Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
The best part about the weapons is that different setups changes your playstyle to something else it's a very good combat system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
the best thing about the weapons in bastion is that a lot of the combinations have dialogue from the narrator upon leaving the armory

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
That but everything in the game

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

precision posted:

we have a very healthy relationship. i tank, she nukes.

i know the horse skill is sub optimal but i can't stop using it. it's a fuckin horse!

same set up crusader + wizard for days

idk the horse skill is fun and all but its not meteoring into the earth like a comet which is pretty awesome

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
bastion is really cool but it goes on sale for way less than 15 bucks all the time. so save for that (it'll be like 2 dollars) and get the soundtrack too

I really liked transistor a lot. It sells that end of the world thing as well as bastion and has lots of great touches. there aren't multiple endings like in bastion tho and the one is kinda bleak. I might play that again soon

frank.club fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 6, 2015

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Bastion has good music and graphics plus a cool narrator and that's about it. As far as the gameplay goes, it's roughly comparable to Disney Infinity or something like that, baby's first ARPG/walk in a line simulator.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

chumbler posted:

The weapon balance in Bastion is fantastic and definitely its strongest point gameplay-wise. They all feel different and useful.

Transistor is also neat but flawed. It has some great moments, particularly the final boss, but the gameplay mechanics fall short of their ambition.

final boss is actually the worst part of the game.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Real hurthling! posted:

final boss is actually the worst part of the game.

wrong.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

nah waiting for the ai to play its turn is poo poo

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
i didnt actually get 2 the final boss yet ive only played transistor for 2 hours

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

THE PENETRATOR posted:

i didnt actually get 2 the final boss yet ive only played transistor for 2 hours

they try something new but its even slower paced than the rest of the game.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Transistor really felt like they wanted to recapture Bastion but they really didn't understand what made Bastion so great.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
actually Transistor was like they wanted to make a game that owned and I think they succeeded

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

THE PENETRATOR posted:

actually Transistor was like they wanted to make a game that owned and I think they succeeded

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I would agree if you moved faster and combat didn't have such long cooldowns. oh and if the sword didn't have those 2 drunk rambling monologues that make no sense but that's probably just personal preference

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I got the Heretic/Hexen bundle while it was on sale and I'm really enjoying Heretic. It's basically a well-made fantasy doom wad. Hexen, on the other hand, is total garbage. The gameplay is basically wandering around lovely maps with boring enemies and only a couple of crap weapons looking for switches, then aimlessly poking around trying to figure out what the switch changed, which is often in a different map entirely. Am I missing something or are the Hexen games just awful?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Buck Turgidson posted:

I got the Heretic/Hexen bundle while it was on sale and I'm really enjoying Heretic. It's basically a well-made fantasy doom wad. Hexen, on the other hand, is total garbage. The gameplay is basically wandering around lovely maps with boring enemies and only a couple of crap weapons looking for switches, then aimlessly poking around trying to figure out what the switch changed, which is often in a different map entirely. Am I missing something or are the Hexen games just awful?

I still like Hexen but the modern day consensus is that Hexen sucks. Heretic is just Doom with a wizard skin so of course it owns now and forever.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ullerrm posted:

It's been sitting in my Steam unplayed folder, daring me to play it. Is it a good "learn the mechanics and it's not so bad" kind of difficulty, or is it more of a "you have a random chance per run to get cornholed by big burly men and there's nothing you can do to anticipate it or prevent it" type?

Mostly the former with a bit of the latter. There's stuff which'll almost certainly catch you off guard the first time round and lead to a wipe, but once you know how to react to can be more or less safely dealt with. It's a really cool little game imo, give it a go

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

THE PENETRATOR posted:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

games are bad

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Buck Turgidson posted:

I picked up the whole series in a steam sale a few years ago, I thought even with Heretic there was too much focus on switch hunting and quasi-platforming. It's kinda weird that Doom had probably the best level design of any fps ever and everything since then, including its own sequel has been a downward turn.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I picked up the whole series in a steam sale a few years ago, I thought even with Heretic there was too much focus on switch hunting and quasi-platforming. It's kinda weird that Doom had probably the best level design of any fps ever and everything since then, including its own sequel has been a downward turn.

Doom 1 level design is mediocre at best, Doom 2 is better and Plutonia is better still, along with WADs and custom maps

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I remember Serious Sam 1 having really great level design, and every subsequent game having worse and worse design until they decided to go grey/brown modern shooter in Serious Sam 3.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

Doom 1 level design is mediocre at best, Doom 2 is better and Plutonia is better still, along with WADs and custom maps

Doom 2 had some of the best levels but also alot more duds, some of the latter levels especially felt really disjointed and reliant on hidden switches/keys. I've never really given Final Doom a proper shake which is something I should probably remedy but Doom felt far more consistent with levels being fun to explore and simple enough that you don't have multiple minute pauses searching for the mechanism to open up the next wing. And played some super highly regarded WAD once and as the game went on the levels starting chucking literal armies of demons at you which just turned into a really boring war of attrition, didn't really do much for me and put me off trying any others to be honest.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

FactsAreUseless posted:

I remember Serious Sam 1 having really great level design, and every subsequent game having worse and worse design until they decided to go grey/brown modern shooter in Serious Sam 3.

I love people defending this, saying that it's just a parody and the game really opens up later on.

It doesn't. It's still the same poo poo brown shooter.

^^^ Well designed custom wads are usually built along the idea that you're an expert at the game, or at least have some idea of how certain mechanics work (i.e. pain thresholds, the bfg mechanics etc) and are more like real-time puzzle games than the regular doom stuff.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jan 6, 2015

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
SS 1&2 had a bunch of open arenas 3 is just small rooms and corridors

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

First encounter blew my fuckin mind as a kid, second encounter wasnt much more amazing but was mostly fun. I didn't like all the flying enemies. I get it, theyre harder to shoot at, can definitely be more fun... but I don't know. They were annoying as poo poo and everywhere. Perhaps better flight animations would have helped but... Anyways I remember some of that from First Encounter, and in that one it was like OH MY GOD THEYRE FLYING AT ME and I don't think it was that often. What I remember of Second was more like cliff racers from hell.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Holy poo poo there's mancubi on the first level of plutonia experiment. rip doomguy

Up to the Elves
Nov 4, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
so are u supposed to play bastion with every difficulty bonus on as you get them?

or am i just the really good and manly gamer expection.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Up to the Elves posted:

so are u supposed to play bastion with every difficulty bonus on as you get them?

Depends, do you feel the game is too easy?
Alternatively, do you want to get every dream related achievement?

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?

Up to the Elves posted:

It's not really a case of "supposed" to do it or not. Do you want the extra challenge or not?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

THE PENETRATOR posted:

:agreed:

bastion was ok, maybe even good, but transistor is way better

Up to the Elves
Nov 4, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ArfJason posted:

Depends, do you feel the game is too easy?
Alternatively, do you want to get every dream related achievement?

yeah its easy but its all or nothing with the difficulty for me. i play games to suffer. i guess cheevos make it worth it.

the most annoying one is the exploding corpses mod, makes me screech and you know what i love it :twisted:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I just can't get into any game nowadays that doesn't have high contrast and judicious use of color. My eyes get bored real quick looking at washed out brown/green landscapes, which unfortunately is the rule rather than the exception.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

I just can't get into any game nowadays that doesn't have high contrast and judicious use of color. My eyes get bored real quick looking at washed out brown/green landscapes, which unfortunately is the rule rather than the exception.
You're not alone. More reasons the Wii U is the best console.

Up to the Elves
Nov 4, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

exquisite tea posted:

can you give an example ? im hoping you're talking about reasonably boring landscapes and not every game that isn't umm maple story. i dont play too many single player games but the few i have recently have been pretty beautiful most times. tomb raider comes to mind for having really wonderful scenes and then rusted boats and metal for the next couple hours

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

New Vegas, the Witcher series, Metro 2033, Grim Dawn. All games people can't shut up about that are just supremely ugly to look at.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

exquisite tea posted:

New Vegas, the Witcher series, Metro 2033, Grim Dawn. All games people can't shut up about that are just supremely ugly to look at.

i cannot remember the last time i heard someone talk about these games

has anything about new fallout been revealed yet

Up to the Elves
Nov 4, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

exquisite tea posted:

after some google image search, i feel you.

i like how the walking dead series, instead of falling into that, ended up being interesting to look at solely on their art style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

exquisite tea posted:

I used to say this, then Borderlands 2 and Sunset Overdrive happened and I realized that conspicuously trying to be colorful and winding up with 90s Nickelodeon rainbow vomit in the name of being wacky and extreme is way worse.

• Locked thread