Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
When I watched a History Channel special on the fall of Singapore, the point they dwelt on much more heavily than bicycle infantry was the IJA quickly fording all manner of streams and creeks and rivers across the Malay Peninsula by using men as mobile bridge struts. There were these pictures of soldiers standing waist- or even shoulder-deep in water holding up planks/logs while the rest of their troop marched over them.

That said I don't that in particular was the "secret weapon" so much as the Japanese invading Singapore through the Peninsula, across land, in the first place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Imperial Japans Secret Weapon: Maneuvering! Next time on SECRET WEAPONS OF WW2

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Agean90 posted:

Imperial Japans Secret Weapon: Maneuvering! Next time on SECRET WEAPONS OF WW2

A special they had on the seaplane-carrying "super" submarine was the funniest thing because they tried so hard to puff it up to this really scary weapon that could bomb the CONUS with impunity

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

gradenko_2000 posted:

A special they had on the seaplane-carrying "super" submarine was the funniest thing because they tried so hard to puff it up to this really scary weapon that could bomb the CONUS with impunity

There's a plaque in my mother's neighborhood (Dundee, Omaha, NE) commemorating a Japanese fire balloon having made it there and exploding, causing no damage.

The intelligence folks kept the news suppressed so that the Japanese military wouldn't be able to use the news to calibrate further balloon bombs.The fact that a balloon made it practically to the dead center of the country is pretty significant, though.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

"Why is Lithuania so small" is actually an obvious thought for anyone with a rudimentary awareness of the Glorious Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, such as from the better history books or playing Europa Universalis IV.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

"Why is Lithuania so small" is actually an obvious thought for anyone with a rudimentary awareness of the Glorious Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, such as from the better history books or playing Europa Universalis IV.

Considering how many people know that Lithuania exists and how many learn about history of other countries... For example, I don't remember anything about TYW from school. Probably because reformation went over quite smooth (and apparently the PLC had established religious freedom a lot earlier) and we didn't have a bigger dog in the race.

Oh the glory of the days past...

Although if you played Lithuania is EUIV, you know why it collapsed!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JcDent posted:

For example, I don't remember anything about TYW from school.
Well, neither did I. And now look.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jan 6, 2015

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Recommend me a book: I want to get a few books about aerial combat tactics. Some grognardy books about WW2 aviation would be particularly nice.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Bacarruda posted:

My book are on the other side of the Pacific Ocean atm, but there's a great story I read about an Australian guy on a scooter outrunning a bunch of Japanese soldiers. His platoon was trapped and they needed to get a message out. So the Aussie commandeered a scooter and charged the Japanese headlong. Apparently they were so stunned, they didn't fire a shot and just scrambled out of the way as the lunatic Australian barreled through their lines.

I know it's probably the motorbike version, but I'm still imagining of breaking through enemy lines on this

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Ensign Expendable posted:

Most of them haven't ever seen a tractor, let alone worked with one. The cavalry was just incredibly conservative and averse to change.

I think people are giving soviet cavalry too little credit. They were incredibly effective in the woods at Leningrad during WWII, running through the freezing snow and loving (admittedly demoralized and losing) german infantry up with sabers. Their knowledge of rough terrain fighting, hardy steeds and no-fucks-given cossack attitude arguably did the same things tanks could, and a lot faster.

Tias fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jan 6, 2015

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Disinterested posted:

Recommend me a book: I want to get a few books about aerial combat tactics. Some grognardy books about WW2 aviation would be particularly nice.

Bergerud, Fire in the Sky is a great book about WWII air battles in the South Pacific.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Fragrag posted:

I know it's probably the motorbike version, but I'm still imagining of breaking through enemy lines on this

From what I remember, it was basically a 1940s-vintage Razor scooter. Maybe something like this?

Quite possibly the least-dignified form of military transportation ever devised.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Disinterested posted:

Robert Shaw's Fighter Combat: Tactics and Maneuvering is a classic. It's written by a fighter pilot for fighter pilots, and is relevant for WW2 and modern fighters. Shaw presents a situation and teaches the tactics for guns-only combat, and then for rear-aspect only missiles as well as modern all-aspect missiles.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

JcDent posted:

Considering how many people know that Lithuania exists and how many learn about history of other countries... For example, I don't remember anything about TYW from school. Probably because reformation went over quite smooth (and apparently the PLC had established religious freedom a lot earlier) and we didn't have a bigger dog in the race.

Oh the glory of the days past...

Although if you played Lithuania is EUIV, you know why it collapsed!

Because Russia strong!

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Robert Shaw's Fighter Combat: Tactics and Maneuvering is a classic. It's written by a fighter pilot for fighter pilots, and is relevant for WW2 and modern fighters. Shaw presents a situation and teaches the tactics for guns-only combat, and then for rear-aspect only missiles as well as modern all-aspect missiles.

God bless used books: that book is expensive new.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

FAUXTON posted:

There's a plaque in my mother's neighborhood (Dundee, Omaha, NE) commemorating a Japanese fire balloon having made it there and exploding, causing no damage.

The intelligence folks kept the news suppressed so that the Japanese military wouldn't be able to use the news to calibrate further balloon bombs.The fact that a balloon made it practically to the dead center of the country is pretty significant, though.

Eventually the intelligence folks stopped suppressing it, because a family in Oregon got themselves blown up when they saw one in the woods and started playing around with it.

Interestingly, one of those bombs landed on the power lines which supplied power for the cooling pumps for the production reactor at Hanford.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Raenir Salazar posted:

Because Russia strong!

No, because you're not oppressing the local population out of their culture. Eventually they start getting ideas, like "if I'm not a Lithuanian, why I should I be part of Lithuania?". And being szlectaboos,

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

In his 'Ghosts of the Ostfront' series Dan Carlin mentioned a Soviet cavalry charge down a valley full of retreating Germans. Can anybody tell me more of this incident?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Bacarruda posted:

From what I remember, it was basically a 1940s-vintage Razor scooter. Maybe something like this?

Quite possibly the least-dignified form of military transportation ever devised.

Just you wait until someone pulls off an attack with segways or unicycles.

If they used rollerblades though, that would just be rad.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Bacarruda posted:

How dignified are kicksleds?

"Evacuating a Russian POW who stepped into a mine in Kontupohja. November 3 1941"

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Just you wait until someone pulls off an attack with segways or unicycles.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

HEY GAL posted:

Well, neither did I. And now look.

We never were told about it, just the basics of the reformation and the English Civil War.

I had to learn about Prince Rupert myself dammit.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
What are those guns? They look like dinky stripped down AKs of some variety.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Arquinsiel posted:

What are those guns? They look like dinky stripped down AKs of some variety.

I think they're Type 79 SMGs but I am really really not an expert on guns.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Loving the guy in the back with a sniper rifle.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Personally, I like the guy trying to use a one inch wide pole as cover. Would it really through things off so much to mount a frikking riot shield on the front of the thing or something?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Alright men, they're dug in with heavy weapons and they've closed all the side exits. We need to get across the plaza - fast. There is no other choice, we can't lose any more hostages.

Prepare for segway charge. Lock your throttle and stay low.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Slavvy posted:

Alright men, they're dug in with heavy weapons and they've closed all the side exits. We need to get across the plaza - fast. There is no other choice, we can't lose any more hostages.

Prepare for segway charge. Lock your throttle and stay low.

When can their glory fade?
O the wild charge they made!
All the world wondered.
Honour the charge they made,
Honour the Segway Brigade,
Noble six hundred.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Might wanna go with "honor the Seg' Brigade" or something like that, otherwise you gently caress up the meter.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Might wanna go with "honor the Seg' Brigade" or something like that, otherwise you gently caress up the meter.

Nah, syllable-wise it matches the first line.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
What exactly would the tactical advantage of the Segway Brigade be compared to just running around?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

FAUXTON posted:

No it doesn't. Unless you pronounce "glory" with three syllables or something. It's supposed to link to "HON ' OR the CHARGE they MADE '" anyways.

(And "Last of the Light Brigade" is better :colbert:)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

FAUXTON posted:

Poetry has different syllables to real speech. Scansion is basically black magic.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

All caught back up. Huzzah.

Yesterday: The French have finally given First Artois up as a bad job, there's a typhoid epidemic brewing in the mountains near Sarikamis, and some poor bugger in the BEF has been given Field Punishment Number One for missing roll call, so I'm having a quick look at what FP 1 was like.

Today: The early history of Etaples, soon to be the BEF's major camp in France. Right now, it apparently looks like nothing so much as a really bad music festival, right down to the joker who won't stop trying to play Tipperary. Oh, and the blokes are still having fun with travelling in cattle trucks.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I feel like coming up with punishments worse than just having to continue to live in a trench as a WWI soldier must have been pretty tricky.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Loving the guy in the back with a sniper rifle.
That's not a rifle.

It's a crossbow!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Davin Valkri posted:

No it doesn't. Unless you pronounce "glory" with three syllables or something. It's supposed to link to "HON ' OR the CHARGE they MADE '" anyways.

(And "Last of the Light Brigade" is better :colbert:)

Glo-ry, with the O being taken as longer than the 'ry and lining up with "Segway." Brig' would match the 'ry, and 'gade would match Fade.

If it was music, "Glory" would comprise three eighth notes, so yeah three syllables in a sense, just weird to perceive as written.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Tomn posted:

What exactly would the tactical advantage of the Segway Brigade be compared to just running around?

There's actually a lot of interest in sort of....mobility/strength enhancers for infantry types. A Segway is maybe kind of a primitive form of this. I have no idea what the capabilities are of a Segway but if it can move me 30km cross country without me having to use my legs, or if it can carry my kit while I walk alongside.....

Charging into battle on them though, that seems a little silly.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Trin Tragula posted:

Today: The early history of Etaples, soon to be the BEF's major camp in France. Right now, it apparently looks like nothing so much as a really bad music festival, right down to the joker who won't stop trying to play Tipperary.

That song must have gotten old really really fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Tomn posted:

Gun stabilisation, maybe?

• Locked thread