Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I wish there was a way for me to know if they will ever have a PSNow server in Hawaii, otherwise I fear the latency will always be too bad to play an action game properly (given that online games have all kinds of connection smoothing/hiding tricks that PSNow can't have just by its nature).

Just rent an action game for four hours if you really want to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Is there any reason to get PSNow if I still own and play my PS3?

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Is there any reason to get PSNow if I still own and play my PS3?

Not really, unless you want to try games out, like El shaddai or Dead island just to see how they are. The same could be done by renting them physically but then you might have to deal with patches. installs, and leaving the house.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

Samurai Sanders posted:

I wish there was a way for me to know if they will ever have a PSNow server in Hawaii, otherwise I fear the latency will always be too bad to play an action game properly (given that online games have all kinds of connection smoothing/hiding tricks that PSNow can't have just by its nature).

They are offering a free week of PSNow when it releases, so you can try it then to see if it is acceptable.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

L-O-N posted:

They are offering a free week of PSNow when it releases, so you can try it then to see if it is acceptable.

Great, now I just need a week's worth of cocaine or meth and I can get through all the games I don't have.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The Cameo posted:

The motion comic was specifically made for the PS3 version of ME2, from what I remember, to get around the whole "this system doesn't have ME1 on it at all" problem. They tossed it on everything to cover any new people jumping into the series on any system because at some point they realized that was a good idea.

Witcher 2 did this and I still didn't know what the gently caress was going on.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Reverse Centaur posted:

Witcher 2 did this and I still didn't know what the gently caress was going on.

The girl with amazing tits died and you feel awful about it.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I'm stuck in Alien Isolation and I haven't even encountered a single enemy yet lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bass Bottles posted:

I'm stuck in Alien Isolation and I haven't even encountered a single enemy yet lol

Walk towards the marker on your map.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

Walk towards the marker on your map.

There isn't one :(

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Bass Bottles posted:

There isn't one :(

GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER!

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Turns out the space station is empty. Let's go home, friends.

Edit: Cool I'm stupid. How do you get out of a floor tunnel? The same way you got in! :haw:

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 6, 2015

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Goddamnit I downloaded battlefield 4 Premium and it's taking forever to finish. "Play the Campaign while you wait!" Uh no gently caress you.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Caitlin posted:

Can anyone here offer insight? I didn't see anything recently in the thread about this but there are many pages; if I have missed a post addressing this issue then I apologize (but please direct me to it!). All other consoles on my network are fine. Since I got the PS4; I can access the store just fine - but once I start downloading a file, it'll download anywhere between 50MB-120MB of it or so and then stop failing and claim there's a DNS failure. If I then turn the system entirely off and on again, it will download another segment of the file. I can do this indefinitely until the file has completely downloaded, at which point it will install and work without issue. If I do not download a file at all, I will have no issues connecting to PSN. Once the failure has occurred, I can no longer access the store or trophies, etc. until the system has been restarted. I have set the MTU size to 1473 as suggested by Sony without any change and I have also not seen anyone specifically reporting this issue - open to suggestion. At no point is restarting anything else on the network necessary in order to restore connectivity, nor do any other devices lose connectivity. It is just this PS4 and what in the WORLD. I am happy to provide other information as requested. It is frustrating beyond belief.

If anyone has a suggestion, even about where to seek out advice, I'm all ears. I've been on the phone on hold with support for an hour, they closed Live Chat 2 hours early and it was broken anyway, no replies on Twitter or to forum posts, none on Reddit. Ridiculously frustrating.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

drat it, if any Kingdom Hearts was included in PSNow that would probably have been the ultimate factor for me in getting it. As it is, I guess I'm holding off.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Caitlin posted:

If anyone has a suggestion, even about where to seek out advice, I'm all ears. I've been on the phone on hold with support for an hour, they closed Live Chat 2 hours early and it was broken anyway, no replies on Twitter or to forum posts, none on Reddit. Ridiculously frustrating.

Are you on wifi or ethernet? Try switching to the opposite if possible. I had weird issues with the PSN store on PS3 that were solved this way. If your PS4 is connected to a router, try bypassing it and connecting directly. The problem is most likely related to the PS4 hating your router for whatever reason, so mess around with it (rebooting router, port forwarding, etc) and see if anything fixes it.

Or try downloading something from a different profile. I've seen fringe issues on forums where certain PSN accounts were flagged weird and had issues with the store.

I'm not a network expert and I've never heard of this problem before, but those are some of the things I would try. Sorry :(

You can also try asking on http://www.reddit.com/r/ps4 Edit: duh didn't read your post apparently lol

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 6, 2015

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Another weird thing to try: set your DNS server to 8.8.8.8 and see if that changes anything.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

L-O-N posted:

Yeah. I already rented an action game some months ago and it was definitely not ok reaction time wise. I just can't imagine they would have a server here though, it wouldn't be worth the money I am sure.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

TotalHell posted:

drat it, if any Kingdom Hearts was included in PSNow that would probably have been the ultimate factor for me in getting it. As it is, I guess I'm holding off.

I checked for the three games I wanted to play on my PS3 before I sold it : MGS 4, Nier, and Ni No Kuni. None of them were on the list. Maybe later, Sony!

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

univbee posted:

Another weird thing to try: set your DNS server to 8.8.8.8 and see if that changes anything.

Bass Bottles posted:

Are you on wifi or ethernet? Try switching to the opposite if possible. I had weird issues with the PSN store on PS3 that were solved this way. If your PS4 is connected to a router, try bypassing it and connecting directly. The problem is most likely related to the PS4 hating your router for whatever reason, so mess around with it (rebooting router, port forwarding, etc) and see if anything fixes it.

Or try downloading something from a different profile. I've seen fringe issues on forums where certain PSN accounts were flagged weird and had issues with the store.

I'm not a network expert and I've never heard of this problem before, but those are some of the things I would try. Sorry :(

You can also try asking on http://www.reddit.com/r/ps4 Edit: duh didn't read your post apparently lol

Thanks for the suggestions, but what actually cleared it up was switching to Google's DNS servers. I don't know why the poo poo. Sony can blame Comcast to me all they like (as they did on the phone) but it's not like anything else on my network was freaking out.

I appreciate the responses, thanks guys. Goons always help the best.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Add the Souls games to PSNow and I'll subscribe by the decade.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Did anyone else see the new sales announcement? 18.5 million PS4s sold worldwide.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Bass Bottles posted:

You're not alone, I have a friend in the same boat. I had no issues, however.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

BreakAtmo posted:

Did anyone else see the new sales announcement? 18.5 million PS4s sold worldwide.

Yeah and it's sold to customers not shipped to retailers or whatever. The Wii had about 20 million shipped in the same time period. That's a lot of PS4s.

Also 10.9 million PS+ users.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

L-O-N posted:

Free week as in the first week it's released, it's free?
Those poor servers :stonk:

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

My biggest issue with PSNow is that they seem to have removed both Metal Gear Solid: HD Collection and Metal Gear Solid 4. I rented MGS4 in the past so I wonder if it'll let me rerent it.

Never having played a MGS game, this is exactly what I want PSNow for :-/

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

TotalHell posted:

You'll be waiting a long time. If Square Disney isn't willing to sell them digitally, they won't allow it on PSNow.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jan 6, 2015

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Never having played a MGS game, this is exactly what I want PSNow for :-/

I'm guessing there is going to be some big MGS bundle thing coming out with MGS 4 in it and that's why they took it off PSNow (please be true please be true).

AggroJagg
Mar 7, 2007
Hermits aren't broken, just favoured.
I have £20 in my psn wallet and figure I should pick up a game or two, what are the current top picks for indie/arcade games?

Don't Starve sort of interests me but figured I'd solicit some goon opinions on whats hot or not.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

AggroJagg posted:

I have £20 in my psn wallet and figure I should pick up a game or two, what are the current top picks for indie/arcade games?

Don't Starve sort of interests me but figured I'd solicit some goon opinions on whats hot or not.

smaller games I have enjoyed in the resent past:

spelunky
hotline miami
nidhogg
valiant hearts
escape plan

I have no idea about don't stave.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Don't Starve is a lot of fun. Resource-gathering, planning, surviving. There's a thread for it here.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You'll be waiting a long time. If Square Disney isn't willing to sell them digitally, they won't allow it on PSNow.

I was under the impression it was a matter of music licensing rights and how the original license didn't include a digital release. There are plenty of Disney games on psn.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Kaleidoscope posted:

I was under the impression it was a matter of music licensing rights and how the original license didn't include a digital release. There are plenty of Disney games on psn.

That is exactly why and Disney won't pay for it. That's my point. Not even KH1.5, which is been out for a year, has digital release, even after being on Greatest Hits now. It's not going to happen.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Croccers posted:

Free week as in the first week it's released, it's free?
Those poor servers :stonk:

I think they mean the typical "get your first week free" that every other subscription based media platform rolls out as a promotion, rather than "please hammer our servers at launch because we will only allow the literal first 7 days to be free".

It might cause a bottleneck anyway if for instance it's like a limited time offer at launch, but not as much as the freeforall that would ensue with the latter.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

8-bit Miniboss posted:

That is exactly why and Disney won't pay for it. That's my point. Not even KH1.5, which is been out for a year, has digital release, even after being on Greatest Hits now. It's not going to happen.

I honestly wonder what's going to happen with KHIII. Aren't all PS4 games required to have a digital release?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

BreakAtmo posted:

I honestly wonder what's going to happen with KHIII. Aren't all PS4 games required to have a digital release?

They could just not use Utada songs. :v:

Alternatively they could then renegotiate terms for it if they haven't already.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
I assume all PS4 and Vita native titles have been negotiated with digital rights in tow from the get-go.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
Chaser of the stray sea-life, clad in a trench and a fedora.

AggroJagg posted:

Transistor was probably second on my games of 2014 list. Check that out, especially if you liked Bastion. Spelunky is also great.

Don't Starve is a solid game too, and if you're interested in the survival genre, there isn't really anything like it out on the PS4 anyway.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

AggroJagg posted:

Don't Starve is more fun on console for me but some people would tell you to get it on Steam instead. Unfortunately there's no demo for the PC version anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
When I switched my MTU back to 1500 the speed of my PS4 connection actually dropped. I tried it out multiple times, at different times of the day, different days, etc and 1473 was always faster. So for now I'm espousing the 8.8.8.8 + 1473 gospel if anyone's connection seems slower than it should be.

• Locked thread