Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

howe_sam posted:

I've always felt Angel's Envy was an overpriced gimmick, but my mom gave me a bottle for Christmas, and I'll be damned it's quite tasty. I still think it's overpriced though.

I was lucky enough to have Angels Envy Cask Strength ($170... a friend bit the bullet and picked one up) and it was downright phenomenal. Great mouthfeel, it just coats your entire mouth. I really shouldn't have opened my Eagle Rare 17 after trying Cask, because it paled in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

LeafHouse posted:

A friend had a bottle of Lagavulin 16 at NYE and while I really enjoy bourbon this scotch was like pure rubbing alcohol. I honestly didn't get any flavor or nose outside of that. It was absolutely terrible to me and the others who tried it but he loved it. I am a huge beer nerd and have been getting into bourbon but most of the scotch I've had I did not enjoy. Is this typical?

I wouldn't say it's typical no, Lagavulin doesn't really smell or taste like rubbing alcohol but it has strong medicinal aromas that you might just not recognize. But hey sounds like you prefer the sweeter bourbon over scotch so whatever floats your boat.

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 2, 2015

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Anyone else try the Cleveland Christmas bourbon? For a cheap blended bourbon it was fantastic.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

spankmeister posted:

I wouldn't say it's typical no, Lagavulin doesn't really smell or taste like rubbing alcohol but it has strong medicinal aromas that you might just not recognize. But hey sounds like you prefer the sweeter bourbon over scotch so whatever floats your boat.

It's very possible my senses were just destroyed after other drinks and food. I'll have to give it another try. I'd like to be able to detect the flavors even if I don't prefer them.

Wolfgang Muthspiel
Aug 1, 2008
Last couple of weeks i've tried Karuizawa, Mars & Hanyu. It's a crying shame these distilleries no longer produce whisky. I really like how most special release Japanese whisky gets released as cask strength as well.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

So hopefully this sort of post isn't frowned upon but I'd like to get more into whiskey. I read the OP and the last few pages.

I've had run of the mill stuff, Jack Daniels, etc. I've had Glenlivet and remember liking it. I was at Costco and took a look at all the whiskeys they had for sale and randomly bought Laphroaig 10. God drat. I thought I could take strong drinks, I often have all sorts of strong "high proof" beers. This made me honestly gag on just a small sip. Wayyy too smoky/peaty for me. Of course, I'm kinda sad cause no way I'm going to even work into this bottle let alone finish it. It was only 33 bucks or something, but still.

That being said, I'm assuming I would be better served with something from the OP like Johnnie Walker or Glenlivet? Any other good suggestions for something I could get from Costco that's much easier drinking for a pansy like me who apparently cant handle peaty whiskeys?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Trisk posted:

That being said, I'm assuming I would be better served with something from the OP like Johnnie Walker or Glenlivet? Any other good suggestions for something I could get from Costco that's much easier drinking for a pansy like me who apparently cant handle peaty whiskeys?

Are you looking specifically at scotch whiskys? If you're starting from glenlivet, maybe try glenfiddich 12. I think I saw it last time I was at costco. I think the price is about the same as glenlivet.

Also, I wish laphroaig 10 was only $33 :(

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Trisk posted:

I've had run of the mill stuff, Jack Daniels, etc. I've had Glenlivet and remember liking it. I was at Costco and took a look at all the whiskeys they had for sale and randomly bought Laphroaig 10. God drat. I thought I could take strong drinks, I often have all sorts of strong "high proof" beers. This made me honestly gag on just a small sip. Wayyy too smoky/peaty for me. Of course, I'm kinda sad cause no way I'm going to even work into this bottle let alone finish it. It was only 33 bucks or something, but still.

I'd keep the bottle around and come back to it. I was a beer drinker only for most of my adult life so far and just decided at random I'd like to figure out whisky, having not had any since I used to drink Crown Royal in High School/University. My first bottle was Laphroaig Quarter Cask (very similar to the Laphroaig 10yo) and my overwhelming reaction to my first sip was that I made a huge mistake and wasted $45. It was like licking the site of a campfire in the woods. By the time I finished the glass I had warmed up to it a little but I was still fairly skeptical. By the time I was halfway done the bottle (no this was not the same day) I was getting into it. Now, having tried several more scotches of various origins and some bourbons, Islay scotch (i.e. Laphroaig) is my favourite kind (and I rarely drink beer anymore).

Maybe after you adjust to the higher alcohol you'll find it a bit easier to take. Also, did you try adding a few good drops of water to the glass? I found that eased the initial burn and opened it up for me.

On an unrelated note I just picked up a bottle of Peat Monster and I'm amazed at how light in colour it is. It's really tasty, too. It's probably really lame to say so but I love the bottle label.

gwrtheyrn posted:

Also, I wish laphroaig 10 was only $33 :(

This too.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Trisk posted:

So hopefully this sort of post isn't frowned upon but I'd like to get more into whiskey. I read the OP and the last few pages.

I drink a lot of stuff now but still can't handle peaty whiskys and Laphroiag is one of the smokiest.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ChetReckless posted:

On an unrelated note I just picked up a bottle of Peat Monster and I'm amazed at how light in colour it is. It's really tasty, too. It's probably really lame to say so but I love the bottle label.

Goes to show how much colorant there can be in some whiskies.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

That Works posted:

I drink a lot of stuff now but still can't handle peaty whiskys and Laphroiag is one of the smokiest.

I drink lots of stuff too and I still don't like a lot of high ppm Islays (specifically Ardbeg 10 and its "all smoke, all the way down" palate). I totally understand their appeal but more balanced drams are just so much more tasty to me. Try something like Connemara or Peat Monster (which is honestly not as peaty as the name suggests) if you want a better introduction to smoky whiskys.

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006

ChetReckless posted:

All of Compass Box's packaging look pretty great the have a neat aesthetic going.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
I just got a bottle of Lagavulin 16 as a gift. It is fantastic. Strong peat taste as per reviewers but it goes down easy.

Any suggestions on where I should go from there?

edit: Mostly looking for Scotches. I hear Glenlivet is great but has an even stronger smokey peat taste to it then Lagavulin.

TopHatGenius fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 6, 2015

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

TopHatGenius posted:

I just got a bottle of Lagavulin 16 as a gift. It is fantastic. Strong peat taste as per reviewers but it goes down easy.

Any suggestions on where I should go from there?

edit: Mostly looking for Scotches. I hear Glenlivet is great but has an even stronger smokey peat taste to it then Lagavulin.

Glenlivet is actually a very mild, fruity whisky with nary a hint of smoke to it. As for where to go from there, well, are you interested in further ventures into peat, or trying something different?

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Glenlivet is actually a very mild, fruity whisky with nary a hint of smoke to it. As for where to go from there, well, are you interested in further ventures into peat, or trying something different?

I was thinking going somewhere different. I do like peat but I'd like to broaden my horizons.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

TopHatGenius posted:

I hear Glenlivet is great but has an even stronger smokey peat taste to it then Lagavulin.

Nope, pretty much the opposite.

Lelorox
Jul 28, 2013

BFC SLACKER 2014
Speaking of peated whiskey. I just picked up a bottle of Longrow Peated (http://www.springbankwhisky.com/whisky/longrow/peated/ .) I've missed that smokey taste. I spent the last year in Japan and the closest I could get was the Suntory Hakushu 12 year.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Lelorox posted:

Speaking of peated whiskey. I just picked up a bottle of Longrow Peated (http://www.springbankwhisky.com/whisky/longrow/peated/ .) I've missed that smokey taste. I spent the last year in Japan and the closest I could get was the Suntory Hakushu 12 year.

This one is next on my list after finishing my Springbank 10. I'm interested to know what you think of it!

Lelorox
Jul 28, 2013

BFC SLACKER 2014

Caddrel posted:

This one is next on my list after finishing my Springbank 10. I'm interested to know what you think of it!

I'll have a glass after work and let you know. The last few glasses I had were over Christmas and New Years and the flavors (aside from the smokey flavor) are kind of a blur.

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Looking for recommendations for Japanese whiskey. In the $100-120 range in California.

I don't know much about whiskey. But having lasik and told my friend I would buy him some whiskey when we go down there for being my driver.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

electricsugar
Jan 21, 2008

Tum again?
I love Japanese whiskey. The last one I tried was Yamazaki 12

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/yamazaki-12-year-old-whisky/

I really enjoyed it. Smooth, rich, full of flavour. Reminded me of a nice bourbon.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

electricsugar posted:

I love Japanese whiskey. The last one I tried was Yamazaki 12

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/yamazaki-12-year-old-whisky/

I really enjoyed it. Smooth, rich, full of flavour. Reminded me of a nice bourbon.

Agreed. I haven't had it in years, as it's sinfully expensive, but it was delicious.

On an unrelated note, invested in some Johnnie Walker Double Black today. Really enjoying it, doubly so since the last Black Label I had seemed a little one-note.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:

donkey salami posted:

Looking for recommendations for Japanese whiskey. In the $100-120 range in California.

I don't know much about whiskey. But having lasik and told my friend I would buy him some whiskey when we go down there for being my driver.

+1 more for yamazaki 12 year old. I massively enjoy it and as an added bonus 2 people who've never tried whiskey both liked it as their first, so it's definitely an approachable flavor profile

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Distorted Kiwi posted:

On an unrelated note, invested in some Johnnie Walker Double Black today. Really enjoying it, doubly so since the last Black Label I had seemed a little one-note.
I got some Double Black on sale last time I was passing through the Cancun airport a couple months ago. I taste-tested it against Gold and honestly found Double Black to be the tastier of the two. I should really crack that open soon.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hmm interesting. I think double black is one-note compared to regular black.

It's more smoke and wood but it lacks a bit of depth the black has.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

spankmeister posted:

Hmm interesting. I think double black is one-note compared to regular black.

It's more smoke and wood but it lacks a bit of depth the black has.
I'm not sure that Double Black is going to replace Black as my liquor cabinet fixture, especially where it's $22 CAD more per bottle where I live, but compared to the Gold ($5 more per bottle than DB) I'll take it.

I probably wouldn't buy DB over Black again except on sale but maybe this bottle will win me over.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I wouldn't buy another bottle either honestly. I prefer the normal Black.

While the double black is better in some areas, it's lacking in others making the regular black a more balanced whisky, IMHO.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

spankmeister posted:

I wouldn't buy another bottle either honestly. I prefer the normal Black.

While the double black is better in some areas, it's lacking in others making the regular black a more balanced whisky, IMHO.

I had the same impression of the Double Black. It's just not a good value IMO, especially since there's a bunch of peaty single-malts that you can get for just a few bucks more.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
Wheras in Kiwiland, it's excellent value, being only NZ$5 (US$3.90) more per bottle than the Black Label. The Gold Label is nearly three times more expensive, and is actually more expensive than Lagavulin 16.

I've never really understood the pricing differences down here, apart from one rule of thumb. If a single malt is suddenly half it's usual price, avoid it. It will have been shipped first to India, sat on the docks in bakingly hot containers for a few months, then re-shipped in New Zealand. Enjoy!

I'm happy with my purchase.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

donkey salami posted:

All the Japanese whisky that you can get in the US is good, so grab whatever fits your price range best.

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Thanks for the tips! I'm going to look for the yamazaki 12 first then go from there

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

spankmeister posted:

Goes to show how much colorant there can be in some whiskies.

Just another reason to buy bourbon whiskey instead!

msghall1229
Jan 13, 2015

Just Left of Boom!
Why didn't this discussion include Moonshine? It's whiskey.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

msghall1229 posted:

Because we are not toothless hillbillies or sorority girls looking for peach-flavored swill to make the next time the Alpha-Varsigma-Varsigma boys drop by more tolerable. :colbert:

You know what is fun? Paying VA ABC prices for Scotch and other spirits. I traveled to Arizona for Christmas and was reminded how cheaply I could stock my liquor cabinet there, and I bought lots of bottle to bring home. Got another bottle of Lagavulin 16 from Costco for $44... VA price? $102. I grabbed a fifth a handle of Bulliet bourbon for $30 (VA $60), and my wife demanded I buy the Glenlivet gift box of the 12, 15 year French Oak, and 18 for $115 ($45, $60, and $104 = $209). Heck, I think Glenlivet is kinda soft and boring, but for those prices I wasn't going to complain.

At least we got neato stuff like Wasmund's Single Malt Whisky, and more importantly Reservoir Bourbon and Rye here. Shame it costs ~$45 for 375ml.

Though my inner leftist is glad the high prices are easy to funnel to local schools and infrastructures, I must admit I wouldn't mind the yokels in the State legislature opening up the way for Total Wine and Costco to clean house here. Raise my property taxes or something for gently caress's sake.

Turnquiet fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 16, 2015

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

JewKiller 3000 posted:

Just another reason to buy bourbon whiskey instead!

Nah.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Turnquiet posted:

Because we are not toothless hillbillies or sorority girls looking for peach-flavored swill to make the next time the Alpha-Varsigma-Varsigma boys drop by more tolerable. :colbert:

You know what is fun? Paying VA ABC prices for Scotch and other spirits. I traveled to Arizona for Christmas and was reminded how cheaply I could stock my liquor cabinet there, and I bought lots of bottle to bring home. Got another bottle of Lagavulin 16 from Costco for $44... VA price? $102. I grabbed a fifth of Bulliet bourbon for $30 (VA $60), and my wife demanded I buy the Glenlivet gift box of the 12, 15 year French Oak, and 18 for $115 ($45, $60, and $104 = $209). Heck, I think Glenlivet is kinda soft and boring, but for those prices I wasn't going to complain.

At least we got neato stuff like Wasmund's Single Malt Whisky, and more importantly Reservoir Bourbon and Rye here. Shame it costs ~$45 for 375ml.

Though my inner leftist is glad the high prices are easy to funnel to local schools and infrastructures, I must admit I wouldn't mind the yokels in the State legislature opening up the way for Total Wine and Costco to clean house here. Raise my property taxes or something for gently caress's sake.

:eyepop:

and I thought stuff was expensive here after I moved

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

msghall1229 posted:

I have a mason jar (ugh) of Ole Smokey, Buffalo Trace White Dog (#1) and Heaven Hill Trybox. Maybe once a month, if that, do I drink or mix it. Honestly they're not that good. I do recommened whiskey fans try a fresh whiskey though just to compare what barrel aging really does (spoiler: a lot).

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
Moonshine is basically unaged bourbon with lovely flavorings added sometimes. It's terrible.

msghall1229
Jan 13, 2015

Just Left of Boom!

Above Our Own posted:

Moonshine is basically unaged bourbon with lovely flavorings added sometimes. It's terrible.

Guess it comes down to where you get it. Stuff I get is about 10 years old and smooth as a fine scotch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Turnquiet posted:

You know what is fun? Paying VA ABC prices for Scotch and other spirits.

Take a short trip tro MoCo: http://www2.montgomerycountymd.gov/dlcsearch/