Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The man called M posted:

Why is a Jedi using a gun

Kyle Katarn has no patience for jedi poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
This is goddamn incredible, it looks so absurdly fast.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Gotta love the old-FPS "every object explodes" thing. Cut a chair in half? *BOOM*

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

snodig posted:

Oh wow I just checked out the /r/speedrun subreddit and it's filled with negativity since people can't dress up, stream shirtless and stuff like that this year. Apparently some really entitled people feel "their" event has been ruined, and it's all about the donation dollars now. Can't really wrap my head around the selfishness of that.

i cant believe the organizers are so selfish to make it all about donating to charity

!!!!! those fuckers

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I wish every game let me kill myself to end the level.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

So that's what that feels like
Ahahaha look at his little legs run

Also self destruct to the finish

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

ahahaha this is an incredible skip.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I just love how he keeps killing himself to end the level.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
also kyle katarn is a baller

need to do jedi poo poo? he can do that

need to do han solo poo poo? he can do that

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

Oh my god he blew himself up and propelled his corpse across the level to the end zone. This is beautiful.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Holy poo poo did he just blow himself across the entire loving level??

This is amazing.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mr E posted:

I wish every game let me kill myself to end the level.

I loved that about the F-Zero races. *KABOOM* YOU WIN!
Great to see it in more games :allears:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Also a much better announcer. Let's hope all the boring poo poo really was front loaded.

NoUU
Mar 8, 2013

Why do people even speedrun Starcraft when poo poo like this exists.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
So 2 deaths that lent you end a level and now you're fast enough to actually damage yourself when hitting wals.

This is Speedrunning.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

NoUU posted:

Autism

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
also if you guys haven't played this game,

aside from being a good speedgame its just a good game in general

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

NoUU posted:

Wasn't it last year where some dude did loving MINECRAFT? There are some games I have no idea why they even allow at the event.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Extreme Jedi Pro Tube Sliding

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

This is relevant again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6JHaBVySTA

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Kikas posted:

So 2 deaths that lent you end a level and now you're fast enough to actually damage yourself when hitting wals.

This is Speedrunning.
Literal speedrunning.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Your Computer posted:

Wasn't it last year where some dude did loving MINECRAFT? There are some games I have no idea why they even allow at the event.

To be fair, he did it by bed bombing the End Dragon, so it was pretty sweet.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.

Your Computer posted:

Minecraft from a seed so it was basically just "now I run to where all the tools are" "now I mine to exactly where I know the ore is" "now I build the portal to the boss and do some stupid poo poo involving a bed that kills him"

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Your Computer posted:

But Minecraft was actually an entertaining run? That also involved dying to win?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Your Computer posted:

yes and they almost had a minecraft run this year because they were too flaky to even practice speedrunning the game they probably play all the time for lets play money

its a terrible loving run and im glad it got canned

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

You have to wait 7 seconds for the elevator so it's easier to float through the window.

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
Refreshing to see a run when the runner thinks 7 seconds is way too long, so he finds a way to skip it.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This is insane at 45 mins

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Your Computer posted:

minecraft set seed any% speedrunning is actually interesting if only from the logistical standpoint of how the seeding algorithm was reverse engineered to produce the most useful seed for speed, that's kind of neat.

also the general strategy of using detonating beds in The End to kill the dragon caught me off-guard because that's actually really clever. It's also a fairly brief run so it's over before you know it if you don't like it. Plus the finish where the guy accidentally suicided into the ending portal was funny and unexpected and yet it still works.

basically minecraft in the right circumstances is actually cool and okay, but they were actually planning on having an almost 2 hour simple Any% (no seed) done by two LP'ers before it was kicked off the schedule because neither of them were taking it seriously enough.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Stormtroopers aren't paid enough to deal with this poo poo.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I love how some of the enemy death animations carried over from this all the way to Jedi Academy. Which is also a good speedgame.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

This run is bananas

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

You have to wait 7 seconds for the elevator so it's easier to float through the window.

Love when poo poo like this is played straight

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Ysalamiri is good with his commentary during this insane run, too.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Eonwe posted:

yes and they almost had a minecraft run this year because they were too flaky to even practice speedrunning the game they probably play all the time for lets play money

its a terrible loving run and im glad it got canned

To be fair, it was probably put in purely to bait a donation from Notch, who will literally throw hundreds of thousands of dollars at charities for basically no reason.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

minecraft set seed any% speedrunning is actually interesting if only from the logistical standpoint of how the seeding algorithm was reverse engineered to produce the most useful seed for speed, that's kind of neat.

also the general strategy of using detonating beds in The End to kill the dragon caught me off-guard because that's actually really clever. It's also a fairly brief run so it's over before you know it if you don't like it.

basically minecraft in the right circumstances is actually cool and okay, but they were actually planning on having an almost 2 hour simple Any% (no seed) done by two LP'ers before it was kicked off the schedule because neither of them were taking it seriously enough.

Oh thank gently caress for that. That would have been DKR levels of boring.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Now this is speed running!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

President Ark posted:

To be fair, it was probably put in purely to bait a donation from Notch, who will literally throw hundreds of thousands of dollars at charities for basically no reason.

Dude's got billions, it's PR :shepface:

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Your Computer posted:

I have to admit, last year's Minecraft run was kinda interesting in the abstract -- the goal was to get to The End and kill the Ender Dragon as quickly as possible. He started from a seed and used a bunch of glitches to duplicate things, and then killed the Ender Dragon using a bug with exploding beds. It was an odd little 25-minute gap-filler, not that terrible to watch.

(A co-op Minecraft run was actually on the AGDQ schedule this year, but they decided to cut it at the last minute (December) because the runners had real-life issues and couldn't practice enough, and the organizers were worried that they'd be rusty and gently caress up the run. Vanquish took its place. That Vanquish run is going to be amazing, btw -- it's being run one-handed.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

snodig posted:

Refreshing to see a run when the runner thinks 7 seconds is way too long, so he finds a way to skip it.

yea, this owns

actually most of the runs tonight own

watch battleblock theatre its gonna be sweet and or tight

• Locked thread