seemed to have a bunch of crazy high-risk shortcuts that saved mere portions of a segment. In a race nobody is going to risk dying for such a small lead.

What they really need to do is have more E-SPORTS commentary like they did with Super Metroid last year.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:

RyokoTK posted:

What they really need to do is have more E-SPORTS commentary like they did with Super Metroid last year.

While I support this, isn't Go1den's throat currently as destroyed as Studio's? I thought he sounded pretty ragged last time they had him on donations.

rocket USA
Sep 14, 2011
Race-based speedruns are fun when they're not actually head-to-head races. When the runner is willing/able to explain what they're doing it's worlds better.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Chocolate Donuts posted:

While I support this, isn't Go1den's throat currently as destroyed as Studio's? I thought he sounded pretty ragged last time they had him on donations.

That was ZachSK, not Golden. Golden isn't doing any hosting this year.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Crain posted:

Yeah, With the exception of the obvious runs most of these guys, even the ones with good runs, seem really subdued this year. Everyone seems like they are trying way too hard to be professional.

I put the blame on Bonesaw not attending this year. That kid's an infinite well of hype and charm.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
just having a collectathon anti-hype run like Banjo Kazooie, then a collectathon race like DKR, then another loving race with Mario Kart Wii was a bad idea

the rest of the marathon has owned tho

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

RyokoTK posted:

Tune in for the Ninja Gaiden relay race, then.

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."
Watching F-Zero without music or commentary while some guy reads out an endless list of deceased grandmothers to that monotone engine hum is my idea of a good time.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yea i dont care what other people say, its ok to hear a personal donation story sometimes, but hearing constant "I lost my X to cancer, kick cancer's butt" is also kind of annoying

we've all lost someone to cancer or had someone affected by cancer, we get it its loving terrible

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Comrade Question posted:

Watching F-Zero without music or commentary while some guy reads out an endless list of deceased grandmothers to that monotone engine hum is my idea of a good time.

this sounds like a great idea for a modern art installation

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Crain posted:

Yeah. It seems that almost every bit of endearing silliness (costumes, goofing off, plushies cycled on a regular basis, the sassy monitor) has been replaced with dead air or awkwardly read Messages From Our Sponsors.

I don't think I've heard that Turtle Beach one read once without the commentator tripping over themselves. It's horribly written, admittedly.

Edit: They mute the setup phases too, even when the commentator isn't saying anything. I liked being able to hear what's going on.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 5, 2015

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

We cannot enjoy an overweight man in a Link costume, and chat monitor has been replaced with soulless ads.

Has AGDQ sold out :ohdear:

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
no but we could do with a bit more silliness

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!
To be fair, you're supposed to see at least one ad every single setup.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
AGDQ is trying to put me to sleep this year.

Did anything notable happen between Rystar and F-Zero block that I should go back and watch?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

F-Zero X is the coolest loving game

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Poultron posted:

To be fair, you're supposed to see at least one ad every single setup.

It'd be cool if they put donation incentives where the big block of sponsors logos are during every run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Jibo posted:

AGDQ is trying to put me to sleep this year.

Did anything notable happen between Rystar and F-Zero block that I should go back and watch?

I liked sonic heroes

• Locked thread