Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leeham721
Jan 4, 2015

Synastren posted:

worst agdq ever

Argumentum ad populum or some poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

snodig posted:

Every time I think a run is boring or too long, I think back on the starcraft 2 run and realize it's not that bad after all.

My favorite part of SC2 run is literally anyone could do it.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

A major characteristic of a good run that doesn't rely on crazy glitches is making it obvious you are kicking the game's rear end and not just going fast. Monkey Ball is amazing in that respect.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I'm enjoying this run but this is mostly because I intentionally skipped out on the other F-Zero games. If I had been watching from the start I'd be complaining too. I think unfortunately that this speedrun is kind of lost on folks without familiarity with F-Zero GX's courses though, unlike last year's speedrun which had enough going on to be astounding to absolutely anyone.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

MrBims posted:

I don't think it is racing speedruns, it is time attack speedruns. These tracks are lifeless and boring without any other cars around, and I get the feeling that it removes a lot of the possibility for setbacks that the player has to come back from. This is too clinical to watch for hours and hours.

I was pretty amused by the segment in Climax(? I think) with the two runners "racing" in their own copies of the game in time attack mode. I mean, I know why they did it that way, but just taking a step back and looking at the situation, it's so ridiculous. It's a racing game, and you're deliberately avoiding the built-in mode that lets you race.

Also, I have to land firmly on the side of disliking "blocks" of games. Do as many games of one franchise as you want, but my suggestion would be to shunt the less popular/interesting games of a franchise onto the late night/early morning hours. That'd free up some of the better times for other games, for variety if nothing else. You aren't going to confuse everyone by not having EVERY F-Zero or Mario game played in a row.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Che Delilas posted:

I was pretty amused by the segment in Climax(? I think) with the two runners "racing" in their own copies of the game in time attack mode. I mean, I know why they did it that way, but just taking a step back and looking at the situation, it's so ridiculous. It's a racing game, and you're deliberately avoiding the built-in mode that lets you race.

The original F-Zero was single-player only, they weren't avoiding anything.

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

Maybe I haven't scoured the schedule hard enough, but I'm sad there's no "awful games" block or Peaches_ runs.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Vaah posted:

I'm sad there's no "awful games" block

Did you miss yesterday.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
But... there is an awful games block?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Vaah posted:

Maybe I haven't scoured the schedule hard enough, but I'm sad there's no "awful games" block or Peaches_ runs.

Isn't there a second, post-official-marathon stream where they do that poo poo?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Vaah posted:

Awful games starts on the 8th?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Brother Entropy posted:

The original F-Zero was single-player only, they weren't avoiding anything.

Oh, well that makes more sense then.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Vaah posted:

"awful games" block

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!
They already played the Genesis games :smug:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

I find this F-Zero stuff pretty nice to have on on the side of my screen. Couch talking an appropriate amount. Banjo-Kazooie was good too. Diddy Kong Racing was entirely incomprehensible in that it appeared to be the same thing over and over for a very long time, and I had no real clue what they were even trying to achieve. Warioland 4 suffered slightly from the same, despite me having played it a fair bit myself, it was very hard to sort of keep track of progress and it had a tendency to become random stuff (that moment when they say "be prepared for time" and you are entirely caught off guard that it is the end of the game).

Don't try to watch this stuff that seriously though, just play some simple game on the side and watch casually, and it becomes really neat. Much like last year.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

ullerrm posted:

And wow, the Gamecube just straight up hanged and then crashed on Naegleria.
That made the whole block worth it for me :allears:

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
The original F-Zero is the only one that wasn't time attack.

snodig posted:

I keep reading that the sonic and f-zero block has been pretty bad - any truth to that? I feel asleep after the Super Monkey Ball run.

Sonic Heroes was really good.

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
I keep reading that the sonic and f-zero block has been pretty bad - any truth to that? I feel asleep after the Super Monkey Ball run.

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

and I'm blind as a bat. Sorry folks.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

snodig posted:

Sonic Generations was fine (DoctorWhat freaking out about it in this thread was the best part though) and Sonic Heroes was good.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Vaah posted:

You didn't look hard enough. AwfulGDQ is in the twilight hours of Thursday morning, from 1am to 6am. AdamAK is going to be running William Shatner's Tekwar. :allears:

Also, Peaches will be on the couch for Mischief Makers on Wednesday afternoon.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

So that's what that feels like

snodig posted:

SA2 and Heroes were good and entertaining

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Groovelord Neato posted:

I recall numerous times he said "now we have to wait a few minutes because the map won't let me progress yet".

Like, why the gently caress would you speedrun a game that completely prevents you from going fast for multiple lengthy periods.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

akc just poo poo on zewing's best time while playing on zewing's memory card :lol:

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

snodig posted:

SONIC HERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROEEEEEEESSSS

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

Redditors angrily and genuinely asserting that "The SJWs" have ruined AGDQ forever is keeping me entertained until the F-Zero is over at least.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

What a clutch accidental ending!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

snodig posted:

Sonic Heroes was good, dunno about the others. F-Zero had a bad race, and F-Zero X/GX isn't bad, it's just that time-attack is boring for a lot of people - including myself.

But it's over now.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Cerebulon posted:

Redditors angrily and genuinely asserting that "The SJWs" have ruined AGDQ forever is keeping me entertained until the F-Zero is over at least.

i genuinely don't even have to ask why they think anything remotely close to that because i can just assume that they're huffing paint and it makes sense

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Cerebulon posted:

Did one of them try to make the couch people say "ethics in videogame journalism" for money and it didn't get read or something? What is their basis?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i genuinely don't even have to ask why they think anything remotely close to that because i can just assume that they're huffing paint and it makes sense

because uyama is hitler

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

That rail slide ending was worth it.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

Cerebulon posted:

Even in a redditor's mind what exactly could they be doing? Uhhhhhhhh they told me to take a shower, gently caress... poo poo

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Yay, Jedi Knight's up next!

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

More GX?
gently caress!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Internet Kraken posted:

I recall numerous times he said "now we have to wait a few minutes because the map won't let me progress yet".

Like, why the gently caress would you speedrun a game that completely prevents you from going fast for multiple lengthy periods.

And then he did Heart of the Swarm which was somehow an order of magnitude worse.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Now we can get to Jedi Knight and Quake 2.

loving. Finally.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

snodig posted:

The last half of the F-Zero GX run was pretty great (I didn't catch the first half). I think most people are just down on it because four hours of F-Zero is too many, especially given that most of the games aren't as interesting to watch as GX.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Groovelord Neato posted:

Best part of SC2 run was how empty the room was and then how full it got for the late night Half-Life runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

More GX?
gently caress!

Nah you read that wrong. It's Jedi Knight

• Locked thread