Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Duke said if Scalise is blocked he will put out a list of republicans and democrats who associate with the KKK.

Normally I'd be for it except he seems like the kind of guy that would start listing off people he doesn't like to make trouble for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kitfox88 posted:

Democracy is a failed experiment. We must return to monarchy or dictatorship. :commissar:

Surely if government would get out of the way the free market would innovate some new system of government that doesn't blow rear end.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

zoux posted:

What's that now?

The CIA interrogation tapes were all destroyed when people began questioning their actions after Anu Ghraib came out. The Pentagon did not. There is quite a bit more of what went on at Abu Ghraib than was ever released, most of it in photos (which is why there is still the call to release the photos). Seymour Hersh has been saying since 2004 that there is more than that, that there is a heavily classified tape of the prisoner abuse. And that one of the less offensive things to happen on the tape is the forcible sodomizing (his words) of children, boys in the 12-18 year old range (per Guardian interviews with former detainees there), in front of their mothers. With audio of them screaming in pain and terror. And again, there is supposed to be worse stuff than this in the AG archives that hasn't come out.

http://www.salon.com/2004/07/15/hersh_7/

This popped up back into the news cycle before Christmas when he gave a speech to the ACLU and it came up in the aftermath of the torture report.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Gravel Gravy posted:

Normally I'd be for it except he seems like the kind of guy that would start listing off people he doesn't like to make trouble for them.

That's exactly what he'd do, while throwing in some names of actual KKK/white supremacists in Congress. Unproductive for everyone.

Fried Chicken posted:

The CIA interrogation tapes were all destroyed when people began questioning their actions after Anu Ghraib came out. The Pentagon did not. There is quite a bit more of what went on at Abu Ghraib than was ever released, most of it in photos (which is why there is still the call to release the photos). Seymour Hersh has been saying since 2004 that there is more than that, that there is a heavily classified tape of the prisoner abuse. And that one of the less offensive things to happen on the tape is the forcible sodomizing (his words) of children, boys in the 12-18 year old range (per Guardian interviews with former detainees there), in front of their mothers. With audio of them screaming in pain and terror. And again, there is supposed to be worse stuff than this in the AG archives that hasn't come out.

This popped up back into the news cycle before Christmas when he gave a speech to the ACLU and it came up in the aftermath of the torture report.

"We raped some folks" or "We raped some kids"?

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

My Imaginary GF posted:

America should accept unaccompanied Afghan women as special refugees--while there's still time.

A large portion of many countries should be evacuated to save them from the rest, agreed.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

zoux posted:

Surely if government would get out of the way the free market would innovate some new system of government that doesn't blow rear end.

Like, say, fully privatized cities for the rich designed from the ground up to withstand climate change and defend against and keep out the poor who will desperately try to get access to them as the environmental collapse gets worse?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

B...but the free market is a benevolent entity!

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

zoux posted:

There is no such thing as a free market. A truly unregulated market results in absolute monopoly on the basis of familial bonds.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Fried Chicken posted:

Given that we basically raped a bunch of the people we tortured in the CIA report, going so far as to intentionally hire sexual assault predators, this is sadly way too believable.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

I can't think of any problems with this plan.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

zoux posted:

http://boingboing.net/2012/11/07/tom-the-dancing-bug-hollings-2.html

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zeitgueist posted:

Given that we basically raped a bunch of the people we tortured in the CIA report, going so far as to intentionally hire sexual assault predators, this is sadly way too believable.

Right but in the Vice doc the problem is with Afghan military and police using local boys for sex for pleasure rather than enhanced interrogation.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Zeitgueist posted:

Yep. People need to remember this poo poo when they try and play the bullshit equivalence game of "Obama is as bad/worse than Bush" or "the GOP and Dems are the same". The atrocities directly committed under Bush looks like a demon's resume, and we don't even know a tenth of it.

There is always more, and it is always worse.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

zoux posted:

Right but in the Vice doc the problem is with Afghan military and police using local boys for sex for pleasure rather than enhanced interrogation.

No I'm talking about the CIA tape I already knew about our boy-raping allies.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Fried Chicken posted:

Yep. People need to remember this poo poo when they try and play the bullshit equivalence game of "Obama is as bad/worse than Bush" or "the GOP and Dems are the same". The atrocities directly committed under Bush looks like a demon's resume, and we don't even know a tenth of it.

Nobody(hardly anybody at least) ever says they are the same, that's always a straw man that's easily struck down by saying "but Bush was provably worse". Yes, he certainly was, but also Obama is bad. They can both be bad, in different ways.

Being awful is basically a requirement for power in this country.

But yeah on a scale of bad presidents Obama doesn't even make top 10 and Bush is easily top 5.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Zeitgueist posted:

Nobody(hardly anybody at least) ever says they are the same, that's always a straw man that's easily struck down by saying "but Bush was provably worse". Yes, he certainly was, but also Obama is bad. They can both be bad, in different ways.

But yeah on a scale of bad presidents Obama doesn't even make top 10 and Bush is easily top 5.

Bush and Obama have separate roots for similar failures. Bush knew precisely what he didn't want to know, whereas Obama knows precisely what he wants to know.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Zeitgueist posted:

The problem is ranking those bottom of the shitheap. Buchanan let the civil war get kicked off to spite people leading to 700,000 dead, but that had the bright spot of slavery was ended through it (and frankly it probably wasn't ending any other way and I'm skeptical it would have ended through economic pressure like some claim). Johnson sabotaging the reconstruction had the nightmare that was Jim Crow going on long after he was in the ground, how much of that pain and misery gets put on his tab vs the presidents after him when it was ongoing?

gently caress it all man

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Fried Chicken posted:

I wouldn't be surprised, but I feel like it's really hard to take Hersh at his word given how poor his reporting on the Syrian chemical attacks was. That said we desperately need deep reforms of our intelligence services and some real transparency on the issue.

Is it too late for Udall to go out in a blaze of glory and reveal the complete torture report on the congressional record?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Fried Chicken posted:

And Obama looked right at it, and covered it up.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Fried Chicken posted:

gently caress it all man

:agreed:

Coalition building ITT

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Zeitgueist posted:

I think it's more that being awful is a consequence of exercising power. There are no good rulers, only rulers whose bad deeds have been forgotten, such is the nature of things.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I think it's more that being awful is a consequence of exercising power. There are no good rulers, only rulers whose bad deeds have been forgotten, such is the nature of things.

The best rulers are the ones most remembered for their misdeeds--to rule effectively is to pursue policies of income equality, which always makes the bigots, the aristocracy, the landed elite howl bloody murder.

When there's bloody murder, there isn't time to howl. That's how you know when elite are being crybabies. When elite are silent as they engage in capital flight, then's the time to listen to their whispers.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Name a single bad deed Emperor Norton committed, you bastard. :mad:

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Fiat currency rather than sensible gold base

:colbert:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Chopped down old-growth Redwoods.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Remember the CEO from Florida who threatened his employees with layoffs in 2012 if they voted for Obama Obama won and the economy tanked?

He just had his most profitable year on record and actually gave all his employees bonuses...

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Zeitgueist posted:

Fiat currency rather than sensible gold base

:colbert:

My Imaginary GF posted:

I have a hard time deciding which of you will be first against the wall.

Nah, just kidding; it'll be MIGF.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

A juror in the Michael Brown grand jury has filed suit (represented by the ACLU) against Bob McCulloch to break the gag order the jurors are under. The juror is claiming it is because McCulloch is mischaracterizing what happened with a case that is "unique" and "any interests furthered by maintaining grand jury secrecy are outweighed by the interests secured by the first amendment" given the prominence of this case in national discussions on race and policing.

The nasty, cynical part of my mind notes that, without said gag order, the juror is probably looking at a very handsome book deal.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

He was just selling out his old friends the Ents once they had outlived their usefulness.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Fried Chicken posted:

A juror in the Michael Brown grand jury has filed suit (represented by the ACLU) against Bob McCulloch to break the gag order the jurors are under. The juror is claiming it is because McCulloch is mischaracterizing what happened with a case that is "unique" and "any interests furthered by maintaining grand jury secrecy are outweighed by the interests secured by the first amendment" given the prominence of this case in national discussions on race and policing.

The nasty, cynical part of my mind notes that, without said gag order, the juror is probably looking at a very handsome book deal.

Would adding 15 bar complaints to the pot make you feel any better?

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2015/01/05/bar-complaint-filed-against-mcculloch/

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

zoux posted:

Remember the CEO from Florida who threatened his employees with layoffs in 2012 if they voted for Obama Obama won and the economy tanked?

He just had his most profitable year on record and actually gave all his employees bonuses...

Yeah but the president is still black.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Is this month's thread title a reference to R. Budd Dwyer? It seems like it, but I can't pair that with a current event, unless R. Budd Dwyer represents the Republicans and R. Budd Dwyer's head represents America.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Never saw the Gohmer Asparagus clip before

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DE4fCcsw6Fs

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Everblight posted:

Is this month's thread title a reference to R. Budd Dwyer? It seems like it, but I can't pair that with a current event, unless R. Budd Dwyer represents the Republicans and R. Budd Dwyer's head represents America.

Someone had a breakdown at the end of the December thread, IIRC.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Nah, just kidding; it'll be MIGF.

I'll have you know I'm an environmentalist who favors expansion of land under National Park Service management. If you don't have individuals like me looking out for environmental interests, who will? Republicans? Unfucking likely.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

My Imaginary GF posted:

I'll have you know I'm an environmentalist who favors expansion of land under National Park Service management. If you don't have individuals like me looking out for environmental interests, who will? Republicans? Unfucking likely.

I said first against the wall, not only.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

I'll have you know I'm an environmentalist* who favors expansion of land§ under National Park Service management.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I said first against the wall, not only.

When you put me against the wall, who will prevent you from being next? Nobody. I'm all you got, and if you think I'm bad, you should hear what those assholes in the Senate think of you.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

My Imaginary GF posted:

When you put me against the wall, who will prevent you from being next? Nobody. I'm all you got, and if you think I'm bad, you should hear what those assholes in the Senate think of you.

My reign of terror will be unparalleled, to the point where your future equivalent will claim it was a good and necessary thing that liberals should emulate if they want to get anything done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Everblight posted:

Yep, it is

Business Gorillas posted:

Someone had a breakdown at the end of the December thread, IIRC.
That was the Right Wing Media thread where a poster started talking about feeling suicidal from the constant bombardment of bad news. This title was just because I felt like it. Also, it is good advice

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 6, 2015

• Locked thread