Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Flaming Cliffs 3 is around, which is the closet to what you're talking about. But yea. Novalogic pumped out a ton of those semi-hardcore sims. They were great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

B4Ctom1 posted:

They won't loving stop building M1's, preferring to park them in rows in the desert. I agree, give them something useful like an M1 chassis APC to build. Put a Bushy on top of it for good measure.

You could probably build a pretty badass urban warfare turret for the M1 ala the Russian BMPT. Couple autocannons, a RWS with a .50 and Mk19, maybe a few recoil-less rifles on the side of the turret for fun poo poo like canister rounds.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

http://youtu.be/NE3Yg6RAb3I?t=9s

:colbert:

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Back Hack posted:

The new AMPV is a Bradley :ssh: and the Bradley is an up-scaled M113 with a turret.:ssh:

The ones I saw did not have that thick tiled reactive armor (or whatever that is on the vehicles I looked up).

Just a maybe 1"+ superfluous plate with a million rivets or bolts holding it on.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

B4Ctom1 posted:

The ones I saw did not have that thick tiled reactive armor (or whatever that is on the vehicles I looked up).

Just a maybe 1"+ superfluous plate with a million rivets or bolts holding it on.

It's pretty likely you saw either them or the 109A7 hulls without all that ERA poo poo, which makes sense while in transport. Either that or 113A3s which look similar enough at a glance. If your confused about the BAE part, it's only that BAE is the parent company now, they bought whoever made the Bradley's originally, just like how General Dynamics makes the Abrams when it was originally a Crysler Defense tank IIRC.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
Don't the MRAPs also put a good deal of stress on the roads themselves?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Polikarpov posted:

You could probably build a pretty badass urban warfare turret for the M1 ala the Russian BMPT. Couple autocannons, a RWS with a .50 and Mk19, maybe a few recoil-less rifles on the side of the turret for fun poo poo like canister rounds.

Do they make a quad mount .50BMG gatling gun? Because they should. :getin:

E: We will have a bunch of surplus GAU-8s once we retire the A-10, that would be an acceptable alternative.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Polikarpov posted:

bitcoin bastard posted:

E: We will have a bunch of surplus GAU-8s once we retire the A-10, that would be an acceptable alternative.

Sractch all of that, and just drop in the 76mm Super Rapid like the Otomatic. The GAU-8 is a good alternative but that fucker is big, then again the Goalkeeper already exists soooo

http://youtu.be/RCd_X7lh_AQ

Mazz fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 5, 2015

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

bewbies posted:

The army kept around 30% vehicles it bought with MRAP money fully active and put half of them in storage, only the remaining ~20% were disposed of or given to civilian law enforcement. I don't know what the USMC did.

Giving these things to police is stupid and reckless and bad and I hate it.

That's not so bad really. I figured it was worse when I saw the Orange County Sherrif's with one, that thing was scary as gently caress to drive next to.

Then again, Newburgh...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L-Ipgl4ixc

:colbert:

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 5, 2015

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

bitcoin bastard posted:

Funny you mention that, the GAU-19 just came out. :v::fh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtBhA8QPArE
http://youtu.be/X1VMHQzwDwc

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 5, 2015

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Thomamelas posted:

Don't the MRAPs also put a good deal of stress on the roads themselves?

This would be one of the reasons why a non-zero portion of the MRAPs we bought for Iraq were way less than optimal for use in Afghanistan.

Also why the Army tried MRAPs in Korea for about 2 minutes and then said nooooooooooope.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I want to buy an MRAP.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Hubis posted:

Guys I think I know what to do with all those perfectly good A-10s we are just going to waste

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the-a-10-warthog-will-soon-be-chasing-tornados-attack-1613591600

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Damnit, I'm trying to find a video I saw a while back. It was a montage of older ('60s - early '80s) Soviet military hardware (mostly planes and stuff) but it was set to this really catchy music.

I remember it was like 10 or 15 minutes long.

Anyone know which video I'm talking about? I know that's incredibly vague :(

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

dat camo :swoon:

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

Polikarpov posted:

Until the Air Force comes along and lights your rear end up because they can't tell the difference between you and the other side's old Pact gear

Mazz posted:

It's pretty likely you saw either them or the 109A7 hulls without all that ERA poo poo, which makes sense while in transport. Either that or 113A3s which look similar enough at a glance. If your confused about the BAE part, it's only that BAE is the parent company now, they bought whoever made the Bradley's originally, just like how General Dynamics makes the Abrams when it was originally a Crysler Defense tank IIRC.
General Dynamics bought Chrysler Defense in 1982, the original two prototype Abrams were built by Chrysler and General Motors in 1976.

KingPave
Jul 18, 2007
eeee!~

Outside Dawg posted:

Until the Air Force comes along and lights your rear end up because they can't tell the difference between you and the other side's old Pact gear

What if you put up a sign in 50 different languages saying "Not a tank"?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Outside Dawg posted:

Put some orange rockets on top?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

KingPave posted:

Nah man just put a big Canadian Flag on i- oh wait :smith:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

KingPave posted:

also missile hats should be a thing

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

movax posted:

If police departments were dipshit-free / competently run, I wouldn't have as much of a problem with it, but we all know that isn't the case. I can see LAPD, NYPD and other large police departments getting them, I'm mildly terrified when some tiny as gently caress town in Texas gets them to play with.

there are plenty of rural areas with long flat sections and quarter mile long drive ways that would make having an armored vehicle useful. I can think of at least 5 instances in my bumfuck rural area in the last few years that we had people who made threats with a gun and lived on an acreage that it would have been nice to have somethin other than a crown vic or going on foot to the house. And come on NYPD and LAPD are about the most corrupt police departments in the nation, why do they get free army toys.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

At 2000 RPM that makes a three second burst cost approximately $300 on today's ammo market

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Branis posted:

there are plenty of rural areas with long flat sections and quarter mile long drive ways that would make having an armored vehicle useful. I can think of at least 5 instances in my bumfuck rural area in the last few years that we had people who made threats with a gun and lived on an acreage that it would have been nice to have somethin other than a crown vic or going on foot to the house.

In how many of those were, you know, an officer injured?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Branis posted:

there are plenty of rural areas with long flat sections and quarter mile long drive ways that would make having an armored vehicle useful. I can think of at least 5 instances in my bumfuck rural area in the last few years that we had people who made threats with a gun and lived on an acreage that it would have been nice to have somethin other than a crown vic or going on foot to the house. And come on NYPD and LAPD are about the most corrupt police departments in the nation, why do they get free army toys.

I'm not a cop or anything but this sounds like the perfect time to secure a perimeter and call in the federales like Waco

they have tanks and know how to use them

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

No but don't you see I am their Delta Force

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

VikingSkull posted:

I'm not a cop or anything but this sounds like the perfect time to secure a perimeter and call in the federales like Waco

they have tanks and know how to use them

Well A-10's are going out of service soon. Seems like the perfect argument for a police handout.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

There is a bear in the water: http://foreignpolicy.com/2015/01/05/led-zeppelin-comes-to-washington-russia-nukes-putin-arms-control/

quote:

In February 2012, the head of the Russian Navy, Vladimir Vysotsky, indicated that starting around June 1 of that year, Russia would “resume constant patrolling of the world’s oceans by strategic nuclear submarines.” Like everyone else, I thought Vysotsky was referring to Russia’s fleet of massive ballistic missile submarines, known as “boomers.” Then a funny thing happened.

In 2012, according to the Office of Naval Intelligence and FOIA’ed by researcher Hans Kristensen, Russia’s fleet conducted only five deterrent patrols. Kristensen concluded it was unlikely that Russia had maintained a constant at-sea presence in 2012 using only its boomers.

Then, in August and November 2012, stories emerged about Russian attack submarines patrolling along the East Coast. The Wall Street Journal reported in August 2012 that two Russian attack submarines were detected off the East Coast. In November, U.S. defense officials told CNN and other media outlets that another Russian submarine had sailed within 300 miles of the East Coast the month before.

[...]

And, this July, confirmation came from the horse’s mouth: Russian Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin was paraphrased stating that Russia’s new Yasen-class attack submarines would help “create a reliable nuclear shield against any threat.” Well, I am not sure which end of the horse Rogozin is, but here’s the point: The Russians are deploying nuclear-armed SLCMs on attack submarines, as well as ballistic missile submarines, as part of their strategic deterrent against the United States. This is a bit unexpected.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

You guys mentioned some sims yesterday and Gunship 2000 came up. Man I loved that game when I was little.

https://archive.org/details/msdos_Gunship_2000_CD-ROM_Edition_1993

Lots more DOS games too: https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos_games/v2

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Smart, desperate, crazy? A little of all three? I'm not well versed enough to know.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
The fact I could never get Janes USAF to work on anything past Win XP was heartbreaking.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 6, 2015

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Smart, desperate, crazy? A little of all three? I'm not well versed enough to know.

Russian.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Everytime I read about the Russian submarine forces actually doing something I can't help but think "Is this just an advertisement for selling more subs to various Asian countries?"

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

there's a treaty preventing this isn't there

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

There could have been if the US hadn't pushed back on it. HEH

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Russia's not obeying the nuclear treaties anyway so who cares?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

evil_bunnY posted:

There could have been if the US hadn't pushed back on it. HEH

that's hilarious

dust off a shuttle and tell Putin it may or may not be armed :tinfoil:

e- oh wait the NSO and CIA already have one of those huh

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

VikingSkull posted:

there's a treaty preventing this isn't there

There's the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty, but I don't think that applies to submarine-launched weapons. We're still putting Tomahawks on submarines. Without reading the actual treaty text I couldn't say if the flavor of warhead matters.

Plus, as others have said, Russia has been playing fast and loose with the treaty in recent years, because they don't like the ABM site we built in Europe after pulling out of that treaty.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

That Works posted:

You guys mentioned some sims yesterday and Gunship 2000 came up. Man I loved that game when I was little.

https://archive.org/details/msdos_Gunship_2000_CD-ROM_Edition_1993

Yeah, I played a ton of Gunship 2K when I was a kid. The Antarctic expansion was kind of bullshit though.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

VikingSkull posted:

that's hilarious

dust off a shuttle and tell Putin it may or may not be armed :tinfoil:

e- oh wait the NSO and CIA already have one of those huh

The Air Force does too, and nobody knows what the gently caress it does for 9 months at a time while In orbit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Mazz posted:

The Air Force does too, and nobody knows what the gently caress it does for 9 months at a time while In orbit.

Yeah, that's what I was talking about

There's no way that thing ain't armed lol