Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
We got a new judicial appointment announced yesterday. BS from the fashion institute of technology.

a. Can we really use the word "science" there?
b. So many Legally Blond jokes running through my head right now....so many.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

ActusRhesus posted:

We got a new judicial appointment announced yesterday. BS from the fashion institute of technology.

I think you'll recall that Elle Woods overcame gendered stereotypes and used her fashion background to absolve a wrongfully-accused client while she was still a law student. We could all aspire to contribute that kind of diversity of lived experiences to the bench.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

mulls posted:

I think you'll recall that Elle Woods overcame gendered stereotypes and used her fashion background to absolve a wrongfully-accused client while she was still a law student. We could all aspire to contribute that kind of diversity of lived experiences to the bench.

I think you'll recall Elle Woods also practiced law without a license in a division of property dispute, illegally communicated with a client who was already represented by counsel, engaged in representation above her competence level, and brought a dog into court.

also, it was a movie.

(and it wasn't her fashion background...it was her experience with witnessing the impact of water on a sorority sister's perm)

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

ActusRhesus posted:

I think you'll recall Elle Woods also practiced law without a license in a division of property dispute, illegally communicated with a client who was already represented by counsel, engaged in representation above her competence level, and brought a dog into court.

also, it was a movie.

(and it wasn't her fashion background...it was her experience with witnessing the impact of water on a sorority sister's perm)

She is a wise fashionista and I won't hear otherwise.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

mulls posted:

She is a wise fashionista and I won't hear otherwise.

no. 90% of her outfits were fug. Sorry, not sorry.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

Alaemon posted:

Today was my new judge's first day on the job.

We also got in the mail a Writ of Quo Warranto from a Unified Common Law Grand Jury, which is apparently the latest trend in sovereign citizens. VERY exciting stuff!

That is good stuff. I wasn't aware that the US had a Prime Directive (yet).

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Note that AR did not mention that their new judge has a jd from Harvard.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Wax Dynasty posted:

That is good stuff. I wasn't aware that the US had a Prime Directive (yet).

The one we got is slightly different from that, but still clearly from the local chapter of the same folks.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

After I surprisingly made it through the holidays without any of my crazy uncles bringing it up, I thought I would have to wait a while to get my first hit of sovereign citizen insanity for 2015. Thread delivers.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Soylent: Pudding, a sovereign posted:

After I surprisingly made it through the holidays without any of my crazy uncles bringing it up, I thought I would have to wait a while to get my first hit of sovereign citizen insanity for 2015. Thread delivers.

Refused for Fraud. All Rights Reserved

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

ActusRhesus posted:

It's a public college (CUNY) that gives practical degrees in a variety of areas. Would take an FIT grad over a Princeton grad any day. Don't be an rear end in a top hat.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
But see Sonia Sotomayor.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

MoFauxHawk posted:

It's a public college (CUNY) that gives practical degrees in a variety of areas. Would take an FIT grad over a Princeton grad any day. Don't be an rear end in a top hat.

And then people ask why the bar struggles with diversity.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

I'm surprised at Brooklyn's numbers are as good as they are, as far as the NYC area schools go.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

MoFauxHawk posted:

Oh, for gently caress's sake. Lighten up, Francis.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I'm interested in taking summer law classes in the US and I was wondering if any non-US goons have taken them and if they are worth it. I'm more interested in the experience of studying abroad, even if it's for a month, but so far none of the lawyers I know have taken those classes so I have no references about them.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I took some summer class after 1L year and it wasn't any different than a normal class - Boring and a waste of time and money.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Dear diary: today I used the phrase "totally legit, bro" in oral argument. I am so not ready to be an adult.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
Not US but I did summer schools in Germany and Japan and they were awesome. Enabled me to fall asleep in more national legislatures and police agencies than I could have ever dreamed!

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

ActusRhesus posted:

Dear diary: today I used the phrase "totally legit, bro" in oral argument. I am so not ready to be an adult.

And you had the nerve to poo poo on a SUNY (cuny?) FIT grad!

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

And you had the nerve to poo poo on a SUNY (cuny?) FIT grad!

Whoops, you're right, it is SUNY rather than CUNY. The fact that it's in Manhattan is misleading.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

MoFauxHawk posted:

Whoops, you're right, it is SUNY rather than CUNY. The fact that it's in Manhattan is misleading.

Oh I was just too lazy to look it up.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

for the record, my issue is not with SUNY or CUNY...it's with "science" degrees in fashion and the obvious lead in to legally blond jokes. (new jurist is also blonde.)

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

ActusRhesus posted:

for the record, my issue is not with SUNY or CUNY...it's with "science" degrees in fashion and the obvious lead in to legally blond jokes. (new jurist is also blonde.)

But that was my point, that you were writing this person off because of the idea that their degree in fashion from this chintzy sounding school makes somebody less qualified to go to law school and become a judge, when in reality it's a perfectly legitimate degree from a cost-effective public college (rather than overpriced rich kid art school degree or a for-profit scam school degree). I know you were joking though and it definitely does lead in to Legally Blonde jokes. Was her degree actually in fashion? Most people I've known from that school had degrees in other things like fashion merchandising (slightly different) or arts administration. The idea of any of them being bachelor of "science" is kind of silly, but not unheard of. Northwestern gives BS degrees in things like theater and dance. "Fashion Institute of Technology" is a very dumb name for a school though.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

MoFauxHawk posted:

*gently strokes degree from University of Phoenix* "there, there.. don't you listen..."

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

ActusRhesus posted:

I hate cuny because it sounds racist.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Mrrrrrgh phone will not stop ringing with crazy new family law clients.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

MoFauxHawk posted:

The idea of any of them being bachelor of "science" is kind of silly, but not unheard of. "Fashion Institute of Technology" is a very dumb name for a school though.

Yes.

Dude, you are taking this waaaaaaaaaaay too seriously, and reading way more into it than you need to.

Here. Let me break it down for you.

1. Blonde woman gets appointed to the bench.
2. Woman has a "bachelor of science degree" from the "Fashion Institute of Technology."
3. Commence obvious legally blonde jokes.

that's it. no more to it than that. I never said she was unsuited for the bench. you assumed that. And then called me an rear end in a top hat.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

CaptainScraps posted:

It's the tax refund rush. Get in while the getting's good.

I think I made 40% of my gross income from January 1 until April 15.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

CaptainScraps posted:

Christmas is the most wonderful time of the year (for divorce lawyers)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm cackling with delight at the thought of all the people who had short sales last year and are about to receive letters informing them of gigantic tax consequences for the forgiven debt.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

mastershakeman posted:

I'm cackling with delight at the thought of all the people who had short sales last year and are about to receive letters informing them of gigantic tax consequences for the forgiven debt.

Sorry bro :/

http://www.washortsales.com/newsletter/mgoldberg/mortgage-forgiveness-debt-relief-act-2015/

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Nooooooooo

I was out of the country when that happened and somehow missed it :(

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I can't wait until no bill is passed to help with the tax consequences of my forgiven 200k in student loans after I hit my 10 year forgiveness. Assuming that exists in 7 years.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

CaptainScraps posted:

First Monday after holiday season. I'm happy folks are following through on their resolutions to divorce their spouses.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

ActusRhesus posted:

Yes.

Dude, you are taking this waaaaaaaaaaay too seriously, and reading way more into it than you need to.

Here. Let me break it down for you.

1. Blonde woman gets appointed to the bench.
2. Woman has a "bachelor of science degree" from the "Fashion Institute of Technology."
3. Commence obvious legally blonde jokes.

that's it. no more to it than that. I never said she was unsuited for the bench. you assumed that. And then called me an rear end in a top hat.

This person probably hears this kind of thing all the time though. For you it's a few seconds of your life and the joke is new to you, for her it's annoying, even if it's only being said about her and not being said to her directly in this case. It's like when the Lemony Snicket author made that obnoxious racist joke about that up-and-coming female black author when he was presenting her with an award. For him it was just a harmless compulsive baby boomer joke that he thought of when he heard she was allergic to watermelon, but to her it was an obnoxious theme she's had to deal with and be defined by throughout her life. (http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/29/opinion/the-pain-of-the-watermelon-joke.html)

Obviously this isn't actually very similar to that, but still, one of my two best friends from high school is an FIT grad who works in real estate development now and she does have to deal with that poo poo all the time, probably. Anyway, I doubt the judge actually cares, I'm just busting your balls.

Other topic: There's a guy in my neighborhood I talk to sometimes about law stuff, he sleeps in a parking lot near my place. Search for "Antonio Colbert" in Westlaw or Lexis or at least Google, it's loving amazing. 69 pro se cases in Washington, D.C. with judges getting more and more pissed and exasperated at him. Colbert v. Legal Aid, Colbert v. Burger King, Colbert v. F.B.I., Colbert v. United States, etc. Topics include the theft of his identity and his money. I got his permission to use his name here, he'd be excited to know that dozens of lawyers are looking at his work.

MoFauxHawk fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 5, 2015

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

MoFauxHawk posted:

It's like when...

Obviously this isn't actually very similar to that, but still...

It's just like this thing that it's not at all like. Got it...

quote:

one of my two best friends from high school is an FIT grad who works in real estate development now and she does have to deal with that poo poo all the time, probably.

objection. speculative.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

ActusRhesus posted:

It's just like this thing that it's not at all like. Got it...

objection. speculative.

What, just because I'm a lawyer, I have to have good arguments? This is just getting more and more offensive.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

MoFauxHawk posted:

What, just because I'm a lawyer, I have to have good arguments? This is just getting more and more offensive.

they don't even have to be good. just better than:

"Remember that time someone did something racist? This is just like that, except not really, but it's kind of like something that makes my BFF sad...I think."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Hey MoFaux (haha I just got that): do you mean you talk to the homeless guy?

What the gently caress are you doing talking to the homeless? What would EW, wars, or Phil say?