Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Shaggar posted:

uh... books definitely require power to change the text + light the screen.

*murders 100 million additional trees per year because professors change one line of text in the required reading every year* See? books are "green"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
actually forestry is a very sustainable industry and many paper product companies use 100% post consumer recycled paper.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

i like the SUV going so fast it's only visible for 2 frames

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Shaggar posted:

actually forestry is a very sustainable industry and many paper product companies use 100% post consumer recycled paper.

yeah, if you've never seen a tree farm come up to oregon, you'll get to see forests lined up in perfect rows, it's creepy

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Shaggar posted:

my dad does gis work for the forestry industry and dang it's amazing how accurately and precisely they can track a particular piece of lumber

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
my dad works for this paper product company that makes paper products I guarantee most of you have used at some point and they haven't cut down a tree in decades. like they've been 100% post consumer waste since before it was a marketing term.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

the unsustainable part isn't the trees

it's the energy and solvents and petrochemicals used to make the wood pulp white + glue it together. papermaking is an ugly industry

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the unsustainable part isn't the trees

it's the energy and solvents and petrochemicals used to make the wood pulp white + glue it together. papermaking is an ugly industry

also energy spent hauling around and chopping up trees and tree-related products

PAPER BY THE REAM
PAPER BY THE REAM
PAPER BY THE REAM
PAPER BY THE REAM

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

and when i converted my newfoundland license to a BC license they asked one question (verbally) which was "what does a blinking green light mean" and I said "i don't know be prepared to stop I guess?" and they said literally "close enough" and gave me my license.

blinking green in ontario means you have right of way to turn left but in BC it means the green won't change until a pedestrian pushes the button. definitely not confusing at all lol

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

teen bear posted:

blinking green in ontario means you have right of way to turn left but in BC it means the green won't change until a pedestrian pushes the button. definitely not confusing at all lol

in BC they added another little light thing, so if you have right-of-way/advance left your lights are still red BUT a blinking arrow appears at the bottom.
if it's exclusively a left turn lane another set of lights are specifically for your lane

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

teen bear posted:

a blinking green means the light is broken

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Shaggar posted:

a blinking green means the light is broken

that's blinking red which means "shits hosed i'm a 4 way, have fun"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Elder Postsman posted:

my dad does gis work for the forestry industry and dang it's amazing how accurately and precisely they can track a particular piece of lumber

my father is a forester and land management guy and you should see the crazy poo poo they do with gps to track what has been sprayed, planted, thinned, etc. it is crazy.

he hates esri with a passion though.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

that's blinking red which means "shits hosed i'm a 4 way, have fun"

no I mean blinking green means its litterrally busted because green is not supposed to blink

blinking red means "im a stop sign" which could be because the light is defaulted to that mode b/c of a power outage or b/c its in low traffic mode.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

teen bear posted:

lollllllllllll get your poo poo together canadia

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

mills are crazy, too. i can't imagine what they can do now, but even many years ago they had a computer scan logs/sheets coming in and it would decide what size and length every piece of the tree would be, and off it went down the line, pneumatic jets blowing it off and into a bin as each piece passed by the right one

and that was a tiny operation not doing anything too special

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shaggar posted:

no I mean blinking green means its litterrally busted because green is not supposed to blink

blinking red means "im a stop sign" which could be because the light is defaulted to that mode b/c of a power outage or b/c its in low traffic mode.

and blinking yellow means to slow down and yield to vehicles already in the intersection

but people still stop for that one aalll the time

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Shifty Pony posted:

my father is a forester and land management guy and you should see the crazy poo poo they do with gps to track what has been sprayed, planted, thinned, etc. it is crazy.

he hates esri with a passion though.

i have! i've seen some of it!! and when i used to live with my parents like a decade ago i even went out and helped do some fancy forestry gps stuff. i don't remember much of that though because it was a long time ago.

also same, i'm glad i don't have to use esri products every day now.

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

having never seen a blinking yellow i would probably do the same thing

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

and blinking yellow means to slow down and yield to vehicles already in the intersection

my wife stops for yield signs all the time and it drives me crazy.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

also i like traffic circles just as long as nobody else is around because nobody knows what "yield" means or they stop inside the circle with the blinker on waiting for..... who knows

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the problem there is sometimes the cross traffic doesn't know that while they have a red blinker the other direction doesn't so they treat it as a 4 way when it isn't one. so u gotta be on ur toes when going thru a yellow blinker

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
there is a quasi traffic circle near my house that has a stop sign to enter it at one place and people sit there forever even tho traffic is not moving very fast and they could just go if they accelerated a little

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

teen bear posted:

some places will just put in blinking yellows to supplement a 2-way stop with blinking reds on the stop approaches if the sightlines are bad or something and a lotta people are gettin hit

no other lights just a housing holding one bulb each

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I used to work at International Paper and I just hoped the mills had good environmental impact engineers on staff because it's a messy business. Visiting the sites were cool though;but, they smell really bad.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

where i grew up it was always left turn yield on green and now every goddamn intersection has a left turn signal that's triggered by a sensor so you're guaranteed to wait through a whole cycle

if there's nobody else around i just go ahead and turn left tbqh

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

some places will just put in blinking yellows to supplement a 2-way stop with blinking reds on the stop approaches if the sightlines are bad or something and a lotta people are gettin hit

no other lights just a housing holding one bulb each

this is usually cause someones teenager got in an accident at the intersection and it was totally not his fault hes a perfect angel, obviously the intersection was not clearly marked.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

mills are crazy, too. i can't imagine what they can do now, but even many years ago they had a computer scan logs/sheets coming in and it would decide what size and length every piece of the tree would be, and off it went down the line, pneumatic jets blowing it off and into a bin as each piece passed by the right one

and that was a tiny operation not doing anything too special

yup. laser scanned with detection of knots and such after debarking to determine the most profitable mix of lumber, poles, or laminate to make from the tree given the expected market price for each when the lumber has finished kiln drying. even takes into account the thickness of the saw blades. wild to watch the blades move around getting ready for the tree, and also tracking the tree curvature because they can straighten out boards while they are drying by stacking literal tons of weight on top.

then it all gets sent down automatic belt paths to dump the right lumber into the right hoppers to ferry to the kilns.

also an insanely sensitive metal detector that will reject the tree when tripped.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Shaggar posted:

this is usually cause someones teenager got in an accident at the intersection and it was totally not his fault hes a perfect angel, obviously the intersection was not clearly marked.

yeah

the threshold for a signalization study is 5 major crashes "of a type susceptible to correction by a signal" within 12 months

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

teen bear posted:

after 2am on weekdays most of the traffic lights in downtown sac go to blinking red with blinking yellows along the main thoroughfares.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

teen bear posted:

blinking green for advanced left turn is retarded.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

jetz0r posted:

after 2am on weekdays most of the traffic lights in downtown sac go to blinking red with blinking yellows along the main thoroughfares.

yeah lots of small towns do this because it's easier for enforcement when there's no traffic at night

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

nobody is here to defend ontario, dont' worry

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yeah

the threshold for a signalization study is 5 major crashes "of a type susceptible to correction by a signal" within 12 months

so did you train for your job by playing lots of transport tycoon

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

NC required you to be able to identify signs when you applied to convert your out of state license to an in state one. Not multiple choice either, instead it was integrated into one of those eye checking machines.

Still a bit annoyed that my answer of "pedestrian crossing" wasn't good enough for the "school crossing" sign. I wanted my perfect score dammit.

i got three questions wrong (of four allowed) on the california motorcycle written test that i had to do to convert my canadian license over. all of them had to do with lane positioning.

in canada, and at any MSF safety course you take, you will be told that you should always ride off-center in the lane, in one of the tracks left by the tires of the car ahead of you. this is because (1) those areas are constantly swept clean of sand and glass and other debris by the cars driving by, (2) because of the previous point, and because the engine is in the middle of the car, any pools of oil and coolant and other fluids are more likely to be in the middle of the lane and (3) being over on one side allows you to "block" cars from trying to share your lane on that side, which they will do if they think they can get away with it. whether you should be in the right tire track or the left tire track at any given time depends on lots of things -- which lane you're in, how many lanes there are in total, divided or undivided road, where the cars are more likely to try to merge in from (based on onramps, side streets, etc), whether you are planning to turn soon, etc etc etc.

in california, the answer is always "ride in the center of the lane." :bravo:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

As a Millennial I posted:

where i grew up it was always left turn yield on green and now every goddamn intersection has a left turn signal that's triggered by a sensor so you're guaranteed to wait through a whole cycle

if there's nobody else around i just go ahead and turn left tbqh

yeah this is a v sad thing and more objective proof the world is slowly being suited for retards. like banning those cool mini magnets or w/e

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

look at haight and octavia in sf. haight is two-way on one side and one-way dead-ending into the two-way on the other, and octavia has four central travel lanes, and a divided sort of collector lane on each side with a median in between. cars could be approaching the intersection on the cross street facing each other in both directions, trying to turn either direction into either the travel lanes or the collectors, while cars on octavia itself are piling up on both sides

they put a blinking yellow there which i can assume only means "we don't got a fuckin clue what's going on here, just cross yourself and hope for the best"

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Oc...9e5a04be9?hl=en

e: had the wrong location

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 5, 2015

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yeah lots of small towns do this because it's easier for enforcement when there's no traffic at night

Boston does that, it's super handy

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

they're two different signals

also advanced green is not just for left turns duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

yeah this is a v sad thing and more objective proof the world is slowly being suited for retards. like banning those cool mini magnets or w/e

they aint even banned you just can't sell them as a childe toy.

coindentally all the sellers took this as a great oppurtunity to jack up the prices for more profits since people think they're illegal, lol

• Locked thread