Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
I am a longtime XBMC user. I have been messing with plex for a few months, and my experience, overall, has been positive.

I've grown impatient with HTPC in general. I used to love to mess with hardware and setup, but family and life dont allow for so much free time anymore. Im willing to mess with stuff, to get it working, but im tired of troubleshooting glitches that show up during operation. I want it to work with 95% reliability, but i seem to hover more around 50%.

My main issue has been a streaming device. My library is on a wifi connected PC with PMS in my theater. PHT running on that PC is basically useless. Slow interface, and stuttering playback. On the same PC, Kodi is flawless, so i use that for watching content when im in the theater.

Streaming to my iphone, Plex works perfectly. trying to Airplay from iphone to AppleTV3 is too slow.

Plex Connect was great, when it worked. issues were: too many reboots of ATV3, settings in the OSD never stuck; kept reverting to 24 hour clock, lack of DTS support.

Airplaying from Iphone to AT3 is ok, but becomes a pain when trying to FF or RW.

Openelec + PHT (not PLexBMC) https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/87943-openelec-plex-home-theater-the-all-in-one-pht-distro/
was also too buggy. it didnt rememeber playback position, if you paused during playback, it would always revert to the main menu when you tried to resume, and it locked up alot. I doubt it was a hardware issue, as the same HTPC ran opnelec+XBMC without issue.

I tried installing PleXBMC on my Openelec/XBMC machine, but i couldnt ever get it to see my library on the newtwork.

FireTV stick lacked 5.1 surround and playlists.

I havent tried Roku3, but they seem ok. browsing through through 1500 titles would be tedious on the Roku's sidescrolling interface.

Right now im using RPi B+. with Rasplex. its unusably slow when navigating the OSD ( i have 1500+ movies), and it doesnt support playlists. but other than that, its been rock solid reliable. I navigate my library and playlists on my phone, and have it stream to the RPi. Once its playing on the RPi, i can use my IR remote to control it. Pause, FF, RW, etc, work fine.

What i really want is for Openelec + PHT to work. that way i get the benefit of fully functional PHT, while getting to choose more powerful hardware than RPi. Does anyone use OPenelec PHT, and have a better experience than me?

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011
I recently bought a NUC Celeron to install Openelec with PHT, and it's been a massive pain in the rear end. When it works, it works great. I mainly wanted it, so I can get proper surround sound to my receiver (Fire TV only did stereo) and remote integration with my Logitech Harmony. Basically I wanted to make it family friendly, but it's been anything but.

-The wifi antennas in that thing is terrible, so I ended up running a 75 foot ethernet cable to it. That fixed the network issues (sort of).
-Then I had frequent HDMI handshake issues, where the NUC would be on, but there would be no display. Sometimes I got sound, sometimes I didn't. After some research, it's a semi common annoyance between certain receivers/displays and pc hardware. Ended up buying this: http://www.amazon.com/Gefen-EXT-HDMI-EDIDP-HDmi-Detective-Plus/dp/B001RIMZUW And it completely solved the hdmi handshake problem. It's expensive, but even if I get rid of the NUC, I'm keeping this little device.
-Also put an ssd in it for nearly instant boot time.
-Openelec with PHT has some weird default settings that cause the screen to flicker in menus that you're going to have to change. On top of that, it configures audio settings incorrectly, resulting in no audio. No biggie, but annoying.
-And lastly, probably the biggest dealbreaker, is that even though it's wired, it sometimes fails to login to Plex. Instead of the menu displaying the categories (TV Shows, Movies, Music, etc), all it says is search. Usually pressing left on the main menu and switching users fixes the issue and logs back in, but that's an extra step that I shouldn't have to do. And, trying to communicate that to a tech illiterate family, absolutely doesn't work.

So we're basically back to using the chromecast, which works 99% of the time (there's occasional issues where it can't be found on the network). But it does support surround, but adds in the minor inconvenience of having to use a tablet/phone to control it instead of the remote.

Perhaps I'll try installing xbmc/kodi on it, and try out plexbmc. Maybe that'll work better.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I used to use all manner of cheap android boxen and lightweight PCs with linux distros and XBMC/Kodi. Getting frustrated with lack of reliability and inability to easily use it with multiple devices; I switched to using PMS on a dedicated PC, with Roku 3 boxes for the clients. Problem solved. It has now been 100% reliable for the several months I have been using this setup.

Granted the Plex interface on Roku is not as nice as the Plex HT interface, but it gets the job done. Its simple, and fast. And really, how often are you looking at the browsing interface anyways? It also solves another issue; I now have one box that does Plex, Netfilx, Hulu, etc... with no workarounds needed. And Roku also supports the DIAL protocol so you can cast videos from the Youtube/Netflix/Plex apps.

My "server" PC is nothing special. A Core i3-4350, 4GB RAM, small 120GB SSD for Windows boot, and a few TB drives for actual media storage. I have 3 TVs in the house, each one with a Roku 3 box.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

fatpat268 posted:

So we're basically back to using the chromecast, which works 99% of the time
This is me. I have a zotac htpc box, but trying to use the openelec plex port was terrible, and using windows with PHT doesnt provide me the experience I want. So I use the chromecast since I dont have the time/patience to deal with xorg configs or any of that poo poo.

I would go back to openelec/xbmc but I am too far down the plex rabbit hole, and the chromecast works pretty much flawlessly. I just don't like having to wake my tablet/phone up to pause but whatever.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

kri kri posted:

This is me. I have a zotac htpc box, but trying to use the openelec plex port was terrible, and using windows with PHT doesnt provide me the experience I want. So I use the chromecast since I dont have the time/patience to deal with xorg configs or any of that poo poo.

I would go back to openelec/xbmc but I am too far down the plex rabbit hole, and the chromecast works pretty much flawlessly. I just don't like having to wake my tablet/phone up to pause but whatever.

I am done with HTPC boxes. I use to like the idea of having a computer connected to my tv. But now I want simplicity. I have a roku stick but dont' like the interface. The interface looks nice on the Fire Stick.
I have never had a problem with my roku stick, I just don't like the interface. My samsung TV has the plex app, it is great.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

kri kri posted:

I started with a couple of ATV2's and XBMC, added an Openelec Pi. Then sold the ATV's and bought a couple of Chromecasts. That is/was so much cleaner, less crashy, and easier. I grabbed a Firestick for $20 when they came out and wish I'd bought 3, so far for me Candide solution.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Can you tab cast from Chrome to the Fire Stick?

e: and can you sideload apps on the fire stick?

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

Gyshall posted:

Can you tab cast from Chrome to the Fire Stick?

e: and can you sideload apps on the fire stick?

I think you can. I haven't had the need to yet

bryn987
May 31, 2014
I wished PHT worked with Chromecast as easily as PMS did.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
When using a chromecast with plex, is the streaming going directly from the router to the CC or is it going via the tablet/phone that you initiate the play media from?

And is that the same for a web streaming channel and for media from the plex server?

Currently I still use dedicated pcs with xbmc and mysql in the home, and just use plex when out and about. Up until the recent overhaul ( :( ) trakt has been flawlessly keeping everything in sync across the two platforms.
Hopefully trakt will get back to how it was and I wont need to look at switching to anything around. For one I really didn't like using plexbmc when I tried that.

MeKeV fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jan 6, 2015

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

MeKeV posted:

When using a chromecast with plex, is the streaming going directly from the router to the CC or is it going via the tablet/phone that you initiate the play media from?

And is that the same for a web streaming channel and for media from the plex server?

From what I understand, once you initiate Plex on your Chromecast via a phone/tablet/web app by clicking the cast icon and selecting your Chromecast, at that point your phone/tablet/PC/Mac/whatever is just a remote to control playback, volume, etc. Streaming goes directly from your PMS to the Chromecast via your home network.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
How does the DLNA work? If I access my Plex library from Kodi on my FireTV through DLNA will there be transcoding or just serving the files directly?

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

TraderStav posted:

How does the DLNA work? If I access my Plex library from Kodi on my FireTV through DLNA will there be transcoding or just serving the files directly?

I think it is a direct stream.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
PlexConnect on Apple TV has been a lot less responsive since I created a MyPlex account name and signed in. Is this typical, or might I just have some coincidentally-timed network/setup problems here?

Now it seems like I can't browse media unless I wait awhile for things to populate in the background first. And videos (once I can actually access the library) seem to buffer like crazy compared to before.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

Minidust posted:

PlexConnect on Apple TV has been a lot less responsive since I created a MyPlex account name and signed in. Is this typical, or might I just have some coincidentally-timed network/setup problems here?

Now it seems like I can't browse media unless I wait awhile for things to populate in the background first. And videos (once I can actually access the library) seem to buffer like crazy compared to before.

Try signing out of MyPlex on your apple TV. While your are signed in it may be streaming via the Internet instead of just across your wifi. This is how my roku seems to work.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.
Plex on my Apple TV 2 all of a sudden stopped seeing my server on the LAN and showing listings. After a lot of fiddling, I got it working, but only by giving it the WAN IP of the server. It's dialing out and back in to stream stuff, which is ridiculous. Anyone have any idea on how can I revert this to work properly?

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

Unacknowledged posted:

Plex on my Apple TV 2 all of a sudden stopped seeing my server on the LAN and showing listings. After a lot of fiddling, I got it working, but only by giving it the WAN IP of the server. It's dialing out and back in to stream stuff, which is ridiculous. Anyone have any idea on how can I revert this to work properly?

On your plex server make sure require authentication on local networks is unchecked
It is located here
Connect: Advanced Settings:

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Chromecast with Plex would be my preferred method of using it but as someone else recently mentioned I hate having to wakeup my phone to pause and whatnot. If there was a physical remote it would be perfect. I'm using a FireTV right now but might switch to the Nexus player eventually since I think that should do it.

Unacknowledged posted:

I had a bitch of a time getting Plex working on my ATV until I figured out Virtualbox had created a virtual network adapter on my PMS and that was loving a whole lot of poo poo up. Have you installed anything like that recently? I was using Plexconnect instead of the app but I'm sure having your PMS broadcasting multiple IPs is overall undesirable.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Raymn posted:

Chromecast with Plex would be my preferred method of using it but as someone else recently mentioned I hate having to wakeup my phone to pause and whatnot. If there was a physical remote it would be perfect. I'm using a FireTV right now but might switch to the Nexus player eventually since I think that should do it.

You just described a FireTV stick, Chromecast with a remote

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Medullah posted:

While it's just my experience with it, the Plex app for the fire TV is terrible and stutters all the time. No issues with my Chromecast.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

havenwaters posted:

While it's just my experience with it, the Plex app for the fire TV is terrible and stutters all the time. No issues with my Chromecast.

Mine is flawless over Ethernet

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

TraderStav posted:

Mine is flawless over Ethernet

I was also over Ethernet. I need to update the fire TV though while saving root so I can keep USB hdd mounting. Might be why I'm having issues.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Medullah posted:

I think I had problems with Plex on my FireTV since I run Plex through XBMC on it instead of with the native app. I can't remember why so I should probably revisit and make sure I'm not making this more difficult than it needs to be.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

havenwaters posted:

Plex on my Firestick has been flawless.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

Raymn posted:

So don't use your phone? You can cast the Plex app from a chrome tab (it's not tab casting, it loads the actual plex app). If the chromecast icon isn't showing up on the web interface, try switching to/from the experimental plex player, and reloading the page.

Granted, that isn't the same as a remote like the firetv one, but if you're already using your laptop nearby or whatever...

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
Ever since I've installed the most recent update, Plex media server doesn't seem to recognize new files. It still sees/plays the old stuff, I don't get any error messages. I run the scans like I always have, and nothing gets added. Stuff I delete is being detected and removed correctly. Has anyone else had this issue? Any troubleshooting steps I should try?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I got HDHR Viewer to work through Plex. Casts through Chromecast like any other transcode. This combined with the existing ability to play .WTV recordings made by WMC and my phone + chromecast have achieved de facto "The One True Box" status. Doing it with an HDHomeRun Extend, which already had an Android app to send live TV to the phone, but it doesn't Chromecast (yes, screen casting works and yes, it's as garbage as always).

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I've recently been rebuilding my audio library from scratch using only lossless (FLAC) quality and was curious as to whether or not Plex is transcoding the FLAC into compressed to my Android app or not. I have looked through the app completely and cannot find any mention of audio transcoding / direct streaming either through toggles or simply information on what is occurring. What is the default behavior for Plex and handling FLAC?

I am considering picking up the Plex Pass as I can easily see it operating as a replacement for Google Music (without the huge variety of music out there, naturally) where I can always attach to the mothership to either stream or download locally the music that I have at home. While FLAC isn't critical on the go, I'd want to have it when playing through my stereo speakers either through my FireTV or Chromecast.

Thanks!

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

gypsyshred posted:

Ever since I've installed the most recent update, Plex media server doesn't seem to recognize new files. It still sees/plays the old stuff, I don't get any error messages. I run the scans like I always have, and nothing gets added. Stuff I delete is being detected and removed correctly. Has anyone else had this issue? Any troubleshooting steps I should try?

Are you set to update as soon as a new file is detected? That hasn't worked for me in a while, I've had to tell it to explicitly refresh every 15/min or so.

Ubuntu 12 install

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I'm on Ubuntu, too. Some time in mid-December Plex stopped recognizing new files for me, too. I tried a lot of stuff, but the only thing that worked was buying Filebot and renaming each file (with hardlinks, so that the download wouldn't break from the renaming), then forcing Plex to rescan the directory.

Yes, this is a pain in the rear end. I'm not sure what happened in mid-December, but Plex went from placidly recognizing and playing files to refusing to admit they even existed unless they followed a precise file/directory structure. Note: If you absolutely cannot get Plex to recognize a file, move it into "Home Movies" (configure Plex to have a Home Movies directory); for some reason, most files are recognized and properly cataloged if I move them there. !?!?!?!?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm on Ubuntu, too. Some time in mid-December Plex stopped recognizing new files for me, too. I tried a lot of stuff, but the only thing that worked was buying Filebot and renaming each file (with hardlinks, so that the download wouldn't break from the renaming), then forcing Plex to rescan the directory.

Yes, this is a pain in the rear end. I'm not sure what happened in mid-December, but Plex went from placidly recognizing and playing files to refusing to admit they even existed unless they followed a precise file/directory structure. Note: If you absolutely cannot get Plex to recognize a file, move it into "Home Movies" (configure Plex to have a Home Movies directory); for some reason, most files are recognized and properly cataloged if I move them there. !?!?!?!?

My files are downloaded to a Golding directory, then moved to the /media/type/name folder they are added to or created. Permissions are wide open on the whole directory, and plex sees it easily if I force a scan or schedule one.

It just doesnt see files dropped in anymore for a couple versions.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

TraderStav posted:

I've recently been rebuilding my audio library from scratch using only lossless (FLAC) quality and was curious as to whether or not Plex is transcoding the FLAC into compressed to my Android app or not. I have looked through the app completely and cannot find any mention of audio transcoding / direct streaming either through toggles or simply information on what is occurring. What is the default behavior for Plex and handling FLAC?

I am considering picking up the Plex Pass as I can easily see it operating as a replacement for Google Music (without the huge variety of music out there, naturally) where I can always attach to the mothership to either stream or download locally the music that I have at home. While FLAC isn't critical on the go, I'd want to have it when playing through my stereo speakers either through my FireTV or Chromecast.

Thanks!

Check the advanced settings. That is where you set the quality of the stream. You should have an option to set direct stream over local network.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006

Roundboy posted:

Are you set to update as soon as a new file is detected? That hasn't worked for me in a while, I've had to tell it to explicitly refresh every 15/min or so.

Ubuntu 12 install

Even if I manually refresh, it still refuses to notice new files.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Is there any way for Plex to deal with movies that are split into multiple files? I have a bunch of movies that are split into 700mb chunks - Plex sees them but starts playing a random one. I'm assuming there's no setting to make that work without combining the videos?

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Medullah posted:

Is there any way for Plex to deal with movies that are split into multiple files? I have a bunch of movies that are split into 700mb chunks - Plex sees them but starts playing a random one. I'm assuming there's no setting to make that work without combining the videos?

It depends how the files are named. I just checked, and it didn't work for a case where files were named:
  • some-show-part-one-encoding.mkv
  • some-show-part-two-encoding.mkv

But if I renamed them as follows, it worked:
  • some-show-encoding-pt1.mkv
  • some-show-encoding-pt2.mkv

When I renamed the files in the 2nd example, the show page indicated the full time (2:05) but the timecode in the web player indicated it was only 1:02 long. But it automatically transitioned to playing the second half after a brief 6 second gap while it started encoding the second file.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Medullah posted:

Plex has pretty good documentation about this:

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200264966-Naming-Stacked-or-Multi-Part-Movies

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Awesome, thanks! I don't know how the hell I lived without this program. I was stubborn and didn't get into xbmc, just using PS3 Media Server and streaming to my Xbox. Got a Chromecast and decided to give it a shot... Wish I could go back and smack myself

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Plex does have a naming convention guide so that your shows are recognized in their forms. always check that if something on your pc isn't at least showing up in plex.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I'm having trouble getting the plex.tv/web/app instance of the Web Player to find/recognize the PMS instance on my new laptop. If i use the manual IP address method (my.laptop's.ip:correctport/web/index.html), it works fine, but obviously that's not ideal and doesn't let me check all my libraries. Both my new laptop's instance of PMS and the plex.tv/web instance are logged into the same Plex account.

What gives?

Never mind, the Media Server instance WASN'T properly associated with my Plex account. My bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

porktree posted:

Plex on my Firestick has been flawless.

I'm thinking there might be a hardware issue with some Firesticks.

Some people have no issues, mine drops wireless network in almost every mode(I have a really nice Asus router, the signal is fine), but more importantly the Plex app has enough issues that there's a thread over on the Plex forums specifically trying to find the solution.

I also purchased a non-stick FireTV and it runs Plex 100% awesome over ethernet.