Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Tracula posted:

I don't know what amused me more. The goons triggered the Battle Block Theater run or the goons triggered by New Super Marisa Land run.

How many waifus do you think got cucked to get that bad anime game played during primetime?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
I feel like I'm watching someone's funeral right now :stare:

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."
Well, this is obviously not the desired outcome of these changes. You can basically trace every new rule back to some poo poo that happened last year, so they're not unreasonable by themselves, they just work together in a way that seems to encourage more dullness than hype. Good runs still happen and they will likely adjust the rules for a better SGDQ.

Reddit is really paranoid about people intentionally destroying everyone's fun though.

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

Catpiss Neverclean posted:

I feel like I'm watching someone's funeral right now :stare:

Requiem for a Thousand Grandmas

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
$230,000 donated with five days to go. There's 74,000 people watching the stream right now on a tuesday morning.

Jedi Knight, Perspective, Within a Deep Forest, Power Blade and Battletoads has been great runs to watch during the night. The marathon is doing just fine.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
For reference, here's stats on last year's and this year's agdq: http://irc.alligatr.co.uk/agdq14/ http://irc.alligatr.co.uk/agdq15/

We've already twice peaked more than the overall peak of AGDQ14 and on average Tuesday had many more viewers than Monday so no worries about Monday's subparness turning away any viewers.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Comrade Question posted:

Reddit is really paranoid about people intentionally destroying everyone's fun though.

"They changed things, now it sucks" -Any diehard fan, ever

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Why do people have to loving psychoanalyze and critique this event so god drat much. It's a bunch of people playing video games for fun and charity. It's not going to be perfect. Just enjoy it and stop complaining about every single little thing.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Yeah, that does make sense. It is kind of frustrating to see in action during the low points because it is so quiet and staid and completely lacking the communal atmosphere, but I would hope they can get the major issues ironed out for the next go round. I also don't expect SGDQ to be negatively impacted by this kind of stuff as much, because it was always a bit smaller and less formal and I tend to count that as a point in its favor.

I mean, corralling dozens of nerds at once is obviously, DEMONSTRABLY going to require setting and enforcing some firm guidelines, but if nothing else the frequent lack of activity or conversation so far is not a point in this year's favor.

Oh hey, I can actually sort of hear the guy talking now. Hopefully that remains a trend.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

The silence is really the worst thing.

It's not like the marathon is going terribly, but maybe it would be raising even more than it is if they weren't threatening to give potential donators those terrible hats.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I think that the lack of couch/audience mic is because they got those nearly-invisible headsets for runners, and having another mic on top of that would be hell to mix. Also the runner audio is going out to the audience, so there is a hight chance of a looping sound and I prefer some quieter moments on the stream then screeching noises coming out of my headphones/speakers.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Damo posted:

Why do people have to loving psychoanalyze and critique this event so god drat much. It's a bunch of people playing video games for fun and charity. It's not going to be perfect. Just enjoy it and stop complaining about every single little thing.
The only serious regression from previous years I've really noticed is the lack of crowd mic. Outside of that, things seem pretty business as usual to me. v:geno:v

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:

Damo posted:

Complaining about things that are perceived as problems is how you get problems fixed, and a lot of people really like the GDQ events, which is why they get so critical of them. Everyone wants to see AGDQ and SGDQ be wildly successful, so when something like that fifteen minute chunk of the donation reader repeating the same stupid plugs over repeating game music from what appears to be an NES lawnmower game happens, people complain because they see it as harmful.

Hyperbole happens, but a lot of the commentary here is legitimate. The event is suffering a little compared to prior years because there's no crowd mic or crowd visibility, because the readers have such an aggressive noise gate, because the comment readers don't read very many comments on the whole during downtime sometimes compared to the amount of time they spend plugging various sponsors. We're enjoying the event, but we can see flaws. That's all. :v:

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

For reals that was just the best drat race so far. Contra doesn't have poo poo on Lawn Mower.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I didn't expect to be so invested in Blechy's fuel meter.

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

flatluigi posted:

For reference, here's stats on last year's and this year's agdq: http://irc.alligatr.co.uk/agdq14/ http://irc.alligatr.co.uk/agdq15/

We've already twice peaked more than the overall peak of AGDQ14 and on average Tuesday had many more viewers than Monday so no worries about Monday's subparness turning away any viewers.

That huge drop from Battleblock to Super Marisa Land :cawg:

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Not gonna lie, that was probably the best lawn-mower race I've seen in days.

Sounds like the audio's improving a bit over time, so hopefully they've got that largely ironed out, lack of a crowd mic aside.

Also I did tune in to see what was up with Super Marisa Land, briefly. My conclusion was that it looks like a Touhou platformer made in flash; if that's your cup of tea, have fun, but it didn't look that interesting.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
I know I'm a few hours late for this, but :lol: at the nerds making sure everybody knows they don't like anime.

Sweet,it's Die Hard.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Social Media posted:

On one hand, I want to defend it because Battleblock went on way past my bedtime and I'm part of the group who went to bed the second it finished.

On the other hand, if it wasn't bed time for me, I would've tuned out anyway.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Swan Curry posted:

I know I'm a few hours late for this, but :lol: at the nerds making sure everybody knows they don't like anime.

If you mean Super Marisa Land, it mostly looked pretty boring to me. Sorry.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Social Media posted:

They turned off the stream for setup. This was not an anime thing.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:

Takoluka posted:

They turned off the stream for setup. This was not an anime thing.

No, but it was a pretty awful-looking game, a pretty boring run, and jesus christ the border of the game and the titties who let that poo poo into AGDQ agh :psyduck:

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Man, I wish I hadn't dozed off during BBT, because I would've had a hoot reading all of the posts in this thread during the Touhou fangame run. Goons never cease to disappoint in the marathon threads. :allears:

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I wasn't tuned in long enough to see what you were talking about, I don't think, but at a guess, suggestive art of suspiciously-endowed grade-schoolers? Because you'll find no end of people on the internet to defend that for some reason.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
There was barely anything on screen and it lasted 20 seconds at most.

Chocolate Donuts posted:

No, but it was a pretty awful-looking game, a pretty boring run, and jesus christ the border of the game and the titties who let that poo poo into AGDQ agh :psyduck:

And yet I don't hear anyone complaining about Shantae and that game is anime fanservice central.

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

HGH posted:

And yet I don't hear anyone complaining about Shantae and that game is anime fanservice central.

Probably because it's a good game made by a real game company.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

HGH posted:

I heard people complaining about it

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

HGH posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3691048

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I wish they'd save the races for the really big, special events, because with games like F-Zero and this (Ducktales 2) you're just dividing your attention across two less interesting runs instead of on one that's focused on breaking down this specific game.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

HGH posted:

It was also at 2am in the middle of the indie block instead of directly following a prime time run featuring a game and guest the majority of people wanted to see.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I wasn't tuned in long enough to see what you were talking about, I don't think, but at a guess, suggestive art of suspiciously-endowed grade-schoolers?

A Google search shows that beyond the one big-boob-Marisa border (which isn't even that bad), literally every other border image is completely inoffensive. Any complaints about this game should be focused on the fact that it may or may not have been interesting to watch, not "THIS GAME PERPETUATES SEXUAL ASSAULT."

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Takoluka posted:

A Google search shows that beyond the one big-boob-Marisa border (which isn't even that bad), literally every other border image is completely inoffensive. Any complaints about this game should be focused on the fact that it may or may not have been interesting to watch, not "THIS GAME PERPETUATES SEXUAL ASSAULT."

No one ever said that but okay. Big boobed 10 year olds is just gross but regardless of that the run was boring and full of auto scrolls.

e: The choke is in on Ducktales 2.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It wasn't interesting to watch; beyond a few OOB level skips there wasn't anything particularly dazzling about the mechanics. Because it cribbed so much from Yoshi's Island and SMW, the tricks available were carbon copies.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I wasn't tuned in long enough to see what you were talking about, I don't think, but at a guess, suggestive art of suspiciously-endowed grade-schoolers?

i like it when people clearly don't know what they're talking about but post anyway

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

If they wanted to run a Mario clone starring little girls they should've run Great Giana Sisters :qq:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Hakkesshu posted:

If they wanted to run a Mario clone starring little girls they should've run Great Giana Sisters :qq:

They don't want to run a mario clone.

They want to look at little girls.

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

Reminder that after this, Goof Troop with Blechy and Cyghfer is on. If you aren't watching the stream now, remedy that fact.

Comrade Question fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jan 6, 2015

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Going back to the NES block now and this Contra race is great. I wish the couch knew how to use microphones though.

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
Mike !UYAMAAGoa6

We're allowing plushies and hats for today.
If everything goes well, maybe for the rest of the event too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

can I get a link to the VODs? and also, would the OP like to add a link to the VODs in the OP?

• Locked thread