Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Lets Pickle posted:

I can think of plenty of aggro decks (in core sets) that really wanted and used one lava Axe. If the opponent is at 5 or less I can't really think of a better card to kill them with. This is basically infinite copies of Lava Axe in your deck at the cost of one card, which is not a terrible deal considering it also turns on ferocious and triggers any "When your Dragons attack" ability.

I think because of Dash people are going to have to prioritize playing safer and trying not to tap out late in the game, which makes this a bit worse. I could also see a better version of this at uncommon or rare that is basically the same thing but with Dash instead of the shuffle clause. I guess the RB dragon is pretty close to that.

This card isn't an infinate lava axe. It's a worse lava axe that can be blocked and for all intents and purposes is exiled after u cast it. Lava ax itself is barely playable. And there is zero comparison to dash which is very powerful in a bunch of matchups. Ntm you can just play out those creatures if the situation dictates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
The only circumstance I could ever see wanting this card is if you're playing a *really* long game and you want a card that you can just keep casting and putting into your library at end step and thus never loose from drawing zero cards.

At that point you might as well have just drafted all the Cranial Archives.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I was playing pack wars a couple of days ago and have never been so happy to see a Cranial Archive.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Well, I ordered the last cards I need for a torpor terror modern deck.
Card actions
Columns
4 Avatar of Discord
4 Eater of Days
2 Etched Monstrosity
4 Hunted Horror
3 Hunted Phantasm

4 Muddle the Mixture
4 Shred Memory
3 Turn Aside

4 Sundial of the Infinite
4 Torpor Orb

3 Darkslick Shores
2 Drowned Catacomb
7 Island
9 Swamp
2 Temple of Deceit
1 Watery Grave

Sideboard

2 Dismember
3 Echoing Truth
2 Spell Pierce
2 Squelch
3 Surgical Extraction
3 Inquisition of Kozilek

If I understand it right, if I have torpor orb out, I don't give my opponent tokens or discard cards, or give my creatures -1/-1 counters, or skip turns, I just have giant loving creatures with no downside, for super cheap
I can use my copies of my instants to either seek up my hunted dudes or avatars, and counter burn or removal spells against my dudes or artifacts.

Sundial of the Infinite is there to end my turns in response to opponents' spells and abilities I can't counter, such as board wipes, and instead of the opponents' spells going to their graveyards, they're exiled? So if my opponent is flashing out a creature post my attack step, before blockers, I activate sundial, and upon my sundial's ability resolution, their creature spell is exiled?

If I activate sundial in response to them fetching a land on my turn, do they still get their land, or does it interrupt it?

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001
Read sundial again. The second sentence.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

kizudarake posted:

Sundial of the Infinite is there to end my turns in response to opponents' spells and abilities I can't counter, such as board wipes, and instead of the opponents' spells going to their graveyards, they're exiled? So if my opponent is flashing out a creature post my attack step, before blockers, I activate sundial, and upon my sundial's ability resolution, their creature spell is exiled?

If I activate sundial in response to them fetching a land on my turn, do they still get their land, or does it interrupt it?

Correct. When Sundial's ability resolves anything on the stack (a creature with flash, a fetchland activation or an Eater of Days trigger, whatever) will be exiled from the stack and never resolve. Keep in mind you can only use Sundial during your turn so it's not quite as powerful as it might seem. People will just cast stuff on their turn if they don't want you to stop it with Sundial.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

kizudarake posted:

Well, I ordered the last cards I need for a torpor terror modern deck.
Card actions
Columns
4 Avatar of Discord
4 Eater of Days
2 Etched Monstrosity
4 Hunted Horror
3 Hunted Phantasm

4 Muddle the Mixture
4 Shred Memory
3 Turn Aside

4 Sundial of the Infinite
4 Torpor Orb

3 Darkslick Shores
2 Drowned Catacomb
7 Island
9 Swamp
2 Temple of Deceit
1 Watery Grave

Sideboard

2 Dismember
3 Echoing Truth
2 Spell Pierce
2 Squelch
3 Surgical Extraction
3 Inquisition of Kozilek

If I understand it right, if I have torpor orb out, I don't give my opponent tokens or discard cards, or give my creatures -1/-1 counters, or skip turns, I just have giant loving creatures with no downside, for super cheap
I can use my copies of my instants to either seek up my hunted dudes or avatars, and counter burn or removal spells against my dudes or artifacts.

I experimented with a deck similar to this earlier this summer. I had Hushwing Gryffs instead of Sundials, and I only ran Hunted Horror, Eater of Days, and Nyxathid as the big creatures, and because they were all 7 power or more, I could run Not of This World as a free counter spell to prevent them from getting removed. I ran a basic B/W base with thoughtseizes, path to exiles, and inquisition of kozileks. I also ran 2 Dark Confidents and 2 Spellskites. For more consistency, I was considering splashing blue for Serum Visions and Spell Pierces.

My experience was that it was really slow and you relied on discard spells to make sure you opponent didn't outpace you, since at best, you were attacking with a big creature turn 4, which is often too slow for modern. Whether it's counterspells or discard, you have to disrupt your opponent. You'll either get your ETB disruptors destroyed at instant speed or you'll be run over by faster decks. I tried putting in Simian Spirit Guide to get the occassional turn 1 Torpor Orb, which was pretty unreliable ramp. I also tried Lightning Greaves to give the creatures haste. I also tried Apostle's Blessing for backup 1 mana protection.

I still like the concept and I'm still trying to make it work, so it's cool to see other people trying similar stuff. Having 8 maindeck Torpor Orb effect shuts down a lot of stuff in Modern. It makes it almost impossible for Twin to win, it shuts off the Melira/Persist combos, it nullifies Vendillion Cliques and Snapcaster Mage strategies, it kills any Craterhoof Behemoth based wins. I really like Avatar of Discord, though BBB is a rough mana cost. I didn't like that Nyxathid could be chump blocked, so the flying Avatar has might be worth a switch.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Fish Of Doom posted:

I experimented with a deck similar to this earlier this summer. I had Hushwing Gryffs instead of Sundials, and I only ran Hunted Horror, Eater of Days, and Nyxathid as the big creatures, and because they were all 7 power or more, I could run Not of This World as a free counter spell to prevent them from getting removed. I ran a basic B/W base with thoughtseizes, path to exiles, and inquisition of kozileks. I also ran 2 Dark Confidents and 2 Spellskites. For more consistency, I was considering splashing blue for Serum Visions and Spell Pierces.

My experience was that it was really slow and you relied on discard spells to make sure you opponent didn't outpace you, since at best, you were attacking with a big creature turn 4, which is often too slow for modern. Whether it's counterspells or discard, you have to disrupt your opponent. You'll either get your ETB disruptors destroyed at instant speed or you'll be run over by faster decks. I tried putting in Simian Spirit Guide to get the occassional turn 1 Torpor Orb, which was pretty unreliable ramp. I also tried Lightning Greaves to give the creatures haste. I also tried Apostle's Blessing for backup 1 mana protection.

I still like the concept and I'm still trying to make it work, so it's cool to see other people trying similar stuff. Having 8 maindeck Torpor Orb effect shuts down a lot of stuff in Modern. It makes it almost impossible for Twin to win, it shuts off the Melira/Persist combos, it nullifies Vendillion Cliques and Snapcaster Mage strategies, it kills any Craterhoof Behemoth based wins. I really like Avatar of Discord, though BBB is a rough mana cost. I didn't like that Nyxathid could be chump blocked, so the flying Avatar has might be worth a switch.

Well, I'm switching 2 ea of the swamps and islands for fetches, and quite possibly tossing in a couple more shocks. I might throw in a cruise or a dig somehow, and an elixir of immortality as a one or two of.

It helps that my local meta is one guy who plays serious decks, and everyone else running stuff they slapped together from cards that were my common and uncommon cast offs, so no one will know what the gently caress I'm doing until I've done it.

Anil Dikshit fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jan 6, 2015

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

kizudarake posted:

Torpor Orb doesn't affect Etched Monstrosity, and you can't avoid the counters with Sundial of the Infinite, because Etched Monstrosity doesn't have a triggered ability.

Just in case, all the abilities you are trying to avoid are triggered abilities not activated abilities, so you can't target them with Squelch.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Applebees posted:

Torpor Orb doesn't affect Etched Monstrosity, and you can't avoid the counters with Sundial of the Infinite, because Etched Monstrosity doesn't have a triggered ability.

Just in case, all the abilities you are trying to avoid are triggered abilities not activated abilities, so you can't target them with Squelch.

Now I'm trying to figure out a slightly edited mana base that might let me trigger etched monstrosity's activated ability. poo poo.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Instead, figure out a slightly edited mana base that'll let you play Vexing Devil.

magicalblender
Sep 29, 2007

Fish Of Doom posted:

I didn't like that Nyxathid could be chump blocked, so the flying Avatar has might be worth a switch.

I don't think Nyxathid interacts with Torpor Orb or Sundial, anyway. "As [name] enters the battlefield" is a replacement effect, rather than a triggered ability. You can't sundial before you choose a player, because replacement effects don't use the stack the way triggered abilities do.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Demonlord of Ashmouth could work well in that slot. It's not as insanely large but it has both evasion and resistance to removal.

I kindof like it as an idea, if you're gonna build a budget modern deck you might as well build it around an absurd gimmick.

e: or if you're really desperate for something huge at 5 mana there's always Sky Swallower

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jan 6, 2015

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

superstepa posted:

Has there ever been a competetive game on camera where someone tried to cast Goblin Game? I refuse to believe that there is not a single player who tried to resolve it as a joke
From Gatherer:

quote:

If you can't find something convenient to hide, write numbers on a piece of paper and reveal the numbers. Make sure the numbers are unambiguous (for example, underline a 6 or 9 so it can't be misread).
Resolving one wouldn't be all that hard.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
How is dimir cutpurse just a spirit and not a spirit rogue? Cutpurse is in the name!

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

Wadjamaloo posted:

From Gatherer:

Resolving one wouldn't be all that hard.

This is even how Magic Online handles Goblin Game, yeah.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

So this is a little bit spicy, especially for a common:

And this seems really, really powerful:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

(Bit boring these two^)

e:a little beaten

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I really don't like Manifest as a mechanic. Hope I'm wrong.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

mcmagic posted:

I'm iffy on it, and there is way more of it than I thought there'd be.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
They're really cramming manifest on everything, it seems. Going a little hard on the mechanic for a smaller set.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Reality Shift feels super fake to me. I know the guy has a picture of it and it's a polymorph variant and it's probably real, but it still feels too close to blue creature removal.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

mcmagic posted:

I wonder whether it'll end up making Courser's ability that much more of a boon or a liability.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Manifest sucks

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Fierce Invocation shoulda been an instant so it wouldn't feel so similar to the green card.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Rinkles posted:

e:a little beaten

I got a little excited when I saw the X and thought it was going to be "Manifest the top X cards of your library".

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Elyv posted:

Reality Shift feels super fake to me. I know the guy has a picture of it and it's a polymorph variant and it's probably real, but it still feels too close to blue creature removal.

It would arguably be the most efficient removal of standard, at instant speed no less.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Rinkles posted:

It would arguably be the most efficient removal of standard, at instant speed no less.

Also a potentially fun way to dick over a top-keep scry. :haw:

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I was kind of hoping manifest was going to be a fringe mechanic that wasn't going to see much play because it feels like it's going to confuse a lot of people. Now I feel like it's going to see play beyond standard.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
They need some undercosted creatures with bad ETB triggers to make manifest interesting. Illusory Angel is kind of a combo I guess?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

redstormpopcorn posted:

Also a potentially fun way to dick over a top-keep scry. :haw:

Manifest even neuters Siege Rhino

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Elyv posted:

Yeah, it would be much more believable if it said destroy and can't be regenerated instead of exile :v:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I was kind of hoping manifest was going to be a fringe mechanic that wasn't going to see much play because it feels like it's going to confuse a lot of people. Now I feel like it's going to see play beyond standard.

That blue polymorph variant will probably see play in some capacity, everything else seems way to weak.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

Yeah, it would be much more believable if it said destroy and can't be regenerated instead of exile :v:

And if it only cost U. And Manifests were 3/3s. :v:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

forbidden lesbian posted:

That blue polymorph variant will probably see play in some capacity, everything else seems way to weak.

There is that 5cmc 4/4 mythic that spits out a 2/2 every turn, w/ an insurance against wraths.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

forbidden lesbian posted:

I foresee that capacity is many draw step activations on Courser

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

also some clash pack art here

Elyv fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 6, 2015

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Why do the commons and uncommons have the hologram?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

whydirt posted:

Why do the commons and uncommons have the hologram?

Because they belong to those clans?

• Locked thread