Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

BeanBandit posted:

loving hell, why can't things in X-Wing obey simple laws of motion? At least 90% of my deaths happen when I'm pursuing a ship, I fire the killing shot, and a chunk of the destroyed ship instantly loses all inertia and comes flying straight toward me.

Space physics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

BeanBandit posted:

loving hell, why can't things in X-Wing obey simple laws of motion? At least 90% of my deaths happen when I'm pursuing a ship, I fire the killing shot, and a chunk of the destroyed ship instantly loses all inertia and comes flying straight toward me.
Should have boosted that front shield. :smugdog:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

JustJeff88 posted:

I somehow received an extra key for Age of Wonders 1 when they were giving it away. Please say something if you claim it.

9C759-8BE12-7B1FB-4B8C6

Thanks!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

BeanBandit posted:

It's not flying towards you, it's decelerated relative to you because of the ship exploding halfway along its axis! :science:

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's not flying towards you, it's decelerated relative to you because of the ship exploding halfway along its axis! :science:

Well yes, I suppose something that was flying in one direction then immediately changes direction and hits me in the face has decelerated very quickly relative to me. I'm about to accelerate this game off my god drat hard drive. :mad:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
X-Wing is really the bastard older child to Tie Fighter; the quality of life improvements Tie Fighter introduces (matching speed with target is a lifesaver in and of itself) make playing it hard.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Chunks flying backwards into your face is also 10x more frustrating in TIE Fighter since you don't have shields for a lot of the game.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!

Bubbacub posted:

Chunks flying backwards into your face is also 10x more frustrating in TIE Fighter since you don't have shields for a lot of the game.

For some reason, I don't remember it being as big of a problem in TIE Fighter. In any case, I just beat the last mission of tour 5, so I'm officially done with X-Wing! :)

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

You're quite welcome. Thank you for actually claiming that you claimed it; many don't bother.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Party Plane Jones posted:

X-Wing is really the bastard older child to Tie Fighter; the quality of life improvements Tie Fighter introduces (matching speed with target is a lifesaver in and of itself) make playing it hard.

I'm pretty sure there's a Match Speed With Target command even in the original release of X-Wing. I'm fairly certain I made use of it back with my old floppy disc copy.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

jivjov posted:

I'm pretty sure there's a Match Speed With Target command even in the original release of X-Wing. I'm fairly certain I made use of it back with my old floppy disc copy.

It's not on the floppy disc copy from what I remember (enter is bound to fire weapon or something); I think it's only on the 98 Collector's CD.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BeanBandit posted:

2 or 3 thing that were also destroyed hit it in such a way to counteract almost all of its inertia too? Not everything breaks the same way.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

BeanBandit posted:

Well yes, I suppose something that was flying in one direction then immediately changes direction and hits me in the face has decelerated very quickly relative to me. I'm about to accelerate this game off my god drat hard drive. :mad:

Enemy ship is flying in a straight line at 100 km/h.

You are flying in a straight line behind it at 100 km/h.

You blow it up. The explosion pushes a bunch of bits in random directions away from itself, and for bits that are between you and the explosion, that direction is "backwards." The ship débris is now travelling in a straight line at 50km/h, having been slowed down by the blast. You're still flying at 100km/h, so you fly into débris at 50 km/h (relative speed).

Replace kilometres per hour with megalights.

(I'm actually pretty sure that X/T vehicle wrecks generate débris that is propelled away from the explosion point as if the exploding vehicle were completely stationary, but whatever.)

e;

BeanBandit posted:

jesus christ

tl;dr stop being near things that explode.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jan 5, 2015

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!
jesus christ

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

If TIE Fighter/Xwing were a few notches towards "fun game" instead of "dense simulation" the might actually be playable

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mortimer posted:

If TIE Fighter/Xwing were a few notches towards "fun game" instead of "dense simulation" the might actually be playable

Have you tried Rebel Assault

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

He wants a playable game that's fun, not to smack into the walls of Beggar's Canyon twenty times before giving up out of frustration.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Neddy Seagoon posted:

He wants a playable game that's fun, not to smack into the walls of Beggar's Canyon twenty times before giving up out of frustration.

Look, guys. I just want to make it out of the second death star before it explodes. Please stop crashing your X-wings directly into the front of my ship. Or whatever crazyness it was that meant I never got around to clearing the final level of Rebel Assault 2.

As for the X-wing crashing into things shenanigans... Does the X-wing game from GOG not have the "No collisions" option lie tie fighter? I've only played a bit of tie-fighter 98, and my one time trying to launch X-wing it didn't want to exit properly and I had to reset my computer :v:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

No but I have played rogue squadron.

Am I wrong in thinking this http://youtu.be/Dqd3XJakRaE?t=2m23s
is more fun than this? http://youtu.be/HZq9pQHAU_w?t=2m17s

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Mortimer posted:

I never cared for shooters on rail, and I really enjoyed TIE Fighter. Though I definitely appreciated TIE Fighter letting me know when it's time to give up a mission, as opposed to X-Wing where I would pointlessly fight a lost battle without realizing it.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Daler Mehndi posted:

I never cared for shooters on rail, and I really enjoyed TIE Fighter. Though I definitely appreciated TIE Fighter letting me know when it's time to give up a mission, as opposed to X-Wing where I would pointlessly fight a lost battle without realizing it.

The first one isn't on rail, bud. Neither of them are.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!

Mortimer posted:

They're both fun to me, but the Rogue Squadron games obviously focus more on action and less on trying to "simulate" flying a fighter. I've always liked my games to have more sim elements to them, so I tend to prefer games like X-Wing and TIE Fighter, even if they tend to have more downtime and fiddly bits in between the shooting parts.

Also, you linked a TIE Fighter video that doesn't have a lot going on. In TIE Fighter, I think they did a good job of packing lots of action and twists into the missions. You're usually doing things like dodging fire from X-Wings while chasing down an escaping transport, ordering your wingmen to take out that shuttle on your rear end, oh poo poo, that A-Wing just launched missiles at me and knocked out my shields and there goes my wingman and oh no, delta wing are actually traitorous Rebel scum! :eek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFAUFZIQqIg&t=229s

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Mortimer posted:

The first one isn't on rail, bud. Neither of them are.
Ah okay. I saw the X-Wing moving on a 2d plane and incorrectly assumed it was.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Speaking of Rogue Squadron, the Dolphin emulator finally updated to allow support for both Rogue Leader and Rebel Strike. The implementation of the new z-freeze patch isn't perfect (as some of those framerate slowdowns, plus the odd stretching, display), but it's a solid step towards having these games playable in 1080:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aSwW986VrI

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

BeanBandit posted:

They're both fun to me, but the Rogue Squadron games obviously focus more on action and less on trying to "simulate" flying a fighter. I've always liked my games to have more sim elements to them, so I tend to prefer games like X-Wing and TIE Fighter, even if they tend to have more downtime and fiddly bits in between the shooting parts.

Also, you linked a TIE Fighter video that doesn't have a lot going on. In TIE Fighter, I think they did a good job of packing lots of action and twists into the missions. You're usually doing things like dodging fire from X-Wings while chasing down an escaping transport, ordering your wingmen to take out that shuttle on your rear end, oh poo poo, that A-Wing just launched missiles at me and knocked out my shields and there goes my wingman and oh no, delta wing are actually traitorous Rebel scum! :eek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFAUFZIQqIg&t=229s

That video has a dogfight with 3 tie bombers :confused: yes more going on okay. I guess I've played five other missions where you fire lasers at max range to avoid getting 1-shot.

I see "beam power redirected to engines at maximum rate" and my brain shuts off. I think "why is that a mechanic requiring more keybindings and not automatic? why isn't there an option to make it automatic?". If you like flight sim-type games that's fine, I understand the appeal of those sometimes, but for this thread to go nuts over this game with obtuse mechanics when better, easier to get into alternatives exist is weird. Either I've drastically underestimated the audience for flight simulators or this thread's sight is rosier-tinted than I thought.

Cross-Section posted:

Speaking of Rogue Squadron, the Dolphin emulator finally updated to allow support for both Rogue Leader and Rebel Strike. The implementation of the new z-freeze patch isn't perfect (as some of those framerate slowdowns, plus the odd stretching, display), but it's a solid step towards having these games playable in 1080:

Holy craaaap :pcgaming:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Cross-Section posted:

I'm so close to no longer needing my Wii.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cross-Section posted:

I still remember seeing this for the first time in some E3 or Spaceworld trailer and being blown away by how much better it was over the N64/PSX graphics :allears:.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Rebel Assault (2) is needed to acknowledge the supremacy of the Sienar fleet systems Tie Phantom, shared loosely by the majesty that is the Tie Defender.

Any superior fighter that you ever got in video games, pale in comparison to the tie defender, which is a bit of a misnomer, unless you consider the saying "The best defense is a good offense".

Whatever nerdy poo poo i just typed up, know that if you pilot the Tie Defender or a missile boat, you are the OICW of the operation.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Mortimer posted:

I see "beam power redirected to engines at maximum rate" and my brain shuts off. I think "why is that a mechanic requiring more keybindings and not automatic? why isn't there an option to make it automatic?".
Because you might still need those beams for something?
Energy management in a space sim became sort of a regular feature since then.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mortimer posted:

That video has a dogfight with 3 tie bombers :confused: yes more going on okay. I guess I've played five other missions where you fire lasers at max range to avoid getting 1-shot.

I see "beam power redirected to engines at maximum rate" and my brain shuts off. I think "why is that a mechanic requiring more keybindings and not automatic? why isn't there an option to make it automatic?". If you like flight sim-type games that's fine, I understand the appeal of those sometimes, but for this thread to go nuts over this game with obtuse mechanics when better, easier to get into alternatives exist is weird. Either I've drastically underestimated the audience for flight simulators or this thread's sight is rosier-tinted than I thought.

You should visit the Euro Truck Simulator 2 thread some time, that will really blow your mind.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Mortimer posted:

X-Wing and TIE are great, but they're simple as poo poo. They're not even considered "sims". Most flight sims have five times as many controls as X/TIE.

captainhowdy
Jan 3, 2014

Now kindly undo these straps.
OK that's it, I'm picking up Tie Fighter again.
Need fodder for my new HOTAS.
Hope it will still entertain me like back in the day.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Bubbacub posted:

Yeah, and some ships are basically just flying shrapnel/suicide bombs. Looking at you, B-wings.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

OAquinas posted:

Yeah, and some ships are basically just flying shrapnel/suicide bombs. Looking at you, B-wings.

B-Wings? Pretty much any -Wing craft will get you if you're in knife-fighting distance. A-Wings are probably the safest in that regard since they just have the fuselage, Y-Wings will send one of their engines at you, X-Wings will send their wings at you and then there's the B-Wing

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!

Aces High posted:

B-Wings? Pretty much any -Wing craft will get you if you're in knife-fighting distance. A-Wings are probably the safest in that regard since they just have the fuselage, Y-Wings will send one of their engines at you, X-Wings will send their wings at you and then there's the B-Wing

Shuttles and transports were always the main culprits for me. Nevermind the fact that the people who pilot those things are suicidal.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Mortimer posted:

for this thread to go nuts over this game with obtuse mechanics when better, easier to get into alternatives exist is weird

Is it? It's a thread full of people who like classic PC games, and appreciating (or at least being able to get over) occasionally-obtuse mechanics tends to go hand-in-hand with that.

Also it's one of the least complex space sims out there.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Aces High posted:

Yeah, but B-Wings especially seemed prone to spawning mass shrapnel. I think the chance of it is based on how much "overkill" is done on the ship, and BWings are tough enough to not get the "clean" kill too often.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Cross-Section posted:

I don't want to start a to-do about FILES!, but the last update to the Dolphin Emulator that I've seen was late 2013, about 15 months ago. Care to point a finger for us?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

JustJeff88 posted:

I don't want to start a to-do about FILES!, but the last update to the Dolphin Emulator that I've seen was late 2013, about 15 months ago. Care to point a finger for us?

Download is here:
https://dolphin-emu.org/download/?ref=btn

Games thread for Dolphin is here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3423255

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Thank you; I'd bookmarked another download page that apparently only had antiquated versions on it. Cheers.