Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

CaptainScraps posted:

Has anyone played PierSolar? How is it?

It's poo poo. I could get into all sorts of problems with it, but let's keep this to the point. *cracks knuckles*

The Genesis version had two enemy formations a dungeon and an enemy pool that ran out halfway through the game. They may have fixed this in the HD remake, but I doubt they fixed the rest of the problems.

Every enemy in a given area is the same element, so the battles are won less by you breaking the game mechanics and more by equipping all your characters with one of the four elemental resistance items so they can't do poo poo to you.

Even then, the game's main gimmick of charging your characters to increase damage and access better spells does little more than tack extra rounds and actions to battles that are already too drawn out and repetetive.

It's written in that Working Designs style where pop culture references and gross out humor is mistaken for wit and personality.

The plot is a disjointed mess of elements stolen from other 16-bit RPGs stitched together with cliche.

The ending is a great big "gently caress you" to the player.

This happens in it:

And so does this:

Codiekitty fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i regret kickstarting it tbqh

i played it for like 20 minutes and decided it wasn't even worth my time, but i will say they did do a good job on giving 16 bit charm in hd

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

hubris.height posted:

i regret kickstarting it tbqh

i played it for like 20 minutes and decided it wasn't even worth my time, but i will say they did do a good job on giving 16 bit charm in hd

This, for sure, though I only made it 10 minutes, which I find is my Retro Tolerance Test Period. If a game doesn't really feel fun or grab me in some way right off the bat, it's safe to say it probably never will. Pier Solar not only didn't grab me, but kind of forcibly shoved me away while telling me that I didn't understand it and clearly I was the problem.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I've kinda lost my taste for the Piers Solar-style RPG, anyways. I can still put up with some repetitive grinding, but the general paucity of tactical/strategic options in the majority of them really kills it for me. I tried playing FF6 a while back, and I just couldn't make it past about the first Ultros encounter.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Now that I think about it Pier Solar reminds me of a demo from the early aughts in the RPG Maker community. It had a similar graphical style and a battle system about gathering power to unlock new moves to unleash. It was more of a proof of concept than any kind of game and I wouldn't be surprised if someone at Water Melon designed or was inspired by it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The two things I look for in an RPG are a) deep/engaging mechanics and b) quick, straight to the point gameplay. I don't end up playing many rpgs :(

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

A Steampunk Gent posted:

The two things I look for in an RPG are a) deep/engaging mechanics and b) quick, straight to the point gameplay. I don't end up playing many rpgs :(

you should play lightning returns

al-azad
May 28, 2009

A Steampunk Gent posted:

What do you like then because those two requirements seem to conflict each other.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

not really

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

corn in the bible posted:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

al-azad posted:

What do you like then because those two requirements seem to conflict each other.

Been playing alot of Dungeon of the Endless recently which is a pretty great RTwP strategy rpg you can clear in a few hours and Dragonfall DC was also pretty good for avoiding trash encounters and busywork gameplay too. But yeah I can't be doing with alot of goon acclaimed rpgs, feels like I can play for a few hours and not even make a scratch on them and for some games, especially turn based rpgs, that can account for a couple of wipes and not much else. Got a life these days you know.

I'd be meaning to ask around about this one actually. Is it genuinely good and fun game on its own terms or is it just less than a giant fuckup than the previous titles and the best by default? Alot of people gushing over it seem love it because :allears: :allears: you can dress Lightning up in a wacky costume and that guy does some hammy voiceacting :allears: :allears: which always seemed a bit of a flimsy reason to play a 40 hour game imo

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

it is genuinely a good and fun jrpg, and also it's only like 20 hours long if you don't bother with trying to 100% it. the plot is laughable but the combat is honestly fantastic.

e: the plot is stupid but in a way that a) doesn't waste your time with endless cutscenes and b) is pretty funny if you are willing to laugh at it

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 6, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, Lightning Returns is unarguably janky and the plot is poo poo but the core gameplay is really fun and it's pretty drat customizable. I wish it had gotten a billion DLC superbosses like FFXIII-2 did.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
it is a bad game but its the kind of bad game that after the fact you are ok with and a lot of the quests kind of complete themselves cause you find the items while wandering around

the final boss final phase is kind of infuriating and i can see people getting stuck on it

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
Lightning Returns is a very solid rpg in which a bunch of immortal idiots monologue at each other and its a big ol' ball of fun. Please try it.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So what is the best way to platinum the original Final Fantasy 13 on PS3?

Because I'm at chapter 11 and those 5 star hunting missions seem to be a bitch.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i liked that half the sidequests in LR are to find something the person has been looking for for centuries and you find it for them in like five minutes

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

i liked that half the sidequests in LR are to find something the person has been looking for for centuries and you find it for them in like five minutes

It's like that guy in Mario Sunshine who's been stuck on an island for years but mainland is like 15 second swim.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

i hadn't thought of it like that

it keeps getting better in retrospect

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I like it in RPGs when I help a dude and he's like "oh thank you, take this heirloom which has been in my family for generations" which I promptly sell for 15g at the next vendor.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
This keyword system in Wild Arms 3 seems like it's going to get annoying. Does it get annoying?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Only a couple times, and only Secret of Mana style where you can't progress unless you talk to one very specific NPC and it's like "who". If I'm remembering this right, you're gonna wanna bust out a walkthrough 1) when you're looking for Fila Del Fia, 2) when you're looking for Lombardia, and 3) if you're doing sidequest poo poo. Read the instructions really carefully because those walkthrough people are horrible at ordering their sentences.

It sounds bad, but honestly, the overworld is worse because, thanks to the whole desert theme, it's really easy to get lost even with the world map feature since everything looks exactly the same. The keywords are mostly there for lore.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

al-azad posted:

Now that I think about it Pier Solar reminds me of a demo from the early aughts in the RPG Maker community. It had a similar graphical style and a battle system about gathering power to unlock new moves to unleash. It was more of a proof of concept than any kind of game and I wouldn't be surprised if someone at Water Melon designed or was inspired by it.

That's because it started out as some message board wanting to make a game and the project dragged on for loving ages.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpEegXJd-ag

http://cadaver.homeftp.net/games.htm

metal warrior 4

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So how similar is Ys Origin to Oath of Felghana? Are they the exact same gameplay and design wise?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

So how similar is Ys Origin to Oath of Felghana? Are they the exact same gameplay and design wise?

It's pretty much the same engine. Better dungeon design but worse bosses. There's 3 playable characters, one of which plays a lot like Adol but the other 2 are very different.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

And the one who plays similarly doesn't have that weird intermediate step if you want to start using magic Adol does, you just hit the magic button and a thing happens.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

The Taint Reaper posted:

I did all those (mostly post-game), but I still didn't plat it because I would have had to grind out money/items forever to create every single weapon and accessory.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Polsy posted:

I did all those (mostly post-game), but I still didn't plat it because I would have had to grind out money/items forever to create every single weapon and accessory.

I think you can get infinite money after you get that trap stone from the turtle.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

Only a couple times, and only Secret of Mana style where you can't progress unless you talk to one very specific NPC and it's like "who". If I'm remembering this right, you're gonna wanna bust out a walkthrough 1) when you're looking for Fila Del Fia, 2) when you're looking for Lombardia, and 3) if you're doing sidequest poo poo. Read the instructions really carefully because those walkthrough people are horrible at ordering their sentences.

It sounds bad, but honestly, the overworld is worse because, thanks to the whole desert theme, it's really easy to get lost even with the world map feature since everything looks exactly the same. The keywords are mostly there for lore.

The devs probably realized this and wisely gave the world map coordinates which any good FAQ will list. They're a godsend if you're using a guide to find remote areas of which there are a lot of late game.

"If you go northeast of this town somewhere in a plateau that looks the same as all the other plateaus 10km from a set of train tracks you missed is a village no one has talked about until now I hear."

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Are there many 0 exp boss fights in WA3? I'm not made out of lucky cards to burn them without a guide.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

Are there many 0 exp boss fights in WA3? I'm not made out of lucky cards to burn them without a guide.

I'm pretty sure analyze reveals that information. If gella and experience show up as "???" then the battle is probably a scripted no-win encounter but don't quote me on that, it's been a while. Of course you should be using mystic with the lucky cards so the effect applies to everyone.

Gella cards are completely different. They sell for something like 1500 apiece. You won't encounter a boss that will give you this much (even doubled) until near the end of chapter 2 and you can't mystic them.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Mother 3 is good. However, I'm not sure the portrayal of the magypsies is in particularly good taste. At the very least the parts where children have powers awoken in them via a process that is very suggestive of molestation. This has probably been beaten to death in the near 10 years the game has been out but felt it was an elephant in the room I had to bring up at some point.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

al-azad posted:

The devs probably realized this and wisely gave the world map coordinates which any good FAQ will list. They're a godsend if you're using a guide to find remote areas of which there are a lot of late game.
To be specific, I'm talking about the two dungeon entrances to Niddhogg(?) where one was easy to miss if you had the camera turned at the wrong angle and could spend forever sailing in circles because a tan-on-brown standard definition world map isn't gonna show you that tiny canal you missed. I spent like a week looking for that drat thing as a teenager.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

To be specific, I'm talking about the two dungeon entrances to Niddhogg(?) where one was easy to miss if you had the camera turned at the wrong angle and could spend forever sailing in circles because a tan-on-brown standard definition world map isn't gonna show you that tiny canal you missed. I spent like a week looking for that drat thing as a teenager.

Big thing that stumped me was a secret exit in one of the dungeons that lead to a small patch of land (where the dragon couldn't land, of course) with one of those towers you needed to activate at the end of the game. I can't remember the specifics but the exit had to be bombed but due to the camera's position and the wall textures it was difficult to see the crack no matter the camera angle. Even with a guide it took me way too long to find that spot and you needed to do this to actually proceed with the game.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
If I hear the bath line on Might and Magic X one more time...
Record at least two different lines, please!

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

so langrisser iv again

there were some posts earlier about how easy it is, which is making me feel Bad At Video Games. technically I haven't lost a fight yet, but my victories are getting increasingly narrow, and all my people are underleveled (serena just joined and went straight to 3rd tier level 5, while the rest of my guys are still in second tier except for ricky and landius)

basically is it possible there's something obvious im missing or am I indeed, just Bad At Video Games?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Cake Attack posted:

so langrisser iv again

there were some posts earlier about how easy it is, which is making me feel Bad At Video Games. technically I haven't lost a fight yet, but my victories are getting increasingly narrow, and all my people are underleveled (serena just joined and went straight to 3rd tier level 5, while the rest of my guys are still in second tier except for ricky and landius)

basically is it possible there's something obvious im missing or am I indeed, just Bad At Video Games?

It's possible -- the game tells you you can kill off an entire squad by taking out the leader, which is true, but it gives less net EXP than killing off the soldiers too. If you find an important hero is underleveled, let them massacre some generic troops as well as the hero in charge of them!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Cake Attack posted:

so langrisser iv again

Make sure you are using unit matchups correctly too. Phalanx against Horse units and such.

I suspect you just did scenario 15 where the enemy really out classes you and you just need to fend them off. That can be a bit rough if you don't know to spam Phalanx units.

Ya try to equalize your levels a bit. It's probably just the gimmick levels giving you issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

The Taint Reaper posted:

First, finish the game. You're not going to be able to do much at chapter 11. You don't even unlock the final crystarium tier until you've beaten the game.

For one of the trophies (hold every item) you're going to need to grind an assload of money anyway by killing turtles for 10 hours, so do that first and you'll easily max out all your characters. That will make most of the fights significantly easier. (though, since the time limits are based on your attack power, it may make some of them a bit harder!)

For the ones you still can't 5 star, just complete them once and ignore the rating for now. Beating the final mission gives you an item that significantly increases the amount of time you have for a mission.