Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

qirex posted:

I think boston is the most racist place I've ever been

billy west used to do an impression of marge schott (former owner of the cincinnati reds) with a ridiculous boston accent and the most over-the-top racism ever. he said the accent was based on an actual woman he had heard saying things like that while in boston. there are some nasty people here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Boston: The Pittsburgh of New England.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

hobbesmaster posted:

be fair it said he was on administrative leave but didn't say if it was with or without pay

search your heart

what does it tell you

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Citizen Tayne posted:

Boston: The Pittsburgh of New England.

is pittsburgh super-racist? i know you go after newspaper articles and so on, but is it worse than other cities?

Apr 7, 2003

prefect posted:

is pittsburgh super-racist? i know you go after newspaper articles and so on, but is it worse than other cities?

I have been sitting at a bus stop waiting for a bus with a guy I'd rode the bus with every day for a year when suddenly he goes off about how all the "welfare people standing around downtown should die" apropos of nothing.

just today I noticed on the Pittsburgh subreddit that the new dog whistle phrase is "Southern Italians." "Bloomfield used to be majority Italian, but now the Southern Italians are taking over and ruining it."

Apr 7, 2003

My real estate agent suggested a street I should buy on by saying "The ghetto element isn't there."

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

what does that mean, sicilians? the mob is taking over?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Citizen Tayne posted:

My real estate agent suggested a street I should buy on by saying "The ghetto element isn't there."

"What, like the Jewish ghetto in Warsaw?"

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sagebrush posted:

what does that mean, sicilians? the mob is taking over?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3yon2GyoiM

Apr 7, 2003

I don't know why people assume it's cool to talk that way in front of me because I never say anything to indicate that I may lean that way, but it's so prevalent that you just start ignoring it because you can't change the world.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

rumbles in philly this year, tori

mania will be in sv lol

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

an extra light lights up a left arrow

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Citizen Tayne posted:

just today I noticed on the Pittsburgh subreddit that the new dog whistle phrase is "Southern Italians."

reminder when the notre dame (gently caress notre dame) mascot was a black guy the commentary was 'southern mediterranean irish'

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Citizen Tayne posted:

I don't know why people assume it's cool to talk that way in front of me because I never say anything to indicate that I may lean that way, but it's so prevalent that you just start ignoring it because you can't change the world.

I had an officemate say to me that he liked the apartment he looked at but the streets around it were too "working class" because there were a lot of hondas parked there.

I drove a honda at the time.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

qirex posted:

I think boston is the most racist place I've ever been

People tend to forget the south isn't the same as the 1860s and states like Oregon and California are full of KKK types or even the bigoted casual racists.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Citizen Tayne posted:

I'm pretty sure a Realtor is barred from saying that. My stepdad tells me stories of clients asking him how many black people live in the neighborhood,etc. He just tells them to drive around the neighborhood to get a feel if it's a good fit for them. This is in Memphis.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

sonatinas posted:

People tend to forget the south isn't the same as the 1860s and states like Oregon and California are full of KKK types or even the bigoted casual racists.

everywhere in the 1860s was terrible unless your baseline for acceptable is "does not literally own people"

there were race riots about the chinese before and during the civil war

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

computer parts posted:

everywhere in the 1860s was terrible unless your baseline for acceptable is "does not literally own people"

there were race riots about the chinese before and during the civil war

I'm talking about the average person's perceptions.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Citizen Tayne posted:

you look like they do, that's why

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

sonatinas posted:

yes but unlike the south they don't complete control over the political and social apparatus

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

I had an officemate say to me that he liked the apartment he looked at but the streets around it were too "working class" because there were a lot of hondas parked there.

I drove a honda at the time.

lol if he doesn't realize that the cars on the streets are the maids or the teenage kids and the expensive cars are inside the garage

if you go to a neighborhood where the high end mercedeses and poo poo are parked on the street, it's because they have ferraris and bentleys in the garage

exception: if it's all new 3-series bmws then the people are just as average as the guy driving a corolla, just with much higher debt ratios

sonatinas posted:

I'm pretty sure a Realtor is barred from saying that. My stepdad tells me stories of clients asking him how many black people live in the neighborhood,etc. He just tells them to drive around the neighborhood to get a feel if it's a good fit for them. This is in Memphis.

yeah a lot of places have specific laws about this. i was with a friend looking for apartments in chicago once and the guy wasn't even allowed to say if there were lots of other college kids around the area or how many units in the building were occupied.

Apr 7, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

lol if he doesn't realize that the cars on the streets are the maids or the teenage kids and the expensive cars are inside the garage

lol at this assumption that every city neighborhood has garages

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

http://www.joeeames.me/?p=11

I want to loving murder this person

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Sagebrush posted:

if you go to a neighborhood where the high end mercedeses and poo poo are parked on the street, it's because they have ferraris and bentleys in the garage

exception: if it's all new 3-series bmws then the people are just as average as the guy driving a corolla, just with much higher debt ratios

his dream car was an audi or a mustang which I think tells you all you need to know.

but just in case it didn't he also complained that girls he would date always turned out to be too desperate.

Apr 7, 2003

triple sulk posted:

Reminder that programmers are still low-bean peons in our developing economy. No tech entrepreneur is teaching his kids to program for the same reason that Henry Clay Frick didn't teach his kids how to operate a blast furnace.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

triple sulk posted:

jeeeeeeesus

chriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiist

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

triple sulk posted:

14 Year Old Prodigy Programmer Dreams In Code

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

BONGHITZ posted:

I'm pretty sure i would never run from the police

i know someone who has run from police dogs

twice

first time he was brought down and the second time he was treed after tryin to escape across a lake

(he's in the navy now since the judge gave him the option)

there is no way i would gently caress around with a police dog

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Citizen Tayne posted:

lol at this assumption that every city neighborhood has garages

rich neighborhoods in the city do, somewhere. might be underground or out back where the horses used to be stabled but they're there. for this reason you will never see a bunch of wealthy fuckers all living somewhere and all parking their wealthy fucker cars out on the street.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

duTrieux. posted:

yes but unlike the south they don't complete control over the political and social apparatus

rick snyder would disagree

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

(he's in the navy now since the judge gave him the option)

a friend of a friend got busted with some blow and the judge was like 'do you want to go to jail or do a second tour in iraq'

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

triple sulk posted:

:wtc:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i would be all "hey, puppy!" and trying to be its friend

and then i'd get my rear end kicked

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

sonatinas posted:

when edwin edwards ran for governor against former kkk grand wizard david duke, the edwards campaign was successful by putting out these bumper stickers

this was in 1991

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

graph posted:

a friend of a friend got busted with some blow and the judge was like 'do you want to go to jail or do a second tour in iraq'

the military apparently absolutely hates when judges so this

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

remember! if you try to fend off a police dog it's legally the same as punching a police officer in the face

here is an article about a skateboarder who was skating away from a policeman he didn't realize was there who wanted to stop him, but he had his headphones on so he couldn't hear the policeman yelling, so the cop set his dog on the guy and it pulled him off the board and ripped open his leg and he needed 100 staples to close the wound.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/police-dog-attack-sparks-vancouver-lawsuit-1.1171352

Apr 7, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

rich neighborhoods in the city do, somewhere. might be underground or out back where the horses used to be stabled but they're there. for this reason you will never see a bunch of wealthy fuckers all living somewhere and all parking their wealthy fucker cars out on the street.

I guess this would make sense if the original post you responded to said that they were discussing a rich neighborhood, which they absolutely weren't.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

remember! if you try to fend off a police dog it's legally the same as punching a police officer in the face

here is an article about a skateboarder who was skating away from a policeman he didn't realize was there who wanted to stop him, but he had his headphones on so he couldn't hear the policeman yelling, so the cop set his dog on the guy and it pulled him off the board and ripped open his leg and he needed 100 staples to close the wound.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/police-dog-attack-sparks-vancouver-lawsuit-1.1171352

what happens if you throw them some hotdogs that you have in your pocket and also you're white

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Sagebrush posted:

someone got like 20 years for shooting a cop dog and all the dog people on facebook cried when the local news showed the dog military-style funeral

• Locked thread