Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Regy Rusty posted:

Holy poo poo the last fight with Jeanne in Bayonetta 1 is like the coolest thing ever.

I was really bad at it but who cares it was awesome.

Bayonetta 1 is seriously my favorite 3D beat'em up ever better than any Ninja Gaiden/God of War/Rising/anything for those boss fights and the boss designs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###

Looper posted:

I'm so glad that artstyle has stuck around

It's fun, cute, and playful without being hokey. It's art for children and man-children to enjoy.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I have my money on the next Galaxy game being called Super Mario Galaxy 3DS and being exclusive to the new 3DS.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

noirstronaut posted:

I have my money on the next Galaxy game being called Super Mario Galaxy 3DS and being exclusive to the new 3DS.

I sincerely hope not, because then I'd have to get a 3DS.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Devil Wears Wings posted:

I sincerely hope not, because then I'd have to get a 3DS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f1-ipNK5dY

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Neo Rasa posted:

Bayonetta 1 is seriously my favorite 3D beat'em up ever better than any Ninja Gaiden/God of War/Rising/anything for those boss fights and the boss designs.

I just beat Bayonetta 1 today. Having played Wonderful 101 and Metal Gear Rising, a lot of playing Bayonetta for me was mostly "Oh so that's what they were referencing," since Platinum games tend to be pretty self contained. As...unique as Hideki Kamiya can be, he sure knows how to make video games. Also I don't know what people were saying about Bayonetta being particularly difficult. Even on Hard, it's not so bad if you've played similar Platinum games. Infinite Climax difficulty on the other hand is stupidly difficult but that's to be expected.

Theta Zero fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 6, 2015

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Goddamn I am getting so hyped about Mario Maker for some reason

I wanna make some good as gently caress Mario levels and then have goons play them

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

deadwing posted:

Goddamn I am getting so hyped about Mario Maker for some reason

I wanna make some good as gently caress Mario levels and then have goons play them

I can't wait to play some bad as gently caress Mario levels. I wonder how big of a level you'll be able to make

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Macaluso posted:

I can't wait to play some bad as gently caress Mario levels. I wonder how big of a level you'll be able to make

I really hope you'll be able to do vertical and scrolling levels

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I wish Mario Maker would be Nintendo's answer to Little Big Planet. Instead it's just a better Mario hack editor than what hobbyists would do, which isn't bad per se but I can't help but feel disappointed.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

I wish Mario Maker would be Nintendo's answer to Little Big Planet. Instead it's just a better Mario hack editor than what hobbyists would do, which isn't bad per se but I can't help but feel disappointed.

Little Big Planet is three (four if you count the Vita) loving games in and is still a terrible platformer to actually play mechanically. The third game did a lot to tighten up the jumping but it still just Doesn't Feel Right

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

deadwing posted:

I really hope you'll be able to do vertical and scrolling levels

In the most recent direct they showed being able to go vertical. I assuming by scrolling you mean automatically scrolling and yeah I agree. Now I want a DKCR maker so I can make sadistic minecart and rocket barrel stages of my own

edit: That's right the game awards, not the direct

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 6, 2015

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

deadwing posted:

Little Big Planet is three (four if you count the Vita) loving games in and is still a terrible platformer to actually play mechanically. The third game did a lot to tighten up the jumping but it still just Doesn't Feel Right

I didn't say LBP's platforming wasn't garbage -- it is -- but the amount of ridiculous stuff people script with that game is fascinating as hell. Not to mention the presentation is really charming.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Mario Maker does seem pretty drat cool to be honest. I gotta get this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0TVMg7Cs3c

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Theta Zero posted:

I just beat Bayonetta 1 today.

I just beat it now and wow that was- wait the credits sequence just got interrupted oh poo poo hold on.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
I'm ready to be disappointed by Mario Maker. Everytime these online level building games come out, I always get excited about the idea of a perpetual game where levels just keep getting made. What we get is 2-6 weeks of trash and half finished levels so numerous and disorganized that it becomes impossible to find a good level. Ends up being a waste of time and hard drive space.

Someone needs to do this and then keep a team of like 10 people on the project to sift through the trash and make a constantly updating "Developer's Choice" section so that you can be guaranteed like 10-20 new levels/week.

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

Fremry posted:

Someone needs to do this and then keep a team of like 10 people on the project to sift through the trash and make a constantly updating "Developer's Choice" section so that you can be guaranteed like 10-20 new levels/week.

Miiverse.
Why hire someone when the community will do it for you?

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
As long as there is a good system for sharing levels, I know goons will make some awesome levels.

The latest video of Mario Maker has convinced me to buy it. It looks way more fleshed out than the E3 version.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Fly with me posted:

Miiverse.
Why hire someone when the community will do it for you?

They've tried community stuff before with ratings and stuff like that. You end up getting like 10 levels that hive mind voted to the top, and a couple of those are throw away wacky comedy levels. The rest becomes newly cycling trash that's impossible to wade through to get to anything decent.

I expect Miiverse to be worse than that because it's basically a social media feed not intended to organize that amount of throw away data in any meaningful way.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Regy Rusty posted:

I just beat it now and wow that was- wait the credits sequence just got interrupted oh poo poo hold on.

YOU STILL GOT PLATINUMS TO EARN, SON! CREDITS AIN'T NO RESTING TIME!

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I hope in Mario maker you can get to the castle in world 1-1 find Rosilina and just go home. Because why go through all the effort of rescuing an inferior princess who is located in world 8-8?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Commissar Ken posted:

YOU STILL GOT PLATINUMS TO EARN, SON! CREDITS AIN'T NO RESTING TIME!

Haha yeah. I should've realized that from Wonderful 101.

It was a pretty great game, though I think I still like W101 better. If I'd had the opportunity to play it earlier I'd probably now go challenge harder difficulties and try to actually get more things unlocked (like the secret boss). But as it is, I'm more eager to go on to Bayonetta 2 next, so maybe I'll come back to this one later, after I've conquered the sequel.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I want Super Mario U-niverse.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Gammatron 64 posted:

Mario Maker does seem pretty drat cool to be honest. I gotta get this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0TVMg7Cs3c

This video actually did highlight some details I did miss before. I like the callbacks to Mario Paint in the UI and I hope the asset list is HUGE. Also I'd be sweet if they added in several characters to play as, Rosalina included. And Yoshi.

Infact, Nintendo, please add in a Yoshi's Island tileset. YOSHI'S ISLAND, NOT YOSHI'S NEW ISLAND NINTENDO

edit: Then give us a level editor for Captain Toad and 3D World

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

New tilesets and poo poo like that would be perfect for DLC.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

the truth posted:

I want Super Mario U-niverse.

We all do.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I'd love to see a SMB2 tileset, enemies, and turnips. Throwing turnips at shy guys in Captain Toad is awesome, but I want more.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Skeezy posted:

New tilesets and poo poo like that would be perfect for DLC.

They'll probably be tied to Amiibos.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
I got xenoblade. What should expect?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Cyron posted:

Don't try to do every single quest mid game or you might go mad, enjoy the best RPG in a long time!

Speaking of I bought the official soundtrack, was like $45 but worth it. It's the only video game soundtrack I've ever purchased.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

katkillad2 posted:

Don't try to do every single quest mid game or you might go mad, enjoy the best RPG in a long time!

Speaking of I bought the official soundtrack, was like $45 but worth it. It's the only video game soundtrack I've ever purchased.

It's worth it just for Gaur Plain.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Does Xenoblade at least have a good story? I bought it due to the hype and couldn't force myself to play more than the first couple of hours. For whatever reason, I couldn't get into it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

enojy posted:

Does Xenoblade at least have a good story? I bought it due to the hype and couldn't force myself to play more than the first couple of hours. For whatever reason, I couldn't get into it.

The characters are all actually pretty intelligent and coherent in how they go accomplishing their goals and there's some pretty decent twists and turns. It's very good by JRPG standards but incredibly easy to spoil. Don't go looking for details.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cyron posted:

When you get access to the Colony 6 sidequest a few hours in, take the time to complete the first tier of all four buildings. It'll net you a portable reactor you can give to the gem furnace guy at Colony 9 for a Portable Gem Furnace.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I generally am disappointed with level editor-focused titles, but Trials Evoluton managed to pull it off wonderfully. Every week they'd have the newest and best levels divided into those that were fun and innovative, and those that were just pure platforming. For a solid two years or so there was consistently great levels being made.

So its possible.

And then Ubisoft published Trials Fusion and completely destroyed the userbase with a terrible sequel - with gaudy overpriced DLC, no ability to search for tracks with or without the DLC, a terrible interface, a split userbase across several platforms, a still-missing multiplayer mode...

So its possible, but it does take time, care, and attention.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

enojy posted:

It's not the worst jRPG plot I've played through, but it's not the best either. It's ok, the character writing is generally good, the voice acting is good too and I like that they kept the British dub, but the music is fantastic and that's what kept me going for most of my run, which I am about halfway through, I think.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

enojy posted:

it's cool. above average, but not as much as people say it is. setting is rad though

kinda like xenoblade as whole really

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
I do agree that i love the British dub, it gives a game more of a idenaty and not have the same guys who do every anime/game dub.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###

Macaluso posted:

edit: Then give us a level editor for Captain Toad and 3D World

This would make me beyond happy. An endless supply of 3D World levels would be fantastic. However, I could just imagine the cock shaped stages that poor Toad would have to traverse, which would be fantastic too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Watrick posted:

However, I could just imagine the cock shaped stages that poor Toad would have to traverse, which would be fantastic too.

Time for adventure! :wiggle:

• Locked thread