Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
...did you just imply Belkar was loving?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Poison Mushroom posted:

...press the button and watch it extend...

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Poison Mushroom posted:

I mean, technically he's in the top four for relationships in the party when you consider Durkon and V's disastrous love lives.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Humphrey Appleby posted:

Good taste in Sci-fi.

That's part of it, but at the same time he's admitted that it's literally because he was signing up for the Wizard of the Coast forums to school a bunch of people who were wrong about DnD.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Poison Mushroom posted:

Don't disparage the relationship between a halfling ranger and his cat.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

reignonyourparade posted:

That's part of it, but at the same time he's admitted that it's literally because he was signing up for the Wizard of the Coast forums to school a bunch of people who were wrong about DnD.

Official forums for anything are basically filled with sperging entitled manchildren though, they probably were all wrong about everything.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Zoe posted:

Official forums for anything are basically filled with sperging entitled manchildren though, they probably were all wrong about everything.

Yeah, we may not have made it out internet handle but everyone reading this thinks the same thing that Rich does of official forum posters.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Humphrey Appleby posted:

Good taste in Sci-fi.

:golfclap:

It is indeed. :smith:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Alchenar posted:

Yeah, we may not have made it out internet handle but everyone reading this thinks the same thing that Rich does of official forum posters.
Including his own, I suspect.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
And he was probably 14 or something, who doesn't have stupid user names from when they were 14?

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Colonial Air Force posted:

And he was probably 14 or something, who doesn't have stupid user names from when they were 14?

This is a fair point. I just remembered that back in the 90s I used to be :suicide101:Swyftdragon ...so, ugh, yeah, I've really got no room to laugh at anyone else here.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Kids these days use their real name. Thanks Facebook.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

thanks facebook

thacebook

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

ikanreed posted:

Yeah I feel really bad for preteens and young teens these days. I'm so happy that every embarrassing detail and photo of my teenaged years isn't carefully catalog for every friend, family member, and law enforcement to see forever.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Shwqa posted:

Yeah I feel really bad for preteens and young teens these days. I'm so happy that every embarrassing detail and photo of my teenaged years isn't carefully catalog for every friend, family member, and law enforcement to see forever.

Slightly more D&D-ish related (the forum, not he game) but I do kinda wonder when that sort of stigma goes away or if we're doomed to only have politicians raised by rich parents and private schooled with closely monitored internet service as to not screw up their chances for political ambition as an adult.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

e: ^^^^^ http://www.theonion.com/video/report-every-potential-2040-president-already-unel,27963/

ikanreed posted:

I'm going to name my first kid John Smith and gift him a voucher for a legal name change on his 18th birthday.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Raenir Salazar posted:

Slightly more D&D-ish related (the forum, not he game) but I do kinda wonder when that sort of stigma goes away or if we're doomed to only have politicians raised by rich parents and private schooled with closely monitored internet service as to not screw up their chances for political ambition as an adult.

I think the only other option is that the next generation of social media will become more focused on creating a transitory presence, automatically destroying information after a very short window and making it difficult to archive or search. I am a hopeless luddite but I think this is basically the model Snapchat has?

In which case you will get an age group of people who are screwed, while the people older than them didn't have a media platform to embarrass themselves on, and people younger than had ones designed to protect them from themselves.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My real name makes it virtually impossible to find me on any search engine. Facebook would be easier if it wasn't for privacy settings. Once I realized that, I suddenly became very thankful for the name that gets stupid jokes from everyone who sees it to this day.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Endless Mike posted:

My real name makes it virtually impossible to find me on any search engine. Facebook would be easier if it wasn't for privacy settings. Once I realized that, I suddenly became very thankful for the name that gets stupid jokes from everyone who sees it to this day.

Are you a former professional American football player?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Endless Mike posted:

is it mike ock

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Endless Mike posted:

Same for me. Anyone who tries to find me finds a famous author, instead.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Poison Mushroom posted:

Same for me. Anyone who tries to find me finds a famous author, instead.

I have met three other people with my same first and last name.

We were thinking of forming a club, until we realized how rough the voting for President would be.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cat Mattress posted:

Are you a former professional American football player?

...Maybe

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
More old comic in books reading. I dunno how far forward Rich had his plots planned, but man, if this isn't some drat good foreshadowing of the disasters to come.

In that if V reacts so badly to a harmless joke from a harmless teammate slash friend(?), how's s/he going to react in the midst of a legit crisis? Now we know: VERY BADLY. I don't know if V will ever be able to do anything to make up for Familicide.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

sfwarlock posted:

I have met three other people with my same first and last name.

We were thinking of forming a club, until we realized how rough the voting for President would be.

Just have your candidate run on his or her middle name!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Cornwind Evil posted:

More old comic in books reading. I dunno how far forward Rich had his plots planned, but man, if this isn't some drat good foreshadowing of the disasters to come.

In that if V reacts so badly to a harmless joke from a harmless teammate slash friend(?), how's s/he going to react in the midst of a legit crisis? Now we know: VERY BADLY. I don't know if V will ever be able to do anything to make up for Familicide.

The Deva's made it clear that actions can be offset by determination and intent. As long as V stays on the path to do Good because its the good thing to do she'll avoid Gehenna.

Likely narrative wise if this were a Faerun novel when V dies her spirit would likely be expected to continue, in the afterlife expected to travel the cosmos doing acts of good, possibly for eternity until at some point the Debt. Has. Been. Paid.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Meh. All she was actually trying to do was kill a bunch of evil dragons. Points for intent, even if she should have thought about it more carefully. But what with being severely sleep deprived, that sort of mistake is a lot more understandable too.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Colonel Cool posted:

Meh. All she was actually trying to do was kill a bunch of evil dragons. Points for intent, even if she should have thought about it more carefully. But what with being severely sleep deprived, that sort of mistake is a lot more understandable too.

blah blah fantasy nazis blah concentration camp blah orc children blah blargle blah o god i hope rich is ok

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Your party finds a goblin baby, do you kill the goblin baby?

Check one
Yes[ ]
No[ ]

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

SirDan3k posted:

Check one
Yes[X]
No[ ]

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

SirDan3k posted:

Check one
Yes[ ]
No[ ]

Detect evil :smugbert:

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

What level are we? I want to know if I'm giving up xp for sparing it first.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
It's a trick, the orc baby was Corellon Larethian and now you're going to elf hell.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Colonel Cool posted:

One can point to all sorts of 'reasons' as to what happened: V was saving hir family, s/he was sleep deprived, s/he was manipulated by fiends, desperate times = measures etc etc. That would cover the soul splice, killing the dragon, and tackling Xykon. But Familiacide wasn't good intent: that was V's overwhelming ego and insecurity merging with hir anger and rage and firing off something s/he barely understood and we all see where it led. If V had been able to control that, s/he would have killed the dragon, gathered the Order, and then tried to tackle Xykon.

Question while I'm here: is all we really know of Miko's backstory 'raised in a monastary, taken to be trained as a samurai paladin, ended up Lawful Stupid'? I'm back up to the New Years' part; do we ever learn more about how Miko was raised?

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Cornwind Evil posted:

do we ever learn more about how Miko was raised?

She doesn't get raised in the end, and I couldn't be happier for it.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Cavatica posted:

She doesn't get raised in the end, and I couldn't be happier for it.

At the risk of being on the receiving end of a :thejoke: post, I believe he's asking about the specifics of her upbringing at the monastery followed by her time training to become a paladin. :v:

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

W.T. Fits posted:

At the risk of being on the receiving end of a :thejoke: post, I believe he's asking about the specifics of her upbringing at the monastery followed by her time training to become a paladin. :v:

:thejoke:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

W.T. Fits posted:

Lol.

e: I think the whole backstory of that is in the gag where Roy and Miko have a fourth-wall-off in strip 209.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 9, 2015

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Cornwind Evil posted:

Question while I'm here: is all we really know of Miko's backstory 'raised in a monastary, taken to be trained as a samurai paladin, ended up Lawful Stupid'? I'm back up to the New Years' part; do we ever learn more about how Miko was raised?

Not really. In one of the books Rich elaborates slightly on his thinking behind her character - her flaw is that she believes she's the protagonist in a fantasy novel - but we don't really learn more than that, nor do we need to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
At the risk of having an Unpopular Opinion, I liked Miko. Sort of.

Okay put another way, I think at the very least there was some sort of potential for character development for Roy that was sadly never explored (At least not yet, but since it didn't come up in Heaven I'm not going to hold my breath.)

(And this is probably reading too much into things, BUT IT'S NOT LIKE THERE'S A NEW STRIP TO DI)

So we know from what happened later that when Miko first shows up, everyone back home hates her for her attitude. She's sent off on long missions, alone, just so they don't have to deal with her. I don't recall anything about anyone ever actually even attempting to reach out to her.

So what's Miko like when she meets the OOTS? I quickly went over the strips to gauge her expressions.

"Grumpy, grumpy, grumpy, annoyed, grumpy, grumpy, neutral, grumpy, grumpy, angry, grumpy, grumpy, grumpy, neutral, angry, grumpy, grumpy, confused, grumpy, angry..."

And so on (And no that isn't an exact panel by panel rundown, I'm not that :spergin: yet.)

And all this time, Roy is of course trying to get in her pants or whatever. He's certainly giving her a fairer chance than any of the other party members (He even says later that he went out of his way to accommodate her.)

There are only two times Miko's demeanor changes to something above neutral leading up to strip 250 (I think she might have grinned when destroying the Gate, dunno about anything else after 250 but I'm willing to risk assuming she largely remained sullen and angry until her demise.)

One, she has a bit of a grin on her face after the Ogres are destroyed by her bait and switch plan before quickly returning to annoyed at the insinuation that Roy thought she was being a moron. Two, when she thinks she has Belkar cornered right before the lawyers show up (Both cases involve her pride or duty as a Samurai/Paladin.)

And then in 250, right after Roy changes back from a woman and apologizes to her and admits to having had romantic feelings for her, she smiles. Not because of anything relating to her duty or mission. This seems to be the first (And only) time that she's actually opening up to another human being. It is the only time she seems to have any sort of genuine respect for anyone from something not related to what is required of her by station. For all we know it might have BEEN the only time, ever.

And then he immediately afterward verbally eviscerates her.

Talk about pulling defeat from the jaws of victory.

I can only imagine what was going on in her mind at the time. The first person who made any attempt to reach out to her outside of a professional capacity (Albeit for selfish motives) who actually tolerated her attitude long enough to successfully get her to open up follows this by immediately stabbing her in the gut and twisting the knife. His ensuing rant not only undid all of the progress he'd made, but probably made it unlikely that she would ever allow herself to get close to anyone ever again. Now you really have to wonder. If she'd stayed on good terms with Roy would she still have eventually come to distrust the entire OOTS? The Sapphire Guard? Would she still have had a mental breakdown? Would she have killed Shojo? Would she have destroyed the Gate?

Especially in light of what the Angel Clerk told him later about his snarky attitude, this seems like a missed opportunity. If OOTS were an actual game, then going to the trouble of "redeeming" Miko would have been the Secret Ending you only get if you collect all 108 Chaos Pokemon or whatever.

Was Roy under any obligation to continue to treat Miko like a princess given her attitude? No. I wouldn't dock points if this were a game. I'm not going to dispute that she was terrible to people. It was not Roy or anyone else's responsibility to "save" her from herself.

But it would have been the heroic thing. The one you persevere to do because you clearly have nothing better to do with your life than getting 200.6% completion. Roy did not answer the call.

But no one ever calls him out on this because even in the strip everyone dislikes Miko and based on what I remember hearing Rich saying about her I don't think we're supposed to sympathize with her at all, which is disappointing. Even if it was unintentional I still think it's there. Since Roy has worried about whether he's good enough of a hero, it seems like exactly the kind of thing someone should call him out on ("A REAL protagonist WOULD have gone the extra mile and saved Miko! You're getting the You loving Suck ending, Greenhilt!") Although based on the Oracle's prophecy for Elan, that still might happen for Roy anyway.