Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

E. Missed the derail train!

For content some young ~22 year old I work with was wigging out and wanted to liquidate his 401k when the markets turned down a few weeks ago because he lost 'about 50 bucks that week'. It was kinda cute :3

A couple of us explained how markets work and why now was the time to buy, hopefully he didn't sell!

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
My mom keeps cash around the house because apparently my dad is getting hella garnished for mystifyingly bad credit card decisions. At least it's in a hidden fireproof safe but :sigh: Cash at home is just the tip of the bad-with-money iceberg, obviously.

Blackjack2000
Mar 29, 2010

ohgodwhat posted:

I'm the kid who bought everything himself his entire life, without ever having a job.

Yeah, who even writes something like that unironically?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Blackjack2000 posted:

Yeah, who even writes something like that unironically?
Someone's girlfriend who is trying to avoid the reality that she is dating a child.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Emptyquoting is bad with money. You wasted time in hitting buttons when you could have moved on with your life.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Anne Whateley posted:

My mom keeps cash around the house because apparently my dad is getting hella garnished for mystifyingly bad credit card decisions. At least it's in a hidden fireproof safe but :sigh: Cash at home is just the tip of the bad-with-money iceberg, obviously.

It really depends on the asking you keep, relative to your income, savings/investments, and spending habits.

I keep around $1k in cash at the house (most of it in a safe) in case a big cash-only deal on a craigslist item or firearm I'd been wanting falls in my lap and I can't get enough from ATMs due to daily withdrawal limits to cover it all. But I will agree that it is a minor probability for that kind of risk. And just a way to enable me to spend more on things.

That said, in the last two years I've sold off as many guns as I've bought and an trying to sell another, so I'm not in a crazy buying frenzy mode like I was several years ago. Still, it's nice to know I've got a little cash for emergencies in case my cards get stolen, the bank/POS/ATM networks are down, or whatever.

Dangerous Mind
Apr 20, 2011

math is magical
So today I went through my monthly subscriptions and got rid of several I wasn't even using - Chegg for $14.99 and Wolframalpha - $4.99. I've used both I think like 5 times each tops last semester yet I still paid those subscription fees for 4-5 months. Also my gym was charging me $24.99/mo but the cardio machines were all broken so I finally had enough of that poo poo (it's a bitch to do a 45 minute HIIT session on the treadmill when the machine stops working in the middle of your run at 33 minutes F^$%!) so I switched to a more mainstream one for $303 for 2 years. Wonderful. I'm keeping Spotify, though. I can't stand commercials and their software is awesome.

Another kinda bad with money... I'm not necessarily proud of this one but basically I've always had lovely haircuts (from $5 shops) so last year I finally found this expensive place that gave me awesome haircuts - I loving love them. So I kept going back every 5-6 weeks. Here's the thing, though. They cost $45 each and I would tip anywhere from $5-15. That's a lot of money spent (but would it kill a barber at a cheap place to give me a cut that doesn't look like poo poo?). Tomorrow I'm going for another one but this time I figure I will take several pictures right after the cut and then just start going back to the $5 shop near my place every 3-4 weeks and hope they don't screw up since I will show them the pictures.

This year I'm just trying to spend a lot less.

Dangerous Mind fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 5, 2015

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Try harder. Paying $60 (that you have) for pure pleasure isn't bad with money.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Dangerous Mind posted:

Another kinda bad with money... I'm not necessarily proud of this one but basically I've always had lovely haircuts (from $5 shops) so last year I finally found this expensive place that gave me awesome haircuts - I loving love them. So I kept going back every 5-6 weeks. Here's the thing, though. They cost $45 each and I would tip anywhere from $5-15. That's a lot of money spent (but would it kill a barber at a cheap place to give me a cut that doesn't look like poo poo?). Tomorrow I'm going for another one but this time I figure I will take several pictures right after the cut and then just start going back to the $5 shop near my place every 3-4 weeks and hope they don't screw up since I will show them the pictures.

If it's the only place that doesn't make your hair look like garbage, $60 is fine. I'd pay that, even though my guy only charges $20. Then again, my hair is pretty easy.

Dangerous Mind
Apr 20, 2011

math is magical
Yea I guess so. Maybe slightly irresponsible is a better word/phrase. I'll get the cut tomorrow and then a month later get the $5 cut and see how it goes. I may even end up checking out other places as well. And since I don't go out all that often it really is just spare cash. Still, it's pricey enough that I would never tell my friends or family how much I pay...

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Dangerous Mind posted:

Yea I guess so. Maybe slightly irresponsible is a better word/phrase. I'll get the cut tomorrow and then a month later get the $5 cut and see how it goes. I may even end up checking out other places as well. And since I don't go out all that often it really is just spare cash. Still, it's pricey enough that I would never tell my friends or family how much I pay...

Does the salon offer different tiers? I know nothing about fancy hair cuts, except the place my wife goes to has varying skill levels that you pay extra for. Her stylist, whose been there for 20 years, is the most expensive at around 60 + tip. A newer hair dresser might cost $40.

I seriously doubt your $5 barber cuts lovely hair because they've never seen a photo of you with good hair. You're probably going to be stuck with a bowl cut or an expensive haircut, but maybe they have slightly less expensive haircuts at this new place.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I married a woman with a cosmetologist license. Free Haircuts for Life. You are all bad with money if you did not do this.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Im bald so I buzz my hair myself. Checkmate :shepface:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

flyboi posted:

Im bald so I buzz my hair myself. Checkmate :shepface:

Using electricity.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Spermy Smurf posted:

Using electricity.

Battery operated. Recharge it at work.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Battery operated. Recharge it at work.

If you don't work at home, you're wasting time and money on a commute :frogout:

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Nail Rat posted:

If you don't work at home, you're wasting time and money on a commute :frogout:

I bike. Therefore my commute doubles as cheap exercise!

You can't win.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Rick Rickshaw posted:

I bike. Therefore my commute doubles as cheap exercise!

You can't win.

I work at home and use a stationary bike attached to a generator for electricity so I don't ever have to see other people. Check and mate!

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
I am a being of pure energy.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

CelestialScribe posted:

I am a being of pure energy.

username + post combo :master:

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I just read this article that has been circulating the Internet. Long story short- an individual bought a $90,000 Tesla Model S. And like many Model S owners before him, he financed a large part of the purchase- a $70,000 bank loan.

He got into a collision, and was billed $10,000 in parts and $20,000 in labor. And now he's surprised that his luxury supercar is expensive to fix and his insurance company is giving him pushback.

I think the Model S is an amazing vehicle, and I really like Tesla as a company. But buying a mostly-financed Model S and thinking that it'll save you money is bad with money.

detloc posted:

I'm also amazed at people in their 30s with half a dozen super accounts, paying fees for each, with no idea what they are invested in. I check mine on a weekly basis and have a single account with lowest possible fees. Makes a big difference over 40 years.
Oh, I could go on about this sort of thing. I once sat down with a client to discuss a mortgage, and noticed that he was paying a bunch of short-term trading fees because he was trying to daytrade with mutual funds. When I noticed that, I attempted to bring up the topic (I was going to suggest he open up a self-directed investment account and consider investing in ETFs, instead). He cut me off mid-sentence then sneered, "I don't think I need to hear your suggestions about my investments portfolio. I'm a high school Business teacher. I know what I'm doing."

melon cat fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 6, 2015

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Stories about people bad with money - I'm a high school business teacher. I know what I'm doing

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

FCKGW posted:

This guy isn't bad with money, in fact he's become financially independent at 24, but I feel like he's going to make some bad choices down the road.

Of course the fact that he's asking what apartments to buy on Reddit is a red flag for me
http://www.reddit.com/r/financialindependence/comments/2qq5bc/24m_65k_usdmonth_dont_let_me_mess_this_up/

While that guy might genuinely be looking for some advice I feel like anyone that posts a "I'm 24 and make 65k a month" thread on the internet is just looking to brag.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Barry posted:

While that guy might genuinely be looking for some advice I feel like anyone that posts a "I'm 24 and make 65k a month" thread on the internet is just looking to brag.

I've looked on /r/personalfinance a few times and it's either the gems that get posted here, or <30 year olds making 6 figures who are obviously just making a thread to brag. There is no inbetween.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

melon cat posted:

I just read this article that has been circulating the Internet. Long story short- an individual bought a $90,000 Tesla Model S. And like many Model S owners before him, he financed a large part of the purchase- a $70,000 bank loan.

He got into a collision, and was billed $10,000 in parts and $20,000 in labor. And now he's surprised that his luxury supercar is expensive to fix and his insurance company is giving him pushback.

I don't get it. If they declare the car a loss, doesn't the insurance company have to pay $70k instead of $30k? I thought they usually did that when the cost of repairs was greater than the book value of the car.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

DuckConference posted:

I don't get it. If they declare the car a loss, doesn't the insurance company have to pay $70k instead of $30k? I thought they usually did that when the cost of repairs was greater than the book value of the car.

If the insurer declares it a loss, they get to auction it off.

fruition
Feb 1, 2014

Rudager posted:

I've looked on /r/personalfinance a few times and it's either the gems that get posted here, or <30 year olds making 6 figures who are obviously just making a thread to brag. There is no inbetween.

I agree about the bragposting but I think for a lot of young high earners who don't come from wealthy families, making serious bank can actually become pretty stressful. When you feel like FI is actually attainable you begin to obsess about it and feel guilty if you don't meet your goals, especially if you don't have a solid support structure or a mentor(s) to guide you and help keep your head on straight.

In my opinion this guy seems earnest in his pursuit for advice, because he knows how much he doesn't know and realizes that he could very easily ruin his chances at FI forever with just a few slip-ups. He knows a lot about social media marketing and sales funnels, enough to make him a baby-millionaire by 25, but he knows dick about investing his cash as evidenced by his bitcoin and precious metals holdings...so I can't fault him for reaching out for advice. I wish more people could come forward with their success, however the internet is not a place that values positivity in this regard.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
My brother-in-law and sister-in-law came into a decent sum of windfall money (~$15,000) a few weeks ago, and they've been going nuts with it.

Also a bow-flex, new car, new rental house, etc. They've increased their income to the tune of maybe $1,500/mo, when they were making close to nothing before (especially with 3 kids), but once that $15,000 runs out I think they're in for a rude awakening.

I'm not judging because I've been there, but it's like drat we've been trying to put away money for over a year now and $15,000 is a lot of money actually. It's disappointing to see it disappear.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 6, 2015

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Dangit Ronpaul posted:

You're not wrong, but if having a job doesn't get him anywhere financially, he's probably better off with volunteering, doing some kind of freelance work, or picking up a more structured hobby. That way he gets the benefits of getting out of the house without all the bullshit that comes with depending on a job for immediate survival.

Freelance what? Handiman? I think a construction worker can probably do pretty well doing that sort of work while still staying on the dole and working under the table. That being said, most people want to work, and getting any sort of job even if it's financially break even can be great for many people's self esteem. You're looking at someone else's problem through the lense of someone who is young and probably has marketable skills.

Knyteguy posted:

My brother and sister-in-law came into a decent sum of windfall money (~$15,000) a few weeks ago, and they've been going nuts with it.

Also a bow-flex, new car, new rental house, etc. They've increased their income to the tune of maybe $1,500/mo, when they were making close to nothing before (especially with 3 kids), but once that $15,000 runs out I think they're in for a rude awakening.

I'm not judging because I've been there, but it's like drat we've been trying to put away money for over a year now and $15,000 is a lot of money actually. It's disappointing to see it disappear.

Lol @ fat-hand. Tell that dummy to go on a diet.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Knyteguy posted:

My brother-in-law and sister-in-law came into a decent sum of windfall money (~$15,000) a few weeks ago, and they've been going nuts with it.

You can take the person out of the paycheck-to-paycheck lifestyle, but you can't take the paycheck-to-paycheck lifestyle out of the person.

It's such a shame. 15k could be a life-changing amount of money with the relative safety net it'd provide to someone living on only 1500/mo (with 3 kids! :suicide: ) within their means. I'm all in favor of treating yourself within reason, because after all you've got to enjoy life sometimes too, but 15k just don't go that far these days and gets vaporized quickly if you piss it away on mindless consumption.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Guinness posted:

You can take the person out of the paycheck-to-paycheck lifestyle, but you can't take the paycheck-to-paycheck lifestyle out of the person.

It's such a shame. 15k could be a life-changing amount of money with the relative safety net it'd provide to someone living on only 1500/mo (with 3 kids! :suicide: ) within their means. I'm all in favor of treating yourself within reason, because after all you've got to enjoy life sometimes too, but 15k just don't go that far these days and gets vaporized quickly if you piss it away on mindless consumption.

The more I read into personal financial advice, the more obvious and polarizing the line gets between financial responsibility and mindless consumption, to me. Before what I'd define as 'just treating myself' is now 'a horrible use of money', hahaha.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

jon joe posted:

The more I read into personal financial advice, the more obvious and polarizing the line gets between financial responsibility and mindless consumption, to me. Before what I'd define as 'just treating myself' is now 'a horrible use of money', hahaha.

For me, I guess the difference is between something that contributes to a higher quality of living or is a unique experience, versus some quick instant gratification thing. Obviously what those things are will vary between people, but I think a lot of us will agree that using a small windfall to finance new cars you can't actually afford and gorging yourself on all-you-can-eat Sushi 4x a week don't fit that description.

Granted I'm not living paycheck to paycheck, but if I had a 15k windfall I wouldn't feel bad spending a few grand on a foreign backpacking trip or on buying a durable good like a nice new bicycle (exercise, recreation, practicality) or some new touring skis (exercise, recreation) that I can get a ton of use out of. You know, things that I resist the temptation to spend money on now because I can't "afford" it, despite technically having the cash to do so.

But I'd still end up saving/investing at least 10k of it toward something significant in the future, like a house when I'm ready.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 6, 2015

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

jon joe posted:

Yeah risk managment and prudent spending are so LOL

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Knyteguy posted:

Buying rolls at an all-you-can-eat sushi joint is bad with money.And not because their sushi rice is generally terrible. You have to go for the value items and go pure sashimi and shrimp tempura. Otherwise you're paying $25 a plate for rice.

:barf: california rolls

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
No you see a man with a belly flowing over the top of the table and on the verge of breaking his mancelet is a true gourmand.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
That is an arm.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Yeah that sushi looks pretty gross.

That being said, all you can eat sushi is generally cheaper than a plate of high quality sushi. It's totally worth the money though.

Now I want a $35 plate of sushi THANKS THREAD.

Dangit Ronpaul
May 12, 2009
yeah if you're going to blow money on going out for sushi at least go someplace good instead of getting california rolls at a lovely buffet

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

n8r posted:

No you see a man with a belly flowing over the top of the table and on the verge of breaking his mancelet is a true gourmand.

You're really putting in a lot of effort in calling this person fat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
The saddest thing is they think that is good sushi. I can get higher quality fresh tempura rolls here for 6.99 for 16 rolls. But yay for living on the coast I guess.

• Locked thread