Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ce gars
Dec 31, 2007

This dude playing Metal Slug is a surprisingly not awkward speaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

nerdbot posted:

"I lost my fanservice--my FATHER to leukemia" the donation reader says over the Shantae bikini ending image. :allears:

Actually I think he just said "fancer" as a combination of father and cancer since he'd been tripping up like that a bit for awhile. Zachsk probably needs some sleep.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I'm kinda impressed, for a GBA game and despite the reused assets, this is pretty good.

That was neat, I want more of this guy and Metal Slug in future marathons.

HGH fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jan 6, 2015

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
That was an awesome run, need to follow this dude.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

While I don't like getting down on games in a charity event, man what an upgrade it was seeing a game made by a real game company again

CarpetCrawler
Feb 18, 2013

Definitely give Gyre a follow, there are some nights where I'm the only dude in his chat and he's a super chill guy (and as you saw, really good at commentary). He also runs old JRPG games, and helped develop the Final Fantasy 1 for NES marathon route!!

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CarpetCrawler posted:

Definitely give Gyre a follow, there are some nights where I'm the only dude in his chat and he's a super chill guy (and as you saw, really good at commentary). He also runs old JRPG games, and helped develop the Final Fantasy 1 for NES marathon route!!

Could you link his twitch

CarpetCrawler
Feb 18, 2013

http://twitch.tv/gyre_ is where you can find him!!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Why are these guys making such a big deal about needing to reset their consoles at the same time? Is the game's internal RNG tied to it somehow or what?

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Well this is thrilling....

EDIT: Oh the guys mic is muted or something, now I understand why it's so quiet.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

This is why play by play commentary was invented

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Can't a hear a thing zallard is saying.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Rudager posted:

Well this is thrilling....

It's a nice race, but one might say that the commentary is slightly lacking. At least they could turn up the game audio...

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the mexican screamer

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005
I can't tell if its because the mic isn't working or because the dude is pointing it at the ceiling.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

How about handing the mic to the guy talking instead of holding it three feet away from his face?

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

This is amazing.

It most certainly is

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Sucks TMR choked, but he beat Ikari Warriors without using a continue so he is a legend in my book.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Yeah that was certainly a thing that happened.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Well that sucked, TMR died and I know DK, he ain't happy with the run, hell he mentioned that if this GDQ Contra run wasn't drat near perfect he'd never do Contra at a GDQ again so RIP. :smith:

And I couldn't hear a thing Zallard was saying, they really shouldn't be having these issues at this point.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Alteisen posted:

they really shouldn't be having these issues at this point.

This is what happens when UraniumAnchor is asleep.

Also until TMR fell way behind I was really riveted by the race even without commentary.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
power blade dude is so into his running

CarpetCrawler
Feb 18, 2013

Alteisen posted:

Well that sucked, TMR died and I know DK, he ain't happy with the run, hell he mentioned that if this GDQ Contra run wasn't drat near perfect he'd never do Contra at a GDQ again so RIP. :smith:

And I couldn't hear a thing Zallard was saying, they really shouldn't be having these issues at this point.

Yeah. Considering the amount of hype in the community for this race I'm sure both DK and TMR are not happy at all with the results. This combined with the fact that the couch commentary mics weren't working and the quiet room (turns out there was a really long fire alarm going on in a different part of the hotel) it made a run that should have been one of the best runs of the marathon into a pretty rough little race.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I'm pretty sure the hand mic wasn't even on at all for Contra, and I think the host mic might be off for this run now. Audio issues ahoy.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
I like this Power Blade run.

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

I'm not ashamed to admit I applauded in RL at that clip.

Tombad
Oct 21, 2010
This has turned out to be really lackluster marathon so far. Runs that should have been really hyped don't feel like it when there's no feeling of the audience on the stream. Seeing a handful of people without any sound coming from them is really not enhancing the feel that I'm watching a big event. In this regard I liked watching ESA 2014 a lot more.

NES block games have been really nice thus far. I really hope Feasel and PJ nail Snake Rattle 'n' Roll.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I'm pretty sure the hand mic wasn't even on at all for Contra, and I think the host mic might be off for this run now. Audio issues ahoy.

Apart from the announcer not filling any dead time even when prompted this Power Blade run seems damned solid, informative runner and a solid NES game (with a soundtrack by the Castlevania composer, apparently) that I hadn't heard about.

E: Hey, announcer is filling in some. All is well.

E2: Also, apparently you fight evil Mecha-Lenin. I approve.

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009
I have found one game that I can genuinely say I want to play now because of this marathon, and it only took staying up til 4 in the morning to nearly miss it.

Why is the block of fun games this late? I know there are -rules- this year, but gently caress, if you literally have to wait until its after hours to make sure you can have fun on camera, you're doing something wrong.

Seriously, look at the lineup here, the -fun- NES block is literally the graveyard shift. After all of that mess last night. It just....doesn't seem right. Like, all of the energy and -FUN- that could be had is happening in the niche games that no one is awake for at 4 in the morning.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
I am so drat tired of the totally silent breaks broken only by idiotic sponsorship ads, jesus gently caress.

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
I think Jedi Knight has been my favourite run so far.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
AMAZING

*seizure flash*

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I played a lot of Snake Rattle 'n Roll as a kid, trying to land accurate jumps in that game's "3D environment" was hell.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

This is a very good run, both game-wise and runner-wise. Always more enjoyable when it's obvious how much the runners enjoy the game.

Also, I like that the announcer keeps asking questions. It really helps given that there are no "audience" mics. (I kinda hope they revert this decision for next year)

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009
Agreed, the announcer actually interacting with the runners and not just being a spambot is a good decision for everyone.

Also, god drat it how did you people get Snake Rattle 'n' Roll to be INTERESTING

That was AMAZING.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
How'd Binding of Isaac get in again?
Also I sure look forwards to another shitstorm in 4 hours.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I feel like I just came down from a trip

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Faust IX posted:

I have found one game that I can genuinely say I want to play now because of this marathon, and it only took staying up til 4 in the morning to nearly miss it.

Why is the block of fun games this late? I know there are -rules- this year, but gently caress, if you literally have to wait until its after hours to make sure you can have fun on camera, you're doing something wrong.

Seriously, look at the lineup here, the -fun- NES block is literally the graveyard shift. After all of that mess last night. It just....doesn't seem right. Like, all of the energy and -FUN- that could be had is happening in the niche games that no one is awake for at 4 in the morning.

The most fun run so far this marathon was battleblock theater and that was in primetime, dude. Also where the hell did you get the idea that there are rules against fun this year?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

BBT was so sucky it actually caused cancer rather than prevent it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?
Shame I'm going to miss the co-op Battletoads run due to work. :(

• Locked thread