Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Then why keep using the term 'unrepentant'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

serious gaylord posted:

So no business should be associated with anyone thats unrepentent about their crimes then?

Just so we're clear, thats the stance you're taking here.

rape is no worse than other crime and therefore any position you hold regarding unrepentant rapists must also apply to all other unrepentant criminals

just so we're clear, thats the stance you're taking here

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Gum posted:

rape is no worse than other crime and therefore any position you hold regarding unrepentant rapists must also apply to all other unrepentant criminals

just so we're clear, thats the stance you're taking here

Haha is this supposed to be a serious point you're making? Jfc

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Gonzo McFee posted:

It's held unreliable because there are biases in favour and against certain people. Chad Evans had all of the biases in his favour what with him being rich, famous, white and a man.

Surely a jury would be biased against him? I certainly would be. "Footballer who earns more in a minute than I probably do in a year for kicking a bit of pig about." "Get's all the girls throwing themselves at him." Or from the older generations - "bringing the beautiful game into disrepute". Are they really that popular as individuals?

quote:

And he was still found guilty for a crime that is notoriously hard to prosecute.

This is a myth (pdf, p15) - juries convict more often than they acquit in rape cases and have higher jury conviction rates than other serious offences (attempted murder, manslaughter and GBH).

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

serious gaylord posted:

I'm not saying its all loving tumblr feminists. I'm saying that his situation was latched onto them from the start and they kicked the ball rolling into the circus that this has become.

As others have said, I knew nothing of this case until he came out after being released and said hes innocent and then his girlfriend went on This Morning. I don't feel Tumblr was responsible for those things.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
i was going to say "see i can do it too" but then i realised that that actually is the stance youre taking here

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Mega Comrade posted:

As others have said, I knew nothing of this case until he came out after being released and said hes innocent and then his girlfriend went on This Morning. I don't feel Tumblr was responsible for those things.

this morning is actually a key player in the sjw conspiracy

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Then why keep using the term 'unrepentant'?

Because he is an unrepentant rapist. On top of his villainous actions he has added that he's not the least bit remorseful for those actions. Do you not get why that would bother someone?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Gum posted:

i was going to say "see i can do it too" but then i realised that that actually is the stance youre taking here

For what reason should ched Evans not be able to play football at a professional level? Be specific.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

Because he is an unrepentant rapist. On top of his villainous actions he has added that he's not the least bit remorseful for those actions. Do you not get why that would bother someone?

I don't see the necessity, 'rapist' is sufficient. You're suggesting that saying sorry would somehow affect your opinion of him.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

serious gaylord posted:

There was mounting pressure which was getting bigger and bigger in the months leading up to his release that Sheffield United should not let him come back, that it would be a disgrace etc. He made that statement and that was seemingly the end of it.

Weird, from my perspective as an average member of the public, that seemed like the start of it! That was when his unrepentant statement was a lead story (including in-studio analysis) on multiple major news broadcasts, y'see

Whatever sensationalism the news decided to wring out of it, it became a general story and people tend to care about public figures. Like has been said, it's the clubs' and sponsors' decision here, and if it's all just noise from 'tumblr feminists' then they can safely ignore it! They're businesses, I'm sure they know what will significantly affect them... unless this issue is somehow negatively impacting their image with the wider public :wth:

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

stickyfngrdboy posted:

For what reason should ched Evans not be able to play football at a professional level? Be specific.

because football clubs depend on public support for their funding and the public, rightly, doesnt want to support an unrepentant rapist

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
holy gently caress there's a lot of cunts in here today

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Gum posted:

because football clubs depend on public support for their funding and the public, rightly, doesnt want to support an unrepentant rapist

so the only members of public who have any right to protest his appointment at, say, oldham athletic, are oldham athletic fans or people from the town of oldham? That doesn't make any sense.

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

serious gaylord posted:

I'm not saying its all loving tumblr feminists. I'm saying that his situation was latched onto them from the start and they kicked the ball rolling into the circus that this has become.

You're giving them far too much credit. If there wasn't public outrage and threats to withdraw sponsorship from Utd nobody would care what tumblr feminists had to say like usual. They didn't get the ball rolling the media and the sponsors did.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pantsuit posted:

You're giving them far too much credit. If there wasn't public outrage and threats to withdraw sponsorship from Utd nobody would care what tumblr feminists had to say like usual. They didn't get the ball rolling the media and the sponsors did.

And who do you think flooded the sponsors with complaints until they made a statement?

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

stickyfngrdboy posted:

so the only members of public who have any right to protest his appointment at, say, oldham athletic, are oldham athletic fans or people from the town of oldham? That doesn't make any sense.

not at all. anyone is allowed to have the opinion that it is wrong for the club to appoint him and its fine for them to share that opinion

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

serious gaylord posted:

And who do you think flooded the sponsors with complaints until they made a statement?

im going to guess it was the british public, but feel free to prove me wrong

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I don't see the necessity, 'rapist' is sufficient. You're suggesting that saying sorry would somehow affect your opinion of him.

for what it's worth, it would affect my opinion of him. Were he to show remorse for his actions, and maybe make some kind of symbolic act of contrition like participating in a campaign against sexual assault, then I'd say yes, he should be allowed to play again.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

mfcrocker posted:

holy gently caress there's a lot of cunts in here today

Let me, as a man, tell you about this crime that disproportionately affects women.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

for what it's worth, it would affect my opinion of him. Were he to show remorse for his actions, and maybe make some kind of symbolic act of contrition like participating in a campaign against sexual assault, then I'd say yes, he should be allowed to play again.

He cant really be repentent while his appeal is ongoing can he? He will never make an apology over this because he fundamentally believes he did nothing wrong.

TinTower posted:

Let me, as a man, tell you about this crime that disproportionately affects women.

Please link to the posts where anyone has commented on the crime in any way aside from calling it reprehensible.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011
There's a couple of inconsistencies here. It's irrelevant that he hasn't finished his sentence, as everyone making a point of that will not change their minds once he has finished it. It's also irrelevant that he's unrepentant, because (most) people wouldn't change their minds if he did repent and say sorry.
So what we have is a bunch of people who say 'rapist shouldn't be allowed to play football'. Which is fine as an opinion, but it's not the law and we aren't governed by mob rule (because the British public are stupid).
The reason for this? "Football players are role models" is the argument I hear the most. Which is bullshit, as football players are generally *the worst* role models as my post before shows.

tentish klown posted:

See: Gerrard and his mates assaulting a single man outside a nightclub, John Terry in racism shocker, Marlon King the convicted sex offender, Lee Hughes, Giggs shagging his wife's sister, numerous drink drivers killing people in accidents, Cantona kicking a fan, Roy Keane intentionally breaking Halands leg, Joey Barton consistently being a poo poo, Jamie Lawrence committing armed robbery, etc.
The only consistency in the argument is 'ruin the rapists life'. Which has been successfully done - if he does play football again he'll be barraged by chants for the rest of his career reminding him that he's a rapist. He's now known throughout the country as a rapist. He's spent 2.5 years in prison. He's on the sex offenders register for life.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

serious gaylord posted:

He cant really be repentent while his appeal is ongoing can he? He will never make an apology over this because he fundamentally believes he did nothing wrong.

which is what makes him a bad person?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

TinTower posted:

Here are the reasons why a jury was wrong to find him guilty beyond reasonable doubt of a crime that's notoriously hard to prosectue

~~faaaaaaaaarts~~

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

just out of interest, would you feel the same way if the bbc rehired rolf harris?

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Gum posted:

Just for the sake of discussion, suppose she did consent to have sex with him (aka he is telling the truth).

Is he still a bad person?

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Gum posted:

If he's appealing and the powers that be are reviewing the case for a miscarriage of justice, saying 'sorry' would cause his appeal to fail (they have done now anyway, but the damage has been done) and they're not going to bother reviewing the case. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innocent_prisoner%27s_dilemma

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Prince John posted:

Just for the sake of discussion, suppose she did consent to have sex with him (aka he is telling the truth).

obviously not, but that isnt what happened here

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

So no business should be associated with anyone thats unrepentent about their crimes then?

Just so we're clear, thats the stance you're taking here.

I'm gonna single this out because it's a nice demonstration of the way some people are framing this argument that winds me up.

What is this "should"? Are we making a moral claim? Are we wanting laws against this? Who is or isn't giving clubs permission to hire him?

I would not support a club that hires rapists, especially the unrepentant kind, and parades them about publically. If I was a footballer I would not play with or against rapists, I do not want rapists in my life.

That is my right, to choose who to associate myself with.

If the clubs choose not to hire him, either through moral objection, or a fear that righteous pricks like me will not support a club that hires him, then that is also their decision.

The talk about "should he play" or "should clubs be allowed to hire him" is irrelevant in my mind.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Gum posted:

obviously not, but that isnt what happened here

All you have to back this up is that a) she doesn't remember what happened, b) she was really drunk, and c) the jury decided that she was too drunk to consent.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

tentish klown posted:

If he's appealing and the powers that be are reviewing the case for a miscarriage of justice, saying 'sorry' would cause his appeal to fail (they have done now anyway, but the damage has been done) and they're not going to bother reviewing the case. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innocent_prisoner%27s_dilemma

he cant apologise because hes trying to weasel his way out of punishment? you're right, it was totally wrong for me to call him a bad person

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Prince John posted:

Considering at the time of the rape he was also cheating on his girlfriend so yeah, still a dick.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Gum posted:

just out of interest, would you feel the same way if the bbc rehired rolf harris?

I wouldn't care what they did, but that's different anyway because we all pay for the BBC. We don't pay towards the upkeep of oldham athletic.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Out of curiosity, what would the likely reaction be if Evans turned round and said "gently caress it, if you keep stopping me from getting a job I'll just go on benefits and you can pay for me"?

(Yes, I know this will never happen)

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

tentish klown posted:

c) the jury decided that she was too drunk to consent.

Yes, this is a legal definition of rape, the crime which convicted rapist Chad Evans has been convicted of.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

tentish klown posted:

All you have to back this up is that a) she doesn't remember what happened, b) she was really drunk, and c) the jury decided that she was too drunk to consent.

"All you have to back this up is that he had sex with her while she was too drunk to consent".

Brilliant. Top marks.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Prince John posted:

Yes. The idea that there are normal (as in not sociopathic) men who actually get texts off their friends saying they've found a bird then hightail round to have sex with them too is mind boggling and horrible. Do people actually enjoy sex like that?

I know it's not a crime but it is treating people like sex toys and I fully support social shaming against it.

Edit: And the friends filming it from outside, is that not illegal? Ugh.

hookerbot 5000 fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jan 6, 2015

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Gum posted:

he cant apologise because hes trying to weasel his way out of punishment? you're right, it was totally wrong for me to call him a bad person

Allow me to introduce you to all the people serving sentences far in excess of their allocated time because they maintain their innocence and are thus ineligible for parole. Miscarriages of justice happen all the time and, indeed, this may be one. Wait and see what the panel says.

tentish klown posted:

This is the nub of it. She never made a complaint of rape to the police. According to the supporter's website (so take it for what it's worth) there is no forensic evidence linking either men to the 'sexual act'. They were charged entirely based on their own accounts of what happened.

It is within the realms of possibility that she may have consented at the time.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Prince John posted:

According to the supporter's website (so take it for what it's worth) there is no forensic evidence linking either men to the 'sexual act'. They were charged entirely based on their own accounts of what happened.

so what are you arguing here? that they might have lied about having sex with her?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

mfcrocker posted:

Here are the reasons why a jury was wrong to find him guilty beyond reasonable doubt of a crime that's notoriously hard to prosectue

~~faaaaaaaaarts~~

Do you have anything to contribute or are you just going to shitpost?

Prince John posted:

There's some confusion here about the legal processes that are ongoing. He appealed the conviction and that appeal was rejected by the Court of Appeal. An appeal is necessarily very limited in that you can only appeal on mistakes of law in the original trial.

Completely separately from him filing appeals, the Criminal Cases Review Commission is fast tracking their own enquiry into whether there has been a miscarriage of justice. This is far wider ranging and can reconsider the facts and jury findings in the original trial.

This is the heart of the matter - where a woman does not make a complaint of rape and the Crown is driving the prosecution and there are possible inconsistencies in the prosecution case and the jury's decision, it's in everyone's interests to revisit the trial. It's easy to see them as automatically guilty because they're predatory sleazy footballers (and I agree they're scumbags). These facts could arise in any liaison between a group of drunk friends where one party ultimately doesn't remember consenting.

The only possible way this gets overturned is on a technical matter. As to whether the judge was incorrect when he told the jurys to bring different verdicts etc.

It is in everyones interest that this case is reviewed as to set a precedent that can be cited later.

• Locked thread