Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Ague Proof posted:

Hasn't he said that he told his wife to burn his manuscripts and notes if he dies before finishing the books? He didn't seem like he was joking.

It seems kind of weird to ask that the work that you've spent years working on and which will be your legacy be destroyed but he probably thinks of it as his baby and also gently caress his fans. Kafka, Virgil, Nabokov and surely countless other writers who we've never heard of have made the same request.

so we have to kill his wife, then him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I can understand someone not wanting their name on something not up to their standards, posthumous publishing of notes often turns out poorly. Personally I wouldn't care because I'd be dead though.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I can believe that claim because he's pretty full of himself given the whole "American Tolkien"(:lol:) label he's gotten from other people all because he wrote a series that's heavily based on an existing source.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Ague Proof posted:

Kafka, Virgil, Nabokov and surely countless other writersspiteful assholes who we've never heard of have made the same request.

FTFY

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

I can believe that claim because he's pretty full of himself given the whole "American Tolkien"(:lol:) label he's gotten from other people all because he wrote a series that's heavily based on an existing source.

Robin Hobb?

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yeah but the real Tolkien let his kid dedicate his life to releasing his notes.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Coming soon - Middle Earth: Milk, Sugar, Pipe Tobacco, Mycil.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

rejutka posted:

Coming soon - Middle Earth: Milk, Sugar, Pipe Tobacco, Mycil.

The Wit and Wisdom of Bombur.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

Ague Proof posted:

The Wit and Wisdom of Bombur.

"Eat more cheese."

The End

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

AtAt-de-fay posted:

Robin Hobb?

I still haven't gotten around to reading her stuff, so IDK.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

It is late in the night, and the sussurrus of battle wafts in through the open windows of GRRM's besieged Santa Fe estate.

"Tymaru," GRRM whispers from his kneeling position upon a vast silk carpet.

Tymaru comes to the older man's side and takes a knee. "Yes, my Lord?"

GRRM holds his wakizashi steady, the chisel tip resting gently upon his engorged stomach. "Ty, don't let them come in."

"Yes, my Lord."

As life flees the GRRM's eyes, Tymaru walks the halls of the estate, touching his lit torch to timbers and rice paper walls. No one will shame his Lord in death by finding his notes and half-completed manuscripts.

The clock strikes twelve.

The pueblo trembles beneath Ty's feet.

Deep in the basement, a computer, holding every illegal download of the Fatman bursts, and burns..

Mr. Martin's priceless collection of nude porcelain dolls shatters, musically..

Empty Pizza boxes fly apart like broken deadlines

The central room of GRRM Manor shudders as if alive

Then the oily pizza boxes catch fire in a FLASH bright as the sun

The world turns ruby red. The scrawlings on the Boxes..

All that is left of his writings, rise madly into the sky, riding a pillar of flame.

A jolt travels the length of Ty's spine. Of course, he thinks, as his head goes light.

What an absolute fucker.

kcroy fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 4, 2015

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
speaking of burning notes. this hasn't been posted in a while

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G6QyXl6d2M

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

kcroy posted:

speaking of burning notes. this hasn't been posted in a while

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G6QyXl6d2M

p good

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

A good few elements from Hobb's Assassin series are present in ASOIAF. She has a Varys, the ironborn, stone dragons, etc. Even the fate of one mopey dope Stark was presaged by Hobb.

Bad authors plagiarize, The American Tollking rips off his buddies.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

AtAt-de-fay posted:

A good few elements from Hobb's Assassin series are present in ASOIAF. She has a Varys, the ironborn, stone dragons, etc. Even the fate of one mopey dope Stark was presaged by Hobb.

Bad authors plagiarize, The American Tollking rips off his buddies.

Talent Borrows

Genius Steals

Twincest Wins

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama
I retract my earlier theory that the series is finished and he is milking it for all its worth.

GRRM was told by a wandering gypsy that his life would end as soon as he ended the series.

In the meantime, he can eat whatever he wants, be a Comicon creeper, go on talk shows, watch football, run a movie theater, and masturbate to all of his frustrated fans' constant online bitching.

Its good to be the GRRM.

Its also hilarious that he pronounces GRRM "grim" rather than the more appropriate GURM.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Gimmedaroot posted:

I retract my earlier theory that the series is finished and he is milking it for all its worth.

GRRM was told by a wandering gypsy that his life would end as soon as he ended the series.

In the meantime, he can eat whatever he wants, be a Comicon creeper, go on talk shows, watch football, run a movie theater, and masturbate to all of his frustrated fans' constant online bitching.

Its good to be the GRRM.

Its also hilarious that he pronounces GRRM "grim" rather than the more appropriate GURM.

Jokes on him, prophecy is never what it seems. HBO series finale ends and GRRM dies at the watch party he will be hosting in his movie theater.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I think it's far too much of a stretch to make any comparison between Hobb's Elderling novels and ASOIAF beyond "They are both fantasy books".

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

mossyfisk posted:

I think it's far too much of a stretch to make any comparison between Hobb's Elderling novels and ASOIAF beyond "They are both fantasy books".

Lemme limber up. (Farseer spoilers ahead)

There's Chade, the mysterious man in service to the king. Spy. Assassin. Sneaky-secret-passage-lurker who gleans secrets from his hidey holes. Master of disguise!
Fitz. He wargs. Warging is bad in this realm. He's a protagonist. And he gets killed. But escapes being killed dead by warging.
And there's a group of viking archetypes ravaging the realm called the Red Raiders.
Dragons born from stone at great cost.

There's probably more. Been a long time since I've read either series. But I repeat myself.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
There is also the thing where fitz is the bastard of a high noble and his only public lapse of honor. And also the prophetic fool.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I'm pretty sure having a spymaster, bad magic, and pirates is all fair game in the fantasy genre.

And "carving dragons out of stone and using magic to put people's souls into it" it pretty far away from "dragon eggs are made of rock".

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
if I was a smart fantasy writer I would quickly pump out a novel with some plot points in it that everyone expects asoiaf to hit eventually in the upcoming novels in order to say I did it first or just to gently caress with grrm and make him have to change his story.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

mossyfisk posted:

I'm pretty sure having a spymaster, bad magic, and pirates is all fair game in the fantasy genre.

You forgot warging, royal bastards and prophetic fools.

quote:

And "carving dragons out of stone and using magic to put people's souls into it" it pretty far away from "dragon eggs are made of rock".

Too right. I wasn't talking about the eggs. I was talking about Dragon Stone. Where dragons are carved out of stone and according to whatever they wake up.

Do you still think it's too much of a stretch to make comparisons?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

TommyGun85 posted:

if I was a smart fantasy writer I would quickly pump out a novel with some plot points in it that everyone expects asoiaf to hit eventually in the upcoming novels in order to say I did it first or just to gently caress with grrm and make him have to change his story.

Good news! He is so lazy that a few forums/blog posts about r+l=j are enough to put him off his game like a mother bird ignoring her spawn after it's touched by a human hand.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gimmedaroot posted:

Don't worry, everyone has gone through it. It is one of the stages of grief.

edit: If you want to keep track, you are in STAGE 1: DENIAL AND ISOLATION:

quote:

1. Denial and Isolation

The first reaction to learning of terminal illness or death of a cherished loved one is to deny the reality of the situation. (edit: In your case, the reality that you will never read the end of this series, as written by GRRM ) It is a normal reaction to rationalize overwhelming emotions. It is a defense mechanism that buffers the immediate shock. We block out the words and hide from the facts. This is a temporary response that carries us through the first wave of pain.

So enjoy your transition to "Anger"! I recommend staying there a while. this forum is Stage 2 personified. Although don't worry, plenty of Bargaining and Depression reside here as well!

syscall girl posted:

Good news! He is so lazy that a few forums/blog posts about r+l=j are enough to put him off his game like a mother bird ignoring her spawn after it's touched by a human hand.

godddamn that is a great simile.

kcroy fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 6, 2015

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

AtAt-de-fay posted:

You forgot warging, royal bastards and prophetic fools.

Do you still think it's too much of a stretch to make comparisons?

I see all of this stuff as like, the basic ingredients of scifi/fantasy crap. Sort of like the basic building blocks of the genre. Stone statues coming to life, prophetic fools, warging, ancient magicians, hidden knowledge, orcish bad guys, elves and sprites in the deep forest, secret heritage, fantasy world that is actually the distant future of earth... I mean basically anything that shows up in a D&D Manual / adventure / Greyhawk novel... to me that is all fair game.

Lots of GRRMs plot is cliche as poo poo - but I feel he has given us enough originality in how he has presented it ( gritty/rapey/twists! ) that it used to feel like it was adding something to the genre, rather than just being derivative poo poo. Just my 2 cents though.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Its the poo poo. And hits on the hopelessness and cruelty of an medieval society while adding a ton of humanity and sympathy for its characters.

Farseer trilogy for life son!

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
I don't think Martin rips off anything from Hobbs, but they are definitely working on very similar ground and their writing shares a lot of genre tropes.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Even if he did, who cares? Hobb isn't well known outside of the genre and Martin is perhaps the most popular writer on the planet right now. He did it better.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Unzip and Attack posted:

Even if he did, who cares? Hobb isn't well known outside of the genre and Martin is perhaps the most popular writer on the planet right now. He did it better.

George R R Martin, the American Edison.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Unzip and Attack posted:

Hobb finished his stories. And I liked them too, instead of this hate reading thing I've got going on with Game of Thrones the novelization.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Shageletic posted:

Hobb finished his stories. And I liked them too, instead of this hate reading thing I've got going on with Game of Thrones the novelization.

Hobb is a she. :ssh:

And yeah having closure to stories is pretty awesome too.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Well, the rest of you are probably right. But I've nurtured this crackpot theory for a while so I'm gonna stick with it a bit longer.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

The Rat posted:

And yeah having closure to stories is pretty awesome too.

Only if you like whiny protagonists.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Hobb is nowhere near done, she just put out book 14, and book 15 is planned for this August.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Apparently Kit Harrington had a clause in his contract with HBO that he had to keep his hair long and lovely looking as long as he was playing Jon Snow, but he recently got a haircut and so people are freaking out.

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

Looks like he could grow it back out by the time they start shooting again.

Guy should get a break from that do, too.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
GRRM bought a bowling alley.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Ague Proof posted:

Isn't bowling a little physically intense for GRRM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ague Proof posted:

the fatman posted:

The building, instead, will be used for art... not a traditional gallery, now, but a very exciting and innovative interactive art space. The exhibits will be designed and installed by Meow Wolf, a collective of forty-odd (some very odd) artists here in Santa Fe who have been doing some amazing things over the past decade, but have never had a permanent home before.

I went to the website he talks about, and I swear I thought this artpiece was called Clitteropolis.

edit: gently caress that website and their lovely pop up "subscribe" page.

edit2: I'd really much rather go to Clitteropolis - than see a bunch of poo poo covered in glitter. unless it were a clitter. you know.

edit3: Thanks internet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR4O68kUj5c

Clitter. Turn your Labia into a YEAH-bia!

kcroy fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jan 9, 2015