Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

I'm enjoying this run a lot, and it's fun to watch small videogame men fly around the screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Young Orc

SeXReX posted:

but mean bean is like a souless husk of true Puyo Puyo tsu rules.

basically they need more Puyo yoco windjammers critter crunch and Kirby's Dream course and less smash bros

Oh man, Windjammers would be so good. Bring Jeff down from San Francisco with his neogeo.

Every break between runs should be Windjammers.

tony police
Sep 22, 2006

Critical posted:

poo poo like 100% SMW doesn't bother me because it requires more skill than a regular run. 100% runs where it's just padding the game out by collecting more things need to go.

See my previous "No Rareware games" post. It's just the timing of things seems suspect, like why is 1 handed Vanquish relegated to 3:30am, it's a great semi-unknown game with a lot of subtlety that can be explained by a good commentator, and 1 handed sounds fantastic for bringing in viewers. life aint fair

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I guess there are so many 100% runs because they tend to be long and an easy way to fill up time. It's easy to have one game for like three hours with a runner than try to find six people willing to travel out there to do six half-hour Any% runs.

The Battleblock run is enjoyable, but I can see why people would find three hours of this wearying.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

SeXReX posted:

but mean bean is like a souless husk of true Puyo Puyo tsu rules.

basically they need more Puyo yoco windjammers critter crunch and Kirby's Dream course and less smash bros

The obvious answer is a solid week of Sonic Spinball, that way everyone wins loses.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Young Orc

Dash O Pepper posted:

See my previous "No Rareware games" post. It's just the timing of things seems suspect, like why is 1 handed Vanquish relegated to 3:30am, it's a great semi-unknown game with a lot of subtlety that can be explained by a good commentator, and 1 handed sounds fantastic for bringing in viewers. life aint fair

This is applicable to any game people are passionate about. Scheduling and fundraising are two things that don't always work out together.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Beekeeping and You posted:

I'm enjoying this run a lot, and it's fun to watch small videogame men fly around the screen

I'm enjoying it more for the commentary than anything.

Also wow 200k in straight donations in less than a day and a half is crazy.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Dash O Pepper posted:

President Ark posted:

It's also dependent entirely on who volunteers and what times they can do/when they can be there. If some dude who can stream Awesome Cool Game can only be there for four hours one day out of the marathon, then they're gonna schedule that game for that time, even if it's at 6AM on a tuesday.

tony police
Sep 22, 2006

Rorus Raz posted:

I guess there are so many 100% runs because they tend to be long and an easy way to fill up time. It's easy to have one game for like three hours with a runner than try to find six people willing to travel out there to do six half-hour Any% runs.

The Battleblock run is enjoyable, but I can see why people who find three hours of this wearying.

Agreed, I understand its a necessary evil but that's why I also posted saying the marathon could maybe stand to be less bloated (<1 week). If you want the week long thing do 5 days of solid content then have a bonus stream w/e

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Sonic 6 back to back with Sonic Boom.

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

Dash O Pepper posted:

It's just the timing of things seems suspect

The great speedrun conspiracy. Gimmick at 7am? Wake up sheeple!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Honestly this is worth watching just to hear the devs hating on their own hat design.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

SeXReX posted:

well considering its been 6 months and no one has seen prizes from SGDQ...

oh...

Well, uhmm... Hmm

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!
TBH any run over an hour is pushing it for me personally, I'd sooner watch a Let's Play

At least this year they don't END with the traditional "6 hour JRPG "speed" run"

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Dash O Pepper posted:

Agreed, I understand its a necessary evil but that's why I also posted saying the marathon could maybe stand to be less bloated (<1 week). If you want the week long thing do 5 days of solid content then have a bonus stream w/e

You are aware that people are donating to charity during the marathon and it dies off during the bonus stream, right?

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I'll look at the stats around this run in 3 months and I'll proclaim a victor for this past couple hours of the thread.

The winner will receive a free shout out

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rorus Raz posted:

You have seen the pile of rejected runs, right? If there's one thing they're not lacking is volunteers to fill time.

I think the real travesty is not making Awful Games Done Quick a solid 24 hour block. :colbert:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
"I don't trust any triangle head. drat, that was....borderline racism"

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

At least there's no loving awful Resident Evil run this time.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Bear Sleuth posted:

I am legit bummed I won't be watching Gimmick! live.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Poultron posted:

TBH any run over an hour is pushing it for me personally, I'd sooner watch a Let's Play

At least this year they don't END with the traditional "6 hour JRPG "speed" run"

actually jrpg speedruns are cool

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Studio posted:

I'll look at the stats around this run in 3 months and I'll proclaim a victor for this past couple hours of the thread.

The winner will receive a free shout out

looking forward to it

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Crain posted:

"I don't trust any triangle head. drat, that was....borderline racism"

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Critical posted:

At least there's no loving awful Resident Evil run this time.

uncharted was temporarily resident evil 4

Poultron
May 26, 2006

Gamma Nerd posted:

:yikes:

tony police
Sep 22, 2006

Bear Sleuth posted:

I'm gonna wake up.... for a cool rear end game! Seeing the run a few years ago actually made me go and track down a cart to make a repro of it.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin

net cafe scandal posted:

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

I don't think that's a sincere LOL.

tony police
Sep 22, 2006

SeXReX posted:

Also more info on this please.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

SeXReX posted:

hosed up if true

tony police
Sep 22, 2006

Awful Games Done Quick should be it's own marathon.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Swan Curry posted:

I don't think that's a sincere LOL.

It's going on the board anyways. If you don't want your poo poo mis-categorized, properly tag your sarcasm.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Dash O Pepper posted:

Awful Games Done Quick should be it's own marathon.

and game number one....... should be Battle Block Theater :twisted:

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Gamma Nerd posted:

jrpg speedrun ROUTES are cool in a "statistics word problem" sort of way where you have to figure out the lowest level you can get through the game while maintaining acceptable odds of victory

doing the run itself?

gently caress YEAH I LOVE RANDOM ENCOUNTERS making GBS threads ON MY TIME.

tony police
Sep 22, 2006

absolutely anything posted:

:eyepop:

Poultron
May 26, 2006

24 hour Awful Game Done Quick marathon.. the only game featured.... Rocket Knight Adventures... :mrgw:

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Poultron posted:

24 hour Awful Game Done Quick marathon.. the only game featured.... Rocket Knight Adventures... :mrgw:

no!!!!!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

SeXReX posted:

jrpg speedrun ROUTES are cool in a "statistics word problem" sort of way where you have to figure out the lowest level you can get through the game while maintaining acceptable odds of victory

doing the run itself?

I agree. The concept and the planning is interesting, the execution not so much. Plus they tend to be long.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

drat sick joke better empty quote this 50 times.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
I was a little bummed that the runs for later tonight looked kinda bland, but at least I get to fall asleep to some BroForce and Metal Slug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

SeXReX posted:

doing the run itself?

sometimes the game gets really glitchy in a uniquely cool JRPG way, and that's great. i agree that random encounters suck though

• Locked thread