Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Swan Oat posted:

Apparently people online are mad that teens of 2015 don't know who Paul McCartney is.

even though a bunch of those tweets were sarcastic

good on you, American TV/Radio/Internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Swan Oat posted:

I was really into hybrid theory in middle school, and, papa roach.

when i was in middle school those were also current, except we all made fun of the kids who took cut my life into pieces and crawling in my skin seriously because seriously come on

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

LemonDrizzle posted:

If a linkin park album is one of your great musical touchstones: kill yourself.

Christ, I used to make fun of those idiots for being mall-angst pseudo-rockers...back in college. :corsair:

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Life's short and hard like a body building elf, so save the planet and kill yourself.

Seriously, the Paul/Nirvana song is pretty good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a8j_LEryAs

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

when i was in middle school those were also current, except we all made fun of the kids who took cut my life into pieces and crawling in my skin seriously because seriously come on

oh yeah i dont think anyone liked papa roach sincerely

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

paranoid randroid posted:

oh yeah i dont think anyone liked papa roach sincerely

I had a friend that did

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Many fond memories of listening to blood brothers by papa roach which was part of the tony hawk pro skater 2 soundtrack.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Raskolnikov38 posted:

if you ask a person who was a teenager in the early 00s about linkin park, I imagine the response is similar to the hemming and hawing you'd hear from a German that lived through ww2

I'll fess up to having loved Linkin Park.

Hybrid Theory did nothing wrong.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Raskolnikov38 posted:

if you ask a person who was a teenager in the early 00s about linkin park, I imagine the response is similar to the hemming and hawing you'd hear from a German that lived through ww2

We were on vacation?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

We were on vacation?

i vas just following orders

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
If we didn't have Linkin Park, what music would play in Transformer films as the credits begin to roll? (Probably Muse)

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 6, 2015

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

If we didn't have Linkin Park, what music would play in Transformer films as the credits bein to roll? (Probably Muse)
She Wants Revenge :unsmigghh:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

If we didn't have Linkin Park, what music would play in Transformer films as the credits bein to roll? (Probably Muse)

There is one song, and only one song, that works it that situation. As I'm sure I've mentioned before.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
my first exposure to this website was someone reading me the Your Band Sucks article where Thorpe says something like "she wants revenge is a diversionary tactic by interpol to deflect criticism of being a joy division knock off onto a weaker target"

i laughed real hard irl. im a despicable hipster.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Captain_Maclaine posted:

There is one song, and only one song, that works it that situation. As I'm sure I've mentioned before.

Add a CGI Orson Welles to Transformers 5, have him shuck and jive with the pickanniny robots.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Linkin Park had a reputation as a "bad band for teenagers" when I was a teenager. I think I was honestly too sheltered to get into them, I made zero effort to develop any musical taste outside my dad's or my older sister's.

We did have a Nickelback album though. Shameful.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
linkin park was perfect for angsty teenage jerry

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Captain_Maclaine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzIwjioWyDg

Two, now. Enjoy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yo that girl who survived the plane crash but her family didnt story was tragic until i found out her name was sailor and now i think they deserved to die

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
when i was an adolescent i rebelled from my peers by getting in to new age music

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I maintain that death is the universal constant that defines humanity and without it existence is pointless. How many millennia of TV watching could you live through before you just want insane?

I could just sit down and read good novels forever, because they will be written faster than I can read them. If nothing else, that's good enough for me.

I'd learn a gazillion languages. I would make untold discoveries in science. I would argue so much on Something Awful. It would be glorious.

zoux posted:

I want to experience the heat death of the universe.

I used to have nightmares about that when I was a kid. I wanted to be immortal, but then this would eventually happen. :gonk:

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

what is the ultimate caricature of American spite, some guy wearing a #ICANBREATHE shirt who huffs coal smoke while holding a bag of chik-fil-a and a Paula Deen cookbook while buying tickets to see Ender's Game?

Am I a bad person for taking Ender's Game out of the public library to watch? :ohdear:

It was a disappointing movie, by the way. A fitting tribute to an author with sucky views who had one or two good works way back when.

Also, re: bandchat. When I was a teenager I listened to Oasis. I assure you that I eventually got better, although I had to go through video-game/anime music to get where I am today.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

zoux posted:

Y'all post good songs with female vocalists and the indier and electronicer the better. and extra especially no basic bitch poo poo like JANEL MONET

fortunately for you this has been my preferred smoking music lately

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bjqwu6IhOvw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXCa-Ae-ahM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfb1BZAI9HY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM_7dbEmk-0

if anyone got more post more

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
the last time i heard linkin park was a couple of years ago when the christian group on campus had it playing while handing out free poo poo lol

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

I admit to buying that Collision Course EP they did with Jay-Z. I listened to that way too much my sophomore year in college.

Then again, I can still enjoy some ska, so my music tastes are already suspect.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

nutranurse posted:

I'm glad we're getting to the point where the beatles are being damned to the annals of history. Like, they were cool and stuff, but there's so much other stuff for people to gush about without having these lanky brits eclipse whatever conversation's going on.

piero scaruffi's piece on the beatles will ultimately be the prevailing wisdom on their importance

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

wasn't all music from the early 2000's at least partially ironic? linkin park, papa roach, system of a down, blink 182, sum41, bloodhound gang. this is the music me and my age group listen to when we're really drunk. well, that and total eclipse of the heart.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

R. Mute posted:

wasn't all music from the early 2000's at least partially ironic? linkin park, papa roach, system of a down, blink 182, sum41, bloodhound gang. this is the music me and my age group listen to when we're really drunk. well, that and total eclipse of the heart.

if ironic you mean lovely, yeah

the only decent thing to come out of nu metal was deftones

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lol. Uh, no peg.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
My hypothesis is that Linkin Park might not be as good as Carlos Santana.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Hahahahahaha deftones

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Fuckers that go 15 under just because there's some water on the freeway piss me off.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DemeaninDemon posted:

Fuckers that go 15 under just because there's some water on the freeway piss me off.

I think theres a whole bunch of people for whom driving is a terrifying experience and they take way too much caution because if there's even a hint of precipitation my commute time doubles.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Hey assholes! It's called freezing point depression. It can be 28 degrees F and the road will still be wetter than your mom on prom night. Instead of you know icy death. You can go the speed limit safely.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Is there a strong correlation between beer snobs and music snobs?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

zoux posted:

Y'all post good songs with female vocalists and the indier and electronicer the better. and extra especially no basic bitch poo poo like JANEL MONET

This comes to mind right away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6gauistUic

One more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw2Q5-56oCU

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 6, 2015

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

euphronius posted:

Is there a strong correlation between beer snobs and music snobs?

They're called hipsters.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

nation of islam bus driver is probably my favorite bus driver

his proseltyzing probably breaks uhhhh a lot of statutes though

Edit: well wait, maybe not nation of islam. What's the group that believes African Americans are the lost tribe of Israel?

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 6, 2015

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Am I a bad person for taking Ender's Game out of the public library to watch? :ohdear:

It was a disappointing movie, by the way. A fitting tribute to an author with sucky views who had one or two good works way back when.

Also, re: bandchat. When I was a teenager I listened to Oasis. I assure you that I eventually got better, although I had to go through video-game/anime music to get where I am today.

i love how the movie took a really loving long time to make back its budget

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The list of sci fi authors you like that turn out to be irredeemable monsters is quite long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Berke Negri posted:

nation of islam bus driver is probably my favorite bus driver

his proseltyzing probably breaks uhhhh a lot of statutes though

Edit: well wait, maybe not nation of islam. What's the group that believes African Americans are the lost tribe of Israel?

Mormons ?

• Locked thread