Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So apparently there is no Star Wars Rebels this week (unless you count the standard airing of Path of the Jedi). :smith:

The latest Rebels Recon did have a brief teaser clip of Idiot's Array though. Is that motherfucking Lando as was rumored?

Has to be. :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So apparently there is no Star Wars Rebels this week (unless you count the standard airing of Path of the Jedi). :smith:

The latest Rebels Recon did have a brief teaser clip of Idiot's Array though. Is that motherfucking Lando as was rumored?

Yeah, that's totally Lando. Also, an Idiot's Array is an actual hand in Sabacc (Star Wars poker) so the writers on this show really know their weird EU.

tin can made man fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jan 6, 2015

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

tin can made man posted:

Yeah, that's totally Lando. Also, an Idiot's Array is an actual hand in Sabacc (Star Wars poker) so the writers on this shoe really know their weird EU.

if that's the case then who's got the Idiot's Array? Lando or Zeb?

For this weeks episode, that was nice. It's always good to see (or hear in this case) Yoda doing Yoda things because I think when the Inquisitor first appeared I was like "whoa it's like the cave Luke goes into on Dagobah, this is gonna be a good episode :munch:" and I was not disappointed

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Aces High posted:

if that's the case then who's got the Idiot's Array? Lando or Zeb?

You know who, baby.

edit: Though that would be a spectacular subversion of expectations if Lando actually lost.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jan 6, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

My guess is they lose Chopper and then circumstances and ADVENTURE happens alongside Lando, who then gives Chopper back at the end.

That or they get really desperate and stupid and double-down with The Ghost or something to win Chopper back in a tense but largely incomprehensible sabacc sequence that ends with them winning via Idiot's array.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Cross-Section posted:

You know who, baby.

edit: Though that would be a spectacular subversion of expectations if Lando actually lost.

Would it be though? He did lose the falcon to Han.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Of course he also won Cloud City...

My bet is that Zeb loses Chopper and eventually Lando gives him back because Chopper is an awful, evil droid that no one should want to have!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

That Is nothing a restraining bolt and memory wipe wouldn't fix though.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
I just realised, but if that's Lando as suspected, there's every possibility he could have the Millennium Falcon, depending on whenever he and Han had their poker game.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Astro Nut posted:

I just realised, but if that's Lando as suspected, there's every possibility he could have the Millennium Falcon, depending on whenever he and Han had their poker game.

You wanna be really clever then you end the episode with Lando sitting down to a another game....with Han.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

jng2058 posted:

You wanna be really clever then you end the episode with Lando sitting down to a another game....with Han.

Here's hoping Disney drives over another dump truck full of money to get that voice cameo.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Not sure how I feel about staplegun lightsabers.

:commissar:
(Formerly Colonial Air Force)

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Colonial Air Force posted:

I like it tbh. Hes trying to be discrete, so it makes sense to me

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Fetus Tree posted:

I like it tbh. Hes trying to be discrete, so it makes sense to me

Yeah, it looks like a piece of junk tech that nobody is going to pay attention to. Honestly not a bad idea to have on a street rat.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

tribbledirigible posted:

Here's hoping Disney drives over another dump truck full of money to get that voice cameo.

considering he's already around for Star Wars VII I am gonna guess "less than you think" :v:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Colonial Air Force posted:

It may be unconventional for a lightsaber, but hand-guard handles were actually pretty common for sabre-type swords IRL.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I'm liking how they managed to have a solid surreal bit. For whatever reason, that is incredibly hard to pull off. Because of the terrible dream sequences in Sopranos it seems like every "prestige" drama needs one so I've had to see some terrible dream sequences. That a pew-pew laser sword cartoon can do it better says good things about this show.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

jng2058 posted:

He doesn't even have to talk. Just CGI models recognizable as him and his buddy standing around and everyone (including me) will completely lose their poo poo. However, per Wookiepedia (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Millennium_Falcon), Rebels is right around the time the prior owner wins it, not loses it, so it would be a bit early. But of course, that's all Legends now. All-in-all, I find it hard to believe they'd show a sabacc game with Lando in/around 5BBY and not take the opportunity to do something regarding Her Hunk-of-Junkness.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I gotta say, after years and years of off-brand Yoda, hearing Frank Oz do the voice again was kind of a revelation. I actually got chills, and it's not like I'm a huge Yoda fan or anything - it was also way more impactful than in any of the prequels for whatever reason!

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

jng2058 posted:

I love these random EU callbacks. :allears:

It won't happen, but I would love if they want whole hog with the EU references and had Lando beat Zeb by bluffing an Idiot's Array, and then have him lose to Han by trying the same trick, but Han having the nerve to hold.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

I gotta say, after years and years of off-brand Yoda, hearing Frank Oz do the voice again was kind of a revelation. I actually got chills, and it's not like I'm a huge Yoda fan or anything - it was also way more impactful than in any of the prequels for whatever reason!

John Lithgow will always be my favourite Yoda. :colbert:

Just because I found it mind-blowing to find out that he had played him in the NPR radio adaptations in 83 and 96.

Lady Gagazula
Aug 13, 2005

Can't read my
Can't read my
No he can't read my
Joker Face
Melman

www.StarWars.com posted:

Asajj Ventress and Quinlan Vos strike back!

StarWars.com is thrilled to reveal the cover art for the upcoming novel Star Wars: Dark Disciple by Christie Golden! Based on a series of scripts originally written for the unaired seventh season of Star Wars: The Clone Wars and starring ex-Sith bounty hunter, Asajj Ventress, and the unorthodox Jedi Quinlan Vos, this new Star Wars tale of love and loss, betrayal and redemption is being produced in creative collaboration with the Lucasfilm Story Group and Dave Filoni, supervising director of The Clone Wars and executive producer of Star Wars Rebels. Star Wars: Dark Disciple hits the shelves on July 7, 2015.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
Huh. Ventress has hair. I always believed her species was just naturally bald.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Dave Syndrome posted:

Some of the Nightsisters in Clone Wars do have hair, but it can be hard to notice through the lighting.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

TheBigBad posted:

Maybe Ezra burns him in some massive epic fail.

That's not too hard to believe.

Even in this episode, the kid's teetering pretty close to going to the Dark Side. While I doubt it would be permanent, I could see him going full dark side for a few episodes.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Lady Gagazula posted:

Asajj Ventress and Quinlan Vos strike back!

I love how this is just EU as gently caress

Lady Gagazula
Aug 13, 2005

Can't read my
Can't read my
No he can't read my
Joker Face
Melman

Dave Syndrome posted:

Ventress transformed from Rattataki to Dathomirian and gained the ability to grow hair. The EU is dead, long live the EU.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Hakkesshu posted:

I love how this is just EU as gently caress

This annoys me a little bit. I was fine with Disney declaring the EU non-canon, especially because it was, by and large, terrible (with a couple of exceptions). But now they are doing the exact same thing the EU was doing...

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Mikl posted:

This annoys me a little bit. I was fine with Disney declaring the EU non-canon, especially because it was, by and large, terrible (with a couple of exceptions). But now they are doing the exact same thing the EU was doing...

Well they weren't going to stop making books/comic/games when they make money were they?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Mikl posted:

MrFlibble posted:

Well they weren't going to stop making books/comic/games when they make money were they?

Its mainly because until Episode 7 establishes where everything is going, the safest option is to fill in the blanks between films again, particularly since a lot of material that previously did so fell into obscurity because it was made pre-internet and all that. Nice, big open slate that lets them either cherry pick from the EU and give it a new coat of paint, explore an actual new story without worrying on old EU continuity, or, as has happened with Son of Dathomir and now this, they can recycle unfinished Clone Wars ideas, which have an established fanbase that is also desperate to see some real closure (outside of 'Revenge of the Sith kills most of these guys').

Edit: Lando Confirmed

Astro Nut fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 12, 2015

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

The episode is also up on WatchDisneyXD. Lando's portrayal was solid, though at times, one may realize that Billy Dee could be just a tad too old to voice a younger version of a character he played 35 years ago. Also, good to see how the Ghost's sensor cloak works in practice. Basically reminds me of that one Freighter ID-assigning side quest in KotOR 2.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Cross-Section posted:

The episode is also up on WatchDisneyXD. Lando's portrayal was solid, though at times, one may realize that Billy Dee could be just a tad too old to voice a younger version of a character he played 35 years ago. Also, good to see how the Ghost's sensor cloak works in practice. Basically reminds me of that one Freighter ID-assigning side quest in KotOR 2.

Just tell me now: Does he show up in the Millennium Falcon?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I believe it was MakingStarWars that pointed out what seems to be a minor character inconsistency in that Lando seems very dismissive of droids and treats them as objects in the OT, and behaves differently toward Chopper and treats him as a conscious being in this episode.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

Just tell me now: Does he show up in the Millennium Falcon?

Nah, that preview clip posted a while ago is his first appearance in the episode. He's actually looking to hire a ship to get him off-planet and back, implying that he doesn't have the Falcon yet (or has already lost it to Han).

feedmyleg posted:

I believe it was MakingStarWars that pointed out what seems to be a minor character inconsistency in that Lando seems very dismissive of droids and treats them as objects in the OT, and behaves differently toward Chopper and treats him as a conscious being in this episode.

I never saw him as particularly prejudiced against droids in ESB nor ROTJ; it should be fairly clear that when he ignores 3PO on the landing platform in the former, it's mainly because he's too distracted by Leia to respond to the droid's greetings. Also, it's 3PO, nobody likes him. :droidsmith:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

It's a few years before Empire. There's plenty enough time for Chopper to sour him on all droids.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
When they met the other ship, my first thought was "The top half looks a bit like Jabba's sail barge. Cool, it's a Hutt ship! I wonder what the Hutts look like in this show..."

Then the ship's owner shows up and it's even better:

They used an old Ralph McQuarrie design he originally did as concept art for Jabba. Also, as a bonus, the guy is voiced by James Hong. Nice.

(sorry for big, timg doesn't seem to work with the spoiler tag)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yup. One of my favorite things about Rebels is that McQuarrie is everywhere. Zeb and Chop are old Chewie/R2 concepts, the shorter paneled TIEs and long-necked Star Destroyers are based on McQ's artwork, and Lothal itself is based on unused concept paintings of Alderaan.

The AT-DP is based on an old AT-ST concept too, but I can't remember if that was a McQ sketch.

Throw in some references to the old Kenner toyline (the imperial APC) and its just great. Probably helps save a bit of time/money in design work too.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
More importantly, Lando is just a user. When he was in charge of Cloud City he didn't need to care about droids.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Shbobdb posted:

More importantly, Lando is just a user. When he was in charge of Cloud City he didn't need to care about droids.

That was how I read his interactions with Chopper; he'd didn't care about the droid, he was just being nice to it because he knew the droid had just been treated rather shabbily by its companions and would probably bend over backwards for someone who treated it respectfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I thought he had a pal on Cloud City who was half-droid.

• Locked thread