Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I think the situation is similar to suicides. People get encouraged to ape poo poo too easily.

I also know a volunteer firefighter who started a few fires. At least he didn't hurt anyone. Is being a pyromaniac making you more likely to join the firefighters or is being a firefighter so boring that you start fires on your own?

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jan 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

I think the situation is similar to suicides. People get encouraged to ape poo poo too easily.

I also know a volunteer firefighter who started a few fires. At least he didn't hurt anyone. Is being a pyromaniac making you more likely to join the firefighters or is being a firefighter so boring that you start fires on your own?

The former, there have been studies on that phenomenon, iirc.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

botany posted:

The former, there has been the movie Backdraft on that phenomenon, iirc.

Fixed, if you don't like reading.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I guess it's the same deal as with priests and pedophiles.

Standard firefighter exams should include a test where you have to stare at a burning candle for 10 min without getting an erection.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

waitwhatno posted:

I guess it's the same deal as with priests and pedophiles.

Standard firefighter exams should include a test where you have to stare at a burning candle for 10 min without getting an erection.

It'd probably me more useful to include a test where they have to restrain themselves from extinguishing a fire.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

... Bärgida? This is getting dumber and dumber. I mean I'm thinking and talking about it, so mission accomplished from a marketing point of view, but that name is pretty loving dumb (unlike all the others haha).

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Smirr posted:

... Bärgida? This is getting dumber and dumber. I mean I'm thinking and talking about it, so mission accomplished from a marketing point of view, but that name is pretty loving dumb (unlike all the others haha).

I think it's actually quite clever. This doesn't change the fact that any organization with "des Abendlandes" in their title cannot be taken seriously anyway, or that these are organized by racist fucks, but Bärgida is a nice wordplay.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Bears don't care about Islam or immigrants. I will go out on a limb here and say that bears (yes all bears) do not care about politics whatsoever.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Smirr posted:

Bears don't care about Islam or immigrants. I will go out on a limb here and say that bears (yes all bears) do not care about politics whatsoever.

I assumed it was meant as a connection to the bear on Berlin's coat of arms.

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
This evening in Cologne restored my faith in mankind. Thank god most people living here know pegida and the afd are same kind of scapegoating fascist movement the nazis were. I never would have expected Axel Springer to support the right cause though

But I don't really know what to make of this. "Trotz eines großen Aufgebots von Gegendemonstranten"? Would the police have stopped the nazis on their own if the pesky leftists hadnt interfered?

Aix fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 5, 2015

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Unpopuläre Meinung: Gegendemonstrationen sind gut, das Blockieren der Hauptdemonstrationen durch Verstopfen der Demonstrationswege ist schlecht. :colbert:

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10

Randler posted:

Unpopuläre Meinung: Gegendemonstrationen sind gut, das Blockieren der Hauptdemonstrationen durch Verstopfen der Demonstrationswege ist schlecht. :colbert:

Seems like what bild.de was trying to say... I guess

Aix fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 5, 2015

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Randler posted:

Supplementary information: Randler votes AfD

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Randler why would you vote afd?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Randler seriously. Stop voting AfD all the time.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I prefer people voting AfD instead of Union.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Oh no, a new party that upsets the establishment and challenges the current group think!
Ban it before it is too late and they get lots of money from the trough that is rightfully ours*!

*That's the reason the AFD runs the gold trading. Parties are refunded by money spent. Die Partei goes a step further: When you send them 20 Euro, they send you 20 Euros back. No money really changed hands but it is an expense they can claim from the state.

Riso fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jan 6, 2015

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If you believe there is actual group think in a political spectrum that spans from CSU to Linke and includes around 10% more fringe parties you are out of your mind.

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
Demonstrationen zu blockieren ist genauso Meinungsfreiheit wie überhaupt zu demonstrieren.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Aix posted:

Demonstrationen zu blockieren ist genauso Meinungsfreiheit wie überhaupt zu demonstrieren.

Andere Ansicht: Grundgesetz.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Riso posted:

Oh no, a new party that upsets the establishment and challenges the current group think!
Ban it before it is too late and they get lots of money from the trough that is rightfully ours*!

Oh no, equality and freedom are concepts many people aspire to, that makes them groupthink! Oppose them if you want to be a cool, rad individual like this guy here.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Equality and liberty are exklusive actually.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Riso posted:

Equality and liberty are exklusive actually.

1. I didn't say the same groups want them, 2. Says who?

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
If everybody is equal, nobody has the liberty to be different.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

BabyFur Denny posted:

I'm pretty sure Riso is just upset that bleeding-heart leftists have removed his freedom to literally own another human being.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Are y'all sure the AfD aren't a bunch of American libertarians escaped from the asylum?

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

More importantly the FDP is now purple, atleast partially. This will surely bring back the voters.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Infected posted:

More importantly the FDP is now purple, atleast partially. This will surely bring back the voters.

Won't help.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

BabyFur Denny posted:

Braut der Januar Nebel gar, wird der Frühling nass fürwahr!

icantfindaname posted:

Are y'all sure the AfD aren't a bunch of American libertarians escaped from the asylum?

As stupid as the AfD and their "We are just asking questions!" bullshit is, I have never heard one of the higher-ups actually quote Ron Paul. So either they are hiding it well or are actually sane human being.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm deeply glad the elites are displaying a coherent front against this disgusting trend.

Riso posted:

Die Partei goes a step further: When you send them 20 Euro, they send you 20 Euros back. No money really changed hands but it is an expense they can claim from the state.
The only party that does not engage in the redistribution of wealth.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
Now, from a pretty far left pov, I prefer "honest conservative assholes" (AFD, largely meaning honesty over the fact they are assholes) over "dishonest conservative assholes that pretend to have human feelings like compassion or stuff" (CDU/CSU).

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Why shouldn't the right be as fractured as the left traditionally is and have to deal with the same consequences.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The AfD is extremely dishonest. Lucke keeps playing down the huge racist element that makes up a substantial amount of his power base. Every interview of his is denial of any racist undercurrent.

I also don't believe the German center-right don't have any compassion at all. We must not demonise/dehumanise our enemies, or assume evil where pure stupidity, or probably simply slightly different values, is the real reason for disagreement.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Wait. the center-right is our enemy?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Randler posted:

For you, the 1st person plural pronouns above can be read exclusive, if you want to read the statement as referring to our specific situation, not as a general statement. Maybe next time I'll weave in a "comrade" somewhere to make stuff clear. Okay?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Randler posted:

Yeah they are. Unless you're super rich.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I may like this even better than the brouhaha the F.D.P. made about removing the periods from their name.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Pegida is gonna get tons of support now.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Pegida is gonna get tons of support now.

Wait what? The news were making GBS threads on them constantly last I checked, and they had cities switching their lights off in protest and counter-demonstrations rising up against their evil all the time. That sounds like the opposite of support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Libluini posted:

Wait what? The news were making GBS threads on them constantly last I checked, and they had cities switching their lights off in protest and counter-demonstrations rising up against their evil all the time. That sounds like the opposite of support.

Did you miss the news out of France? With the Islamist terrorists attacking the satire magazine?

Also, the last Monday demonstration was the biggest yet, they don't seem to get traction in West German cities but they are mobilizing more and more people in Dresden.