Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Slavvy posted:

It takes real persistence and dedication to go that fast in a festiva, it isn't just an accelerator push away.
Some of those Kia made ford festivas over here went pretty good. They had two stroke engines/orbital engine tech injection as a test bed/project. But you may not have got them over there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Slavvy posted:

I don't get to see Acura as a brand here (some individual vehicles wash up but everyone just thinks of them as Hondas), am I wrong in picturing Acura owners as being even more insufferable/worse at operating a vehicle than Lexus owners?

When I got my 3.2tl as a steal from my parents getting a new car. (too good of a deal to pass up) My over excited Honda buddy invited me into the second gen TL Facebook group. And the people are.... Well interesting enthusiasts who first and foremost throw out what I have to say is a great and very comfortable suspension for lot scrapping garbage with CAMBER STANCE YO!. Its about as bad as you would imagine.

On my specific car, I keep it completley stock and baby it around praying that the transmission will not blow up as promised by the internet. 117k so far! :ohdear:

Too much awfulness that I care to go through and post so Ill just throw the link up for you all to gawk at.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/395820670513613/

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 5, 2015

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Preoptopus posted:

On my specific car, I keep it completley stock and baby it around praying that the transmission will not blow up as promised by the internet. 117k so far! :ohdear:

My dad bought a Type S or whatever the performance trim was for $2,000 from a college student and asked me what I thought about it. Despite him never taking my advice I say that those transmissions have a habit of grenading and given the previous owner its probably been bagged on.

Sure enough 3 months later the thing is just crawling through an intersection with my dad doing everything possible to get the transmission to pick a gear.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

1500quidporsche posted:

My dad bought a Type S or whatever the performance trim was for $2,000 from a college student and asked me what I thought about it. Despite him never taking my advice I say that those transmissions have a habit of grenading and given the previous owner its probably been bagged on.

Sure enough 3 months later the thing is just crawling through an intersection with my dad doing everything possible to get the transmission to pick a gear.

Yea the 99-01 models had a factory recall cause something about the 3rd gear burning up. Only about half of those" fixed" at the dealer worked without braking again. Mines on 03 when they supposedly had the problem sorted however some examples still had the issues. I maintain Honda v6 autos of that period and especially back in the Acura legend\vigor days are all garbage.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Honda have always gone it alone, so not always the best. Outsiders from the jatco ring (nissan/mits, but even mazda used them back in the day).
One time I tried to blow up a jatco with very rough treatment, the engine blew up first.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 5, 2015

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Wasabi the J posted:

I took it in it's face and thought it would be a limited access night lounge thing where I could drink and listen to music with my friend, to my deluded twenty four year old mind.

It was when I realized there were just scores of people trying too hard to "class" everything up that I got really bored.

It was just a bunch of people imagining what rich people's parties must be like, focused on cosplayimg their favorite Bond scene and not even getting drunk, just... sipping expensive drinks that were ALL mentioned in movies or T.V.

That is hilarious. Did they all want to be in Eyes Wide Shut but were too meek to actually tell anyone that's what they were after? That's another thing I find hilarious. It was a good movie, but the cultural image it has is so overblown. The actual ball in that movie was really, really tame, and was not the point.

Not to derail too much, but that's blatantly what the Acura ad tried to evoke, so it's still kinda on topic I suppose.

Zeppelin Insanity fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 5, 2015

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Preoptopus posted:

Yea the 99-01 models had a factory recall cause something about the 3rd gear burning up. Only about half of those" fixed" at the dealer worked without braking again. Mines on 03 when they supposedly had the problem sorted however some examples still had the issues. I maintain Honda v6 autos of that period and especially back in the Acura legend\vigor days are all garbage.

My folks have an '03 TL-S and had the auto tranny fail before 100k, but fortunately Honda/Acura covered the replacement. If it happens again, though... $$$.

Other than the transmission it's a super solid and nice car, but that's a pretty massive/expensive part to be prone to failure.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

That is hilarious. Did they all want to be in Eyes Wide Shut but were too meek to actually tell anyone that's what they were after? That's another thing I find hilarious. It was a good movie, but the cultural image it has is so overblown. The actual ball in that movie was really, really tame, and was not the point.

Not to derail too much, but that's blatantly what the Acura ad tried to evoke, so it's still kinda on topic I suppose.

really? I haven't seen (much) of it, but I'm surprised to hear it had any cultural impact at all, I thought it was just a Tom Cruise + Nicole Kidman vanity project with Kubrick's name attached because when your ego is that big, that's who you get to direct it. The Acura ad is trying to sell a decadent, urbane lifestyle to typically suburban Acura buyers. How successful it is at that I guess depends on how much Car Buyer looks at his boring life and dreams of being a playboy man-about-town with a cat head in some fancy city loft posting on facebook about how loving boring this party he's at is. Good thing the valet sent his Acura up in the elevator so he can bounce.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'm familiar with the Samara from this Cold War Motors video, but the 112 is new to me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il1IHduNBlw

Headlight wipers, motherfucker!

I am absolutely in love! :love:

Unironically, how can I get one into the states?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

A Melted Tarp posted:

Cars aren't going to get any less porcine, unless extremely lightweight materials like carbon fiber and titanium suddenly get a lot cheaper. Society has decided that a vehicle is unsafe unless it has front/rear/side/knee airbags, stability control, traction control, lane departure warning and blind spot monitoring systems.

It's worked, too. Talk to any medic, fireman, or cop who has been on the job for awhile. People just don't get hurt in accidents like they used to. I've only been working in EMS for 12 years, and I can still recall how brutal accidents used to be, especially side impacts. You could count on a ruptured spleen and fractured pelvis when someone got hit in the driver's door. Now it's the exception to see things like that.

Going back to this (and it may have been covered already), but I think the reason we're seeing a lot more situations of accidents being basically 50/50 of "he dead" or "barely a scratch" is people taking safety features for granted. Think about it: Safer car, airbags, ABS, sturdier builds...and what will some people naturally do? Get that false sense of security and get a bit more lax behind the wheel because they assume all these features will save them, so they don't need to be as cautious. On the other side, intelligent people know that safety features aren't a substitute for being careful and having common sense while driving, so any accidents end up being minor because they knew not to use their phone while tuning the radio, drinking a latte, putting on eyeliner and driving in a blizzard.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fo3 posted:

Honda have always gone it alone, so not always the best. Outsiders from the jatco ring (nissan/mits, but even mazda used them back in the day).
One time I tried to blow up a jatco with very rough treatment, the engine blew up first.

On the other hand, Jatcos found in early 90's BMW's somehow manage to be even more fragile than the usual ZF units.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I've always wondered about that - I thought my Skyline had a very similar 5 speed unit and I've not heard of much trouble with them.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pretty sure it's just Germans gonna German.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Aside from stupid design decisions, most brittle gearboxes tend to be that way because a penny pinching manufacturer did something stupid to save money.

Peugeot BA-10/5, much maligned among jeep owners as a festering turd that pukes out gear teeth like the victim of a gang curbstomping if you sneeze on the throttle: just fine, according to peugeot owners, who have them behind much less torquey engines.
Subaru 5MT, known for similarly losing teeth from second and third gear: just fine, as long as you don't romp on it, causing the two shafts to spread apart, bringing the contact pattern far enough out the teeth that the tips break off.
Aisin box known as the W/G series to Toyota owners and AX4/5 to Jeep owners: same issue as the Subaru 5MT, also fine as long as you don't romp on it.
Aisin box known as the R series to Toy owners and AX15 to Jeep owners: same story here too, but some (Ferremit, IIRC) have also nuked the 5th gear set. 4th gear doesn't exist and 1 is proper beefy, so no one really has issues with those that I've heard of.

Basically, put too much through and it's gonna go bang, and it will probably be at the known weakest point. Usually on a 5 speed with a direct 4th gear that means 2nd and 3rd gears simply because they're the furthest from the bearings supporting each end of the shafts so the shafts spread more under torque. Sometimes it's on 5th as well, usually because it's hanging out past the midplate/bearing by a bit and doesn't have anything supporting the other end of the shaft. Which isn't a problem if properly designed, it just isn't as strong as a doubly supported shaft is when using the same shaft and bearing sizes.

Some stupid design decisions I can think of include the input shaft sealing scheme on the big Mack mantrans in the M123A1C (for details, look under "The Transmission" on this page http://www.vannattabros.com/truck6.html) and the way Chrysler 42/44/46 RE/RH transmissions don't really circulate the ATF through the cooler when in park or neutral due to the valve body design. A number of shift kits are available on the market that include a mod to the valve body which fixes this, and significantly improves transmission lifespan if you do things like plow with them and sit idling in park in between plow jobs while you, say, collect payment and shovel the walks.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Found on imgur

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Bajaha posted:

Found on imgur

A coworker was complaining about a clunk every time he shifted his MS6. He took it in and they gave him back the random light bulb that was rolling around under his seat.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Slavvy posted:

On the other hand, Jatcos found in early 90's BMW's somehow manage to be even more fragile than the usual ZF units.

IDK about the 4 cylinders but the 4 HP 22 is pretty bullproof as long as you don't rev it in park or neutral for a long time and was used in tons of poo poo known to be reliable like volvo 740s

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Uthor posted:

A coworker was complaining about a clunk every time he shifted his MS6. He took it in and they gave him back the random light bulb that was rolling around under his seat.

Back when I was working for Mazda Australia we had a '98 626, less than a year old at the time, come in from one of the dealerships with a weird kind of clunk. Every time you took off there would be a strange rolling noise that would then occur again on coming to a stop. It wouldn't happen on acceleration or braking, unless you were taking off from or coming to a stop. The noise was coming from the bottom of the car but was very hard to pinpoint, and the dealership had spent 30-odd hours taking various bits of the car apart only to come up empty. We put our chassis microphone system on it and determined the noise was coming from the sill underneath the driver's door. We used a very expensive (for the time) camera-on-a-stick that we inserted into one of the holes that the trim cover pins in to, to discover a single dollar coin rolling backwards and forwards along the bodywork.

We thought about cutting into the sill to get it, but in the end we just sprayed some expanding foam into it and called it a day.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

rscott posted:

IDK about the 4 cylinders but the 4 HP 22 is pretty bullproof as long as you don't rev it in park or neutral for a long time and was used in tons of poo poo known to be reliable like volvo 740s

Japanese market BMWs used different transmissions (something about txes being more favourable if the car had x% local content)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

rscott posted:

The 4HP22 is a thoroughly ordinary transmission. The jatco equivalent that went in JDM e36's and the like was a turd.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I don't think safety features like air bags, abs, traction control, etc are the driving factor to how people have changed their driving habits. I think the real factor is how the car feels. Modern cars are unparalleled in sound dampening, bump dampening, and the like. You can do 100 in a modern car and it won't feel anything like some 80s shitheap doing 70. The immediate perception of danger is far more important than the extremely small amount of thought that the average person puts into how their car would protect them if something happened.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah, my mom rode in my car the other day, and it's pretty low and a lot of nvh comes through. I got up to like 43 in a 45 and she says "woah, slow down, how fast are you going!?"

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

jamal posted:

Yeah, my mom rode in my car the other day, and it's pretty low and a lot of nvh comes through. I got up to like 43 in a 45 and she says "woah, slow down, how fast are you going!?"

Same, except classic domestic. Took her to go pick up her Honda from the shop since I was on my way to work anyway and it was near the freeway, and she's almost white knuckled saying "slow dowwwnnnn" when I was going 40 in a 45 (slowing to prepare for a turn). Flowmasters and no sound deadening I guess? :shrug:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

jamal posted:

My mother likes to gasp in fear when I take a turn faster than 20mph and wildly grab for the door handle as if we're crashing.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I am absolutely in love! :love:

Unironically, how can I get one into the states?
You do not want one of those things. Trust me. Even unironically

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
It's like a bigger, more powerful yugo! Of course I want one. Realtalk.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Rhyno posted:

My mother likes to gasp in fear when I take a turn faster than 20mph and wildly grab for the door handle as if we're crashing.

I had the mat hooks pop out of their holes in the floor pan from how my mother ghost brakes.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

Rhyno posted:

Mine claws at my shoulder when ever the blow off valve goes off and screams things like "You're just like your FATHER!" like its an insult.

In her car (Fiat 500) I smash the go button and speed everywhere and she barely blinks.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Ironically, I do this exact thing when my mother is driving.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The level to which I have to tame down my driving habits when I have my mom or sisters in a car with me is so stressful I've requested not to drive them anymore. Push the accelerator down more than halfway? "STOP REVVING THE ENGINE SO HARD, YOU'RE GONNA BREAK THE CAR!" Brake for traffic less than a mile in advance? "OHMIGOD!! SLOW DOWN SOONER!!" Take a ramp at more than half the yellow speed limit (you know, the one that's designed so SEMIS can take it without rolling over)? "PULL OVER, I DON'T FEEL SAFE WITH YOU DRIVING ANYMORE!!"

And this isn't a ":rolleyes: Women :rolleyes:" thing, I've driven plenty of female (and male) friends and relatives and they have no problem, it's just the three that I drive most often. Drives me up a loving wall.

Don't get me started on how bad they are now that one of them has an infant; I can't so much as ask them to be quiet so I can watch traffic without getting jumped on for YELLING and SCARING THE BABY. Meanwhile the kid just sleeps through most of it without a care in the world.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
My mom used to red line my Celica the few times she drove it, "accidentally" got my dad's new 335 above 90, and used to have a '66 Mustang with a three speed on the floor. She only goes for the door handles if her back problems are affecting her inner ear.

Clearly back problems are terrible car stuff.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
It was the oddest thing growing up. My dad used to hoon the poo poo out of his cars when they were slow and terrible, including a loving terrifying memory of going 110 mph on the highway in a rust-riddled Kia Spectra that literally wobbled and flexed at the middle at that speed, but he finally got a good, fast car and now refuses to go over 70 mph or go around a corner with any sort of force, and yells at me when he is driving with me for doing that. I LEARNED IT FROM WATCHING YOU, DAD!

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Ironically, I do this exact thing when my mother is driving.

My mum has got so acclimatised to her Suzuki Swift Sport that I'm a bit afraid of her when she's behind the wheel of a different car - the speeds she'll try and hit urban corners at is just too much for a povo spec Corolla on Supercats (or whatever)

Also I made drat sure to impress on her that my Mazda 3 MPS is just a bit more powerful than the Swift - flooring it in second may be fine in that car but it certainly isn't in mine.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Alarbus posted:

Clearly back problems are terrible car stuff.

And Terrible seats. You can NOT forget terrible unsupportive lovely loving seats.

Sinestro posted:

It was the oddest thing growing up. My dad used to hoon the poo poo out of his cars when they were slow and terrible, including a loving terrifying memory of going 110 mph on the highway in a rust-riddled Kia Spectra that literally wobbled and flexed at the middle at that speed, but he finally got a good, fast car and now refuses to go over 70 mph or go around a corner with any sort of force, and yells at me when he is driving with me for doing that. I LEARNED IT FROM WATCHING YOU, DAD!

I have fond memories of my father doing stoppies in a 80s conversion van sending all of us from the rearmost seat flying into the backs of the front seats. Good times!
Mothers driving? Prior to the accident she'd flat foot the thing everywhere. Ditches included. Post the incident? She'd do 40 on the god drat interstate.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My mother drives retarded 4x4's because, in her words, she's got enough on her plate without having to worry about hitting kerbs like in a normal car. And she can see so much better in a 4x4. Which is why she constantly changes lane without looking and just roams over traffic islands and poo poo, it is legit terrifying and I'm sort of glad she's in another country where traffic enforcement is stricter than here.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 24, 2019

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Large and safe are not the same thing - older SUVs, utes and vans are amoung the worst vehicles on the road in a collision.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Extra posted:

Except insurance rates, vehicle fatality statistics, and physics don't agree with this wrong statement at all. Compared to an older compact they're better.

They're generally significantly worse than smaller cars against stationary obstacles/significantly larger vehicles like school buses:

A deathtrap compact car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJvBqhuPN_o

vs a big, safe pickup truck of the same era:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i5EmJBaGeQ

They just fare better statistically because, statistically, they're mostly crashing into smaller cars, so their greater mass helps them win that fight. Smaller cars have to be significantly better engineered to meet the same crash standards.

Heavier vehicles have that much more kinetic energy to disperse, which the structure has to dissipate effectively so that the driver slows down gradually instead of one big hit; if they rely on mass alone, the driver's gonna have a bad time.

And saying newer trucks are safer than old compacts is completely disingenuous, because newer compacts are, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCelD0qr8Do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HownfGmxweU

All vehicles are better built and safer these days, it has nothing to do whatsoever with vehicle mass.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Did you even read the reports in your own links?