Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Crain posted:

They seem to have more "official" sponsors this year than past years. Correct me if I'm wrong but this year they got some serious starting funds from various sponsors instead of just large donations over the course of the event. That start up money comes with riders and stipulations. Add into that the new Twitch rules (which really haven't come up but whatever) it seems that the organizers are playing it really safe in case they run into something that could cost them.

Yeah all of those disgusting corporate fat cats from The Yetee and Humble Bundle. Fuckin' relax a little, dude.

e:

Sage Grimm posted:

I imagine having the donation reader sometimes rattling off the sponsors more than the donations at times. Few, far between and definitely not happening right now.

Yeah they did that a fair bit last night, but that's during down time when not many people are donating so I'm okay with it. I just wish all of the commentators would do reps on the sponsorship soundbites because they keep stumbling over them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Cutting mics during set-up, constant banner ads, once an hour to sponsors on a specific line given to them in a monotone voice. Donations are read less and the commentators have been silent with no mics on for minutes at a time. Sure it's more professional, but the feel makes this another LoL game feed instead of highlighting the event. It just seems stale and no directionless, with dead air killing it.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
More ghost runs? gently caress this.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

RyokoTK posted:

Yeah all of those disgusting corporate fat cats from The Yetee and Humble Bundle. Fuckin' relax a little, dude.

You're not wrong. It's probably mainly just the string of boring runs and me trying to think of ways to avoid that. But without a crew of professional entertainers that's impossible.

The main problem is they took away the entertaining idiots and left the boring idiots.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

beep by grandpa posted:

You guys have taken into consideration that it's barely been over 24 hours since it started though, right

Nope.

NO METAL WOLF CHAOS? NO PACMAN 2?! THIS AGDQ SUCKS!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

for the love of god someone just do something about the dead air segments and it would go a long way

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
they don't need professional entertainers they need BLACK PEOPLE and WERSTER

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

The event hasn't even been running for 24 hours, folks; it's Monday morning of a seven-day marathon. Give it some time to respond to feedback and tweak things and find their stride. It'll probably get better as it goes, and it's still reasonably entertaining now. (GX is actually getting some decent couch commentary.)

I agree that we could probably use more of an audience view and less of the strictly limited couch -- just gotta find a balance between goofy and professional. A tiny reduction in goofiness does not exactly turn it into Non-Objectionable Speed Runs For Charity Presented By Allstate And Microsoft.

fakeedit: Also, they just broke $250K -- a quarter of the way there, and we aren't even done with the first day, or into the big draw games.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

theultimo posted:

Cutting mics during set-up, constant banner ads, once an hour to sponsors on a specific line given to them in a monotone voice. Donations are read less and the commentators have been silent with no mics on for minutes at a time. Sure it's more professional, but the feel makes this another LoL game feed instead of highlighting the event. It just seems stale and no directionless, with dead air killing it.

There was little going on at those times in other marathons, so I'm not sure how it matters; who cares, they're off to the side and it's more charity money; there's been a lot of donation reading (replaced by sponsors when they don't have comments) and the second point is poo poo commentators, not "corporate blandness". As I said, we're just getting some boring runners front-loaded. Those were ALWAYS in marathons.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Bholder posted:

Nope.

NO METAL WOLF CHAOS? NO PACMAN 2?! THIS AGDQ SUCKS!

Pacman 2 was definitely one of my favorite runs from last year, but a lot of that was Murphgator and Portaxx.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
I think it's like the movie UHF . There is no Stanley to boost ratings.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I'm a little tired of F-Zero stuff now, but Jedi Knight and Quake II are two of my favorite FPSes and they're up next so I'm sticking around.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

Pacman 2 was definitely one of my favorite runs from last year, but a lot of that was Murphgator and Portaxx.

Maybe they should try getting more people like Murph and Portaxx to be on the couch then!

e: out of the ones i've seen, the current announcer's the guy who's best tried to keep the room hyped, even if he's cringeworthy at times.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
"Take my money good sirs."

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

*GDQ events always start kinda slow and build up as time goes on and everyone gets more tired. Plus the schedule is often kinda backheavy with many of the super popular games coming in the last couple days.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

RyokoTK posted:

She's gonna try to appear during the Awful Games block again this year.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

KoldPT posted:

Maybe they should try getting more people like Murph and Portaxx to be on the couch then!

You do realize that they aren't exactly hiring professional Cool People for this event, right? They're video game nerds volunteering their own time and dime for the event. The subset of super-skilled speed runners that are also really personable and charismatic is really, really slim and they're all already there.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cubey posted:

*GDQ events always start kinda slow and build up as time goes on and everyone gets more tired. Plus the schedule is often kinda backheavy with many of the super popular games coming in the last couple days.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

KoldPT posted:

It's all done by volunteers, though? If Murph and Portaxx aren't volunteering for couch times/runs/whatever-the-gently caress then that part of the run will be less exciting or whatever. It's not like they're deliberately going NO HUMOR ALLOWED :reject: and tying up everyone who both volunteered and is funny in a closet somewhere.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Crain posted:

The main problem is they took away the entertaining idiots and left the boring idiots.

PJ should just be breaking games for a week straight.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Sir Tonk posted:

PJGD? is an endeavor worth supporting.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
so ive heard rumors that blueglass has been segregated to his own little area

is this just people inventing drama or is it true-ish

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Dias posted:

PJGD? is an endeavor worth supporting.

His charisma leaks all over the room and the whole world benefits.

I miss cosmo and Mike though, it might be why it feels directionless when the main person isnt there :/

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
I think I built this F-Zero GX run up too much in my head after the awesome run at last AGDQ. I don't know, it's just not quite as entertaining, and I miss the crowd exploring with cheers and applause in the background.

Well, that and ghost races seem kind of boring in comparison, and there's 1h30m of them instead of a quick 30m of constant crazy single frame tricks and flying all over the place.

Anyone else feel the same way? I just have no interest in it this year.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Eonwe posted:

Nobody puts Blueglass in the corner :argh:

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Well I guess F-Zero time trials are as loving boring as any other time trial.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

BloodWulfe posted:

I think I built this F-Zero GX run up too much in my head after the awesome run at last AGDQ. I don't know, it's just not quite as entertaining, and I miss the crowd exploring with cheers and applause in the background.

Well, that and ghost races seem kind of boring in comparison, and there's 1h30m of them instead of a quick 30m of constant crazy single frame tricks and flying all over the place.

Staff ghosts are less impressive if you haven't played the game I suppose, but CGN kinda killed story mode dead. They can't do it again this year after he so thoroughly made it his bitch last year.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i think if they had a crowd mic and you could see people excited/hear people clapping it'd be alot more hype

most of the runs ive seen have had absolutely 0 couch commentary, especially the races where the actual people racing are focusing instead of talking

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Eonwe posted:

?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

kater posted:

Well I guess F-Zero time trials are as loving boring as any other time trial.

Yeah, story mode last year was better since it had races other than "go fast and beat time" that you still needed to be fast on. Like bomb runs and death races.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

BloodWulfe posted:

I pretty much said that a while ago, GX was cool last marathon because it was story mode. Time attack runs are...eh. They're not bad, but there's a lot of dead air because many tracks are "do this line perfect" and how do you comment on that?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Eonwe posted:

I saw him sitting a couple rows behind the couch yesterday.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
E: ^^^^^^There's my answer.

Has blueglass even shown up on camera yet? I've yet to see him.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jmcrofts posted:

I saw him sitting a couple rows behind the couch yesterday.

ok good, i'd be sad if that were true

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg

hcreight posted:

E: ^^^^^^There's my answer.

Has blueglass even shown up on camera yet? I've yet to see him.

He has, just for one game.

I'm sure many people prefer sitting off camera in front of the projectors, otherwise you're stuck behind the couch trying to crank your neck to see a small TV behind several people.

edit: VVVVV huh well okay then

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."

Eonwe posted:

He has enough food and water for a week, don't worry.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
This GX run is pretty cool, but it's just nowhere near as exciting as last year's was. It would be like if they did a regular Super Punch-out run after the blindfolded run from last year.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Swan Curry posted:

This GX run is pretty cool, but it's just nowhere near as exciting as last year's was. It would be like if they did a regular Super Punch-out run after the blindfolded run from last year.

Well I mean it'd be hard to top and it's not like doing the exact same thing as last year would be nearly as exciting.

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!

Sir Tonk posted:

This is gonna happen anyway, they really should figure out a way to monetize it though. Hatcam or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

They saw how popular the small F-Zero block was last year, and tried to expand that without understanding why it was popular. I guess they thought "Clearly ninety minutes of GX will be even better!"

• Locked thread