Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
The physical fitness testing they do at BMQ for Reg Force is sort of a hybrid of the old Express and the new Forces test - you still have the 20m shuttle run, but in lieu of pushups/situps/grip strength they make you do the sandbag drag and an intermittent run (it's directly from the Forces test so I won't describe it - the time alotted of 51s is pretty generous). Practicing pushups wouldn't be a bad idea, as would be situps, but primarily build up cardio. If you're applying to the primary reserve, you just do a straight up FORCES test. Honestly, if you can run 2km without stopping/having a massive coronary, you shouldn't have difficulty with either test.

Infantry recruiting into the Reg F is pretty thin until the new fiscal year, but for the primary reserve it will definitely vary by unit. 32 CBG looks like it has a whole boatload of different units, but I guess it comes down to what's local for you. I know that for 39 CBG they're forecasting a need for way higher numbers than we've seen coming in before, so it's more or less a matter of simply passing the thresholds of medical/interview/aptitude testing/fitness testing/reliability.

I'll try to answer any other specific recruiting questions you may have, albeit with a western canada specific viewpoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

MA-Horus posted:

You're not going to put a squat rack into a small apartment. That's just silly.

Yeah, this. You need a fairly decent chunk of space to put it in, so in this case the gym would probably be the only real option for squats(best lift ever), unless you had a friend or family member with some unused garage/basement space who's also interested in getting started lifting. Regardless, the stuff I mentioned is going like, way beyond what the FORCES test requires from everything I've heard talking to the guys when I worked at 4 Wing for a summer and when I sat in with one of the reserve bands. But the way I see it, if you're trying to get to a baseline fitness level to get into the Forces, you may as well go all in on getting into shape, even if only for yourself.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

My last posting was shift work so it usually wasn't practicable for me to use the on base gym. Since you live in TO, check out FitnessAvenue in Barrie. They have some knockoff house brand poo poo that's solid enough quality for a fraction of the price. I got a squat rack for 250 and an incline/decline/preacher/leg curl bench for 100, among other things. Get weights from kijiji and you can put together a pretty awesome home gym for a few hundred bucks that can fit in your basement (just make sure whatever floor you're putting it on is reinforced and protected).

Are there cheaper ways to get in shape? Sure. But it's not necessarily impossible to set up a decent home gym in an apartment if it's what you're after.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Dec 26, 2014

Addman
Dec 6, 2005
Sorry, I forgot to mention it is a basement apartment in a big house but yes my section is small. I could potentially rig something up with the squat rack or find an alternative. I just want to make a solid plan and go through with it as every time I have tried to do this something has come up in life and I have had to put it off. I want to maybe do reg force but I already applied for reserve, I am debating whether I want to give up my steady full time office job that I hate. When I initially applied to reg force infantry they basically told me there were no spots and closed my application, this is a year or 2 ago though.

I'm sure I can pass the force test I just need more time to prepare if I have to do the pushups and situps. The only thing I am worried about is the medical, I was on accutane about 10 years ago but I will obviously mention it when applying regardless. Do you guys think that would be a problem if it no longer affects me in any way? I have sorted out everything else in my power that is involved with preparation (credit, volunteering, not using drugs etc) other than getting super jack3d_sniperatorjtf1.

For the running couch2 5k is exactly what I had in mind, it is part of those other programs that simplify the process like 100 pushups - exactly what I need. I understand that obviously if I am joining I should be getting into shape fully, just wanted some confidence on requirements to give myself a reality check. You guys are really helpful and I appreciate it.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Infantry seems to be the big draw, but it's also the trade that seems to fill up pretty quickly - it does open and close periodically, but I believe next fiscal they will be looking to recruit quite a few. If you have any technical skills/interests, the Reg F is always looking for ACISS (signals) and Vehicle techs, as well as lots of other tech trades. If you're just looking for combat arms, perhaps consider expanding your scope to include arty/armoured/combat engineering, as those sometimes have more/less space. Have you written a CFAT yet? That'll be the first big hurdle that determines whether or not you'll ever get a callback for your desired Reg F job (not as crucial for PRes).

Addman
Dec 6, 2005

Simkin posted:

Infantry seems to be the big draw, but it's also the trade that seems to fill up pretty quickly - it does open and close periodically, but I believe next fiscal they will be looking to recruit quite a few. If you have any technical skills/interests, the Reg F is always looking for ACISS (signals) and Vehicle techs, as well as lots of other tech trades. If you're just looking for combat arms, perhaps consider expanding your scope to include arty/armoured/combat engineering, as those sometimes have more/less space. Have you written a CFAT yet? That'll be the first big hurdle that determines whether or not you'll ever get a callback for your desired Reg F job (not as crucial for PRes).

I do think I currently have the skillset to do ACISS as my current job is related to it, and that would get me in quicker but I was told you shouldn't settle for another trade instead of the one you wanted or you will be miserable. I actually had combat engineer on my list as it is an option in Toronto.

I have not got to the CFAT portion yet unfortunately. All I know about the CFAT is that it is apparently a lot harder in person than the practice test they provide you, and it is multiple choice right? That is interesting I didn't know the cfat was less crucial for reserves. When you did your cfat did you study before it? I haven't been in high school for 10 years so my math on paper is probably a bit rusty. There seems to be 2 camps of people when it comes to studying for cfat, one saying that you shouldn't study because its an aptitude test and you can retake it, others are paying for online refresher sites.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

My favourite thing about the new obsession with Crossfit is that most ultra-swole crossfitters fall out during runs or rucks, and are pretty much garbage at all PT that doesn't involve flailing around with weights.

The rate at which they injure themselves is alarming though.

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 26, 2014

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Frosted Flake posted:

My favourite thing about the new obsession with Crossfit is that most ultra-swole crossfitters fall out during runs or rucks, and are pretty much garbage at all PT that doesn't invilve flailing around with weights.

The rate at which they injure themselves is alarming though.

Lemme guess; shoulder tears, pulled backs and blown knees for the most part.

That's what happens when you olympic lift with bad loving form.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Cross fit is to fitness like chiropracty is to medicine (in other words, total bullshit where the only benefits come from doing things inadvertently that other real practices do with legitimacy)

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Simkin posted:

Infantry seems to be the big draw, but it's also the trade that seems to fill up pretty quickly - it does open and close periodically, but I believe next fiscal they will be looking to recruit quite a few.

Is this the case for Infantry Officers as well coming up? I recently applied DEO Int O (super long-shot, I know), Inf O, and Armd O. I was previously an Inf O in ROTP (medical release), so I know my CFAT scores are competitive enough for all three trades, but hopefully I won't get too bogged down in the medical process.

Also, I don't know if you know this for sure or not, but I've heard that ArmdO doesn't hire through DEO. Is that the case?

MagicCube fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 26, 2014

Addman
Dec 6, 2005

MagicCube posted:

Also, I don't know if you know this for sure or not, but I've heard that ArmdO doesn't hire through DEO. Is that the case?

No, this is not true. There is a DEO entry plan for Armour Officer.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
If you have any questions specifically about the reserves, I've been an instructor for the past 2 years teaching week-end BMQs and infantry DP1s. Feel free to ask. I will try to answer to the best of my ability.

CFAT: Don't sweat it. The hardest thing about the test is the spatial relationships and that really only matters if you want to be a pilot. For reference, infantry is second only to cook with the lowest entry bar. Anybody's son will do. If you are doing a job that is already the equivalent of a signaller, you will find it a breeze. Practice some basic algebra, multiplication tables, long division by hand. It's still multiple choice and the correct answer is always C.

Medical: For your accutane.... If it was 10 years ago, I wouldn't even mention it. Now, when they ask you their questions pertaining to your health, I am not telling you to lie and obfuscate the truth but I am telling you to be intelligent in your answers.

For example, if they ask you, "Do you get headaches? do you suffer periods of fatigue?" do not reply "Yes". Of course you get headaches. Everyone gets loving headaches from time to time and feels tired, but if you tell medical staff that, they will tell you to come back with a neurologist's report that you had to pay for with your own dime what you already know to be true. Meanwhile, your application will be thrown to the bottom of the heap. I'm sure this is common sense, but some people get weirded out by the whole process and, with the best of intentions, hang themselves with their own belt during their application process.

Fitness: Any routine that incorporates a mixture of raw, explosive strength (the ability to pick up heavy things) with endurance (picking up said heavy things frequently for prolonged periods of time) is good. Do not neglect either as they are both equally important. Naturally, the more equipment you have at your disposal, the better, but you don't need a squat rack or 100 lbs dumbells to get in shape (Again, they wouldn't hurt though!). Calisthenics can do wonders for you and can be done in the most spartan of environments. pushups, sit-ups, the plank, pull-ups, squats, burpees and lunges are your friends. Do not neglect stretching. In fact, I 100% endorse you picking up yoga to streghten you and reduce the chance of injury, even moreso if you are an older guy and not an 18 year old with Wolverine's regenerative powers.. It's what's kept me going so far with minimal wear and tear to my body.

From experience, the vast majority of injuries I see recruits get are related to morning runs and prolonged periods of physical stress (long marches with heavy loads, patrolling through the woods, digging). Kids nowadays are softer than ever, so the more you toughen yourself up, the better you'll do. You won't feel the effects of mental and physical fatigue as acutely as your peers, and you will find any task easier to accomplish. Don't be intimidated, though. No one expects a bunch of JCVDs and George St-Pierres to come piling off the bus for BMQ. It'll be a slow, gradual build up of physical exigencies. I actually was less in shape after battle school then when I first showed up in St-Jean.

Barrakketh fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 29, 2014

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Oh, and practice the goddamn sandbag lift before the FORCES test. That and the rushes were the hardest part.

Addman
Dec 6, 2005
Thank you Barraketh and everyone for answering all my questions, I will try to think of some other questions. Your responses have made me worry less about the application process. I know I am not the only person in the category of the application progress who over thinks things, but since it such a long time between application and BMQ I start to question myself.

The only 2 trades I have been looking at are Infantry and Combat Engineer, but I would strongly prefer infantry. I like the idea that combat engineer gets to blow stuff up a couple times a year but building bases/bridges doesn't appeal to me that much. I am glad that I don't have to worry about the CFAT as much, I like that you were able to explain to me in simple terms exactly what to expect. I am guessing you can retake the cfat anyways, especially if you want to apply for a new trade later on. The video that you included was interesting, I have never heard of that series. I think I have literally watched every Canadian forces video that exists on youtube, including all the French ones as I also speak French.

Yeah the accutane was over 10 years ago, I think I was 17 and I am 28 now - I just wasn't sure how the medical forms work. I know a lot of the application forms are sectioned off as "within this 5 year period what did you do in this category?" kind of thing. Thank you for the advice regarding the medical, I have heard a lot of people having to get waivers for just about everything and you can get disqualified for 1000s of things. This is the part I am most nervous about as it makes me question everything I have done the past 10 years. If I am generally in good health, with good vision, and no deformities I am hoping that I will be ok. My drug use past wasn't exactly squeaky clean but I realized what I was doing was stupid and haven't done any for like 6 years or so.

That fitness link you sent looks like something good to work towards, I am a bit limited in my resources but bodyweight exercises might be perfect. I am definitely a bit behind as I have been working an office job the past 7 years and I am 28 but I know it is doable. I understand I don't need to be in crazy shape necessarily but I don't want to be holding everyone up or be in a world of hurt either.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Really do apply yourself to fitness stuff though if you want to do infantry. If not for yourself, then for your future sections when you do basic and other stuff. Meeting the minimum is great and all, but there's really no worse feeling than being the Pte. Pile of your platoon.

Addman
Dec 6, 2005
I completely understand, it is definitely something I can change it just unfortunately takes awhile. I am completely serious about all of this and it can be pretty overwhelming but it is what I want to do. It is already going to be a challenging experience, I really hope I am not the weakest person and will try my best in the time I have assuming I get an offer.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Do you do any volunteering-like work or work with community groups? I tried reapplying last year and didn't even qualify for infantry because of that, and I had just left the military a year prior as an infantry MCpl with 7 years in and an Afghanistan tour.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
That's crazy.

Addman
Dec 6, 2005
All I have for volunteering is doing 2 seasons of volunteering for 2 OVFL football teams, as well as assisting teams across Ontario fitting football equipment properly. I tried volunteering for the Toronto Military Family Resource Centre, I heard back but it never went anywhere after that. I have heard if the volunteering is not longer than like 8 months its not that great. For community groups I am a freemason but not sure if that counts.

I guess I will try to stay optimistic.

edit: curious, were you applying for reserves or reg? When I applied for reg last year I was told they weren't even processing applications. I'm applying for primary res

Addman fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 29, 2014

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I was in the reg force previously (final year was reserves), applying for reg force again. I have no idea what the reserve application is like. I also taught a BMQ/BMQ-L when I was in the reserves and it's pretty different from reg force, although I guess there was a six-year difference between the two. We barely had any scheduled PT and the field work was mainly limited to BMQ-L - even that was pretty tame. I had a great group of kids who were all really into it but we just didn't have the time in our schedule. I can't see any other reserve units being much more difficult.

That sounds like it may be good enough "community service" hours or whatever. It really sounded like one of those things you could probably bullshit your way through but I'm not really that sort of guy and just played it straight.

Addman
Dec 6, 2005
The reserves application goes like this in my area
1. Apply Online to create your online profile on the site
2. Fill in the application package (I am 99 percent sure this is the exact same set of documents I had to fill out for reg)
3. Collect the required ORIGINAL documentation (birth certificate, id, transcripts etc)
4. Book a contact interview with your recruiter

Yes as I understand you are expected to be responsible for your own pt for reserves, there is basically none that is organized. According to a MCpl friend of mine in the reserves anyways, I am not a member and I never have been. All I have done is air cadets for a couple years in Trenton.

To be honest I am sorry you feel that way but I completely understand, I did a lot more community service (100s of hours) in years prior but it was long enough ago that I can't include it in my application. I did the football volunteering with the purpose of joining the army if that is what you are referring to, it was every night of the week except Sunday for about 6 hours for 13 weeks the first time I did it and about half that the second time I did it for another team two years later or so.

Freemasonry has limited volunteer programs that are sporadic such as masonichip which works with the police to create a child identification kit for children at public events such as fairs. The parents can get a package that collects photos, video, voice recordings, digital fingerprints, dental impressions, saliva swabs as well as traditional statistical information (height, weight, hair and eye colour, etc.) in order to indentify your child if they are lost or missing.

If you could help me find any sort of volunteering resources I would greatly appreciate it. I am not looking to trick the system in any way which is the main reason I have waited so long to ask every question imaginable and apply. If I wasn't such an idiot in highschool it would have been much easier for me. When I applied last year they weren't even accepting people, so now all my work that I have done is aging and will soon fall off the application. I switched to reserves so that I could hopefully get a spot and not waste another year, with possible hopes of waiting a couple years, doing an OT after finding out I enjoy the occupation (I know reserves is not "try before you buy" but I would rather get into the reserves than never get a chance to be in the army). If you are in my area and want someone to volunteer with I'd be happy to join you.

Addman fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 30, 2014

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

A lot of municipalities of any moderate size or up will have volunteer centres where they can give you a wide array of options for volunteering. Otherwise there's always the staples in any town of volunteering at the hospital or soup kitchen, or their equivalents. And during the summer you can always volunteer for various camps and organizations that run programs for kids when school's out. There's seriously a shitload of stuff that's really easy to get into unless you live in a tiny community.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Addman posted:

The reserves application goes like this in my area
1. Apply Online to create your online profile on the site
2. Fill in the application package (I am 99 percent sure this is the exact same set of documents I had to fill out for reg)
3. Collect the required ORIGINAL documentation (birth certificate, id, transcripts etc)
4. Book a contact interview with your recruiter

Yes as I understand you are expected to be responsible for your own pt for reserves, there is basically none that is organized. According to a MCpl friend of mine in the reserves anyways, I am not a member and I never have been. All I have done is air cadets for a couple years in Trenton.

To be honest I am sorry you feel that way but I completely understand, I did a lot more community service (100s of hours) in years prior but it was long enough ago that I can't include it in my application. I did the football volunteering with the purpose of joining the army if that is what you are referring to, it was every night of the week except Sunday for about 6 hours for 13 weeks the first time I did it and about half that the second time I did it for another team two years later or so.

Freemasonry has limited volunteer programs that are sporadic such as masonichip which works with the police to create a child identification kit for children at public events such as fairs. The parents can get a package that collects photos, video, voice recordings, digital fingerprints, dental impressions, saliva swabs as well as traditional statistical information (height, weight, hair and eye colour, etc.) in order to indentify your child if they are lost or missing.

If you could help me find any sort of volunteering resources I would greatly appreciate it. I am not looking to trick the system in any way which is the main reason I have waited so long to ask every question imaginable and apply. If I wasn't such an idiot in highschool it would have been much easier for me. When I applied last year they weren't even accepting people, so now all my work that I have done is aging and will soon fall off the application. I switched to reserves so that I could hopefully get a spot and not waste another year, with possible hopes of waiting a couple years, doing an OT after finding out I enjoy the occupation (I know reserves is not "try before you buy" but I would rather get into the reserves than never get a chance to be in the army). If you are in my area and want someone to volunteer with I'd be happy to join you.

Volunteering at a cadet corps is actually pretty sweet if the officers(who are reservists themselves) and the other volunteers are cool. They're everywhere, its pretty rewarding in terms of getting to do cool things yourself as well as help out with facilitating kids having fun, and yeah. Would recommend if you're really looking for some steady volunteer hours.

Addman
Dec 6, 2005
I know that a lot of places have volunteer centers but I have no idea what I would enjoy. I have always just picked the first thing that came to me. I picked the Toronto Military Family Resource Centre because I thought that even if I couldn't get in I could help organize events, but, they seem a little apathetic.

As for the cadets, I loved it, it was one of the most challenging things I ever did as a young kid and I was also in boy scouts at the same time. I got to fly gliders and learn all sorts of poo poo about airplanes, work at all the airshows at cfb trenton, and do cadet basic at cfb Trenton. I don't know why I didn't think of that I will look in my area for volunteer opportunities. Most volunteer opportunities offer little to no info on what you are actually doing until you get there or are extremely hard to get into. Thank you so much for this suggestion.

edit: what do you know, the Toronto cadet unit near me is parading at 6 o'clock tomorrow and is a 10 min walking distance from my new apartment. I finish work at 5 and I live 7 min away from my apartment. I will contact them tomorrow, I'm not sure what position I will be able to fill but I hope that they need help.

Addman fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 30, 2014

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .
Does anyone have any experience/suggestions on Officer applications as naturalized citizen?

I suspect it probably removes any chance of being accepted to something like Intelligence, but would it also restrict me from something like Signals?

E: For what it's worth I was born in South America and chances of Canada ever operating in my birth country are virtually non-existent.

Science fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 1, 2015

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I don't think the CAF is as anal as the US armed forces about that kind of stuff. I know a few people who are naturalized and hold clearances, so apply away. I do know one dude who was from SA now that I think about it, but he's enlisted. I think he has a clearance too but I'm not familiar with his trade (AVN tech).

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Did you become a Canadian citizen as a minor or recently? The path if you came in recently (not a minor) usually involves getting an out of country criminal and credit check from whatever country you came from. As part of your application you'll also fill out a form regarding anything that might count as a 'foreign implication' which we make a cursory pass over and if it seems like the answer is 'yes' it goes off to ottawa and someone there makes a decision regarding how much more detail they will need. I'm not totally in the know of country specific things, beyond commonwealth/USA (usually smooth sailing) vs Pakistan (hope you're not planning on this being a quick application). Honestly, your local recruiting centre should be pretty helpful in terms of guiding you towards a career that suits your interests/education/fills this year's intake. Intelligence is almost never open and you require quite specific educational background. Signals is (last I checked) one of the few officer trades that is hiring, but again, you need pretty specific education.

TLDR;
Get your application in, the security stuff will work out in the wash. You do need to be a citizen though, not a permanent resident.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
In addition, INT and Sigs will typically require the same clearance levels, so neither will be "easier" to get into

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Suck a big fat hefty sac Julian Fantino, you piece of poo poo.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

MA-Horus posted:

Suck a big fat hefty sac Julian Fantino, you piece of poo poo.

There could not have been someone more unsuited to the portfolio (or public office, I'd like to think) than him. Even if his replacement changes nothing and is simply a friendlier face of the same policies it will be an improvement. Actually, this is probably the plan.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

ub posted:

There could not have been someone more unsuited to the portfolio (or public office, I'd like to think) than him. Even if his replacement changes nothing and is simply a friendlier face of the same policies it will be an improvement. Actually, this is probably the plan.

New minister is at least ex military, even if it is just as an air force captain :v:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It's not like we could be more hosed. Although the National Post running almost daily editorials about the state of the military is pretty funny, since they feel the need to run editorials on the facing page about how the scary Liberals will make things even worse.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

The only way the Libs could make things worse would be to slash the reserves.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

MA-Horus posted:

The only way anyone could make things better would be to slash the whale habitat at NDHQ

FTFY

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Well, it looks like the US is auctioning off its surplus HMMWVs. I wonder how cost-effective it would be to buy those as replacements for LSVWs.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Canuck-Errant posted:

cost-effective

Not a top consideration in CF procurement.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Canuck-Errant posted:

Well, it looks like the US is auctioning off its surplus HMMWVs. I wonder how long it would take before DND procured them for multiple times market value, had them hastily refurbished to some non-compatible-with-anyone-but-us spec (in Quebec, of course), and then delayed delivery time until well past usefulness.

FTFY

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

You forgot about the part where it gets cancelled, and then pay billions in cancellation costs.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Besides, it's not like nearly half of the budget for almost every wheeled vehicle was smashed :ironicat: HMMVWs are too useful though, we need to buy some poo poo like a minstral ship because a bargain is a bargain :woop:

e. On a lark I wikipedia'd the minstral. Russia ordered in 2011, construction began in 2012, it was launched in 2013, sea trials began in 2014, and it's supposed to be commissioned this year. I'm not too spun up on navy, but didn't it take us longer than that just to get our already-built submarines working? :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug
It's what happens when you buy a proven design and have it built by the people who designed it, in a shipyard that already exists. We will be doing none of these things.