Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IronLawnmower
Aug 28, 2014

White Dog Eggs posted:

Could be a few things going on, your best bet is to take a picture of what you've done for us to look over.

I'll try and get that up tonight. I had a look and both connections seem solid and the neck pickup is completely fine.

E:worked it out. Was meant to connect that red wire.

IronLawnmower fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

I got itty bitty Tone Blocks! :D

what up tiny instrument buddy

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Cool, for funsies I decided to try out a few acoustics at my local shops.

Now, despite having an acoustic that I love I am GAS-ing for a Taylor GS mini or a Martin Backpacker. :cripes:

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I started playing guitar a few months ago and I bought an epiphone les paul special II and it has been alright.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

umalt posted:

Now, despite having an acoustic that I love I am GAS-ing for a Taylor GS mini or a Martin Backpacker. :cripes:

i have a backpacker mando (technically my dad's) and I hate it. the drat thing sounds like you're playing a cardboard box, and from what i can tell the guitar is no different

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
GS Mini is probably one of the most consistently good guitars I've gotten to play. Like top three guitars for me are Seagull S6, Taylor GS Mini, and a tie between the Martin DC14 Ovangkol and the Martin GPCPA4. GS Mini plays stupidly well and comfortably.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

umalt posted:

The Backpacker is awful, don't do it :(

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

Weird BIAS posted:

GS Mini is probably one of the most consistently good guitars I've gotten to play. Like top three guitars for me are Seagull S6, Taylor GS Mini, and a tie between the Martin DC14 Ovangkol and the Martin GPCPA4. GS Mini plays stupidly well and comfortably.

I have an S6 and it is really great, both in terms of sound and playability. The one thing is that the top dents super easily: I have so many big marks on it from minor things.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Yeah cedar does that unfortunately.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Stealthgerbil posted:

I started playing guitar a few months ago and I bought an epiphone les paul special II and it has been alright.

Epiphones these days are fantastic

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

ZombieParts posted:

Epiphones these days are fantastic

Not in my experience.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

SG pro 400 is not bad, some of the LPs in the 700 range are pretty nice. Split coils on almost everything is cool. Pickups need to be potted or replaced is a pretty common experience. Better than affinity squires but just below classic vibes most of the time.

IronLawnmower
Aug 28, 2014

Stealthgerbil posted:

Get a BC Rich. You'll instantly become a shreddy eddy metal god trust me it worked out for me.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
I asked this in the new equipment thread too, but I like you guys so I'll ask here as well -

My main gig bag just fell apart and I wanna get a nice new one; preferably one that will fit most of my guitars (tele, jaguar, rick 620, maybe even my Ibanez artcore hollowbody [wishful thinking]). Any reco's?

Right now I'm eyeballing the Roadrunner Roadster bags, or maybe their double bag, but I keep seeing crazy praise (and ungodly pricing) for Mono bags (which admittedly look really cool too)

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

I got my guitar fetish scratch and dent today. "That looks like what happens after a night of drinking and mint chocolate chip ice cream."

Plays great for as stupidly cheap as it ended up. I like it!

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

pointlessone posted:

If you could do a more detailed review later, I would really appreciate it. I was looking at the GFS semi-hollows pretty hard a few weeks back, but reviews seemed to lack detail.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

JohnnySmitch posted:

I asked this in the new equipment thread too, but I like you guys so I'll ask here as well -

My main gig bag just fell apart and I wanna get a nice new one; preferably one that will fit most of my guitars (tele, jaguar, rick 620, maybe even my Ibanez artcore hollowbody [wishful thinking]). Any reco's?

Right now I'm eyeballing the Roadrunner Roadster bags, or maybe their double bag, but I keep seeing crazy praise (and ungodly pricing) for Mono bags (which admittedly look really cool too)

I know literally nothing about bags so take this with a pinch of salt, but I've been told by a couple of fairly experienced professional musicians that if you want a good gig-bag, head to a leather-worker/case-maker and see how much they'd charge to make up something custom. This one guy had the most bad-rear end gig bag I've ever seen. Brown leather, everything double or triple stitched, absurdly padded and lined inside with something that looked like what you'd see on a padded cell, it was awesome. He didn't tell me exactly how much it was (never a good sign) but he said that it was less than a lot of brand-name stuff. It was pretty heavy though.

pointlessone posted:

I got my guitar fetish scratch and dent today. "That looks like what happens after a night of drinking and mint chocolate chip ice cream."

I'm kind of glad there isn't a site exactly like guitar fetish in the UK, I'd end up buying so much dumb poo poo.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

Bread Dragon posted:

If you could do a more detailed review later, I would really appreciate it. I was looking at the GFS semi-hollows pretty hard a few weeks back, but reviews seemed to lack detail.

I only had about 20 minutes with it before I had to come to work, but a quick tuning after it warmed up gave fairly bright sound without the amp, powerful enough to play without for practicing, and nice, meaty tone once plugged in. They are completely silent, a first for me, as I've only owned single coils before this. The pre installed strings are just awful, though.

Build wise, because I got a factory second I'm not sure if full priced ones will have the same. The finishing around the F holes is pretty rough looking, and there was a significant amount of rubbing compound left on the fret board. Tone and volume pots are solid feeling, and have response with fairly smooth transition instead of all in the last ten percent. Frets aren't awful, but they could be a little smoother. Still better than the razor blade edges coming off some of the other guitars at this price range. Neck feels good, smooth gloss finish on the back which is my personal preference. Intonation was "close enough" out of the box, I'll dig into that one I get home.

Overall, great first impression, I'll give it a good couple hours of play tonight once I get home.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

White Dog Eggs posted:

I know literally nothing about bags so take this with a pinch of salt, but I've been told by a couple of fairly experienced professional musicians that if you want a good gig-bag, head to a leather-worker/case-maker and see how much they'd charge to make up something custom. This one guy had the most bad-rear end gig bag I've ever seen. Brown leather, everything double or triple stitched, absurdly padded and lined inside with something that looked like what you'd see on a padded cell, it was awesome. He didn't tell me exactly how much it was (never a good sign) but he said that it was less than a lot of brand-name stuff. It was pretty heavy though.

I might look into something like that down the line a bit - for the time being I settled on a pretty cheap Guardian double bag from Amazon; the handle construction looks pretty decent (attached to the outsides instead of just the center), and the specs say it has pretty thick padding, so hopefully it'll hold up for awhile until I can splurge on something sillier.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat
Cyber-Guitar! He's even got a bitchin' cyber-exosuit arm thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kQ7RqGxFLw
All it needs is a cyborg dolphin and it'd be just like Johnny Mnemonic, probably.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

The original ugly guitar is going up for auction:

Les Paul's original prototype guitar. It's ugly as poo poo, and probably going to sell for millions.

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!
Oh come on, comparatively that's playable as poo poo.

White Dog Eggs posted:

Cyber-Guitar! He's even got a bitchin' cyber-exosuit arm thing.
God knows what the music world needs is more innovators innovating wearable midis to turn awkward nerd dancing into awkward unlistenable noise spooge.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Dirt posted:

Les Paul's original prototype guitar. It's ugly as poo poo, and probably going to sell for millions.

that is really loving ugly somehow the mass produced ones are actually nicer

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Dirt posted:

that relic job is understated, very nice craftsmanship

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
New for 2015:

Yours for only $2599!

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Chalupa Joe posted:

New for 2015:

Yours for only $2599!
these new transformers are ridiculous. what does it look like as a robot?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

satanic splash-back posted:

that relic job is understated, very nice craftsmanship

lol

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Chalupa Joe posted:

New for 2015:

Yours for only $2599!

The pickup rings aren't even aligned with each other. Top-notch Gibson Craftsmanship right there.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
So are all Gibsons going to be robot guitars from now on?

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

kjetting posted:

So are all Gibsons going to be robot guitars from now on?

Yes. It's the future!

Dirt posted:

Wonder what all those knobs do? Les Paul was quite keen on electrical fuckery....

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Up top is a microphone-in and a volume knob for it, that probably isn't a pickup switch anymore. it's hard to tell what's behind the control plate since he always, always changed things.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I want to become a millionaire, buy the original Les Paul/Telecaster/Whatever prototype and record a video of me playing Wonderwall really poorly on it.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

sout posted:

I want to become a millionaire, buy the original Les Paul/Telecaster/Whatever prototype and record a video of me playing Wonderwall really poorly on it.

Afterwards you start making some modifications to make it look closer to a JEM, exhaustively documenting each step of the way.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Chalupa Joe posted:

New for 2015:

Yours for only $2599!

That is loving nasty and not in the good way.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
That rosewood board looks like poo poo too. I've got better rosewood on a mexi strat.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

unlawfulsoup posted:

Afterwards you start making some modifications to make it look closer to a JEM, exhaustively documenting each step of the way.

in the final video when the conversion is finished, you throw it into a wood chipper and burn the remains

Dirt
May 26, 2003

HollisBrown posted:

That rosewood board looks like poo poo too. I've got better rosewood on a mexi strat.

Pretty sure they used "baked maple" fretboards(aka a burned piece of maple) now too, or richlite(fake ebony made of compressed and dyed wood scraps, I think) instead of rosewood. Like my 700 Dollar Les Paul may or may not have a baked maple fretboard(conflicting reports). It looks/feels/sounds the same as anything else though, looks like a lighter piece of rosewood.

Where as my new 300 dollar Squire Jaguar has a perfectly sexy looking, super dark piece of rosewood for the fretboard.

Gibson kinda sucks now. But if you can get their stuff for cheap it owns(see: my 700 dollar Les Paul).

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I wish all of my guitar necks were made of baked maple, but it doesn't look so hot for fretboards. in any case, it hink gibson is mostly back to rosewood for boards

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Dirt posted:

unironically want to recreate this over time with my al-3k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Didn't Gibson get in trouble for a shitload of endangered rosewood a few years back?

For £2600 though I'd want an SG to have 24 frets, better quality binding, neck through construction and bridge humbucker with two P90's above it. Or just alnico Bare Knuckle Black Hawks. Actually how much would that cost from a custom luthier?

• Locked thread