Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SedanChair posted:

Oh that is precious. They'll just say Obama is going against the constitution, and that's why there's gridlock because the GOP is too busy trying to keep America from becoming a dictatorship to pass bills.

Counterargument: "My Senator/Representative is fighting the good fight but those RINOs in the party leadership are controlling the party and keeping us from [conservative position here]".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

On Terra Firma posted:

We never learn in this thread do we?

SedanChair posted:

Oh that is precious. They'll just say Obama is going against the constitution, and that's why there's gridlock because the GOP is too busy trying to keep America from becoming a dictatorship to pass bills.

I meant that bit to be sarcastic, but I think I failed. bqwhatvwr

zoux posted:

Like a week ago there were all these articles about how Bohener was perfectly safe. Did something change or is this the media horse racing it?

It's just horse race nonsense.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jan 6, 2015

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

do you guys have a link to a cspan stream that doesn't require me to authenticate my lack of cable/satellite tv?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

DJ BK posted:

do you guys have a link to a cspan stream that doesn't require me to authenticate my lack of cable/satellite tv?

http://www.c-span.org/video/?323586-1/washington-journal-preview-114th-congress&live

The "Live Now" links on C-SPAN don't require validation, just the ones under "TV Networks".

Here's the list of people who are not voting for Boehner:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2015/01/05/the-boehner-for-speaker-whip-count/ posted:

Voting against Boehner (13)

Gohmert*
Yoho*
Rep. Steve King (Iowa)
Rep. Jim Bridenstine (Okla.)*
Rep. Dave Brat (Va.) (freshman)
Rep. Walter Jones (N.C.)*
Rep. Gary Palmer (Ala.) (freshman)
Rep. Thomas Massie (Ky.)*
Rep. Paul Gosar (Ariz.)
Rep. Marlin Stutzman (Ind.)
Rep. Curt Clawson (Fla.)
Rep. Justin Amash (Mich.)
Rep. Randy Weber (Tex.)

Said prior to 2014 election that they would vote against Boehner (2)

Rep. Jody Hice (Ga.) (freshman)
Rep. John Ratfliffe (Tex.) (freshman)

Voted against Boehner in 2013/haven't weighed in (1)

Rep. Steve Pearce (N.M.) (spokesman says he's "undecided")

Voted against Boehner in 2013/will support him (3)

Rep. Mick Mulvaney (S.C.)
Rep. Raul Labrador (Idaho)
Rep. Tim Huelskamp (Kan.)**

(**Huelskamp said in November that he won't commit to voting for Boehner if there is a second ballot.)

So, the likely/possible votes against Boehner currently stand at 16, with 29 being the magic number.

Meanwhile, you have another hour or so to enjoy the fact that this website actually exists: http://gohmertforspeaker.com/

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Fried Chicken posted:

Is there something beyond the Great Depression thee that I'm missing?

Yea, I feel like I'm missing something else here...

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Joementum posted:

Meanwhile, you have another hour or so to enjoy the fact that this website actually exists: http://gohmertforspeaker.com/

I've never noticed before how much Louie Gohmert looks like a bald Scott Walker.

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

thanks joe

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Joementum posted:

http://www.c-span.org/video/?323586-1/washington-journal-preview-114th-congress&live

The "Live Now" links on C-SPAN don't require validation, just the ones under "TV Networks".

Here's the list of people who are not voting for Boehner:

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010
So when Stutzman isn't busy jockeying for a position in the leadership, he's actively trying to undermine the Speaker. Does he know how politics works?

(Insert "We have to get something out of this. And I don't even know what it is" clip here)

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Ahh, C-SPAN callers. "We gotta vote against Boehner because he stopped the impeachment, which is what Obama wanted, and repeal Obamacare because it's... it's just goofy!"

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Joementum posted:

Ahh, C-SPAN callers. "We gotta vote against Boehner because he stopped the impeachment, which is what Obama wanted, and repeal Obamacare because it's... it's just goofy!"

Vox populi Vox dei

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Amergin posted:

Wonderful Fresh Air bit with Steven Brill on why Obamacare is nice because it helps a bunch of people get insurance but it's actually stupid and doesn't really do anything to cut healthcare costs at all.

Mostly because Obama is about as bureaucratic, in-bed-with-lobbyists and surrounded by yes-men (and women!) as you can get. Which is usually what happens when you dole out positions based on how much people contributed to your campaign, and not based on merit.

I also agree that we should return to the virtuous meritocracy of George W. Bush.

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

So boner wins because nobody wants to run against him because when they lose they get blackballed? Politics?
edit: strategery?

An Apple A Gay fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 6, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He wins because most people are fine with him being Speaker.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
And his only serious challenger was defeated in a primary last year by a college professor who thinks that Ayn Rand was the second coming of Jesus.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Joementum posted:

And his only serious challenger was defeated in a primary last year by a college professor who thinks that Ayn Rand was the second coming of Jesus.

Well, Scalise could have made a play here, but the news about his speaking engagement has him laying low for now.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

DJ BK posted:

So boner wins because nobody wants to run against him because when they lose they get blackballed? Politics?
edit: strategery?

Most Republicans are fine with Boehner remaining Speaker or realize how embarrassing it would be for the party to have their leader voted out of office by a group of radicals.

Plus, I would imagine that if you vote against Boehner and he still wins that it will significantly hamper your ability to work in the House. Unless you have a big name, the leadership is not going to tolerate sabotage and will actively deny you and your district opportunities.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
                                                                                          \
                                                                                           \

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Fried Chicken posted:

Vox populi Vox dei

I'm sorry we were looking for Vox populi Vox canem. Vox populi Vox humbug would also have been acceptable.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

QuoProQuid posted:

Most Republicans are fine with Boehner remaining Speaker or realize how embarrassing it would be for the party to have their leader voted out of office by a group of radicals.

Plus, I would imagine that if you vote against Boehner and he still wins that it will significantly hamper your ability to work in the House. Unless you have a big name, the leadership is not going to tolerate sabotage and will actively deny you and your district opportunities.

The sort of radicals who would vote against the weepy orange man don't give a poo poo about leadership or district opportunities beyond the opportunity to grandstand.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Ones fanning the Boehner flames here are loud assholes that just want attention.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I'm sorry we were looking for Vox populi Vox canem. Vox populi Vox humbug would also have been acceptable.

So I wonder if ancient Athens had a version of Tea Party nutbags that stood up every ecclesia and ranted about poo poo they knew nothing about. These words are lost to modern historians as no one committed them to stone.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

zoux posted:

So I wonder if ancient Athens had a version of Tea Party nutbags that stood up every ecclesia and ranted about poo poo they knew nothing about. These words are lost to modern historians as no one committed them to stone.
Half of Plato's dialogues are him talking to people who ranted about poo poo they knew nothing about.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Half of Plato's dialogues are him talking to people who ranted about poo poo they knew nothing about.

Yeah but those are history's earliest strawmen.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Abel Wingnut posted:

Yea, I feel like I'm missing something else here...

I believe the irony in Newt's quote is related to his own tenure as Speaker of the House

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Someone was trying to spread the rumour that the accident happened in a sex swing.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Of course, we all know the government really operates on the principle of lucre sermat. Which leaves the rest of us excretus ex fortuna, but if we complain they can always fall back on the justification of quia ego sic dico, enforced by the police under the doctrine of fabricati diem punc

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

What time (ish) is the speaker vote today? I know it'll probably be pretty boring and relatively "most people cool with Boehner? Cool. Done.", but I still am hoping for a miracle.

Edit: Gotta love the CSPAN Pic for Biden

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Guys we really shouldn't be rooting for Team Chaos in our own government.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

SgtScruffy posted:

What time (ish) is the speaker vote today? I know it'll probably be pretty boring and relatively "most people cool with Boehner? Cool. Done.", but I still am hoping for a miracle.

12:40 I believe

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

zoux posted:

I'm less rooting FOR it as I would be rooting for the like, 4 hours of :supaburn: immediately following it that would be hilarious. Everything after that would probably be terrible dysfunction to levels even currently unseen... but those four hours would be pretty sweet.

Edit: VVV He put it better.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

zoux posted:

How will it be different from our current situation? Might as well root for maximum hilarity.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Fried Chicken posted:

Of course, we all know the government really operates on the principle of lucre sermat. Which leaves the rest of us excretus ex fortuna, but if we complain they can always fall back on the justification of quia ego sic dico, enforced by the police under the doctrine of fabricati diem punc

you should probably bone up on your west wing and general sherman quotes if you think discworld is where I pulled those from.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Post 9-11 User posted:

My brother is a veteran and this documentary is what convinced him that VICE is the business. I'm excited what their news agency will become when they're finished setting up all the bureaus (there are more hipsters now but they seem to be funneling them into busy work).

You can watch the ISIS one on SIPRNet.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Public whip count is now at 18 against Boehner and Daniel Webster is also running for Speaker.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Stultus Maximus posted:

The sort of radicals who would vote against the weepy orange man don't give a poo poo about leadership or district opportunities beyond the opportunity to grandstand.

As I said, most Republicans in Congress are not Tea Party "true believers" and actually possess a sense of self-preservation. Unless the number gets close to 28 and it looks like Boehner is going down, I don't think there will be any major defections.

Joementum posted:

Public whip count is now at 18 against Boehner and Daniel Webster is also running for Speaker.

Who are the two additions? I assume Daniel Webster is one.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 6, 2015

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Meanwhile, the Police Unions are calling on Congress to make changes to hate crime laws to include "The Police" as a protected class.

http://www.fop.net/servlet/display/news_article?id=6015&XSL=xsl_pages%2Fpublic_news_individual.xsl&nocache=449270

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
'Whammy!' - Louie Gohmert

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

zoux posted:

You're right, wouldn't want to throw a wrench into the finely tuned efficiency of congress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Aerox posted:

Meanwhile, the Police Unions are calling on Congress to make changes to hate crime laws to include "The Police" as a protected class.

http://www.fop.net/servlet/display/news_article?id=6015&XSL=xsl_pages%2Fpublic_news_individual.xsl&nocache=449270

They are such babies, the slightest criticism and they go full on temper tantrum.

• Locked thread