Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Considering back-pay wasn't going to be certain, that's not a valid point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

I was talking about teachers unions in general, not just NY. That's great news.

Edit -VVVVVVVVV I agree completely.

Spun Dog fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 5, 2015

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Spun Dog posted:

So, it's ok for one side to come in with an extreme bargaining position, but not the other?
In general I'm not extremely bothered by unions being mean to management. I mean, worst case scenario, they can go home and cry into a glass of whiskey that costs more than I make in a month.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
Hrm but who beats the poo poo out of police unions when they make reasonable demands of their employer????

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

In general I'm not extremely bothered by unions being mean to management. I mean, worst case scenario, they can go home and cry into a glass of whiskey that costs more than I make in a month.

The "management" in this scenario is the public. It's going to be the public's money that's funding these 30% raises. That's who the police are "being mean to".

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The "management" in this scenario is the public. It's going to be the public's money that's funding these 30% raises. That's who the police are "being mean to".
Isn't that an argument against all public sector unions?

Edit: I mean honestly, I'm not trying to be a dick. I'm just shocked how fast people turn into Gilded Age robber barons the second you start talking about police unions.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Who the gently caress was talking about getting rid of them completely? Stay on topic.
Nobody, including me.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 6, 2015

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Who the gently caress was talking about getting rid of them completely? Stay on topic.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I'd be cool with that. gently caress the police.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Rent-A-Cop posted:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Isn't that an argument against all public sector unions?<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Nobody, including me.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Spun Dog posted:

Many teachers would agree with you, but they still do their jobs.

If anyone needs tasers, its high school teachers.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Isn't that an argument against all public sector unions?

Edit: I mean honestly, I'm not trying to be a dick. I'm just shocked how fast people turn into Gilded Age robber barons the second you start talking about police unions.

It's an observation of the situation. It's not an argument against anything. You are applying private-sector union dynamics to a situation where they do not apply. That's all I'm stating.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's an observation of the situation. It's not an argument against anything. You are applying private-sector union dynamics to a situation where they do not apply. That's all I'm stating.
Maybe you're right. I'll admit that I don't know much about collective bargaining in public safety unions. I generally feel like people love to beat up a union as the source of all ills though. Conservatives will blame everything from ADD to bullying on the teacher's unions and liberals seem to have to do the same thingr for police unions. Reflexively I see the unions as the good guys in any dispute but I guess in certain cases it's just bastards all around.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Vaginapocalypse posted:

Also, most of the problems in the world can be attributed to white people

Is this like an essentialism thing or what

Sure it's literally true as an accident of history type of thing but I just want to be sure if I can add "naturally suited for world conquest & rule" to my list of privileges

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 6, 2015

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Maybe you're right. I'll admit that I don't know much about collective bargaining in public safety unions. I generally feel like people love to beat up a union as the source of all ills though. Conservatives will blame everything from ADD to bullying on the teacher's unions and liberals seem to have to do the same thingr for police unions. Reflexively I see the unions as the good guys in any dispute but I guess in certain cases it's just bastards all around.
You have effectively one police force and one labor union. It's monopoly versus monopsony, and there's never going to be a complete equilibrium of power.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Misogynist posted:

You have effectively one police force and one labor union. It's monopoly versus monopsony, and there's never going to be a complete equilibrium of power.
Maybe in NYC, but outside of major cities that isn't true.

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Maybe in NYC, but outside of major cities that isn't true.

hmmm seems like this debate concerns the NYCPBA so

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/n...FlowTwt_LABrand

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.
Depending on the police union, some don't allow management to be actively represented (The typical cutoff is Captain from what I've seen).

Either way the union isn't the issue. Other countries have police unions. It's not like most mayors don't get exactly what they want with their police force either.

I think if you're looking for accountability and to establish oversight that gets hit in the purse strings, create a federal insurance program that is responsible for oversight and allow people to sue it. Then there's a huge incentive outside the local system (also free from local intimidation) and when patterns emerge they have incentive to move forward.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
#notallpoliceunions :qq:

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

If only cops get shot, does that work for or against the whole "less cops dogging people for small infractions is good" thing? Maybe they're having their own killed to show how necessary they are :tinfoil:

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Two officers have been (non-fatally) shot in the Bronx, per the NYT.

Edit: beaten, assumed that the LA affiliate link would've been about something else.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Where in the Bronx? Hopefully, people in Tremont are restoring order and letting the cops know they should be somewhere else.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm just asking because I can imagine an alternate timeline where a butterfly flapped its wings the other way and now we're all talking about how the browns are responsible for all the world's problems and how I hate my job of replacing tiles in the Malik's palace mosaic

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I was talking to my brother about police stuff and he raised the idea of creating civilian auxiliaries to serve as a buffer between police forces and civilian communities. We live down south where this isn't as much of a thing (although some towns, typically wealthier towns with bored retired people, have unarmed citizen patrol units). I'm thinking more like the Guardian Angels or Shomrim. I'm not very familiar with these units up north.

Basically, create a buffer and reduce interactions with the formal police for a lot of the minor stuff. Freeing up cops to handle more important crimes. But the main thing is to reduce the frequency of police and civilian interactions that could turn deadly.

Hey, it's what we do in Afghanistan and Iraq.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

If only cops get shot, does that work for or against the whole "less cops dogging people for small infractions is good" thing? Maybe they're having their own killed to show how necessary they are :tinfoil:
Necessary? Hah! Little do they know...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiSjxn9Z-Bg

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jan 6, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Omi-Polari posted:

I was talking to my brother about police stuff and he raised the idea of creating civilian auxiliaries to serve as a buffer between police forces and civilian communities. We live down south where this isn't as much of a thing (although some towns, typically wealthier towns with bored retired people, have unarmed citizen patrol units). I'm thinking more like the Guardian Angels or Shomrim. I'm not very familiar with these units up north.

Basically, create a buffer and reduce interactions with the formal police for a lot of the minor stuff. Freeing up cops to handle more important crimes. But the main thing is to reduce the frequency of police and civilian interactions that could turn deadly.

The issue with that (I mean, beyond the fact that you're making militias) is that police are often tasked with minor incidents because of reasons other than "no one else is there to do it".

Traffic violations for example are major sources of revenue for cities and while a lot of that could in theory be handled informally it probably also would be a major loss to cities if nothing else changed.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

We should do that and call them Special Action. Goons can get behind the SA, right?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Omi-Polari posted:

I worry that reducing police-citizen interaction would just make those interactions that do happen all the worse.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Xandu posted:

I worry that reducing police-citizen interaction would just make those interactions that do happen all the worse.
That's a good point. But would increasing police-citizen interaction make those interactions better? I'm not so sure.

And this isn't unprecedented. The kinds of organizations I'm talking about (like Shomrim) already exist and are unarmed. We talk about black self-government and self-policing, but people seem really scared of what that would look like in practice. But why not?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Other countries have accountable police forces that lack itchy trigger fingers and have not formed militias.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Omi-Polari posted:

That's a good point. But would increasing police-citizen interaction make those interactions better? I'm not so sure.

I think it's complicated, but there's definitely something to be said for community policing. Just need to make sure it doesn't turn into broken windows.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The basic problem I have is that I don't see a meaningful way to work with the police. What would a group like that do besides legitimize police oppression?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Vahakyla posted:

Other countries have accountable police forces that lack itchy trigger fingers and have not formed militias.
Yeah but those countries aren't America, and America has yet to find a problem it can't solve with union busting and militias.

I mean, it worked so well in Central America for all those years. Why shouldn't it work in NYC?

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Shbobdb posted:

The basic problem I have is that I don't see a meaningful way to work with the police.

This is pretty much it. You have to have a system that has oversight of the police, and the teeth to enforce them. You can't have reform if you don't have oversight, I can't imagine a job on the planet where people wouldn't cross the line if they knew there'd never be consequences.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

bassguitarhero posted:

This is pretty much it. You have to have a system that has oversight of the police, and the teeth to enforce them. You can't have reform if you don't have oversight, I can't imagine a job on the planet where people wouldn't cross the line if they knew there'd never be consequences.
How do you get oversight when the public broadly agrees with the idea that "existing while black" is a crime?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Shbobdb posted:

The basic problem I have is that I don't see a meaningful way to work with the police. What would a group like that do besides legitimize police oppression?
It's basically hyper-local "cops" who people can call to deal with stuff. If the local militia (or volunteer patrol, or whatever you want to call them) think the situation needs the formal police, then they can call them. They'd get informal training from the police. They'd have them on speed dial. It's not rocket science.

If one of these groups dealt with Eric Garner instead of the NYPD, the situation might've turned out differently. Or maybe not. But the general idea is that the citizen's groups have much less leeway when it comes to using force.

I remember when I was in the Castro in S.F. and talked to two men who were part of a gay men's street patrol. They had uniforms and gave me a whistle to blow (har har) in case I got into trouble. And they had a number I could dial. I liked the idea.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
By forming a group dedicated to upholding justice and self-defense? Also, provide free school lunches.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Rent-A-Cop posted:

How do you get oversight when the public broadly agrees with the idea that "existing while black" is a crime?

And therein lies the crux of the central problem with the protests

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Omi-Polari posted:

If one of these groups dealt with Eric Garner instead of the NYPD, the situation might've turned out differently. Or maybe not.
Reminder that one of those hyper-local citizen patrols "dealt with" Trayvon Martin.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Omi-Polari posted:

It's basically hyper-local "cops" who people can call to deal with stuff. If the local militia (or volunteer patrol, or whatever you want to call them) think the situation needs the formal police, then they can call them. They'd get informal training from the police. They'd have them on speed dial. It's not rocket science.

If one of these groups dealt with Eric Garner instead of the NYPD, the situation might've turned out differently. Or maybe not. But the general idea is that the citizen's groups have much less leeway when it comes to using force.

I remember when I was in the Castro in S.F. and talked to two men who were part of a gay men's street patrol. They had uniforms and gave me a whistle to blow (har har) in case I got into trouble. And they had a number I could dial. I liked the idea.

For what it's worth:

quote:

The NYPD Auxiliary Police are civic-minded men and women who volunteer to assist their local Police Precincts, Housing Police Service Areas, and Transit Districts, by performing uniformed patrol in their communities. They are recruited, trained and equipped by the Police Department. They come from many diverse backgrounds and a myriad of occupations throughout the City, such as computer programmers, mechanics, merchants, nurses, security guards, school teachers, students, etc.

Though they're not really involved in enforcement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I wouldn't say that's inherently true, or else you wouldn't get these hyper balkanized communities like Ferguson et all.

The issue is really that in areas with unrest there's a lot of public support (at least usually*) for oppressing minorities, and there's a large disinterest in consolidation of police to some higher level (state, national, etc).

*NYC being the exception, although that seems to be an issue of institutional inertia rather than everyone (outside of Staten Island) saying "gently caress the blacks".

• Locked thread