Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ahahaha, so is their (Conservative Political Cartoonists) reality or our reality Bizarro-world?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Jerusalem posted:

Ahahaha, so is their reality or our reality Bizarro-world?

This one's honestly a little hard to read. The fact that "Final Nail" is in quotes and the many other nails makes it clear that he doesn't believe the embargo was working or doing anything that would lead to democracy; there were just too many other things in the way. But the fact that removing the embargo is a nail in the coffin at all makes it seem he believes that the embargo was still a good thing in some way.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
"Any day now" is a cornerstone of conservative political philosophy. It applies to so many things.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

The joke is that she responds to all the acronyms with an acronym of her own. But "lolz" isn't itself an acronym, it's a terrible Internet conjugation of the acronym for "laugh out loud." The hell does the Z stand for? Or maybe I'm not up to date with Muir's hip lingo, perhaps "LOLZ" stands for something else entirely. Probably about Zed. Or maybe he hosed up his own joke, who knows?

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
As a patent clerk, wasn't Edison the government man himself? If anything he's an example of a corrupt government stooge loving over the little guy.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Suitaru posted:

The joke is that she responds to all the acronyms with an acronym of her own. But "lolz" isn't itself an acronym, it's a terrible Internet conjugation of the acronym for "laugh out loud." The hell does the Z stand for? Or maybe I'm not up to date with Muir's hip lingo, perhaps "LOLZ" stands for something else entirely. Probably about Zed. Or maybe he hosed up his own joke, who knows?

Also, lolz or lulz is a (plurale tantum) noun, not a verb.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Karnegal posted:

As a patent clerk, wasn't Edison the government man himself? If anything he's an example of a corrupt government stooge loving over the little guy.

That's literally what happened. Edison used to work a desk, steal patents from applicants, and resubmit them under his own name.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Darkman Fanpage posted:

This one guy made a thing one time and now we can never improve on it gently caress you if you try.

Well hey, that's all three Abrahamic religions in a nutshell!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Removing the embargo is the final step before we can ship Cuba a big box of democracy via new economic pressures. agc.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

I was compelled to do this, I really can't explain why. You lot have loving infected me. :smith:

Also, I hope you all enjoyed your first Thomas but don't let Taciturn Tactician's post lead you into thinking he's a one trick pony - no, along with his hatred of migrants he also has a truly lovecraftian sense of scale:

He can't draw people for poo poo either, unless those people are either Bod or Postman Pat.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
nah guys Edison was obviously a CAPTAIN OF INDUSTRY who worked 20 hours a day unlike that lazy shiftless serb Tesla.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jurgan posted:

I'm thinking dress-wearing elephant.

Rorus, you are needed.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Nikola Tesla posted:

The year 2100 will see eugenics universally established. In past ages, the law governing the survival of the fittest roughly weeded out the less desirable strains. Then man’s new sense of pity began to interfere with the ruthless workings of nature. As a result, we continue to keep alive and to breed the unfit. The only method compatible with our notions of civilization and the race is to prevent the breeding of the unfit by sterilization and the deliberate guidance of the mating instinct. Several European countries and a number of states of the American Union sterilize the criminal and the insane. This is not sufficient. The trend of opinion among eugenists is that we must make marriage more difficult. Certainly no one who is not a desirable parent should be permitted to produce progeny. A century from now it will no more occur to a normal person to mate with a person eugenically unfit than to marry a habitual criminal.

seeing nerds lionize him just because Edison was a douchebag is pretty annoying.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

FTR I only added the Tesla bit because I like saying the phrase "lazy, shiftless [ethnicity]" I actually don't care much for Tesla.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Small Frozen Thing posted:

seeing nerds lionize him just because Edison was a douchebag is pretty annoying.

I don't know, that was a pretty popular scientific idea then, it's not like that's especially damning given the context. I mean don't get me wrong Tesla was absolutely not perfect but "he supported what seemed like sensible, ethical science at the time but turned out to be terrible" doesn't seem that bad to me.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

"He had some bad ideas" also does not counter out the good ideas he had regarding other things. Just makes him not exactly a person you want to have a conversation with.

Terex
Jan 2, 2013
Drew Sheneman works for NewJersey.com (https://www.nj.com), a collection of new Jersey newspapers. While often mistaken for Ramierez due to his use of cross hatching, he has Good Opinions and often draws about Governor Chris Christie. He has been an editorial cartoonist in New Jersey since 1998.

It'll be fun to watch the race to the bottom that's about to ensue as these two grovel and beg for the limited pool of GOP donors. Let the pandering begin in 5...4...3...2...

I am a Philadelphia Eagles fan. It's not something I chose, because who would. [...] That's why it always mystifies me when someone, like our esteemed Governor, feels justified in picking a team to which they have no familial or geographical association. This is football, not Chipotle. YOU DON'T GET TO CHOOSE! You root for the team you were born with, not the one with the coolest helmets! Your team is something inflicted upon you, not chosen on a whim. Your team is something to be endured, lamented and occasionally, if you're lucky or a Patriots fan, celebrated.

Christie was born and raised in Jersey. He should have spent his weekend hammering ten penny nails into a John Idzik voodoo doll or texting Jerry Reese a list of free-agent offensive linemen, not hugging Jerry Jones' waxy head in an Arlington, TX luxury box.

The first summit he attends is gonna go pear shaped as soon as he tells Putin to "Sit down and shut the hell up!"

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

You know, Muir jumps from one issue to another so often and so without closure that I have to wonder what the ratio is for standard conservative talking points versus really obscure or outright false stuff that only a few talk about, or to matters of actual public discourse. I imagine it's 50:49:1 or so. At least the other conservative cartoonists keep harping on the same poo poo repeatedly (and in tandem, I wonder if there's a schedule or something; they kept talking about Benghazi way after it was disproved and put a hell of a lot of focus on Ebola and Gruber for suspiciously similar lengths of time with one another).

e: made sentences less bad.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

And once again I have to ask, on this Nega-D&D politoons thread, do they have an evil version of Pants Donkey?
Slacks Elephant

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Rorus Raz posted:

Slacks Elephant

:vince:

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Rorus Raz posted:

Slacks Elephant

Goldman Slacks?

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I don't know, that was a pretty popular scientific idea then, it's not like that's especially damning given the context. I mean don't get me wrong Tesla was absolutely not perfect but "he supported what seemed like sensible, ethical science at the time but turned out to be terrible" doesn't seem that bad to me.

Edison himself was in favor of eugenics... But not to the point of "our foolish pity has prevented us from removing the untermenschen." It's like Lovecraft's racism, people try to defend it by going "but everyone was racist back then", but really, Lovecraft was racist even by his time's standards.

Shugojin posted:

"He had some bad ideas" also does not counter out the good ideas he had regarding other things. Just makes him not exactly a person you want to have a conversation with.

Tesla had a lot of really good ideas, and a few really stupid ones. Unfortunately for the world, he become obsessed with one of the stupid ones and wasted the last decade of his life trying to do something pointless and silly.

I Killed GBS fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 6, 2015

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Muscle Tracer posted:

Goldman Slacks?
Slackyderm

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Rorus Raz posted:

Slacks Elephant

Rorus Raz posted:

Slackyderm

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Rorus Raz posted:

Slacks Elephant

You are the thing that makes this place worth coming to.

Rorus Raz posted:

Slackyderm

Goddamn man, pace yourself. Can't use all thaty magic all at once.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Edison himself was in favor of eugenics... But not to the point of "our foolish pity has prevented us from removing the untermenschen." It's like Lovecraft's racism, people try to defend it by going "but everyone was racist back then", but really, Lovecraft was racist even by his time's standards.

Tesla had a lot of really good ideas, and a few really stupid ones. Unfortunately for the world, he become obsessed with one of the stupid ones and wasted the last decade of his life trying to do something pointless and silly.

Attempting to experimentally prove quantum physics has broken many a mathematician and physicist. :v:

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems
In the spirit of the new thread, I went looking for what local cartoonists the Twin Cities have (other than Steve Sack, who I honestly quite like but already gets posted pretty regularly). Thus, I found Kirk Anderson, who was on staff at the St. Paul Pioneer Press for 8 years (apparently mostly during the late 90s and early 2000s). He has very, very Good Opinions, and still puts out one or two cartoons a year:

... but other than the odd cartoon has more or less stopped drawing (he had I think 2 in 2014, 1 in 2013, 1 in 2011 and then none between then and 2004).

However. If you go back to the Bush years, he has some :drat: cartoons that would make Priggee jealous. Some of them are pretty dated:

...but many, many, MANY others are still so ridiculously relevant that I had to double-check that they were posted ten years ago, and not ten weeks:

(I literally shouted "holy poo poo!" out loud when I saw this)

It's a shame he's stopped; I feel like he would be one of the thread favorites, up there with Bennett, were he still active.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Political Cartoons 2015: Sometimes You Just Gotta Lolz

:stare:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The weird thing about lovecraft is he probably wouldn't have been anywhere near as good at portraying terrifying unknowns had he not been so goddamn xenophobic in real life. I don't know how I feel about this.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Holy gently caress, that's hard-hitting. :smith:

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

Rorus Raz posted:

Slacks Elephant

Elepant?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I really like the lettering on these two, it adds a nice extra touch to the feel of the cartoon.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Rorus Raz posted:

Slacks Elephant

God bless you sir hahaha

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

The weird thing about lovecraft is he probably wouldn't have been anywhere near as good at portraying terrifying unknowns had he not been so goddamn xenophobic in real life. I don't know how I feel about this.

Innsmouth is by far my favorite concept by him and it really only is so memorable because of his grotesque racism.
EDIT - I say concept because I think Lovecraft's work functions best as a setting, a setting other better writers can work with. Speaking of which, is there any other writer for whom actual writers can basically sell fanfiction of their works?

Dr. Killjoy fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 6, 2015

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

Occultatio posted:

In the spirit of the new thread, I went looking for what local cartoonists the Twin Cities have (other than Steve Sack, who I honestly quite like but already gets posted pretty regularly). Thus, I found Kirk Anderson, who was on staff at the St. Paul Pioneer Press for 8 years (apparently mostly during the late 90s and early 2000s). He has very, very Good Opinions, and still puts out one or two cartoons a year:

(I literally shouted "holy poo poo!" out loud when I saw this)

It's a shame he's stopped; I feel like he would be one of the thread favorites, up there with Bennett, were he still active.

I remember that first one making waves when it was posted last year.

That last one is straight up uncomfortable.

That's exactly what Rall wants to be and can't pull off.

Nativity In Black fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 6, 2015

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Here's another unfortunately timeless one from him.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Here's another unfortunately timeless one from him.

holy poo poo

e: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Wyeth#Christina_Olson

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Innsmouth is by far my favorite concept by him and it really only is so memorable because of his grotesque racism.
EDIT - I say concept because I think Lovecraft's work functions best as a setting, a setting other better writers can work with. Speaking of which, is there any other writer for whom actual writers can basically sell fanfiction of their works?

Stephanie Meyer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Jacques-Louis David, 1794

• Locked thread