Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cakefool posted:

To be fair not that many of us in AI will get the chance to drive one.

I'm basically going off of what Mario Andretti, Prost, Alan Jones etc. said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If Prost says a car is a bitch to drive that's pretty damning.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

quote:

In the simplest terms, the Cheaparral 2J-2 is a 1986 Chevrolet Corvette powered by a twin-turbo V8 and modified with a special undertray capable of generating 1000 pounds of vacuum downforce at any speed

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/plan-of-attack/

AI as gently caress.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Fo3 posted:

They're known as centerline solid face wheels in Australia too. But American racing probably was the original since they started making wheels in the 1950s hot rod era. Centerline didn't start until the 1970s, I would have thought by then people knew brakes needed cooling, especially the now more common disc brakes. So I doubt there was any reason for centerline to make them except for the fact that people liked the already existing AR outlaw wheels and wanted them cheaper so centerline copied that style.

They're indeed American Racing Outlaws, or a cheap knockoff of that particular wheel. ARO's are known for having an unfinished face with polished lips, Centerlines are either all unfinished, or all polished.

Cakefool posted:

If Prost says a car is a bitch to drive that's pretty damning.

To be fair to the 2J, Jim Hall loved the thing, but then again Hall was crazier than a shithouse rat.

Jim Hall posted:

The 2J's major advantage is that it will corner faster on low-speed corners, the ones that are 30 to 90 mph in normal Can-am cars. these corners predominate on Can-Am tracks. It means you can leave the corner faster, with more speed, and carry that speed down the straight. At first, the 2J was a real shocker! Side forces (in cornering) are really impressive. Holding your head upright becomes extremely difficult. On a normal Can-Am car you have to bend your head over about half-way to balance the cornering force. In the 2J the cornering forces want to bend your head right over. We're going to have to get used to it. I've banged my elbows and knees on things I never used to touch. Another change in the 2J performance over past models is the quickness and directness in steering. You get a direct change in direction when you turn the wheel. The downforce increases the contact load betwween the tires and the road without increasing the mass (weight) of the car. Steering effort is high and any little change causes a significant side force.

quote:

The 2J has set a track record at Chaparral's Midland track, where Hall tests each of their engineering tours de force. And Hall casually remarked that he was not driving the car at its full potential that day.

Link

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 1, 2015

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sweet christ.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
This is why, if you don't buy any other Grassroots Motorsports issue throughout the year, make sure you at least get the GRM 20XX Challenge wrap-up issues, because people do some pretty incredible poo poo with that tiny budget.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I don't care if its just a heavier foxbody mustang I have an obsession with the lincoln mark vii especially with the ridiculous bodykit. You could've had it with a 225hp V8, which wasn't too shabby for 1988.

The last picture is from a "comtech" mark vii, featuring a touch screen crt.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 4, 2015

Torn Quad Jones
Nov 2, 2011
If you can put mustang go fast parts on it i too will become obsessed.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That is unironically incredible, I'd love to drive one with a modernised engine.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Torn Quad Jones posted:

If you can put mustang go fast parts on it i too will become obsessed.

You can.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
It looks like the car from the ads in Robocop. I approve.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
That car is straight out of gta

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Now I wanna see a Koenig Mk VII

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

My friend sort of inherited his uncle's mark vii when we were in our mid 20s. It was rad as hell, even if the air suspension kept deflating intermittently.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I knew a girl in high school who had one that was forever on its nuts due to limp air suspension. She kept driving it on the bump stops like broke-rear end teenagers with little common sense are wont to do.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I owned a white VII LSC. My ex talked me into buying it. Fuckin' interior was haggard but the engine/trans made up for it.
Fucker was so loud, rash, and stupid. It was great.

I traded it for a honda because I was sick of the dumb niggling issues. Month later the guy burned up the dash with a radio install.

E: lovely potato pics from 2009

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 3, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Holy poo poo you are my hero.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
If you own one you have to play this on a loop

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Not even close!

e: no, not even that. This:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u02tycroA30

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jan 3, 2015

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Slavvy posted:

Not even close!

e: no, not even that. This:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u02tycroA30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLuf8rJAbyY

:colbert:

pastels........ everywhere

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jan 3, 2015

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

More here - http://www.petrolicious.com/rally-legends-on-lake-garda

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Dakar rally starts tomorrow. He's a clip of the greatest guy from the greatest country driving around some Dakars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfG3KgSR7fU

U S A

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7ZPSxHgKmw

80s-est song on the planet.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Click the pic for more. RWD rally beaters are seriously the best thing :allears:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's one of those things that I would love to get into someday. Not sure it'll ever happen but it's a nice dream.

Lemons and the Top Gear coverage of rallycross is what really got that desire going.

Not sure I'd get into a full on rally, I like circuit racing a lot more.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Maybe on a basis for whats shown on some 80s set movies by will farrel or that other guy I can't remember from the other terrible movies...
You'd have some competition from Don Henley - boys of summer, and toto - africa, not to mention cyndi lauper, michael jackson and madonna, just to think of a few other that I don't like.
E: Just remembered my most 80s thing, has to be Europe's "the final countdown" and Kenny loggins "highway to the dange rzone" Mainly because of the movie about the time travelling aircraft carrier - song not related but funny, and obviously also the movie topgun

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 5, 2015

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Feels appropriate to post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JJip8Wk0Ag

I would also love to get into local rally with an old beat up E30, but more so exploring the various hidden mountain roads around here.

Edit:

Jehde fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 6, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well crap now I have a desire to go watch that series again.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

quote:

No copyright intended.

Cracks me up every time.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Fo3 posted:

Maybe on a basis for whats shown on some 80s set movies by will farrel or that other guy I can't remember from the other terrible movies...
You'd have some competition from Don Henley - boys of summer, and toto - africa, not to mention cyndi lauper, michael jackson and madonna, just to think of a few other that I don't like.
E: Just remembered my most 80s thing, has to be Europe's "the final countdown" and Kenny loggins "highway to the dange rzone" Mainly because of the movie about the time travelling aircraft carrier - song not related but funny, and obviously also the movie topgun

the 80est AIest video

e- wait maybe it's this one

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 5, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
You're pushing boundaries there. 1980s America was very very lame, lamer than the rest of the world combined. There's only so much the rest if the world could smile and go along with. E: I remember mainly Aussie rock and new wave dominating everything locally before G'N'R and Euro electronica/techno near the end of the decade, that's all.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 5, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fo3 posted:

You're pushing boundaries there. 1980s America was very very lame, lamer than the rest of the world combined. There's only so much the rest if the world could smile and go along with.

However you have to keep in mind that in the late 80's/early 90's America was the coolest place on the planet and basically everyone in Europe wanted to be American.

I went to Germany in 1995 and acid washed jeans, t-shirts with american flags, and smoking was the height of cool. It was like I had warped in time five years backwards.

And don't forget how long the lines were when the USSR got its first McDonald's. It makes iPhone wait lines short by comparison.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

xzzy posted:

However you have to keep in mind that in the late 80's/early 90's America was the coolest place on the planet and basically everyone in Europe wanted to be American.

I went to Germany in 1995 and acid washed jeans, t-shirts with american flags, and smoking was the height of cool. It was like I had warped in time five years backwards.

And don't forget how long the lines were when the USSR got its first McDonald's. It makes iPhone wait lines short by comparison.

to be fair, if you went to Germany today, in some parts, acid washed jeans, t-shirts with american flags, and smoking (let's not forget the mullets) are still very much in vogue.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

xzzy posted:

Late 80s/early 90s is completely different.
How could I remember lines in Moscow for maccas if I've never been to Moscow?
Only thing I ever waited for was metallica in 1991 with kyuss, but idiots here form moscow style lines for krispy kreme or carls jnr, that's not for me.
But yeah, after G'N'R (which I edited in above), and the whole west coast 'grunge' scene with pearl jam, soundgarden, alice in chains et al, only then did we start to again pay attention to the USA music scene after ignoring them throughout the 1980s - because 1980s america music scene was full of poo poo, pop, yacht rock and cock rock. And the decent USA bands that emerged after G'N'R (which was huge), were seattle/grunge bands which took influences from Australian bands that I had in my local town sometimes which I was listening to in the 1980s, (as well as maybe UK bands too).
I'm an old fucker, and not a trendy bastard, and I'm from Australia. I've never wanted to be an American, but wouldn't mind seeing a tarmac oval race live once - we have small dirt ones here.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 6, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

MrChips posted:

My brother and I had a few Capsela sets when I was younger, but after 8-year old me learned the merits of wiring several batteries in series, the motor pods all met a quick death.

Capsela was the poo poo. Do they not make it anymore?

e: It's back, in Japanese form. http://www.iqkey.jp/

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 6, 2015

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Fo3 posted:

Late 80s/early 90s is completely different.
How could I remember lines in Moscow for maccas if I've never been to Moscow?
Only thing I ever waited for was metallica in 1991 with kyuss, but idiots here form moscow style lines for krispy kreme or carls jnr, that's not for me.
But yeah, after G'N'R (which I edited in above), and the whole west coast 'grunge' scene with pearl jam, soundgarden, alice in chains et al, only then did we start to again pay attention to the USA music scene after ignoring them throughout the 1980s - because 1980s america music scene was full of poo poo, pop, yacht rock and cock rock. And the decent USA bands that emerged after G'N'R (which was huge), were seattle/grunge bands which took influences from Australian bands that I had in my local town sometimes which I was listening to in the 1980s, (as well as maybe UK bands too).
I'm an old fucker, and not a trendy bastard, and I'm from Australia. I've never wanted to be an American, but wouldn't mind seeing a tarmac oval race live once - we have small dirt ones here.

Russians loved thrash metal in '91

You should have too, tbh

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I'm not a big moped/scooter fan, but this is amazing. In 1980 4 French guys decided to tackle the Paris-Dakar on Vespas, in the end 2 finished giving them a 50% finish rate, which compared to the 37% finishing rate of the grid is not bad at all

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Did you just call metallica thrash metal?
No. Just No.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
They were still thrash on Ride the Lightning :colbert: