Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Sorry, I started making that post minutes ago and didn't refresh the thread before submitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

homphgomph posted:

I think people realized they hate racing speedruns.

I don't think it is racing speedruns, it is time attack speedruns. These tracks are lifeless and boring without any other cars around, and I get the feeling that it removes a lot of the possibility for setbacks that the player has to come back from. This is too clinical to watch for hours and hours.

Diddy Kong was in its own special corner of awfulness for a different reason.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Yeah, I was a little surprised when I saw 1hr 35min as the estimated time for F-Zero GX. That is a LOT of GX.

Still holding out for the old-school FPS block.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
tbh just do away with the whole idea of x/y/z blocks.

i'd rather watch like, super mario world and then f-zero gx and then zelda 1, and then the next day see smb3 and f-zero x and majora's mask, etc

having all the games in one huge block is repetitive, even if the games are a little different it's all the same poo poo ultimately

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
do away with racing blocks at least

what a terrible idea

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

MrBims posted:

Literally just 6 tracks with 3 different vehicles, and a couple of different things following you. Maybe a break to collect coins/eggs/clocks. Repeat for 2 hours.

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."

MrBims posted:

I keep hearing that it sucked, but I enjoyed it during the previous marathons. Any reasons why I shouldn't watch the VOD?

E: Wow, that was quick.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Amazing

Naegleria constantly breakin stuff.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

And wow, the Gamecube just straight up hanged and then crashed on Naegleria.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
:rip: I hope this mercy kills GX

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Comrade Question posted:

I keep hearing that it sucked, but I enjoyed it during the previous marathons. Any reasons why I shouldn't watch the VOD?

It's a 100% run, not just an any%. Any% is fun because of all the glitches they use. 100% is a bullshit collectathon.

Leeham721
Jan 4, 2015
Even the consoles had enough, noice.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
never watch a 100% race

there is a 0% chance of it ever being interesting

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
also never watch a 100% speedrun of a game developed by Rare

it turns into

Awesome Game Gets Boring Quick

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Every single GDQ marathon I have watched has had runs that are entertaining and runs that are boring. There were some really great ones last night. I kinda feel like four F-Zero games in a row might have been overkill even if the runs themselves were individually good, but maybe that's just me.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

100% runs like ocarina of time can be cool but for racing games it's on the same level as jrpgs as far as speedruns go

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Eonwe posted:

never watch a 100% race

Counterpoint: Metroid Prime

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Comrade Question posted:

DKR wasn't a notably bad run. It's just been streamed to death and isn't a very interesting run. Same goes for Banjo.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

DKR wasn't a notably bad run. It's just been streamed to death and isn't a very interesting run. Same goes for Banjo.

And the runners/ couch were boring.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Minrad posted:

tbh just do away with the whole idea of x/y/z blocks.

i'd rather watch like, super mario world and then f-zero gx and then zelda 1, and then the next day see smb3 and f-zero x and majora's mask, etc

having all the games in one huge block is repetitive, even if the games are a little different it's all the same poo poo ultimately

Pretty much this, except for stuff like the Commander Keen block where the individual games only take 5-15 minutes each. Mega Man block is already stretching it with its 40+ minutes per game.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Eonwe posted:

never watch a 100% race

Yoshi's island was pretty great.

13/f/cali posted:

Every single GDQ marathon I have watched has had runs that are entertaining and runs that are boring. There were some really great ones last night. I kinda feel like four F-Zero games in a row might have been overkill even if the runs themselves were individually good, but maybe that's just me.

Yeah, last year there were plenty of runs that were dull as poo poo; everyone just remembers the ~6 that were awesome because it was a year ago and you're going to remember the cool fun poo poo, not the dull poo poo. Maybe they just had a scheduling fuckup and accidentally put all the boring people in the first 24 hours, who knows???

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

mango sentinel posted:

Counterpoint: Metroid Prime

sorry, I meant 100% of a racing game, not race

like F-Zero, Diddy Kong racing, etc

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."
Makes sense, sounds tedious, thanks.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

100% runs like ocarina of time can be cool but for racing games it's on the same level as jrpgs as far as speedruns go

I actually enjoy JRPG runs, but then again most of them have puwexil on the couch which is an instant run winner for me.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

most racing games are incredibly boring to watch because the focus is already on going fast

GarbiTheGlitchress
May 14, 2012

Trains to lift up and protect her friends... and maybe to pick them up and carry them when they are tired :)
From the perspective of someone who plays this game a lot, and wants to learn how to speedrun this myself, I think that this is an entertaining and informative speedrun. I didn't watch much of Climax, or all of F-Zero X, though, so maybe I'm just not as burnt out on F-Zero.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Comrade Question posted:

2 hour 100% racing game means watching basically the same thing over and over for 2 straight hours. There was basically no hype and the commentary was barely there at all at many points. It completely killed the quick momentum the marathon had.

Racing games are by their very nature repetitive, so these 1hour+ runs are painful especially since they keep airing during the day and are part of big blocks.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

most racing games are incredibly boring to watch because the focus is already on going fast

Basically this.

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
Anything good happen since the Super Monkey Ball run?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

13/f/cali posted:

It's just you, EVERYTHING IS TERRIBLE AND THIS YEAR IS COMPLETELY RUINED :supaburn:

I swear it was exactly the same last year, goons moaning about it being the worst ever during the first 24 hours. It's almost like people never learn :shrug:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Comrade Question posted:

I actually enjoy JRPG runs, but then again most of them have puwexil on the couch which is an instant run winner for me.

good commentating can help a lot of stuff but it doesn't change that jrpg games pretty make a block on their own and people like to nap during them for good reason

Leeham721
Jan 4, 2015

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

blah blah going fast

Yes, but the run goes faster than normal fast using tricky tricks. The novelty wears off after a few laps though. You're right but you're wrong.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Leave blocks for generic things, not game series. FPS block is fine because watching quake then DArk forces, then HL, are all different enough to be fun and not monotonous.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Only redeeming part of Banjo run
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06rW7LSUQ80

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Honestly, I'm enjoying this F-Zero GX run. The runners are human (i.e. not CGN), but they're still destroying the game pretty well. This probably has something to do with the fact that I haven't been watching racing games for the last several hours, though.

Fake edit: Except for that. Oops.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
poo poo is getting awkward.

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!

Hahaha the dude in the green hats reaction was great.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I haven't watched all of the F-zero runs entirely, but everything that I have seen has been more entertaining than the DKR run. At least there are a bunch of really neat tricks in F-zero. I swear the vast majority of DKR was them just playing the game normally but "fast".

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Heran Bago posted:

Sorry, I started making that post minutes ago and didn't refresh the thread before submitting.

I wasn't targeting you specifically, just making sure people saw UA's post.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Yessssss openly give LoL viewers the finger.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

worst agdq ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I had to look at the comments to figure out what this was supposed to mean.

Jesus. :(

• Locked thread