Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Dude getting pumped about those drums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I just noticed that Rasputin guy in the back and I feel like I'm watcing Too Many Cooks.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

So I;m wondering something. Do they not put the donations that come in with no incentive instructions towards one of the unmet incentives? Why wouldn't they

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Voted Worst Mom posted:

Quick time to go on a tangent about how the donation stories are fake again!

was this a thing.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Crain posted:

The planning and set up needs to be professionally done, the content needs to be entertaining though. I agree that they've reached the point where the event cannot be run in the same informal fashion it has traditionally be run in. The problem is they've chosen the wrong areas to try and force that professionalism on. This isn't a 7th grade talent show where everything needs to be rigidly structured and controlled to avoid someone making GBS threads their pants or biting someone (all jokes about autists aside). Most of these people have proven that they can be fun, funny, and engaging. Trying to lock what they can do just ruins the entertainment value, which ruins your potential revenue.

The event has had issues with (luckily mostly behind-the-scenes) drunken behavior and harassment, and runners have had a problem with unrelated plushies and cosplay overshadowing their run, and even unrelated people micing themselves and sitting down on the couch. I don't know how restricted the runners and couch are as far as how they can behave, but needing plushies/cosplay to be okayed by the runner is a reasonable solution to some of the problems they've had in the past. Communication is always an issue though and some things that the runner may be fine with won't be allowed just because of that, and it's unfortunate.
There are nine hundred people there and getting a balance between spontaneity and professionalism is actually really hard for that number of people.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Mr E posted:

was this a thing.

a lot of people donated in a short period where their whole familes died within the last hour or so i guess

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Ramadu posted:

So I;m wondering something. Do they not put the donations that come in with no incentive instructions towards one of the unmet incentives? Why wouldn't they
The incentives are there to drive donations up, not because that money is somehow required to do the incentive. If you just funneled unmarked donations into the Death Race, there wouldn't have been extra, panicked last minute donations trying to meet it.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Mr E posted:

was this a thing.

Synastren posted:

I'm not at all against people donating because they have a personal stake in the cause; that's great and fine and fantastic. My concern is what was alluded to about people lying about losses in order to get their 20 seconds of internet fame, and the surprising number of people who have suffered losses in the last month week moments before or so that have been read on stream. And from a production standpoint, it's incredibly jarring to go from "Someone I love very much died from cancer, and it was a grievous loss" to some silly and happy video game, with no way to transition from one to the other.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
to be fair to those guys, i go to another message board where they do come up with fake donation stories and have for multiple GDQs

there is even the notable example this time of someone donating at SamSVG donating to Stiv, the guy who hosed Sam's wife at SGDQ which is obviously fake

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Oh

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

people can fake whatever the gently caress they want as long as the donations are real

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I think what I meant to post was WHO CARES IF THE STORIES ARE REAL OR NOT

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Eonwe posted:

to be fair to those guys, i go to another message board where they do come up with fake donation stories and have for multiple GDQs

there is even the notable example this time of someone donating at SamSVG donating to Stiv, the guy who hosed Sam's wife at SGDQ which is obviously fake

The second one is trolling and it is supposed to be obviously fake. The first thing explains a lot.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Yeah I don't care if your donation message is about how cancer slayed your entire family yesterday or if it's just ULTRAJMAN MOMMASLAPZ that you get the donation reader to accidentally say out loud, just give money to charity.

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."
Are we doing that thing now where we reassure ourselves that nobody here is secretely rooting for cancer?

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Comrade Question posted:

Are we doing that thing now where we reassure ourselves that nobody here is secretely rooting for cancer?

We've come full circle again, waiting for the "charity takes to much" post.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Geight posted:

Yeah I don't care if your donation message is about how cancer slayed your entire family yesterday or if it's just ULTRAJMAN MOMMASLAPZ that you get the donation reader to accidentally say out loud, just give money to charity.

This. If you're actually genuinely concerned that people might be giving money to charity for ulterior motives, you should probably calm the gently caress down and seek professional help. Most of my donations don't even have comments on them. (And the ones that do can mostly be blamed on the 2013 GDQs where we didn't have the selector pulldown and had to specify goals in the comment.)

Don't worry, we will almost certainly repeat this derail (and the "omg American charities take a lot of cash to run" derail) at least 4 or 5 more times this week.

On a lighter note, I'm actually enjoying this X run as it goes on. I wish I could donate to get Naegleria a better haircut, though.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Comrade Question posted:

Aren't they marathon-ing to prevent the Cancer Foundation? :confused:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yea it doesn't really matter if they are coming up with fake stories, but it does happen

but still, i do wish there were less 'i lost my X to cancer' donation readings, or maybe done in between setups or something

its kind of weird hearing 'my mom died to cancer' while kazooie is making that weird sound over and over

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I seem to remember people bitching about "ughhhh there's no energy this isn't any fun like last time :rolleyes:" last AGDQ and SGDQ, come to think of it.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

theultimo posted:

We've come full circle again,

Eonwe posted:

yea it doesn't really matter if they are coming up with fake stories, but it does happen

but still, i do wish there were less 'i lost my X to cancer' donation readings, or maybe done in between setups or something

its kind of weird hearing 'my mom died to cancer' while kazooie is making that weird sound over and over

I'm really stoked to see what happens in F-Zero GX, though. That game was crazy to play through normally. :allears:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Comrade Question posted:

I definitely was during DoctorWhat's hysterical meltdown about the sanctity of sonic the hedgehog runs this morning

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

parasyte posted:

The event has had issues with (luckily mostly behind-the-scenes) drunken behavior and harassment

That needs to be dealt with, but from what I gather most of that is off stream and in the runners private rooms/room parties. That's a separate issue from what's occurring on stream though. I don't really know what you can do to police that though.

quote:

and runners have had a problem with unrelated plushies and cosplay overshadowing their run

This is also something that can be difficult to deal with, and to a degree I have to say: Who cares? Look at these runs today and yesterday. Various things through out this years events have overshadowed runs completely unintentionally. loving Bulk and Skull and the dumb rear end holding bananas during DKR commanded more attention than the respective runs they were present in if this thread is anything to go by. You know why runners get overshadowed? They get overshadowed by being boring as gently caress. People want to be entertained so if they're watching and the main focus is boring they're either going to turn off the stream, which you don't want as a marathon event, or find something else to be entertained by. However letting runners decide who they want around is important as well.

quote:

even unrelated people micing themselves and sitting down on the couch.

This is a security issue and is one of the areas that they have improved on it seems. There have been a few times where it looks like rando fucks have sat down on the couch (Bulk and Skull again). But they have gotten better about making sure the wrong people don't show up.

quote:

I don't know how restricted the runners and couch are as far as how they can behave, but needing plushies/cosplay to be okayed by the runner is a reasonable solution to some of the problems they've had in the past. Communication is always an issue though and some things that the runner may be fine with won't be allowed just because of that, and it's unfortunate.

Agreed.

quote:

There are nine hundred people there and getting a balance between spontaneity and professionalism is actually really hard for that number of people.

While it's difficult there are a lot of things they could be doing right now to make the stream more entertaining. It all comes down to planing and right now it seems they chose the wrong areas to plan or at least planned them the wrong way.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I'm not looking forward to seeing that PS4, awful hat, twitch swag, and banners for the next few days. This AGDQ is boring and neutered. No personality. Nothing potentially offensive. No audience. Kind of disappointed. Still runs I am excited to see though.

The Yetee doesn't even have a Serious Time shirt. There's a cool Dracula one though.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

RyokoTK posted:

I seem to remember people bitching about "ughhhh there's no energy this isn't any fun like last time :rolleyes:" last AGDQ and SGDQ, come to think of it.

There was definitely a lot of people complaining about the MGR:R run being unhype or something.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

RyokoTK posted:

True, but the difference here this year is the tone. Last year still had the feel of the previous ones, this feels too corporate so to speak.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

RyokoTK posted:

I await YSG's return

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Voted Worst Mom posted:

I await YSG's return

He was there early yesterday. The Savior will return.

ed: How the gently caress did they get twitch to donate 100% of the subscription income?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I bet there's not even going to be any adultery this year.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

President Ark posted:

There was definitely a lot of people complaining about the MGR:R run being unhype or something.

It was more "how dare Flicky make fun of Metal Gear Rising", IIRC. I'm very sad that doesn't seem to be on the schedule this year, I love that rear end in a top hat.

theultimo posted:

True, but the difference here this year is the tone. Last year still had the feel of the previous ones, this feels too corporate so to speak.

How?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Heran Bago posted:

I'm not looking forward to seeing that PS4, awful hat, twitch swag, and banners for the next few days. This AGDQ is boring and neutered. No personality. Nothing potentially offensive. No audience. Kind of disappointed. Still runs I am excited to see though.

The Yetee doesn't even have a Serious Time shirt. There's a cool Dracula one though.

Serious Time shirt not coming back is the best thing that could happen to nerd fashion. I love those shirts but having two dark-blue shirts with similar green designs on them is enough. Dracula shirt rules because of the fun design -and- it's a neat shade of orange.

Nerd shirts are too often video game reference on black/dark-blue, so this agdq shirt lineup is actually pretty decent in terms of giving you color choice.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

You guys have taken into consideration that it's barely been over 24 hours since it started though, right

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

This needs to be quoted more.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Synastren posted:

He was there early yesterday. The Savior will return.

ed: How the gently caress did they get twitch to donate 100% of the subscription income?

They probably went to Twitch and said, hey, we had a hundred thousand viewers donate a million bucks to our charity, how about you hook us up a bit?

Twitch is notoriously dumb but not that dumb.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
1st day has been kind of boring at all the GDQs tbh

the only thing that will keep some magic from happening that would have happened at last GDQs is them making sure the 'wrong' people don't get on the couch

we aren't going to have a chibi/caveman level of encounter this year and thats ok even if its kinda sad

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

They seem to have more "official" sponsors this year than past years. Correct me if I'm wrong but this year they got some serious starting funds from various sponsors instead of just large donations over the course of the event. That start up money comes with riders and stipulations. Add into that the new Twitch rules (which really haven't come up but whatever) it seems that the organizers are playing it really safe in case they run into something that could cost them.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

I imagine having the donation reader sometimes rattling off the sponsors more than the donations at times. Few, far between and definitely not happening right now.

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

I think they're actively trying to avoid dumb poo poo like the awkward Tomba guy, but the dumb poo poo was a big part of the appeal to me. The separate mini-audience and organised rotation of people in it and on the couch kills it a bit.
Weird nerds sitting in the same seat for 5 days and slipping onto the couch and grabbing a mic while nobody was looking was kind of nice. Sometimes the weirdos were awful (Which was great) and sometimes the weirdos were actually intentionally entertaining.

Whatever, I'm still watching and donating.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Crain posted:

They seem to have more "official" sponsors this year than past years. Correct me if I'm wrong but this year they got some serious starting funds from various sponsors instead of just large donations over the course of the event. That start up money comes with riders and stipulations. Add into that the new Twitch rules (which really haven't come up but whatever) it seems that the organizers are playing it really safe in case they run into something that could cost them.

If it means that more money is going to cancer research then I'm all for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Naegleria just can't stop breaking mics.

• Locked thread