Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Internet Kraken posted:

drat sick joke better empty quote this 50 times.
X50

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Studio posted:

I'll look at the stats around this run in 3 months and I'll proclaim a victor for this past couple hours of the thread.

The winner will receive a free shout out

if you die on the last boss of risk of rain again you're going to make me look bad to my friends who i hyped the run up to, so please don't

wrt battleblock: i kind of dont want to play the game anymore because these guys are so good at it

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Gamma Nerd posted:

sometimes the game gets really glitchy in a uniquely cool JRPG way, and that's great. i agree that random encounters suck though

That reminds me. Are there any Bravely Default runs? Since at any time you can adjust the encounter rate as low as you want it seems like it'd be interesting to route with incredibly low levels.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
I don't really know or care what's going on in this game but these guys are making it enjoyable enough.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

my prob with BBT the game is that games whose levels are made in the level editor that ships with the game always feel bland to me and lose my interest after a while

I know some people love that though

the run is entertaining enough

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Critical posted:

At least there's no loving awful Resident Evil run this time.

my boy tekkie's doing silent hill which is kinda like a resident evil so gently caress you nerd

survival horror speedruns rule

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

I just treat runs I personally don't want to watch as a good time to go do something else for a while, the marathon is like a week long not every single part of it has to be specifically tailored to me

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the marathon is for everybody but i demand they do a parasite eve run for me and show all the cutscenes of mutant rats and people turning into tang

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
As I'm paying attention I'm noticing more and more cool stuff.

E: Aww I just noticed why they were changing faces. They made themselves!

fart barterer fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 6, 2015

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Man I just noticed the in-game faces were the runners, that's really nice

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Red Red Blue posted:

I just treat runs I personally don't want to watch as a good time to go do something else for a while, the marathon is like a week long not every single part of it has to be specifically tailored to me

excuse me but you aren't allowed to make sensible decisions like a normal person, please complain incessantly whenever a game is being run that you don't enjoy or get out of the thread

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

SeXReX posted:

jrpg speedrun ROUTES are cool in a "statistics word problem" sort of way where you have to figure out the lowest level you can get through the game while maintaining acceptable odds of victory

doing the run itself?

gently caress YEAH I LOVE RANDOM ENCOUNTERS making GBS threads ON MY TIME.

The Final Fantasy 1 run is neat from a technical perspective since they have the internals of the game completely figured out. The reality of the run is a lot of grinding and walking back and forth over the same two tiles while running away from battles to get the encounter table to the right place before they enter the next area.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

androo posted:

As I'm paying attention I'm noticing more and more cool stuff.
Like deleting part of the level and glitching through walls. The tricks they're pulling off here are insane.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Xenogears 100% for next year's finale.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!
This is a Good Run of a Good Game.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Tracula posted:

That reminds me. Are there any Bravely Default runs? Since at any time you can adjust the encounter rate as low as you want it seems like it'd be interesting to route with incredibly low levels.

I liked BD even though I never finished it but this sounds like the worst idea ever. You need to play through the same bosses, what, like 9 times?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
"I really like this puzzle" "...me too." "...I haven't seen it done that way."

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Quest For Glory II posted:

the marathon is for everybody but i demand they do a parasite eve run for me and show all the cutscenes of mutant rats and people turning into tang

Carcinogen has been practicing it a lot lately, you might get that in the future.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Poultron posted:

This is a Good Run of a Good Game.

I kinda want tos ee a speed run of castle crashers now.

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
This game could have easily been in the Wario Ware universe

How is this so long.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Al Borland posted:

I think there's far too much autoscrolling in that for it be worth it.

CarpetCrawler
Feb 18, 2013

Al Borland posted:

It happened a few years back (I think feasel and duckfist were amongst the folks involved) and if I remember correctly it flopped pretty badly, which surprised people considering the runners involved. But this was many years ago and I imagine someone remembers it better than I.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Someone's microphone keeps loving popping.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Mike donation :3:

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Al Borland posted:

they used to do this all the time in the early years but it was always just a bad let's play so they stopped

CarpetCrawler
Feb 18, 2013

Sir Tonk posted:

Mike donation :3:

:unsmith: I'm glad that we got to hear from him.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Well at least he has mono and not something worse

that said mono is some loving garbage

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!

Al Borland posted:

AGDQ 2011 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhDVKt8CeEw

How things change

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sir Tonk posted:

Xenogears 100% for next year's finale.

I thought we stopped talking about an Awful Games Done Quick marathon

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Yeah UltraMan was still allowed in the building.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

FIX THAT ASSHOLES MIC!

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

IcePhoenix posted:

What you don't like reading or something?

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

IcePhoenix posted:

on that topic FF 13 speed run.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

dragon enthusiast posted:

uncharted was temporarily resident evil 4

Uncharted was legit interesting and last year's RE4 run was pretty bad, didn't he use New Game+ weapons and poo poo that trivialized the whole game?

Dias posted:

I agree. The concept and the planning is interesting, the execution not so much. Plus they tend to be long.

I think the issue with JRPG runs is that if you haven't played the game you don't really understand what's going on even if the commentator is really good. Usually when they run JRPGs I watch it with a friend who loves them and he goes into all of the specific details of what exactly is skipped and I get somewhat of a sense of what just happened but ultimately I'm still :what: about it. When you're not walking on air, moving at speeds that anyone can clearly see wasn't intended or clipping through poo poo it really just becomes a playthrough for most people.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Secret of mana might work as a speed run...

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

JRPG speedruns are take it or leave it usually, but I implore everyone to watch the FF7 speedrun later this week, you won't be disappointed.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Go die!

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Paper Mario as the finale to SGDQ was kind of rough

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Amazing improv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Sire Oblivion posted:

didn't he use New Game+ weapons and poo poo that trivialized the whole game?

Allowing previous save data? gently caress that, that's no run.

Sanic 3 any%!~ using saved data

Loads credit scene, ties for WR with a run time of 00:00:00

• Locked thread