Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Vincent posted:

Miles Davis: I'm guessing Kind of Blue and Bitches Brew?

I can't think of any good reason not to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Vincent posted:

Here are a few that I have no idea where to start, so any help would be apreciated:

The Supremes
Miles Davis: I'm guessing Kind of Blue and Bitches Brew?
Fugazi

Miles has a whole bunch of different phases so it really depends on what you're looking for.
With Fugazi I second the suggestion of starting with 13 Songs and then probably going chronologically.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I'm gonna go against the grain and not suggest starting with 13 Songs. Instead just jump in with Repeater.

For The Supremes, Where Did Our Love Go has most of their best-known songs. You could also start with More Hits By The Supremes or I Hear a Symphony (which I personally think is their best album but doesn't necessarily have as many hits on it).

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Declan MacManus posted:

I'm gonna go against the grain and not suggest starting with 13 Songs. Instead just jump in with Repeater.

I'd agree with this. I'd also maybe suggest jumping up to In on the Kill Taker or Red Medicine next, just to really get a sense of how the band started to evolve. All of their albums are worth getting into eventually, though.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Thanks!

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Uriah Heep.

I like July Morning and Lady in Black, but their Spotify listings are a bit long.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Demons and Wizards is the standard choice.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

Demons and Wizards is the standard choice.

I second this.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Where do I start with Sonic Youth?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Schiavona posted:

Daydream Nation.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Daydream Nation is their opus and one of their more accessible albums. It's probably the best one to determine if they're a band for you. Goo, Sister and Dirty are also pretty digestible and good albums (although Dirty has a big disparity between its best and worst tracks).

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Schiavona posted:

Alternate answer is to go backwards through their studio albums because as they went on thier albums became more and more accessible

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Daydream Nation, like others have said. There isn't a better starting point. After that if you want more experimental go backwards to Sister or Evol, if you want something more accessible jump up a decade or so to Murray Street or Sonic Nurse. I'm going to quote something I posted in here a few years ago about where to go AFTER Daydream Nation - I stand by most of it (ignore Rather Ripped for now).

Voodoofly posted:

I think most would say you started correctly with Daydream Nation. After that, I think there are multiple ways to go.

I'm fond of referring people to 2002(?)'s Murray Street as the second stop, especially if you want something "cleaner" sounding but still retaining the long, spacy song structure of some of the Daydream Nation songs. "Rain on Tin" is about as close to someone recapturing Television's "Marquee Moon" as I've heard, and really I don't know of any SY album that has a stronger opening three songs than Murray Street ("Karen Revisited," the fourth song, is one I love, but it will divide most fans). I think if you enjoyed "Candle" from Daydream, this is a good second choice. If you enjoy Murray Street, Sonic Nurse is fairly similar (and I think there is a decent debate as to which is a better album), and don't be afraid to go with Sonic Nurse if you can't find Murray Street.

If you liked the harder, more erratic songs, its hard not to say stepping back to Sister. However, considering you are on the fence about Daydream, I don't know if Sister is the proper next step. However, Dirty, despite being a very divisive album in their catalogue, might be another good place to go. It was their "grunge" album (according to critics), and has many shorter, harder rock songs. I think "Silver Rocket" or "Hey Joni" might be the best examples of what you will here on Dirty, although they are by no means perfect examples of Dirty. If you want to sample Dirty, I'd say "100%" or "Sugar Cane" are two of the better pick up and hear songs, while "Wish Fulfillment" is my favorite from that album.

A couple of my friends got into SY over the last couple years from their 2006(?) album Rather Ripped. Best description I can give is that it is like Daydream Nation made into shorter pop songs (at least as far as SY does pop songs). "Incinerate" was pretty big off that album, and would be a good sample if you want to hear something - "Do You Believe in Rapture" is also probably a decent song to sample. Rather Ripped also has "Pink Steam" which is my favorite SY song of the decade.

The truth is there are many places to go with SY - if you said your favorite songs off Daydream, it might give some help. Also, I think most people will say that SY albums grow on you, and take some time to get into, so if you are a little iffy, it might just take a little more time.

Hope that helps.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
About Sonic Youth... It depends on what you like. Daydream Nation, while a better album, isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Dirty. That's the album I'd recommend.

It's the third style Sonic Youth went with in their career, this time playing rock music with pop structures. They're pretty good at it.

My favorite Sonic Youth album is the Confusion Is Sex & Kill Yr Idols CD. But nobody else likes those grinding, noisy and evil sounding records.

God Of Paradise fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Nov 18, 2014

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Schiavona posted:

go from daydream nation, to sister, to EVOL and then probably don't listen to anything else because they never did better than those three albums and it's pretty much all you need to hear

Zooey Dave Chapelle
Oct 27, 2013

ThePutty posted:

go from daydream nation, to sister, to EVOL and then probably don't listen to anything else because they never did better than those three albums and it's pretty much all you need to hear

Goo is pretty great too tho.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Washing Machine and Sonic Nurse are also good, I think it's a bad idea to discourage someone who has no preconceived notions about an album

Also Experimental Jet Set Trash and No Star and Dirty are worth listening to

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

pricklypie posted:

Goo is pretty great too tho.

alright, listen to the 90s stuff as well if you really really like the 80s albums

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Yeah so since I first posted I listened to all of Daydream Nation a few times and it's rad and I'm gonna keep listening to Sonic Youth. My first exposure to the band was Bull in the Heather which I thought was awesome, so it's cool hearing a pretty drastically different sound from them.

Basically, thanks, thread.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
If you're down for the ride, start now with Bad Moon Rising and go forward.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Been listening to a lot of Octane and Alt Nation on XM for a while and curious about picking some of the albums of some of the girl rockers they play on the two channels. What are the recommended ablums for Halestorm, Metric, and Jenny Lewis. Also while not played on them anymore, how about Garbage?

Rirse fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 4, 2015

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

For Garbage, I'd say start at the beginning and go chronologically.

Edit: They also have a best-of collection that looks like a very reasonable alternative to the individual albums.

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jan 3, 2015

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Start with Old World Underground, Where Are You Now?, jump to Fantasies, then fill in the gaps with the other three (?) records.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Rirse posted:

Been listening to a lot of Octane and Alt Nation on XM for a while and curious about picking some of the albums of some of the girl rockers they play on the two channels. What are the recommended ablums for Halestorm, Pretty Reckless, Metric, and Jenny Lewis. Also while not played on them anymore, how about Garbage?

For Jenny Lewis, you might start with her record with Rilo Kiley, Execution of All Things. It's arguably more "indie rock" than her solo stuff but a nice starting point regardless.

Also, if you find yourself wanting more of that early Garbage sound take a left turn and look at Curve's discography.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 3, 2015

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

hatelull posted:

For Jenny Lewis, you might start with her record with Rilo Kiley, /[The Execution of All Things]/. It's arguably more "indie rock" than her solo stuff but a nice starting point regardless.

Her new solo album is fantastic though and everyone should listen to it. Agreed that Execution of all Things is the best place to start either Rilo Kiley stuff.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I really liked Nuclear, didn't like the rest of that album, where should I start with Mike Oldfield?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

DisDisDis posted:

I really liked Nuclear, didn't like the rest of that album, where should I start with Mike Oldfield?
If you didn't like the rest of that album, you're probably not going to like Mike Oldfield.

Try Tubular Bells.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Schiavona posted:

daydream nation
murray st.
smoke more weed
stop listening to sonic youth
start listening to gastr del sol
come back to sonic youth 7 years later

works alright

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

DisDisDis posted:

Tubular Bells is definitely his 'classic' disc but I'll be honest, I have his first 7 albums (up to Five Miles Out) and Tubular Bells is probably the one I like the least.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

JAMOOOL posted:

Tubular Bells is definitely his 'classic' disc but I'll be honest, I have his first 7 albums (up to Five Miles Out) and Tubular Bells is probably the one I like the least.

For some reason I thought Nuclear was on Crises, so my line of reasoning should be ignored anyway.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Can anyone recommend any hip-hop based around industrial or noise backing tracks? My rap knowledge comes to an abrupt halt in 1995.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

After The War posted:

Can anyone recommend any hip-hop based around industrial or noise backing tracks? My rap knowledge comes to an abrupt halt in 1995.

dälek jumps out right away, also clipping but clipping is really bad

Sleepstupid
Feb 23, 2009

After The War posted:

Death Grips?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Htl3XWUhUOM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWzJhkrZm5Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sticXkHxZC4

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Where do I start with Neurosis and Dead Can Dance?

And I love In Flames but really have no experience beyond them when it comes to death metal. Who else should I check out? I'm more fond of the more melodic, less growly stuff.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

MockingQuantum posted:

death metal. Who else should I check out? I'm more fond of the more melodic, less growly stuff.

Darkthrone? I dunno. I can't think of much of anything that doesn't growl. That's kind of the point.

Also, clearly you're not listening to enough early In Flames if you think they're less growly.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MockingQuantum posted:

Where do I start with Neurosis and Dead Can Dance?
And I love In Flames but really have no experience beyond them when it comes to death metal. Who else should I check out? I'm more fond of the more melodic, less growly stuff.
For Neurosis, Souls at Zero and Through Silver and Blood.

For death metal, try some of these:
Carcass - Heartwork
At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul
Death - Symbolic
In Mourning - Shrouded Divine
Atheist - Unquestionable Presence

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Allen Wren posted:

Darkthrone? I dunno. I can't think of much of anything that doesn't growl. That's kind of the point.

Also, clearly you're not listening to enough early In Flames if you think they're less growly.

Fair enough. I dont know what I meant, I guess, so ignore that. I do prefer melodic stuff though, for what that's worth in terms of recommendations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

In Flames was playing what's often known as melodic death metal or Gothenburg metal, and it's not entirely clear that that's the same as death metal in general. The other big bands in that scene were Dark Tranquility and At the Gates, and there are a bunch of others who aren't quite as memorable.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

In Flames was playing what's often known as melodic death metal or Gothenburg metal, and it's not entirely clear that that's the same as death metal in general. The other big bands in that scene were Dark Tranquility and At the Gates, and there are a bunch of others who aren't quite as memorable.

Cool, I'll check out those two at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Allen Wren posted:

Darkthone are black metal(unless you mean their first album, but I'm guessing not) and don't sound anything like In Flames so that's not a very good recommendation.

MockingQuantum posted:

Some of the earlier melodic death that borders on black metal from before the gothenburg sound was really codified might be to your liking, the vocals are still harsh but generally not as low and growly as some death metal. Like Unanimated or Gates of Ishtar.